DBWI Cyprus was given independence?

WI it was decided to make Cyprus an independent state (with some form of ethnic power-sharing) rather than divide it between Greece and Turkey?

Keenir

Banned
WI it was decided to make Cyprus an independent state (with some form of ethnic power-sharing) rather than divide it between Greece and Turkey?

then you need to get the British nincomput (who organized the division) to die in WW1 or WW2.

(ooc: there was a power-sharing arrangement prior to the invasions)

I suppose a POD could be a far better fate for the federal systems of the Federative Kingdom of Irak and the Federation of Syria-Lebanon, these experiments proved at the end (1960´s) a complete failure involving ethnic uprisings and a virtual civil war -in the case of Irak an almost virtual implosion before the intervention of the Second League of Nations could put some order to the chaos- (I say some order, not total order:rolleyes:).

The United Kingdom-Commonwealth and the French Republic had the idea after the World War II of trying to create federations or federative entities to prolongue his real dominion over his old colonies (at the end with the possible exception of the Associated State of Algeria under the presidency of Ferhat Abbas the most part of the federations ended in a failure), if they had been more realistic instead of creating artificial federations could be that Cyprus, that had the bad luck of letting of being a UK colony in 1975 after the failure of the federation models in 1960´s, had become a federative republic between greeks and turks, the models but had failed and Cyprus was decided to be divided between greeks and turks.

So the problem is surely we would need a POD that made possible not begin a so massive experiment of federalization after the World War II.

Had worked Cyprus as independent state?, I have my doubts, some border skirmishes and the quasi war of 1990-91 between Greece and Turkey proved that tensions between turks and greeks in Cyprus could become very high.

I think instead the intervention of the troops of the Second League of Nations in Irak, we have seen them in Cyprus trying to avoid a total confrontation between greeks and turks within of this ATL Federated Republic of Cyprus.