DBAHC screw the CSA

Assuming the Confederate States of America are still formed in 1860, how do you keep them from being the strongest and most advanced country in the world?

Deleted member 114175

Assuming the Confederate States of America are still formed in 1860, how do you keep them from being the strongest and most advanced country in the world?

How? The Northern states that seceded to form the Confederacy, against federal abuses like the Fugitive Slave Act and Corwin Amendment, were already the fastest industrializing areas in the world besides England itself. The most industrialized nations became the most powerful, so of course the country with New England and New York would dominate the following century.

Anawrahta

Banned
Villain! Do not blasphemize the memory of the blessed Jefferson Davis and his cabinet! His divine grace ensured the triumph of the word of god, that of Abraham over that of the Babylonian North!
May you see the light.

Villain! Do not blasphemize the memory of the blessed Jefferson Davis and his cabinet! His divine grace ensured the triumph of the word of god, that of Abraham over that of the Babylonian North!
May you see the light.

The Holy American Empire certainly had some interesting views on separation of church and state, yes.

I mean, you could have the Southern Alliance between the Union and Mexico victorious in the Resumption War in the 1890s.

Well, we have the classic Decades of Darkness right here on the site-though it, too, has a much earlier secession. Like others have said, hindering the industrialization of the North seems difficult by 1860. It would be a lot easier with an earlier POD.

I think other posters might be thinking too narrowly though. After all, the question here is how to stop the Yankees from being so powerful relative to the world, not how to make the South come out on top over the North. @JMT 's idea should work--stopping the Union from losing the border areas and the rest of the West in the Resumption War would be a massive change in terms of resource control. Even if the Southern Alliance still loses, if their performance isn't as utterly disastrous, the terms of peace could be more favorable. IDK if you can totally avoid the Era of Collapse, but a bigger, more developed Union falling to pieces could be an even bigger hindrance for Boston, especially if there are more hostile rump/successor states to back insurgencies and generally act as a thorn in their side.

I just don't know how much the Mexicans and Union by themselves can retard Confederate power. It might behoove Charlotte and Mexico City to sponsor rebellions in the Confederate West as well. Perhaps recognizing the Deseret Empire could work?

Honestly, I've always been impressed with how progressive and focused on social justice the Deseret Empire is. A POD to avert that might be the death of Brigham Young or something.

I meant to say that Young dying led to a more liberal church.

I phrased it poorly.

Ah. my fault. If Young dies on schedule and Brigham II averts the Year of Three Apostles, that would probably avert the Mormon Crusade right after the Resumption War. If not, a stronger Southern Alliance might invite Deseret as a co-partner. That solves Confederate dominance in the West, but what about Canada?

Dolan

Banned
Actually having the separatist confederation formed by the south instead of the north would be the start.

Or at least have the Constitution did not specify People of British, French, German, and Nordic Descent as founders of America, causing the abolition movement to gain tract instead of torpedoed halfway