Crusader Kings III

I think they'd need to be some major performance improvements first to stop things grinding to a halt in the late game
Especially with the hypothetical armies fucking China could field. Yeesh. But yeah, that's why I'm sceptical. As much as I'd love to do a medieval Japanese Empire or even play in Southeast Asia beyond Burma, the giant China-sized hole in the map makes it very unlikely. Maybe they'll do a "Silk Road" type thing like they did in CK2, where China is an off-map entity you can interact with.

Edit: I should clarify, without mods. I'm aware several mods add this content. I tend to avoid mods that change too much.

Last edited:
Some are hypothesising that this will also lead to China/East Asia being added to the torn-off right-hand side of the map, but I'm more sceptical of that.
The Devs themselves have actually said they eventually plan to add China/Indochina/Indonesia/Japan/Korea, though later on in the game's lifecycle. To quote dev diary 109:
I think it’s quite obvious that I eventually want to Expand the Map, to include the rest of the Old World. If we’d do it all at once or in segments is still up in the air, but regardless of what approach we take, it’s imperative that the area feels different to play in from the western half. While it’s obvious that the area would require a lot of unique art, I’d also want it to work differently from a mechanical standpoint - governments, faiths, etc. It’s an ambitious goal, but one I wish to tackle eventually.
In addition, notice the floorplan they provided a while back:
Floorplan.png

Box on the right hand side is the relevant one.

The limits of the game map also extend far enough to include the rest of the Old World to the east (simply being hidden), while not extending at all to the north, west or south.

Bear in mind, this doesn't mean any expansion is coming soon. There's quite a bit to do on the existing map, even after Chapter 3 (Legends/Plagues/Byzantium/Unlanded/Hitchhikers) is done. I'd expect at the very least that republics, trade, nomads, general warfare, aztecs and India would get a pass first.

Last edited:
Some are hypothesising that this will also lead to China/East Asia being added to the torn-off right-hand side of the map, but I'm more sceptical of that.
I'd be as well, especially because the Far East is a whole different beast compared to what's already in the game.

Hell, China's administration alone would need one giant overhaul beyond adding playable landless characters. The thing is mega complex and advanced compared to what governments are available in Europe or the Middle East in the Middle Ages. The organisation already feels like those of XVIIth Century Europe if not even beyond that.
By the way, PDX has stated that with landless play coming into the game, losing your titles won't be game over anymore anyway. Naturally if you die heirless that will still be game over, but you can continue playing as a landless noble.
Which is great for roleplay as now you get to play landless claimants that want their rightful throne, usurped rulers that want their crown back and tons of other variations of the genre. Or the obscure scion of long-lost family that wants to bring back glory to its name. Hell, maybe even created made-up continuations of bloodlines that are supposed to be extinct at the time like a Merovingian prince...

And now that I say this, I already see how that will please a number of Game of Throne fans, specifically those of the Blackfyres and Young Griff. Maybe Viserys the Beggar and Daenerys as well, though they have alternatives...
Maybe they'll do a "Silk Road" type thing like they did in CK2, where China is an off-map entity you can interact with.
They could but honestly China as an off-map power never really worked for me. Maybe it's because I never used the mechanic that much but honestly it never felt right.
The Devs themselves have actually said they eventually plan to add China/Indochina/Indonesia/Japan/Korea, though later on in the game's lifecycle.
Did they? It seems to me they had actually sworn the opposite.

They could but honestly China as an off-map power never really worked for me. Maybe it's because I never used the mechanic that much but honestly it never felt right.
It was a very weird mechanic that never really made sense.
Did they? It seems to me they had actually sworn the opposite.
I mean...
I think it’s quite obvious that I eventually want to Expand the Map, to include the rest of the Old World. If we’d do it all at once or in segments is still up in the air, but regardless of what approach we take, it’s imperative that the area feels different to play in from the western half. While it’s obvious that the area would require a lot of unique art, I’d also want it to work differently from a mechanical standpoint - governments, faiths, etc. It’s an ambitious goal, but one I wish to tackle eventually.
That's pretty damn blatant.

I've been getting a real kick out of the "Dynasty of Many Crowns" gameplay. I don't actually care about achievements - which is why I usually start with a custom character and cheese certain things for my own personal roleplay - but it is satisfying gradually setting up dynasty members on foreign thrones. My current game has my MC as King of England, Wales (technically - I never created the kingdom title, just let Gwynned conquer the whole lot then renamed it "Duchy of Wales" since "Principality" isn't a thing), and Ireland, with relatives on the thrones of Scotland, Denmark, Galicia, Brittany, Pomerania (via redirected crusade), and Sicily.

My only regret was getting involved with the Iberian Struggle. Constantly being called to war, and there are bigger penalties for declining now than there used to be, even though the King of Galicia has more than enough gold and troops to fight most battles on his own.

I've also been switching characters to create hybrid Anglo-Saxon/whatever cultures in certain places. Like Pomerania is now "Pommish" and the people are "Pomms". They speak Letichic with a West Germanic heritage. I keep getting dragged into wars there, too, actually, since my character's brother, the king, has been aggressively converting religions (he's got a good bishop - 29 learning isn't bad at all).

Just a reminder that Legends of the Dead is now out.

And that it has given me another reason to buy the DLC:
Kinda hope they asked Hildegard von Blingin to do other songs for them in the future.

Just a reminder that Legends of the Dead is now out.

And that it has given me another reason to buy the DLC:
Kinda hope they asked Hildegard von Blingin to do other songs for them in the future.
"Glitterhoof, Glitterhoof, Glitterhoof, Glitterhoof
I beg of thee, pray take not my lord
Glitterhoof, Glitterhoof, Glitterhoof, Glitterhoof
I fear, from thee, ‘twould take naught but a word
Thy beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory teeth and eyes of emerald green
Thy smile is like a breath of Temujin
Thy voice is soft like Aztec rain
And I cannot compete with thee
Glitterhoof
He talketh of thee in his sleep mode
And alas, I cannot keep
From weeping when I hear thy name
Glitterhoof
Although it is so plain to see
How little he doth mean to thee
My love for him is boundless as the DLCs.
I fear, from you, ‘twould take naught but a word
Thou couldst have thy choice of secret bears
But I could never love again
He is the only one for me
Glitterhoof
I would risk both eye and limb
To spend my only days with him
My stress level is at thy whim,
Glitterhoof
I fear, from thee, ‘twould take naught but a console command..."

Thank you, I'll be here all night!

Last edited:
ATTTENTION PLEASE! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
After the End has officially been released on Steam for CK3! Finally! Post-apocalyptic America, here we go!

Not sure where I'll do my first playthrough... Usually I played Quebec, but I'm kinda tempted to see if they made a ref to Araucania-Patagonia now that they've added all of South America to their map.

ATTTENTION PLEASE! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
After the End has officially been released on Steam for CK3! Finally! Post-apocalyptic America, here we go!

Not sure where I'll do my first playthrough... Usually I played Quebec, but I'm kinda tempted to see if they made a ref to Araucania-Patagonia now that they've added all of South America to their map.

I think I'm going to wait for the expansion that makes unlanded characters playable before tackling the mod, right now it's in a beta state and I need a list of real life/pop culture playable characters to choose from that's updated to this new version - even though I did find an obvious Frank Herbert reference already (a child count in the Pacific Northwest with a sandworm in his coat of arms), and Patagonia is a formable empire. :p