Create a Timeline!

In this thread, we are going to create a timeline, with the butterflies applied if we want it. This is going to be mainly fun. I suggest we throw in a surviving Byzantine Empire, that by the modern day, is confined to Hellas and Anatolia.

Alright! Howsabout our initial POD being Caesar surviving his assassination attempt and living long enough to consolidate his empire, lead an abortive invasion of Persia and divide his empire up between Augustus and Caesarion? Augustus gets Europe, minus Greece and plus North Africa, while Caesarion gets the rest, plus Egypt. We can roll on from there.

Alright! Howsabout our initial POD being Caesar surviving his assassination attempt and living long enough to consolidate his empire, lead an abortive invasion of Persia and divide his empire up between Augustus and Caesarion? Augustus gets Europe, minus Greece and plus North Africa, while Caesarion gets the rest, plus Egypt. We can roll on from there.
I was intending this to be more relaxed about butterflies, like Ill Bethisad.

I was intending this to be more relaxed about butterflies, like Ill Bethisad.

Mmm, okay. Well, maybe Byzantine society experiences a cultural and political resurgence under an even more brilliant Leo III, allowing him and his successors to stabilize the borders against the Arabs and preserve the empire.

I like that. Maybe throw in a Romance-speaking Morocco?

That sounds good! Maybe the Reconquista manages to push into Morocco and take over today's Morocco (including Spanish Sahara). Later on, the Berbers feel their way to a national identity and establish an independent, Spanish-speaking Morocco.

That sounds good! Maybe the Reconquista manages to push into Morocco and take over today's Morocco (including Spanish Sahara). Later on, the Berbers feel their way to a national identity and establish an independent, Spanish-speaking Morocco.
Goodie!

List of things in this Little TL.
-A Romance-speaking Morocco.
-A Byzantine resurgence.

Maybe, to balance it out, we can have a Muslim Southern Italy?

Sounds good! Perhaps as a tradeoff for solidified control around Ravenna, north Dalmatia, Greece, and Anatolia, Byzantium loses southern Italy and with it Sardinia and Corsica! Sort of a tit-for-tat thing.

Rudimentary timeline: Leo III begins spurring a cultural and political revolution in 718, and launches an assault on the Caliphate in 720, in conjunction with Yazid ibn al-Muhallab's revolt in Iraq. The border is pushed further east and south to Beirut and Damascus, while the Caliph's forces manage to take Sicily and southern Italy. Leo III makes a peace favorable to the Rhomanians, though Aragon manages to establish control over Sardinia and Corsica, as well as begin unifying northern Spain under its own flag. The first phase of the Aragonese-led Reconquista begins a year later, when Aragon manages to launch its own assault on Muslim Spain, taking territory as far as Valencia.

Later on, Aragon-unified Spain (with or without Portugal, not sure yet) launches an assault on Morocco and takes it.

Sounds good! Perhaps as a tradeoff for solidified control around Ravenna, north Dalmatia, Greece, and Anatolia, Byzantium loses southern Italy and with it Sardinia and Corsica! Sort of a tit-for-tat thing.

Rudimentary timeline: Leo III begins spurring a cultural and political revolution in 718, and launches an assault on the Caliphate in 720, in conjunction with Yazid ibn al-Muhallab's revolt in Iraq. The border is pushed further east and south to Beirut and Damascus, while the Caliph's forces manage to take Sicily and southern Italy. Leo III makes a peace favorable to the Rhomanians, though Aragon manages to establish control over Sardinia and Corsica, as well as begin unifying northern Spain under its own flag. The first phase of the Aragonese-led Reconquista begins a year later, when Aragon manages to launch its own assault on Muslim Spain, taking territory as far as Valencia.

Later on, Aragon-unified Spain (with or without Portugal, not sure yet) launches an assault on Morocco and takes it.
Excellent! Now, how about the New World? I was thinking, maybe make the USA-analogue from a number of different colonies, thus making it multi-ethnical.

Excellent! Now, how about the New World? I was thinking, maybe make the USA-analogue from a number of different colonies, thus making it multi-ethnical.

I could see that as sort of a crowning moment of badass for the timeline: multiple colonies (Aragonese, maybe Portuguese, alt-French, alt-English, etc.), all unified in their rage against their harsh masters, rise up in multiethnic heroism and kick the colonialists out, then create a nation which will dominate the world for centuries and will support freedom and democracy around the world. Basically, the US if it was multiethnic and supercool.

I could see that as sort of a crowning moment of badass for the timeline: multiple colonies (Aragonese, maybe Portuguese, alt-French, alt-English, etc.), all unified in their rage against their harsh masters, rise up in multiethnic heroism and kick the colonialists out, then create a nation which will dominate the world for centuries and will support freedom and democracy around the world. Basically, the US if it was multiethnic and supercool.
We need a badass name. What should the name be?

To briefly switch to the Old World:

How about a disunited Germany? Say, Bavaria, Saxony, and two or three other states.

We need a badass name. What should the name be?

(The) Democratic Republic of *America.

"Land of the Free" in Latin or Greek.

Depending on religion/s, something based on the idea of heaven (or as close as man can make) on earth.

Volkstaat - though that would require more German.

Last edited:

How about a disunited Germany? Say, Bavaria, Saxony, and two or three other states.

And a Prussia that went east, not west?

How about this? The Union of Federated American Provinces.

Bavaria, Saxony, a smaller Prussia, and a far more powerful Hanover sounds good to me. What about France? Does France make it out of the Middle Ages intact, or is there a modern Burgundy?

How about the Democratic Federated Union of Sancheria, instead? (Named after one of the Kings of Aragon-led *Spain.) It's got a more Spanish feel, and I like that.

Bavaria, Saxony, a smaller Prussia, and a far more powerful Hanover sounds good to me. What about France? Does France make it out of the Middle Ages intact, or is there a modern Burgundy?

How about the Democratic Federated Union of Sancheria, instead? (Named after one of the Kings of Aragon-led *Spain.) It's got a more Spanish feel, and I like that.
That sounds good. Plus, modern Burgundy? Sign me up!

No Prussia. At least not with any connection to OTL's. For the love of God, no.

A Prussia that is based on the Old Prussians, that could be cool. Or a Prussia that has a nautical tradition. Just not Brandenburg-Prussia as we know it, smaller or not.

As for France, good question. I'd go for divided, just because a Europe made of multiple medium sized states is interesting.

How about the Democratic Republic of Sancheria, instead? (Named after one of the Kings of Aragon-led *Spain.) It's got a more Spanish feel, and I like that.
That could work.