COVFEFE - COlours Veritably For Everything For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody who agrees that more colours for Iran are desperately needed - more needed than colours for Saxe-Meiningen or Secondary Kansas, Mecklenburg-Schwerin or Strelitz - will get them sooon...

Well... this is the newest update of COVFEFE.

http://i.imgur.com/s8utD50.png

s8utD50.png

I told him not to just copy and paste the format of TOASTER.
In retrospect, it was a bit confusing, and I probably should have made it clearer; but I meant that he shouldn't just copy and paste TOASTER and then use it [with additions of course] as his own scheme.
Very confused here.

Was he authorized to use your work or not?

Last edited:
i told him not to just copy and paste the format of toaster. in retrospect it was a bit confusing, and i probably should have made it clearer, but i meant that he shouldn't just copy and paste toaster and then use it [with additions ofc] as his oown scheme
I think CalBear asks you if there's a case of plagiarism there in your opinion or not, rather than to translate the mock-IRC post you did. Is there?

still thinking it's plagiarism
Okay : I personally find a bit weird to consider a colour scheme as a personal work, giving that most of them on board can directly be traced from the original TCS, and that they tend to be collaborative works.
But that's not for me to decide, so here we go.

Skallagrim

Banned
Now it's back to the whole 'plagiarism' debacle? This is getting preposterous. Lots of people contributed to TOASTER, and in its origin, it was in turn based on colours used and conventions introduced by earlier schemes. There is no way anyone can claim that all of TOASTER is his or her work, and ban others from expanding on it.

As long as credit is given, continuing a work that was collaborative in the first place cannot be plagiarism.

This covfefe is based on toaster, which is in turn based on x2, which in turn is based on older works.

X2 is specifically stated to follow https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ for licencing purposes and derivative works. Seeing how those terms work, its basically impossible for the owners of toaster to say this is a violation, since their use of X2 as source material means they implicitly agreed to those licencing terms. In particular, insisting that the format be changed in order to use the work is in effect an additional restriction on usage, which is not allowed by the licence.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

As long as credit is given, continuing a work that was collaborative in the first place cannot be plagiarism.

My understanding is that this belief is not generally correct when legal niceties get involved. The creative commons licence as used by X2 (and by implication, its derivatives) was written to enable this kind of activity (among other things). But that doesn't mean this always applies.

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
My understanding is that this belief is not generally correct when legal niceties get involved.

Very true, although it depends on the jurisdiction. I have no idea where the various contributors live, nor where the Ah.com servers are located. As far as I know the laws where I live, one might try to prove which specific additions he/she made and demand that those spcific elements be removed from later edits. But that would be very tricky indeed.

However that is all rendered moot by...

The creative commons licence as used by X2 (and by implication, its derivatives) was written to enable this kind of activity (among other things).

...the creative commons licence, which would indeed apply to all derivative works by definition. So that pretty much settles the whole issue. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.