Could the GOP win in 1980 without Watergate?

Deleted member 204809

Assuming that the Watergate break-in never occurs or is never brought to light, I think it is fair to say the GOP wins in 1976; but is it possible for them to also win in 1980, if a large chunk of the hardship endured by the Carter administration also never occurs? Moreover, if we can devise a scenario in which the GOP does win in 1980... could they not also win in 1984 and beyond?

Winning streaks don't last forever.
Although Nixon had built a very strong coalition, the GOP troubles began before the Watergate scandal after the resignation and pardon of Spiro Agnew and the economy had begun to falter. Neither of these factors wouldn't necessarily be enough to cost the GOP the election; after all, even with Watergate Ford still had a pretty strong showing in '76. But you also have primaries under very different circumstances as OTL where Ford hasn't been president and the conservative revolt with in the GOP would either not happen or would be delayed.
Personally, I think that whomever is elected in '76 would have a very hard time getting reelected in 1980 barring any strong butterflies. Especially because, the economy will continue to slump due to external factors.

Should Ford wins in 1976 and messes up big time by 1980 due to the economy and also messing up the Iran crisis, there would be no chance for a Reagan victory in 1980. Instead, we can see one James Earl Carter making a second run for the presidency in 1980 and winning it.....

Deleted member 204809

Should Ford wins in 1976 and messes up big time by 1980 due to the economy and also messing up the Iran crisis, there would be no chance for a Reagan victory in 1980. Instead, we can see one James Earl Carter making a second run for the presidency in 1980 and winning it.....
Who’s to say Ford is the nominee in 1976? And without Watergate, would Carter be the nominee in 1976?

Perhaps because Nixon has more clout without Watergate he can get Connally to replace Agnew. Bush replacing Agnew and then being rebuked in 1976, forced to become Reagan’s VP, would be the most comical scenario to me. Ultimately, I think Reagan is destined for a 1976 run here.

Perhaps because Nixon has more clout without Watergate he can get Connally to replace Agnew. Bush replacing Agnew and then being rebuked in 1976, forced to become Reagan’s VP, would be the most comical scenario to me. Ultimately, I think Reagan is destined for a 1976 run here.
More then likely even without watergate he would still pick Ford as the scandal did not really have much of an impact at that point in his presidency more it was pressure from congressional leaders that made him choose it. I agree though that he probably doesn’t get the nomination in 1976 and instead Reagan or maybe Connelly gets it and wins a very narrow election probably losing in 1980 just because of a bad economy and a similarly bad situation in Iran. As for the democratic candidate I think maybe Udall in 1976 who loses and then maybe a moderate semi charismatic guy in 1980 like Birch Bayh wins.

I'm a strong believer that 1976 was much less of a poisoned chalice than people tend to think. While there were certainly economic difficulties, Carter's loss in 1980 is in large part attributable to preventable bungling of administrative management and foreign affairs. While voter fatigue and a drooping economy would drag down the Republicans' chances, I think it's likely that they win in 1976 and that it would be possible for them to win in 1980 without Watergate.

The conventional wisdom would be that Richard Nixon's favourite cabinet member, John Connally, would succeed him as the Republican nominee. While Connally was most definitely a conservative, it wasn't his brand nearly as much as it was Ronald Reagan's. If Connally were to win the nomination, he would have to take up all the space in the party's centre-right to lock out the likes of Bob Dole, then convince enough moderates that might otherwise support the likes of Charles Percy or Howard Baker that he's the only viable alternative to Reagan. Likewise, Nelson Rockefeller is very likely to run for a final doomed effort at the nomination. That would put Connally in the exact same position Nixon was in eight years earlier: as a desirable middle point between Reagan and Rockefeller. All this to say, there would be lots of ways for his candidacy to be derailed, but he would be the perceived frontrunner going into the primaries.

As for the Democrats, there would be much less of a mood for an outsider populist without Watergate. This would weaken Jimmy Carter and strengthen the more establishment candidates. According to polling IOTL, Hubert Humphrey was the preferred candidate of most Democrats. Despite that, Humphrey was very uncomfortable with the primary process and frequently stated that he would not run in the primaries, but would accept a draft movement or the nomination at a brokered convention. Because of his grasp of the still-new primary system I think Carter would still be a formidable candidate, but if the Anyone But Carter establishment candidates do well enough to prevent him from winning before the convention, and if there isn't a clear frontrunner among their number, then Humphrey would be the go-to choice for the nomination. Humphrey would probably feel obligated to ask Carter to be his running mate. Other than Carter, Humphrey was also considering the idea of a unity ticket with George McGovern as his running mate. In the event that they win, McGovern would become president in 1978 upon Humphrey's death!

In a Connally v. Humphrey match-up without Watergate, I think Connally would win but that Humphrey would do a lot to rebuild the Democrats' strength in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic. Not super close but not a blowout either. As a side note, Eugene McCarthy would not have run his independent presidential campaign in 1976 if Humphrey was the Democratic nominee; he had significantly mellowed on Humphrey after their rivalry in 1968 and considered him well-equipped to be president. IOTL McCarthy got about 1% of the vote nationwide, mostly at Carter's expense, and without him on the ballot Carter almost certainly would've won in Oregon.

Given his history of corruption I think that a Connally Administration would be a sinking ship by the end of his term. If an investigation into Connally is thorough enough it might even uncover Watergate a few years later than IOTL! However, I think a more upstanding Republican with a good relationship with Congress, like Baker, could run a competent enough administration that he could be re-elected in 1980.

Last edited: