Could support for Austria-Hungary be revived after its partition?

I'm curious about what conditions would be necessary to make an Austro-Hungarian reunion a popular belief within those two nations. This isn't AHC: rebuild the Austro-Hungarian empire, but it is a thought experiment into what kind of circumstances would make it desirable for laymen and/or the political elite to see the two nations reunite, whether or not it actually happens in the end.

And if the short answer to this question is 'it's flatly impossible', could you at least explain why? I'm curious about this area and I'd like to learn more about its politics in the interwar period.

There were certainly people, substantial numbers in some places, who wanted to revive the Austro-Hungarian Empire on one level or another, but IIRC it was about at the level of Esperanto - seen as eccentric and unlikely to succeed by most. I'll have to do a bit of thinking to figure out a PoD that makes the idea of reviving Austria-Hungary more popular.

You could see relatively noticable minorities in the former territory of the A-HE, however this would basically be in all of it except Hungary, as that's where the opposition to it always was.

I agree with Iori that a major stumbling block is opposition from Hungary, whose people were never entirely thrilled with the idea of Austria-Hungary in the first place.

I could potentially see a "union of crowns" situation covering Austria and Hungary, but I can't imagine any of the other former territories wanting a part of the union.

You could see relatively noticable minorities in the former territory of the A-HE, however this would basically be in all of it except Hungary, as that's where the opposition to it always was.

Didn't Hungary almost put a Hapsburg back on the throne in the '20s?

Are we talking full on re-integration or more simply a union of the crowns type situation?

A simple dynastic union is an option but I was wondering just how far they could reintegrate (and whether, perhaps, this could be achieved as a republic, for example).

Didn't Hungary almost put a Hapsburg back on the throne in the '20s?

Unless it was the same one as somewhere else that's not really saying much; most of Europe's Monarchies, past and present, were/are from only a handful of Dynasties.

Austria-Hungary: Not One Entity

It is a common misconception that Austria-Hungary was one country. It was never united politically, they did not share parliaments, they had different laws, separate constitutions, and there own armies. They were only related in one respect: the Emperor of Austria was also the King of Hungary. A modern day unity of Austria and Hungary would be nothing more than Karl Habsburg-Lothringen to reclaim the two thrones.

I agree that a reunion is unlikely, whithout many outward and inward factors changing.

It is a common misconception that Austria-Hungary was one country. It was never united politically, they did not share parliaments, they had different laws, separate constitutions, and there own armies. They were only related in one respect: the Emperor of Austria was also the King of Hungary. A modern day unity of Austria and Hungary would be nothing more than Karl Habsburg-Lothringen to reclaim the two thrones.

It was very much one country. Until 1867. And even after it was very much more than a simple personal union. There was a common governmental body. There were several ministries that held power over both parts of the Empire - Financial Ministry, Exterior Ministry and War Ministry IIRC, though there might have been others.
It was never a centralised nationstate like France for example, but the same wasn't true at the time for Germany, or for the matter the USA.

The Little Entente was formed precisely as a reaction against the possibility, so there's that going against it as well.