Could Mexico retake Texas?

Hello alternative history fans. I'm sure this has been asked before but I've had a brainwave so wanted to ask the question.

Wi Mexico takes advantage of the American civil ware (or it's aftermath...) and re takes Texas and or New Mexico?

That feels like it would be, under the best conditions, "take but not keep" - as in, the US will not react by just giving them up even if Mexico somehow manages an initially successful invasion.

You double posted this.

At the time of the American Civil War, Mexico was having troubles of its own what with the French trying to install an Emperor and all.

Even if they decided to try and take it, I think even the Confederates would be able to lay a pretty severe beat down on the Mexican army in the early 1860s. The Mexican-American War was not exactly a close run thing (at least on the battlefield) and Mexico's army hadn't improved much since.

Hello alternative history fans. I'm sure this has been asked before but I've had a brainwave so wanted to ask the question.

Wi Mexico takes advantage of the American civil ware (or it's aftermath...) and re takes Texas and or New Mexico?

You are aware that Mexico was at war with France on that time? Not really possible wage war with onter nation when you are almost occupied by another one.

And Texas was already really anglified. Mexico not want that back. And not sure if it wants even other lost places back anyway.

Maybe if Emperor Maximilian wins and somehow gets French support. But I can't see France giving that support when Prussia is at the gates.

When French have won the war, ACW is probably over already so it would be impossible. And I don't think that Mexico wants even more troubles.

And if CSA wins the civil war, it would be really stupid antagonise CSA since it would be useful ally and help make USA weaker. And even more stupid would be annoy USA which has won the civil war.

It's also important to remember that Mexico would be in effect declaring war on two different nations, not just the CSA. The Union might appreciate the distraction this poses to the South, but ultimately they'll be committed to recapturing that territory from the Mexicans. On top of that, this is about the worst timing Mexico could choose. It's fresh out of a brutal civil war, has either just been defeated by the French or has just fought off the French depending on your POD, and the USA and CSA are both fully mobilized and prepared for war. And as if it couldn't be a worse decision, the USA is likely to abolish slavery during or shortly after the war, meaning that seizing additional territory from Mexico is going to be a lot less politically controversial than it had been a decade or so prior.

After Texas joins the Union it is impossible, even if it became a part of the Confederacy, the Union never recognized the Confederacy as an independent country, so it claimed all its territory. Even if Mexico were free to invade Texas during the American Civil War, the US will want it back.

In a Mexico vs the Republic of Texas, Mexico can easily overrun Texas. It didn’t do so after the treaty of Velasco because Texas independence was an established fact, even if Mexico never acknowledged it, and the US recognized and supported the Republic. France and the UK followed. So, it is not a question of capability, but of political reality.

Maybe, if the US and Mexico come to an understanding in the early 1840s, with Mexico agreeing to sell its part of Colorado, Utah, most of Nevada and Northern California perhaps with a US guarantee that Mexico can keep Southern California, Arizona, the southern tip of Nevada, New Mexico and throwing Texas under the bus while it is still independent, then sure, Mexico can come back and finish them off. France and the UK will protest but won’t go to war with Mexico over Texas if the US is not supporting them.

For some reason this transported me to a TL where Mexico agreed to back Germany as per the terms of the Zimmerman Telegram.

As far as I can tell the invasion might have some early success but would falter once the US military turns its full attention to Mexico.

Another question, if Mexico invades the United States, does the US still intervene in Europe, or does it concentrate on Mexico?

For some reason this transported me to a TL where Mexico agreed to back Germany as per the terms of the Zimmerman Telegram.

As far as I can tell the invasion might have some early success but would falter once the US military turns its full attention to Mexico.

Another question, if Mexico invades the United States, does the US still intervene in Europe, or does it concentrate on Mexico?

I doubt that any Mexican governm,ent would accept Zimmermann Telegraph. Furthermore it would be still horrible timing for Mexico since the country was midst of revolutinary war. And Mexico hardly even bothered about something what it had lost already almost 70 years ago.

But if Mexico would be stupid and insane enough USA would concentrate its focus to Mexico and probably easily takes Mexico City and enforce the country to peace.

No, because the CSA was quite a bit stronger. Also, Mexico was in civil war and under French intervention in the early 1860s.