Columbus's Ship Sinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets say in the middle of Columbus's journey to " The New World " , the ship gets caught in a storm and sinks , killing all the crew.

Would this make people in general scared of exploring?

I think people would assume he " fell " off the world or something.

I think the discovery of the Americans would be pushed back to like the mid 16th century when someone has a crack at trying again.

What do You think?

To make things interesting, the crew were angry of going through this endless ocean. Rebellion against Columbus was pretty near

For exploration, They might think that he died on the way and that road might be forgotten for good, and they'll have to settle with the long road that goes around Africa.

Had this happen, then Portugal, already discovered Africa, might become the controlling power of that ear for centuries to come, and their English allies might get some wealth too. Ottoman Empire would be tougher nut to crack.

As for exploration, the Atlantic road might be forgotten, and the exploration might be at the hands of Chinese and Russians

This is the wrong forum, it was a myth that people believed the world was flat, give up exploration? After one tensy-wensy shipwreck? Hell no! This is human nature man. Even if Columbus's main ship sinks theres still the two other ships, they'll just pick whoever survives and move on.

Fisplen, it would work
in the Before 1900 forum.
Were you speculating on what the present day would look like if Columbus had been lost? Does sound like a great idea.

Last edited:
... and Gavin Menzies is proven right?

Always wondered why his Chinese didn't sail one of those things up the Thames. Those ladies selling flunders down at the Strand would surely have something to talk about.

((Imagine Monty Python doing that one: "wha' is tha' big ship ov'tha"? "Is a frig' 'ouse on the riv'r, is it". and so on)

Ivan

He might be making the wider point that Menzies would probably use anything at this stage in support of his theories.

AHA PROOF

Ah. Well, sure. Menzies seems to operate on the theory that all Menzies has to do is say so, therefore something really happened.

Is'true. I think he mentions somewhere that they also were the first on the moon. Looking it up, yep, pg 126. There is a map of the moon craters. thougt so.

The worst thing is my father largely believes Menzies, at least, his first book.

God knows why. I've sent him a few links to reviews by archaeologists or historians, but he seems to have accepted that there is some sort of conspiracy.

Saw this in a NZ review recently

Like its predecessor, 1434 drags New Zealand prehistory into its turgid narrative. Menzies claims that his Chinese fleet was on its way home after its triumphant visit to Europe when a massive comet struck the southern ocean, creating a fiery tsunami which washed hundreds of burnt-out junks up on the New Zealand coast. Some of the Chinese survived, and became ancestors of 'the Maoris'. Menzies' 'evidence' for this last claim offers another example of his cynical misuse of the work of serious scholars of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.