Cold War alternative mini-scenarios thread

Apart fron the 'Stans - despite official condemnation there were substantial numbers of devout Moslems in the USSR.
Yes, exactly. I didn´t want to go into too much detail because I do not have the time, but I did not even begin to speak of the many Muslim majority autonomies within the RSFSR unit, with Chechnya being the obvious one that comes to mind.

I thought a particularly ironic one would be the Soviet Union managing to win the Cold War somehow, only for a united GDR Germany and Red France managing to end up essentially economically hijacking the Warsaw Pact out from under it as it's grip over it's satellite states and allies slowly starts to erode.

Not sure how'd you set up something like that though.

Cuba loans a small island to hardline communists during Cold War as a secret base to train insurgents to fuel Latin America liberation movements

Cod war leads to a Icelandic vessel sinking a few British trawlers leaving fishermen to die in freezing arctic waters
RN responds by a task force that conducts shore bombardment of Reykjavik

USSR offers military help to Iceland in return

Last edited:
A soviet airliner is shot down by Japanese interceptors over international waters mistaken for a bomber
How will USSR respond ?

Last edited:
Cod war leads to a Icelandic vessel sinking a few British trawlers leaving fishermen to die in freezing arctic waters
RN responds by a task force that conducts shore bombardment of Reykjavik

USSR offers military help to Iceland in return
Iceland gets owned in both scenarios. The U.S. and the UK would not allow the Soviets to have a foothold in the GIUK gap.

Iceland gets owned in both scenarios. The U.S. and the UK would not allow the Soviets to have a foothold in the GIUK gap.
Mostly I think soviet offers will be empty rhetoric apart from sending a couple of naval ships they don’t have the capability to do much anyway