Christian Democratic Party of the US

Straha

Banned
Your mission if you choose to accept it is to make an america where
one of the two major political parties follows the morally conservative, fiscally liberal(in the US sense. As in leftist) paradigm of Christian Democracy( go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_democracy if you don't know what Christian Democracy is). What kind of effects would it have on US socieity anda the world?

Get the Pope's edict to "convert" all priests to Christian Democracy? Other Churches follow in their endorsment of such. I think Christian Democracy could take over the Democratic party in all but name.

Glen

Your mission if you choose to accept it is to make an america where
one of the two major political parties follows the morally conservative, fiscally liberal(in the US sense. As in leftist) paradigm of Christian Democracy( go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_democracy if you don't know what Christian Democracy is). What kind of effects would it have on US socieity anda the world?

I think it might be possible to do this in the early 20th century.

Actually, I have a couple ideas involving TR that would make the Democrats in the US into a morally conservative, economically liberal (left) political party.

Heck, I even get you half the name, Democrats....:rolleyes:

The pope? That party could only reach the Catholics, which are a minority in the US, and given the majority vote system...

Even in Germany, with its strong CD party, the (conservative-national) Protestants only started working together with the (more social) Catholics after the turmoil of WW2.

Glen

So what are the ideas? I'd like to see them.

They are still part of a top secret timeline.:D

However, the gist is that a TR win in 1912 leads to a gradual realignment in the parties, such that the Democrats develop into a socially conservative economically leftist coalition of Catholics and Baptists/Labor and Populists. The South stays Solid, religious values are a big thing, but they are heavily supported by the Unions and the Farmers.

Little Flower vs Cross of Gold

We generally like to think of William Jennings Bryan and Fr. Charles Coughlin as Right Wingers--the former of account of the Scopes Monkey Trial and the latter on account of his Antisemitism. However the Radical Democrats led by Bryan were at the time of his Presidential bids considered Left Wing and Fr. Coughlin's newsletter was Social Justice which was sort of Eat the Rich in its mentality. Greed and Lust were both generally considered deadly sins but in the post WWII there was essentially a cabal of which Bill Buckley was the most prominent member preaching a political theology that said Lust is Bad but Greed is Good (connected to which is the fact that conservatives generally fear Sloth even more than Lust).

Glen

We generally like to think of William Jennings Bryan and Fr. Charles Coughlin as Right Wingers--the former of account of the Scopes Monkey Trial and the latter on account of his Antisemitism. However the Radical Democrats led by Bryan were at the time of his Presidential bids considered Left Wing and Fr. Coughlin's newsletter was Social Justice which was sort of Eat the Rich in its mentality. Greed and Lust were both generally considered deadly sins but in the post WWII there was essentially a cabal of which Bill Buckley was the most prominent member preaching a political theology that said Lust is Bad but Greed is Good (connected to which is the fact that conservatives generally fear Sloth even more than Lust).

I've always considered Bryan a left winger.

Coughlin is a racist bastid to the best of my knowledge, but I didn't think of him as sprouting from the left or right particularly.