Chott el Djerid made into a canal or sea

Would it be physically possible to create a water connection between Chott el Djerid and the Med?

• No, it would not be possible to connect Chott el Djerid to the Mediterranean.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Yes, it would be possible to connect Chott el Djerid to the Mediterranean.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Yes, it would be possible, but further connections with other salt lakes would be impossible.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • "Yes, it would be possible, and further connections with other salt lakes is also possible."

Votes: 49 56.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 92195

Why don't you quote the post/comments you want to reply to? Then the originator of the post will get a alert, letting the poster to know that his post has been answeared. Sorry to bother you.

I don't know anything about this subject so this is a scatter projection find, but behold the behemoth of knowledge.
  • An inland sea for Africa (5 pages)
  • Biological Recovery Versus Desertization (9 pages)
  • Hydrogeochemical and isotope evidence of groundwater evolution in El Guettar Oasis area, Southwest Tunisia (22 pages)
  • Hydro-geochemical processes in the Complexe Terminal aquifer of southern Tunisia: An integrated investigation based on geochemical and multivariate statistical methods (15 pages)
  • Modelling rainfall-discharge at a mean inter-yearly scale in northern Algeria (13 pages)
  • Structural controls on Quaternary depocentres within the Chotts Trough region of southern Tunisia (13 pages)
  • Temporary wetlands: challenges and solutions to conserving a ‘disappearing’ ecosystem (9 pages)
  • The lifespan of the Complexe Terminal Aquifer, Algerian-Tunisian Sahara (6 pages)
However, I cannot attach them because they are too big.

SwampTiger

Banned
Yes, we are finding new information as we delve deeper, literally, into the subject. I've seen some of these papers over the last several years just bumming around the web.

Cause I'm computer illiterate! How do you include them?
I made a png picture for you.

Step 1.
SwampTiger a response.png

Step 2.
Swamp Tiger Extra.png

I made these swiftly for you, are they understandable?

The start quote decides who you are quoteing and which post you are that is being quoted

Last edited:
Okay, but how do you quote part of the message?
Just mark the part you do not want to respond to and delete it. Also if you want to cut up your response in pieces then copy the start quote aswell as the end quote, and then surround each piece of text you want to comment on.

Last edited:

SwampTiger

Banned
You can take a screenshot but you should try to remember it. Why don't you try and reply to someone using this new information?

Yes, I have been trying it out. Getting these old neurons and synapses snapping.

Getting back to the OP, if you can fill Melghigh and Garsa with an additional 30-40 meters of water, you may be able to run a canal through Djerid and Fedjedj, before reaching the drop off to the sea. A whole lotta water!

Yes, I have been trying it out. Getting these old neurons and synapses snapping.

Getting back to the OP, if you can fill Melghigh and Garsa with an additional 30-40 meters of water, you may be able to run a canal through Djerid and Fedjedj, before reaching the drop off to the sea. A whole lotta water!
Where do you picture the water originating? I picture it as coming from the mediterranen. Where will the water for Melghigh and Garsa come from, and how would it get there?

SwampTiger

Banned
That is our problem. I can see some coming from rainfall and desalinization efforts. The huge amount of water required will be the problem. Evaporation is your enemy. Thus, why I initially proposed digging through Djerid. I read recently that rainfall had created a large lake out of Djerid in the late 80's which disappeared two years later. See post #75 for the link.

That is our problem. I can see some coming from rainfall and desalinization efforts. The huge amount of water required will be the problem. Evaporation is your enemy. Thus, why I initially proposed digging through Djerid. I read recently that rainfall had created a large lake out of Djerid in the late 80's which disappeared two years later. See post #75 for the link.
Assuming that the mediterranen is the source of most of the water, then the main sourve will be infinite. I doubt that the mediterranen could run out of water, it is after all part of the world ocean.

SwampTiger

Banned
The question is how do you pump tens or hundreds of thousands of cubic meters of water into Djerid or farther west with man or beast power only? Wind power? How reliable is that? Foot powered pumps? How many will it take? How long will it take? Can you pump faster than evaporation? Only by digging a canal through Djerid, can you get the water to the western lakes.

I noted IF you could fill the western lakes, not that it was possible with the tech of the time. Start handing out shovels until you build the foot powered equivalent to a steam shovel. The project is possible, just hard. I saw a mention of hot springs in the area of Djerid, heating by geothermal forces. How would that affect the project? Do we have an idea of the height of the water table?

Questions, questions, questions. Can someone help us out?:)

The question is how do you pump tens or hundreds of thousands of cubic meters of water into Djerid or farther west with man or beast power only? Wind power? How reliable is that? Foot powered pumps? How many will it take? How long will it take? Can you pump faster than evaporation? Only by digging a canal through Djerid, can you get the water to the western lakes.

I noted IF you could fill the western lakes, not that it was possible with the tech of the time. Start handing out shovels until you build the foot powered equivalent to a steam shovel. The project is possible, just hard. I saw a mention of hot springs in the area of Djerid, heating by geothermal forces. How would that affect the project? Do we have an idea of the height of the water table?

Questions, questions, questions. Can someone help us out?:)
Maybe a underground canal connecting the mediterranen to the Chott could be a solution. By being underground there will be less evaporation, and less material will have to be removed. Could a underground canal be a solution? Was it possible with pre 1900 levels of tech?

Lets say that Chott el Djerid was connected directly to the Mediterranen as in a artifical extension of the Mediterranen. Then Chott el Djerid and other chotts that might be connected to the new Chott sea would have a bottomless source of water that would pour into the below sea water level of the region. The water would be saltwater, but that could be desaliniated for use later. Boats could also use the sea water to travel, connecting the region around the Chott sea more with the wider Mediterranen world.

http://flood.firetree.net
This site powered by NASAallows one to see how the world map would look if the sea rise. You can choose how many meters the water will rise, and then see how x meter sea level rise will affect the planets geography. The area that would be flooded is marked with a purple-ish color. I am not sure how this will help planning this ATL project, but it is intresting to look at.

If we look at the level of sea level rise that is needed for Chott el Djerid to be connected to the Mediterranen it is 50 M. But before that the various Chotts are getting more purple, it is just that on the coast around Gabes there seem to be a higher altitude of the ground level than in the Chotts. Once this ridge is broken the chotts will be flooded

Last edited:

SwampTiger

Banned
I have seen the interactive map. It was part of the reason I was pointing to Djerid needing a big ditch. I previously posted another interactive map listed the height above sea level in feet at selected spots in Post #73. We need to investigate the geology of the area. The subsurface may provide more problems. The canal builders will have a long hard task to get a sea level canal.

We know that Chott el Djerid has a surface elevation of between +10M and -25M. +10M means that it is 10 meters above sea level, while -25M is how many meters below sea level.

It would be intresting to know what the average elvation of Chott el Djerid! Is it above or below sea level?

Can we divide Chott el Djerid into areas based on elevation? This might help get a overlook of the area.