Chlorate gunpowder?

Would it have been possible to use a chlorate or perchlorate as the oxidiser in gunpowder, instead of potassium nitrate?

Yes, it's possible. There are significant drawbacks, though. First, while nitrates occur naturally and are relatively plentiful, chlorates and perchlorates are rare in nature and obtaining sufficient quantities would require chemical formulation, requiring extensive chemical knowledge and specialized equipment not available before the eighteenth century IOTL. Second, some chlorates and perchlorates are sensitive to shock, making them dangerous to handle and transport.

For one example, potassium chlorate was often substituted for mercury fulminate in cartridge primers, but is not suitable for gunpowder because it spontaneously combusts in the presence of sulfur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_chlorate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchlorate

Thirdly, wouldn't the residues -- containing potassium chloride as they would -- be even worse for the gun-barrels than the residues from using nitrate-based powder?

Thirdly, wouldn't the residues -- containing potassium chloride as they would -- be even worse for the gun-barrels than the residues from using nitrate-based powder?

Forgive me if I'm supposed to know with, but what would potassium chloride do? Iron, copper, and tin are all LOWER on the activity series than potassium.

Forgive me if I'm supposed to know with, but what would potassium chloride do? Iron, copper, and tin are all LOWER on the activity series than potassium.

Salts (like potassium chloride) when combined with water, including water vapor, cause ferrous metals (like iron and steel) to corrode rapidly. Ask any automobile owner in the northeast US; road salt is a major cause of corrosion.

@othyrsyde: You could, in theory, substitute cocoa powder for the charcoal, so chocolate gunpowder is possible. Coming soon to Equestria, I'm sure. :p

A 'gunpowder' based on pot chlorate is most definitely possible. It is incompatable with eyebrows. Don't ask how I know that

@othyrsyde: You could, in theory, substitute cocoa powder for the charcoal, so chocolate gunpowder is possible. Coming soon to Equestria, I'm sure. :p

And now, whenever I'm skimming threads on "Before 1900", I read this as "Chocolate gunpowder".:D

Has anyone, in fact, substantiated that cocoa powder in lieu of charcoal would actually work? The ramifications for the development of gunpowder weapons in both Equestria and the Mayan city-states are huge! :p

I don't think a direct substitution of cocoa for charcoal would work. Too much organic material. But you could chat the cocoa nibs, that should. However, I doubt that any civilization has not discovered charcoal. The charcoal is the easy bit, the oxidizer and, maybe, sulphur are the hard ones

I don't think a direct substitution of cocoa for charcoal would work. Too much organic material. But you could chat the cocoa nibs, that should. However, I doubt that any civilization has not discovered charcoal. The charcoal is the easy bit, the oxidizer and, maybe, sulphur are the hard ones

A direct substitution is possible but inefficient, as you surmised. Charring it first will produce a much better mixture.

@OP, another possible problem is that some chlorates and perchlorates are hygroscopic, so the powder would have to be kept in air-tight containers or regularly reprocessed to retain its efficiency.

I read the title as chocolate gunpowder.:p
There was a cocoa gunpowder. But this referred to one made with partially charred plant material (rye straw IIRC) and the cocoa referred to the colour. It was a slower burning powder for larger artillery.

Sodium nitrate (Chilean Saltpetre) is a real possibility for a gunpowder independently invented in South America. It is highly hygroscopic so there are serious supply issues. Perhaps transported as separate items and mixed as required on site?

othyrsyde I read the title as chocolate gunpowder.
That would explain these weapons.

chocolateWEAPONS.jpg

There was a cocoa gunpowder. But this referred to one made with partially charred plant material (rye straw IIRC) and the cocoa referred to the colour. It was a slower burning powder for larger artillery.

Sodium nitrate (Chilean Saltpetre) is a real possibility for a gunpowder independently invented in South America. It is highly hygroscopic so there are serious supply issues. Perhaps transported as separate items and mixed as required on site?

That sounds really interesting. Maybe I could use this in my TL.

Me too. Milk or plain?:D

Dark

Why did I read the thread title as 'Chocolate Gunpowder'? :confused:

Your not the only one.

That would explain these weapons.

chocolateWEAPONS.jpg

:p