Channel Islands Questions

1) Do the majority of the people who live on the Islands today speak French (or some dialect thereof) or English? Do many/most understand the minority of the two?

2) What did the majority of people speak in 1800?

3) In 1800 would the islanders rather be a part of France, or continue to be a Crown-land?

Thank you!

I live in Guernsey and have since 2011. Population here is supposedly 63,000. The French that is used is actually Norman French and VERY different to modern French in spelling and even more so in its sound. Eg Prennez le boz for take the bus. As to numbers speaking it, very few. Why? Because of the evacuation of the kids during the war. They happened to get sent to the north of England with the result that they came back having forgotten the language. So that generation saw an even bigger demise of the language allied to the slow death it already was suffering from.

There have been a few attempts to introduce guernesiase into classrooms but doesn't work out. There's enough of a problem with the selective system debate (there are 4 state secondary schools, the Grammar, St Sampsons, le Mare de Carteret and Beaucamps. Plus 3 public schools Ladies college, Elizabeth and Blanchelande (plus one special unit and the SEN school) plus the primaries.

As to wanting links with France? No chance. The islanders are VERY independent minded, they don't call themselves Donkeys for nothing. The French were kicked out of Jersey in 1468 (after occupying Gorey Castle under that milksop Henry VI) and there was no problem getting recruits. The last attempt was 1781 and again never any problem drumming up recruits to kick the French out. They didn't want anything to do with them. (Incidentally if you type in st sampsons high school medieval life on google you'll get some pics of various things I organised).

As to your last question, French as the majority language (again note not French as you know it) was mid nineteenth century. First newspaper in Guernsey was in guernesiase not English. From memory I think it was the Guernsey Star from about 1820 that was the first in English. If you want to know more or disagree with my opinions (see my tag line) then have a look at la societies guernesiase website and the jeriaise equivalent.

I guess you were thinking of doing a movement in Guernsey wanting to join France? Sorry that would be ASB. Best bet would be a total independence movement for which there is support (especially after the ending of VAT agreements and other things). Oh in 1800 Guernsey had a half dozen militia regiments, north Regt being one, there's a fantastic rebuild of a couple of gun emplacements here worth a visit with suitable cannon mounted. As to them wanting to be French then, again no. Interests far too entrenched, after all General Brock and Admiral de Saumarez being two personalities of the time.

Oh and the newspapers are funny over here. Just have a look at thisisguernsey and you'll see!

Having said all that we do have some fantastic sites here such as Castle Cornet, Richard Heumes Occupation Museum, La Valette Tunnels and so on. (All Guernsey, I'm sure a Crapaud will pop up soon and tell you about their places)

Oh bugger, a few phrases are still used Cherie for bye, a la prochane for laters, however mainly by over 50s, I have NEVER heard a kid use these words (and I have taught a few of them).

Last edited:
Very good post, KillerT, though I would not say ASB so quickly, any situation where France seizes and holds the islands seems to me likely to result in them keeping them, if it's for more than...oh, let's say a hundred years.

Oh thanks. By the way at candie gardens there is a jacket of one of the militia regiments from around this era. They also have a rather rare grenadier cap c1740. At castle Cornet there is a display of a typical barracks c1750 with lifelike figures. If any of you ever visit let me know and I'll see what I can do about a behind the scenes look.

I would agree with everything that KillerT said.

To add to the discussion about the defense of Guernsey in the early 1800s. The island was separated by a tidal river which was filled in 1806. That was how important the defense of the island was to Britain at this point.

As for Patois (guernsey french) in 1800 it would definitely be spoken by the vast majority of people normally, apart from st peter port. Though I would say the moment quarrying came in that would be the start of the end of Guernsey french in the north of the island, which is the major population area.