Challenge: Make Portugal the 3rd superpower in the Cold War

Something comparable to @Lusitania's timeline A Lusophone World. Rules are that you cannot just have Portugal keep their existing colonies. They have to expand somewhat, either occupying Nagasaki after ww2, doing what A Lusophone World's Portugal did, or just have Brazil make a union with them. Another rule is that the empire must persist in some way until the Ukraine crisis in 2022

sorry to ask but I've seen ASB talked about here, what does it mean?
ASB means Alien Space Bats, it basically means that the POD is near impossible or impossible like Aliens, Divine intervention, massive geological difference or fantasy.
That being said Portugal would need to break with the UK, stay out of the World Wars, develop nukes pre 1950 while keeping and expanding their empire with a clear majority of it supporting staying with Portugal. Not ASB per se, but really really unlikely.

ASB means Alien Space Bats, it basically means that the POD is near impossible or impossible like Aliens, Divine intervention, massive geological difference or fantasy.
That being said Portugal would need to break with the UK, stay out of the World Wars, develop nukes pre 1950 while keeping and expanding their empire with a clear majority of it supporting staying with Portugal. Not ASB per se, but really really unlikely.
have Portugal stay a monarchy that appeals more to the people's desires than the UK's, then have them state their neutrality and keep it (not much would be lost), and develop nuclear weapons with France's help. While this is all happening make the country a federation just like A Lusophone World did. I have no idea how to expand their borders but buying Spain's colonies and Olivencia would be a good start. Anything else?

Portugal lacks the economy or military to be comparable to either the United States or the Soviet Union.

It could be powerful, but not anything like a superpower in the strictest sense. Best you could manage is a leading member of a third power block.

Portugal lacks the economy or military to be comparable to either the United States or the Soviet Union.

It could be powerful, but not anything like a superpower in the strictest sense. Best you could manage is a leading member of a third power block.
yeah now that I think about it Lusitania basically broke apart India and Indonesia to make everything perfect for Portugal to thrive. A leading member of NATO on par with modern day Germany may happen

Lusitania

Donor
yeah now that I think about it Lusitania basically broke apart India and Indonesia to make everything perfect for Portugal to thrive. A leading member of NATO on par with modern day Germany may happen
My idea was never to make Portugal/federation s super power but as you indicated leader of 3rd block.

As for Indonesia that was actually easier since it was luck that it stayed as a single country. India also had its moments but required but more maneuverability. Iotl They too had several factors go their way which allowed them to stay United. I simply changed few outcomes leading to their eventual breakup.

Last edited:
My idea was never to make Portugal/federation s super power but as you indicated leader of 3rd block.

mas for Indonésia that was actually easier since it was luck that it stayed as a single country. India also had its moments but required but more maneuverability. Iotl They too had several factors go their way which allowed them to stay United. I simply changed few outcomes leading to their eventual breakup.
why did you kill off mao? And also why make the west conquer more of Europe?

Just realized underlying parameter was per forum "After 1900"....and in that case, can't see any way to make that happen.

Lusitania

Donor
why did you kill off mao? And also why make the west conquer more of Europe?
Well the meeting in the pool did happen and so did everything upto the fall. It was also the start of deteriorating relationship between the two countries. I read an article once about it and at the end the author speculated how different world would of been if he had slipped.

But the real reason was I did not want China miracle and opening of China to western companies. From everything I read it was the Crazy 1960s under Mao that allowed Deng and his allies to shift China from a communist economy to a capitalist state while still under communism rule. With him gone his successor stick to the traditional communist way. Therefore the reforms of the 1970s snd 1980s not happen.

Meantime we have Soviet go through an abbreviated own version which allows Gorbachev to come to power a decade earlier.

Well the meeting in the pool did happen and so did everything upto the fall. It was also the start of deteriorating relationship between the two countries. I read an article once about it and at the end the author speculated how different world would of been if he had slipped.

But the real reason was I did not want China miracle and opening of China to western companies. From everything I read it was the Crazy 1960s under Mao that allowed Deng and his allies to shift China from a communist economy to a capitalist state while still under communism rule. With him gone his successor stick to the traditional communist way. Therefore the reforms of the 1970s snd 1980s not happen.

Meantime we have Soviet go through an abbreviated own version which allows Gorbachev to come to power a decade earlier.
So you strangled modern China still in the cradle? Brutal

Lusitania

Donor
So you strangled modern China still in the cradle? Brutal
Modern China was only possible because Mao fucked up China so bad in the 1960s. So we prevented millions of people from being killed.

As for the economic growth it is going to be happening in different countries.

Christiano Ronaldo becomes a secret agent for the Portugese state and manages to annexe England (Manchester United), Spain (Real Madrid) and Italy (Juventus).

After 1900? Impossible short of divine intervention or so radically a different world in the 1900s that its unrecognisable. You'd have to have the Portugese Empire survive from the 1600's onwards, so holding onto Brasil and other South American countries as well as elsewhere.

Without that, not going to happen.