Challange: Constantine converts to Islam

How about a Buddhist Constantine?

A Buddhist Emperor would be interesting, but might not last very long. In order for the Emperor to keep his throne, he had to have the support of the Roman Army and since Buddhism is fairly pacifistic IIRC, the two sort of cancel each other out.

If Constitine converted to Islam he the Christains already there probably wouldn't have liked that so it probably wouldn't have worked.

Keenir

Banned
A Buddhist Emperor would be interesting, but might not last very long. In order for the Emperor to keep his throne, he had to have the support of the Roman Army and since Buddhism is fairly pacifistic IIRC,

um, and Buddhism has given rise to how many martial arts and martial orders?

I think I heard once about Soho monastaries or Sohei monastaries or....*can't remember how to spell it*. sorry.

Faeelin

Banned
A Buddhist Emperor would be interesting, but might not last very long. In order for the Emperor to keep his throne, he had to have the support of the Roman Army and since Buddhism is fairly pacifistic IIRC, the two sort of cancel each other out.

I dunno. The Roman Emperors would almost certainly claim they're Chakravartin, universal rulers who spread the dharma.

With the triple gem wisdom that the Chakravartin possess, who could dare oppose Rome?

(Man, I really wanna explore Buddhism in the context of the Roman Empire. Now if only I could figure out how to get it there without aborting the Empire)

ninebucks

Banned
I'm not sure the last part of that assessment is entirely fair.

Maybe.

Perhaps I should have used the past tense. Although, there does seem to be a pattern that whenever gentiles express an interest in Jewish ideas, Jewish ideas drift away from any consensus.

ninebucks

Banned

You recall incorrectly. Using Buddhist doctrines to support aggressive proselytising and war-mongering is no more difficult than using any other religious doctrine.

In terms of the original doctrine preached by Christ Christianity is pretty pacifistic as well, but that didn't seem to stop Christian rulers from being plenty violent when they wanted to.

Maybe.

Perhaps I should have used the past tense. Although, there does seem to be a pattern that whenever gentiles express an interest in Jewish ideas, Jewish ideas drift away from any consensus.

Judaism has also evolved considerably since the rule of Constantine to the present.

In terms of the original doctrine preached by Christ Christianity is pretty pacifistic as well, but that didn't seem to stop Christian rulers from being plenty violent when they wanted to.

Indeed. I remember an interview on TV with a Thai Buddhist monk who had not any problem in supporting war and death penalty - they were part of the King's obligation to protect the people, he said. He also remembered that when he entered his current temple (next to the cemetery of a Thai prison) the executioner shooted convicts with a machine gun :eek:!.

Superdude

Banned
An undead Constantine would be a constant in an ever changing world. in fact he'd be a constant Constantine. If he had a negative effect on the development of Christianity then he might be...Constant Constantine Constantly Co-opting the Copts!

My brain hurts...

He would, in fact, be a Carrion God seated upon a golden throne for eternity.

Alcuin

Banned
(Man, I really wanna explore Buddhism in the context of the Roman Empire. Now if only I could figure out how to get it there without aborting the Empire)

GURPS has a Roman trader travel to India (not that uncommon an event) and later save Caligula's life and convert him (Caligula) to Buddhism. Caligula was a sincere convert and many of his courtiers also converted if only to flatter Caligula. The discipline of meditation also helped save Caligula from Madness. By the time he dies, the Empire is Buddhist.

Alcuin

Banned
He would, in fact, be a Carrion God seated upon a golden throne for eternity.

He would be THE Archon in a Manichaean world until the Sons of Light were found to throw down the power of Rome and in so doing, redeem the Demiurge. Eventually, the Sons of Light would depose and destroy the Carrion God Constantine and the Perfect would reign.