C'est Boulanger qu'il nous faut - Questions about George Boulanger

Is it possible for George Boulanger to lead a successful coup against the Third Republic?

If so, what do you think his policies would be? I imagine that he would probably try to restore some sort of Monarchy, with him as the head of the military. A revaunchist France would be a volatile force on the European continent, and I can see the Germans being very worried.

I almost imagine a sort of fascist (Francoist - Not Nazi) government. Boulanger as head of the military and government with a Bonaparte as a figure head. This France would be highly militarized and conservative, and have a major bone to pick with Germany. I also imagine the Catholic Church would play a huge role.

What do you guys think?

Is it possible for George Boulanger to lead a successful coup against the Third Republic?

If so, what do you think his policies would be? I imagine that he would probably try to restore some sort of Monarchy, with him as the head of the military. A revaunchist France would be a volatile force on the European continent, and I can see the Germans being very worried.

I almost imagine a sort of fascist (Francoist - Not Nazi) government. Boulanger as head of the military and government with a Bonaparte as a figure head. This France would be highly militarized and conservative, and have a major bone to pick with Germany. I also imagine the Catholic Church would play a huge role.

What do you guys think?

In 1888/9 the Bonapartist pretender would be Victor (1862-1926) grandson of Napoleon I's brother Jerome

Eminently possible. I posted a similar question a while back, but no-one really got interested. I was prompted by reading of the theory that Weimar Germany was similar in some ways to the Third Republic, and similarly might have survived for a long while given the right luck.

Eminently possible. I posted a similar question a while back, but no-one really got interested. I was prompted by reading of the theory that Weimar Germany was similar in some ways to the Third Republic, and similarly might have survived for a long while given the right luck.

But in those circumstance would there have been a restoration of the monarchy?? And who would have been the figurehead? Kaiser Bill would have been a definite no-no. and Crown Prince Wilhelm was a bit too close to the far-right. Mind you if there was some sort of military takeover they might have chosen the Crown Prince

But in those circumstance would there have been a restoration of the monarchy?? And who would have been the figurehead? Kaiser Bill would have been a definite no-no. and Crown Prince Wilhelm was a bit too close to the far-right. Mind you if there was some sort of military takeover they might have chosen the Crown Prince

Sorry? I meant that Boulanger would be a Hitler analogue, rising to power on a tide of revanchist and anti-republican sentiment, and in that case the Third Republic would be remembered in much the same way as Weimar Germany is today, politically. There need be no monarchical return - Boulanger would be a dictator.