Celebrity Presidents

So, who may have become president if the U.S. was even more inclined to go for celebrities or soldiers or revrends, not politicians?

Lets see, Sherman seems to be the most obvious. Lidenburg could have gone into politics. Here's a possibility, some of the revrends from the second great awakening. Also, now adays when Holywood is so liberal, what type of peeps would we have? McArthur would have more of a chance, wich would be disaterous.

William Tecumseh Sherman said he wouldn't run or serve so that counts him out. If he had survived Little Big Horn its likely Custer would have run over office. Admiral of the Navy George Dewey was likely, but thought the job rather beneath him. General John Pershing or even Marine Major-General Smedley Butler could be given consideration.

Charles Lindbergh (not Lidenburg) figure alot in Alternative History. For Hollywood celebrities, besides Ronald Reagan, I think Gregory Peck would have done well.

I thought George Marshall would make a good President.

Hey, we could use Audie Murphy. He was a war hero and a movie star.

What about Patton, and Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., had they lived?

MerryPrankster said:
Well, for Sherman the POD can be that he decides TO run.

True, but its easier to work with those that actually wanted to run or had aspirations and would have considered it.

You can always make the PoD, rather than the decision itself, something that would alter the reasons for the decision. Have something happen about which Sherman would feel so strongly, and so greatly doubt the ability of the current candidates to handle in what he deems a proper fashion, that he's willing to run to resolve that issue. What it could be, I don't know.

I would go with Michael Moore and suggest Oprah Winfrey -Female Minority (which means more than 70% of US constituents covered), rich, successful with high name recognition

reformer said:
What did Theodore Roosevelt Jr. do exactly?

He also received the Medal of Honor. The Roosevelts (Teddy Sr. and Jr.) and the MacArthurs (Arthur and Douglas) are the only two father-son combos to receive the award.

Do we know what his politics were? Did he die in the war?

I think that General Pershing would have been a wonderful president, as I suggest in my very unpopular reunification of the Republican party in 1912 timeline. He was a logical political successor to TR, much more so than the 20s Republicans. He was also involved in the party of a chief of staff.

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Ike as another celebrity pres, or JFK fior that matter for his WWII role with PT109.

What about J. Edgar Hoover as pres ? Or further back, what about guys like Davy Crockett had he not been killed at the Alamo, or 'Mad Anthony' Wayne after he defeated Little Turtle at Fallen Timbers ?

BTW, as I've stated before, i've actually been to the US cemetery at St- Laurent-sur-Mer and seen the gravesites of heroes like TR jnr.

Howard Hughes was one time considered, but I guess he refused because it meant too many public appearances.

I think Bob Hope joked about wanting to become president, but his wife didn't want to move into a smaller house. The would also have to change the constitution.

What about Bill Clinton?

Governor of a small Southern State, big on Foreign Affairs or is that some other type affairs, Very Big Time Attorney Wife, had big time friends in Hollywood, and was the top fund raiser in the 1990's.

Celebrity President = Willian Jefferson Clinton.

Today every US President is a T.V. :eek: celebrity before he or she becomes President. :eek:

Richard1978 said:
Howard Hughes was one time considered, but I guess he refused because it meant too many public appearances.

I think Bob Hope joked about wanting to become president, but his wife didn't want to move into a smaller house. The would also have to change the constitution.

Bob Hope couldn't become US President, because he was from England, came to the states as a child.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Defining celebrity is a curious thing. I mean Nelson Rockefeller, George Romney, both businessmen and rich, both in the public eye, both challengers to Nixon for the GOP nomination.

Who's the current Rockefeller rich boy - Jay ? Or you could have Donald Trump or Bill Gates...

Grey Wolf