Catholic Sovereign abdicates-becomes cleric- finally is elected pope

I have my doubts that a former ruler would get so far as the curia, much less actually become Pope. I know of a few that abdicated and retired to a monastery, but that's about it.

Perhaps not strictly following that order, but perhaps if Cardinal-Infante Henrique of Portugal was elected Pope and then subsequently inherited the throne, similarly to OTL, you could have a fun test case on whether a Pope could be a King simultaneously.

Perhaps not strictly following that order, but perhaps if Cardinal-Infante Henrique of Portugal was elected Pope and then subsequently inherited the throne, similarly to OTL, you could have a fun test case on whether a Pope could be a King simultaneously.

The likely answer would be "Hell, NO WAY". Primarily on political grounds; I am not aware of anything in canon law technically prohibiting that, but I think it would be relatively easy to argue that such a thing would be a breach in the spirit of the law, both canon and secular. But yes, historically there was no such full test AFAIK.

I have my doubts that a former ruler would get so far as the curia, much less actually become Pope. I know of a few that abdicated and retired to a monastery, but that's about it.

Henry the Chaste (the last independent king of portugal prior to the iberian union) was a cardinal. The fact the pope (who'd previously been a legate in spain) wouldn't release him from his vows so he could produce a non spanish heir was an important political point.

But yeah cardinal one step below pope.

Last edited:
I would expect other powers to veto any former king becoming Pope; how would you expect him to treat his former nation fairly? There's a reason there was never a Hapsburg or Capetian pope.

Henry I of Portgual was a Cardinal (and thus eligible for the papacy by convention) when Sebastian died in battle; if you can get him elected pope, then you'd have a pope-king.

Obvious choice is Henry Benedict Stuart, who was Dean of the College of Cardinals. Not a reigning monarch, but still.

I also had a wonderful and improbable vision of Queen Christina disguising herself a man, becoming ordained, and rising through the hierarchy.

As long as you are considering Senior church figures who had a claim to the throne, Cardinal Reginald Pole, got within 2 votes of becomming the Pope and as the son of Margaret Countess of Salisbury was a Yorkist contender for the throne, and a possible candidate for the husband of Princess Mary.