Butterflies Not Included - Another Thread of the Curtain

'Furthermore, I am of the opinion that the al-Aida Dynasty must be destroyed.' - Leonardo Marsal of Zaragoza, 1822.

Mirroring the famous words of Cato the Elder 'Carthago delenda est', it was expected that the general involved in the conquest of Algeria and northern Tunisia would be adamant to erase a dynasty he declared troublesome. However, 14 years after his speech in Zaragoza, little has changed. The once-unstoppable pirates of the Mediterranean had been reduced to a minor territorial core and fringe provinces conquered from Egypt and the Fezzanis respectively. As far as most were concerned, the dynasty was now a shadow of its former self. No longer the conquerors of Cordoba, hegemons of Morocco, bane of Atlantic-bound merchants or anything more than a fringe desert state seemingly barely capable of sustaining itself.

In 1836, the Roman Empire as it fancied itself (better known as an overgrown Catalonia) effectively controls the Mediterranean. Holding both straits of entry and exit in its grasp, the strategic conquests have left its economy nearly unmatched on a regional scale. Its stability is a combination of numerous factors. Wealth, decentralised rule to accommodate an expansively diverse empire, and a standing army that makes just about any border state choose its allies carefully, lest they anger a powerhouse.

Attached, on any note, is a trio of maps of the Roman Empire (a term I will probably grow to either resent or accept, I haven't decided yet). A base political, one with cities, and a map attempting to show the spread of the 34 cultures within the empire. I counted.

aragon culture map renewed.png

I have to apologise, this is a thread built on months of reworks to this specific timeline and a lot of hesitation. I really, really hope it's up to scratch with the other threads on this site. May whatever deities exist help me as I begin to update this.

Last edited:
so a small update post:

the map in its entirety is incomplete. as such, the next updates will be focusing primarily on the setup in europe at this time and background information. hopefully i can present the cultural maps of regions as opposed to one country at a time in this manner.

So I've noticed that I've really been enjoying making culture maps. So, as promised, I'll be focusing on Europe.

Today's focus: central Europe. Well, mostly 'Germany', northern Italy and some bits to make it not look deformed.
central europe bni.png

I know I said there'd also be lore updates, but I feel that if I get the basic premise of the boundaries and significant cultures set up, then I can explore the world better. I think the most important things to note are the following:
- The Migration Era pushed Germanic peoples west of the Elbe, which consequently strengthened the more Germanic aspects of the Frankish Empire and even allowed them to become the dominant political entity in the region as their population rose.
- Technically, the HRE never comes to be. However, that doesn't stop smaller states from splitting from the Frankish as seen above.

I don't entirely know if this map will remain forever canon, but for now it's the best i can do for a cultural map of an entire region as opposed to just one country. When the time comes, I'll get around to improving these should I need to.

bni northern europe.png

Due to a lack of motivation regarding this timeline in particular, this is going to be the final update to BNI for the time being. As much as I enjoy making these sorts of maps, since I feel like they give an extra layer of depth to the world, I don't want to post mediocre updates. As soon as I feel up to the challenge of covering the wild ride of the political situation here, I absolutely will. For now, I present a collection of 4 maps covering the diverse (and slightly unstable) northern Europe, as liberal an interpretation as I give of what defines it.

I guess now is also a reasonable-enough time to promote my deviantart, where I'll be posting other timelines until I feel like coming back to this one.
https://www.deviantart.com/bookerawhitaker