Could Bulgaria become a sultanate between 700-850? How would Bulgaria be different from OTL? How would it affect history?

(My first time here btw)

Last edited:
Could we have possibly get a sultanate between 700-850? How would Bulgaria be different from OTL? How would it affect history?

(My first time here btw)
INB4 all people say Impossible and that they would christianize first..if the Siege of Constantinople of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(674–678) goes the Ummayad way, that Kill the ERE in the middle of an anarchy and open the Balkans, if Bulgars are smart they would convert so they could be the suppliers of slaves and local walis of the region, in your time range is hard, as bulgars already are ERE servants, but if 717 constantinople is won by the ummayds, maybe some Khan or Boyar decide to jump ship and be the one benefit of the Islamic expansion in the region?

INB4 all people say Impossible and that they would christianize first..if the Siege of Constantinople of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(674–678) goes the Ummayad way, that Kill the ERE in the middle of an anarchy and open the Balkans, if Bulgars are smart they would convert so they could be the suppliers of slaves and local walis of the region, in your time range is hard, as bulgars already are ERE servants, but if 717 constantinople is won by the ummayds, maybe some Khan or Boyar decide to jump ship and be the one benefit of the Islamic expansion in the region?
It's not that's its imposible just unlikely I mean if we go with the 676 scenario asperukh has bearly arrived maybe the muslims win the atl battle of ongal and no Bulgaria exist
In 717 that's a big no no tervel had increased his power a lot and prefered the byzantines over the uyamed with them loosing and tervel already being their enemy he would not convert to Islam why would or any khan converting to Islam from 700 to 800 would be submission to the caliphate
In the otl converting to orthodox christianity did not mean submission to the patriarch or the emperor and even then there was opposition just because most of the priest wheres greek the bulgarians invented cyricil to expulse the greeks and have their own priest and thar shut up the opposition
So any hint of Arabic influence would be a no for them they would only convert only when the abassid caliphate would decline by that point it's more likely they converted to catholicism

Last edited:
@Nivek interesting.
Thanks, yeah but i disagree, some boyar or khan would took the advantage once the ERE is gone, if anything we could see orthodox/catholic bulgars and Islamized one balkanizing further the region.

So any hint of Arabic influence would be a no for them they would only convert only when the abassid caliphate would decline by that point it's more likely they converted to catholicism
If the Abassid happen at all, all of this butterfly them away

Thanks, yeah but i disagree, some boyar or khan would took the advantage once the ERE is gone, if anything we could see orthodox/catholic bulgars and Islamized one balkanizing further the region.

If the Abassid happen at all, all of this butterfly them away
If they don't then less so do to the Arab superority complex and the submission part of the uyamed caliphate the only way I see an Islamic Bulgaria is have islam both conquer the EER and the whole of Frankish kingdom wich is really stretching it

@Goldensilver81 how would they get the manpower and resources to do so? That's going to change Europe quite a lot if they managed to pull that off.
They don't the ERE maybe conquered but that also means the Balkans collapse sooner allowing an easy sweep of the bulgarians like the otl
The bulgarians repeatly defeated byzantine armies even when the byzantines recovered the bulgarians pushed as far as Greece and to take them out they need it to be weakened by the magyars pechenegs rus and 3 consecutive great byzantine emperors
Even in the early years Bulgaria in 750s do to the death of sevar and the dulos clan with the bulgarian with civil war and anarchy and the byzantines being led by Constantine V ( one of the most brilliant emperors ) constantine got mostly phyrich victories an overstretch caliphate stands really no chance
frankia even less so since they migth take aquitane but to punch deeper nah

@Goldensilver81 how would they get the manpower and resources to do so? That's going to change Europe quite a bit if they managed to pull that off.
If anything, Muslim besides conquering Hellas...might not push the balkans...the prize of Rome/Italia is wide open and they would push for it

If anything, Muslim besides conquering Hellas...might not push the balkans...the prize of Rome/Italia is wide open and they would push for it
I don't think the muslims would ignore the bulgarians pulling of a krum 100 years earlier leaving the bulgarians alone would mean that the caliphate or who ever takes place in constantinople after it collapses would live with constans raids and I can see many attempts to take thasselonica and maybe even constantinople and many arab armies dead on a filed or in a mountain pass.

I don't think the muslims would ignore the bulgarians pulling of a krum 100 years earlier leaving the bulgarians alone would mean that the caliphate or who ever takes place in constantinople after it collapses would live with constans raids and I can see many attempts to take thasselonica and maybe even constantinople and many arab armies dead on a filed or in a mountain pass.
So well, they might put a defensive line in the macedonia, but i think they could keep those at bay.

This is going to be very costly for the Ummayads. How would it affect the Abbasids?
Not that Costly if Done from Constatinople and the thrace mountain range of Rumelia is good enough, Abbasids...umm that depend how the Ummayds Caliphate ends but if the region is under control of the Abbasids..i would think they might not move the capitol from Damacus(if didn't move it before) and focus with the Local Wali to convert/slave enough slaves captured in battle