British Indonesia

I know it's been done before, but, what if Indonesia was a British colony?

PoD: Britain keeps Java from the Dutch/French in 1815.

Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei will be combined into a single British colonial administration and may gain independence as a single entity after decolonisation (this might even include Papua New Guinea).

More Indo-Malayans living settled in other parts of the British Empire like Africa, the Pacific, and the Caribbean?

Possibly more Indonesian-Australian connections?

Much more English literacy, but not necessarilly any more overall literacy (or as much literacy).

Singapore as the capital of a nation of 250 millions would be interesting, and it would really put Indonesia on the map in terms of being noticed

Relevant Thread

The modern day Mega-Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore is gonna be such a mess. The demographics is gonna be all over the place especially since without the rise of Indonesian nationalism during the late Dutch Era to somewhat unite the disparate Indonesian people during the late 19th century and early 20th. While I'm sure a similar wave of nationalism will rise up with the British, I don't know how Malaya, the many states of Borneo, Singapore, and all the Indonesias is going to remain united post-independence. I can definitely see Indonesia being broken up though instead of going independent all-together.

The modern day Mega-Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore is gonna be such a mess. The demographics is gonna be all over the place especially since without the rise of Indonesian nationalism during the late Dutch Era to somewhat unite the disparate Indonesian people during the late 19th century and early 20th. While I'm sure a similar wave of nationalism will rise up with the British, I don't know how Malaya, the many states of Borneo, Singapore, and all the Indonesias is going to remain united post-independence. I can definitely see Indonesia being broken up though instead of going independent all-together.

British India was similar demographic and ethnic mess. It was anyway divided with religious lines but there is not similar things in Indonesia so I can see the nation remaining together like India has mostly remained. Even Indian division wasn't inevitable before WW2.

But this version would be more cohesive no? With the exception of Singapore, most new lands are Malayan, which is the basis of much of the modern Indonesian nation including their language.

Would the British monarch gain a new title ala India?

Possible but it is not certain. Title of emperor/empress of India was created only because queen Victoria couldn't stand that her daughter has higher rank than her (empress of Germany). ITTL things might go differently.

Possible but it is not certain. Title of emperor/empress of India was created only because queen Victoria couldn't stand that her daughter has higher rank than her (empress of Germany). ITTL things might go differently.
Not really. The need to legitimise British rule by having the British monarch as the formal feudal head of the various Indian rulers had a large part to do with it as well.

kholieken

Banned
But this version would be more cohesive no? With the exception of Singapore, most new lands are Malayan, which is the basis of much of the modern Indonesian nation including their language.
But large plurality of Indonesian is in Java, which politically important post independences.

With Malaysia inside British Indonesia, Malay Pennisula and part of Sumatra might create second power block to compete with Java.

British also might allow influx of Chinese and Indian to Indonesia, creating large "foreign" populations.

Lmao no. Fuck no
Indonesia have dozen of ethnic groups. If anything I expect the post colonial era to be filled with separatist struggles and communist insurgency

British India was similar demographic and ethnic mess. It was anyway divided with religious lines but there is not similar things in Indonesia so I can see the nation remaining together like India has mostly remained. Even Indian division wasn't inevitable before WW2.
You don’t fucking see it because the OTL Indonesia army beat the absolute fuck out of separatist groups in the 1950s-1960 genocide the communist and still beating the fuck out of Papua New Guinea natives. Also Aceh insurgency.
expect an Indonesia+ Malaysia+ Singapore under Brits rule to be even more fucked