Britian lets Sealion happen

The British stand a good chance of gutting the Kriegsmarine of its surface ships and experienced personnel. It is also likely that Germany will lose even more experienced aircrew and aircraft than in the historical Battle of Britain. I don't know what effects those will have on the rest of the war.

The Kriegsmarine was pretty useless anyways.

Seems pretty fantastical that the Luftwaffe is going to lose more aircraft fighting in the Channel than it did historically flying deep inland, and that the RAF is going to lose fewer fighting in the Channel with Bomber Command exposed to massed fighter attacks.

I've had ideas of doing a post-Seelowe story. I even have a title, The Sea Lion after Seelowe. (The Sea Lion being Churchill or Great Britain itself) My thoughts include a Great Britain that gets overconfident after defeating the invasion and attempt a landing somewhere on the continent.

What if they're arrested?

On an irrelevant tangent, discussions on this site are the only reason I even know that Austria HAD a navy. Go alternatehistory.com?

If not for the Austrian navy, the greatest musical would never have been written. I understand their dancing was also top shelf.

Actually the consequences would be big. The Luftwaffe would be badly damaged by an unsuccessful Sealion, as would the Kriegsmarine, both of which would hamper Germany's efforts in later years, particularly the the loss of Luftwaffe. That could easily make Operation Barbarossa less successful.

So a failed Sealion makes a failed Barbarossa even more of a failure? Isn't that like saying the Titanic sinks in 500 feet of water instead of 12,000? I'm pretty sure Barbarossa failed anyways.

Maybe you mean Barbarossa can't even be attempted. And that would bad for Germany, because?

Then there is the fact that the loss of so much canal shipping tonnage (as someone has already pointed out) would affect the economic strength of western Europe.

Sounds like a reasonable risk. When we're down to the shipment of garden elves being late to dock in Hamburg, I think we're at an acceptable risk level.

Then there is the obvious fact that people would figure out a year early that German Army = victory is not necessarily true. (That could have good or bad consequences, depending on how Stalin and the British process the information)

So the British were fighting on with the assumption they couldn't win? I'm pretty sure Churchill thought he could win.

The Kriegsmarine was pretty useless anyways.
'Small' and 'useless' aren't identical, the Kriegsmarine may not have been a huge threat (though if it had been a little more lucky and not got hit right where it did the Bismarck could have caused some serious angst), but it did tie up a lot of allied resources that could otherwise have gone east.

So a failed Sealion makes a failed Barbarossa even more of a failure? Isn't that like saying the Titanic sinks in 500 feet of water instead of 12,000? I'm pretty sure Barbarossa failed anyways.
It did, but it would take a certain amount of time to rebuild the units they had gutted, plus the new crews would be less experienced, and things might be delayed, which gives the Soviets that much more time to rearm, and the Germans that much less time to advance before winter sets in. Kalinin (now Tver) might not have been taken for example.

Sounds like a reasonable risk. When we're down to the shipment of garden elves being late to dock in Hamburg, I think we're at an acceptable risk level.
That is of course assuming that there are not more barges destroyed that 'luxury' shipments can account for. Late garden gnomes is fine, late coal or iron, maybe not so much.

So the British were fighting on with the assumption they couldn't win? I'm pretty sure Churchill thought he could win.
Well so far the Heer had smashed up everyone they came across. The Kriegsmarine was another matter, as was demonstrated at Norway, though it still remained a potential threat, as demonstrated when the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen almost broke out into the Atlantic.

Last edited:
It did, but it would take a certain amount of time to rebuild the units they had gutted, plus the new crews would be less experienced, and things might be delayed, which gives the Soviets that much more time to rearm, and the Germans that much less time to advance before winter sets in. Kalinin (now Tver) might not have been taken for example.

If the Germans were delayed by the forced rebuild, would they continue with the invasion of Russia as planned? If they have too little time before winter (or if the rebuild is particularly slow winter begins before they're ready) would they continue anyway or would they cancel they invasion until the spring? If they can't prepare quick enough the entire operation could end up being completely untenable (ignoring the general untenability of invading Russia in winter) and a delay of a whole winter will see the Soviets well and truly prepared for anything moving east.

If the Germans were delayed by the forced rebuild, would they continue with the invasion of Russia as planned? If they have too little time before winter (or if the rebuild is particularly slow winter begins before they're ready) would they continue anyway or would they cancel they invasion until the spring? If they can't prepare quick enough the entire operation could end up being completely untenable (ignoring the general untenability of invading Russia in winter) and a delay of a whole winter will see the Soviets well and truly prepared for anything moving east.
Interesting question really, because the knock on might be a stronger presence in North Africa potentially knocking out the allied forces there and opening up an additional front for the southern invasion of the Soviet Union, which I feel would be delayed until the following spring/summer. So yes the Soviets would have better equipment but not better organisation ... but that could well be ballanced out by the fact that they have a small force led by Rommel tearing up the Caucasus.

Interesting question really, because the knock on might be a stronger presence in North Africa potentially knocking out the allied forces there and opening up an additional front for the southern invasion of the Soviet Union, which I feel would be delayed until the following spring/summer. So yes the Soviets would have better equipment but not better organisation ... but that could well be ballanced out by the fact that they have a small force led by Rommel tearing up the Caucasus.

One simple word. Logistics.

teg

I checked Wiki - this 'Barbarossa' thing failed. Russia won. So I'm not understanding your distinction between Germany losing the war on the Eastern Front historically, and losing it ahistorically.

That is of course assuming that there are not more barges destroyed that 'luxury' shipments can account for. Late garden gnomes is fine, late coal or iron, maybe not so much.

The risk was acceptable, hence the reason why the army collected the barges along the Channel in the first place.

Well so far the Heer had smashed up everyone they came across. The Kriegsmarine was another matter, as was demonstrated at Norway, though it still remained a potential threat, as demonstrated when the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen almost broke out into the Atlantic

'Potential' and 'almost'. Not exactly terms that convince me that taking the shot was not worth the risk.

By 1943, Hitler was so disgusted with the waste of resources he intended to scrap the fleet. Pretty much sums it up.

If the Germans were delayed by the forced rebuild, would they continue with the invasion of Russia as planned?

No. Attempting Sealion is the signal that Barbarossa is off. The Luftwaffe will be fully committed, and to implement Sealion the Germans will require Soviet material and resources, and since Germany didn't have the capital, that in turn meant an expansion of the 1939 Pact to finalize control of Finland, Turkey, the Persian Gulf, etc. sort of like a Nazi-Soviet Lend Lease, where the the Soviets are sending 'stuff' and the bases Germany is giving them in return just happen to be in other countries, such as Turkey.

Depends, I think anything up until the end of July and they'll still go in, but from the end of August onwards I don't know. Remember, they don't actually expect a lot of resistance, they expect a quality similar to the Soviets' rather poor performance in the Winter War.

I checked Wiki - this 'Barbarossa' thing failed. Russia won. So I'm not understanding your distinction between Germany losing the war on the Eastern Front historically, and losing it ahistorically.
A matter of time, if the Germans are delayed they'll face a better-prepared SU and won't have as much time to advance, thus some cities that got taken OTL won't.

The risk was acceptable, hence the reason why the army collected the barges along the Channel in the first place.
Those barges were out for what, a few months? if they'd been lost permanently, along with quite number of tanks that would need replacement...

A matter of time, if the Germans are delayed they'll face a better-prepared SU and won't have as much time to advance, thus some cities that got taken OTL won't.

If Germany goes ahead with Sealion, there won’t be a Barbarossa.
In terms of the fantasy of Stalin pulling Churchill’s chestnuts out of the fire – no. If anything, Stalin would have declared war on Great Britain after it was certain there was no threat from Germany, because that is where the ‘easy pickings’ were in 1941.

Those barges were out for what, a few months? if they'd been lost permanently, along with quite number of tanks that would need replacement...

Some barges are more important than a shot at winning WW2 outright? That makes no sense.

In terms of the fantasy of Stalin pulling Churchill’s chestnuts out of the fire – no. If anything, Stalin would have declared war on Great Britain after it was certain there was no threat from Germany, because that is where the ‘easy pickings’ were in 1941.

Some barges are more important than a shot at winning WW2 outright? That makes no sense.

Why will there not be any Operation Barbarossa because of Sealion? The logic of a German invasion of Russia would still have existed, indeed there would have been an even stronger drive to remove any chance of Britain having allies in the near future. It might happen a bit later but I can't see Hitler not wanting to have a lunge at the Soviet Union.

And the fact that the Germans did not consider a shot at winning World War 2 worth the risk of a large number of barges, should tell you just how unlikely Sealion was ever to work.

teg

And if Britain wrecks the first wave?

No, but when they lose them (and they will rest assured the RN will do everything in its power, and it has a lot of power to spare), it will hurt the continental economy.