Britain orders the 16 tonner Mk III tank into Serial production - how does this change British AFV development

Marine engines are fine on the power front, but most were very heavy, since there was little incentive to reduce weight. Weight is good, that's a sign of reliability, since they, like stationary engines, were meant to run at rated horsepower 24/7

Good for reliability, bad for tracks and suspension systems.

The Merlin lost half its power when used in tanks because they detuned it and took the superchargers off.
and it had to run on Pool petrol (@70 octane or similar to commercial grade pre war petrol) not 100 or even 87 octane aviation spirit and provide useful power at low revs.

The Merlin lost half of its power (at least) when it was used in tanks.

They removed the supercharger from a Merlin Mk. III to downgrade the performance to a suitable level for tank use, reversed the direction of engine rotation to match tank transmissions, and fitted the resulting engine to a Leyland-built Crusader.

Delivered to Aldershot on 6 April 1941, the test team had trouble timing its runs because it was so fast, estimating it reached 50 miles per hour (80 km/h). Leyland arranged to start production of 1,000 examples of the engine as the Meteor.
7a37fdcb11a40b5ae569fa9b18985aba.jpg

With engine power doubled, it soon became apparent that the additional stresses placed on the Crusader components required significant re-work to increase reliability. Leyland had no spare capacity, and re-work commenced with the help of BRC&W.[6] It was planned to fit this to BRC&W-built versions of their original A24 submission.

They removed the supercharger from a Merlin Mk. III to downgrade the performance to a suitable level for tank use, reversed the direction of engine rotation to match tank transmissions, and fitted the resulting engine to a Leyland-built Crusader.

Delivered to Aldershot on 6 April 1941, the test team had trouble timing its runs because it was so fast, estimating it reached 50 miles per hour (80 km/h). Leyland arranged to start production of 1,000 examples of the engine as the Meteor.

With engine power doubled, it soon became apparent that the additional stresses placed on the Crusader components required significant re-work to increase reliability. Leyland had no spare capacity, and re-work commenced with the help of BRC&W.[6] It was planned to fit this to BRC&W-built versions of their original A24 submission.
"Driver, declutch before landing"

marathag

Banned
and it had to run on Pool petrol (@70 octane or similar to commercial grade pre war petrol) not 100 or even 87 octane aviation spirit and provide useful power at low revs.
By time the Meteor was in place, UK was running on US gas, that was 80 octane

Meteor was also run on lower max RPM vs. Merlin, 2600 rpm vs. 3000. A power of 600 HP is excellent result from a 27L non-supercharged engine with modest RPM.

By time the Meteor was in place, UK was running on US gas, that was 80 octane
Interesting as Pool itself was originally actually 68 octane and remained about that post war. The Meteor had to be able to digest Pool even if it got general Wallies fuel in action. Getting the Meteor to run so well was an under recognised feat of Rolls Royce cars and Rover production. Rover eventually got 810bhp out of it on post rationing petrol and fuel injection.

It's maths' or arithmetic, not math.
So sorry, old boy, but on this side of the Pond, "If my math is right" is perfectly acceptable. (We don't say "bonnet" or "loo", either. ;) )
So with a the average expenditure on Sub-Head C7 in the five financial years 1930-31 to 1934-35 was £367,000 which at £4,500 each would provide 81 x 6 ton tanks a year or 23 x 16 tonner Medium MK III

This is napkin math's I appreciate that the 'expenditure' would have been for a variety of thing and probably not just 'tanks' (?) but it shows the difference in costs
That's bound to be too high. You'd have to sacrifice all the trucks, motorcycles, arty tractors, staff cars, & any other motorized stuff--meaning you'd have lots of tanks able to outrun leg infantry, perfect for being defeated in detail. :eek:

I wouldn't go above 75% in any given year, & I'd guess there would be an average 50% armor & other for the decade: say 45-50 Six-tonners?

Last edited:
*puts this here*

It was just a musing a few years back.

Black Prince was severely under powered, as built IOTL. Unless your suggesting a 100% increase in HP, this vehicle not going very far.

In ref high weight of marine engines:
bad for tracks and suspension systems.
In a 16 ton tank, let alone a 25-30 ton one, I can't imagine a couple of hundred pounds would make an enormous difference. I don't say reducing the weight, without sacrificing durability, would be a bad idea....

Black Prince was severely under powered, as built IOTL. Unless your suggesting a 100% increase in HP, this vehicle not going very far.
It had twice the operational range of a Centurion, so technically it would go twice as far. :p

marathag

Banned
Going with a derated Merlin(Meteor) would not have been impossible for an easy 600hp, and this could have been done in 1942 first with the 3" gun, and then the 17pdr when available.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
I just can't stand the 16 tonner design. They could have built this instead?

Medium_Mk_III_command_tank_big_skirt.jpg

Totally made up tank on 16 tonner chassis. That side "sled runner" says volumes about the suspension. Let's lift that up a bit at least. Looking at this picture you start with a slow infantry tank with five crew in all the right places. A main gun, but bigger than a three pounder. An old Hotchkiss six pounder tank 57mm of longer barrel, say 25-30 calibres? I understand the Royal Navy are working on a 47 calibre one. (2385 ft/s at the muzzle with a naval HE round 2.85 Kg shell, about 2850 ft/s with AP-I, HE-I: 2,056 ft/s due to 4Kg shell 900g of HE, APDS 3800 ft/s)

Last edited:
Nice oval shaped turret ring that would have, not sure how well it would work in practice though. I do agree ditching the two useless mg turrets was the way to go, they never worked well in any tank saddled with them and were uninhabitable in the desert.

1583444137561.png

Dammit Captain, we've got to do something about Sgt Oddball and his crew of misfits.

1583444018373.png

Last edited:

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Nice oval shaped turret ring that would have, not sure how well it would work in practice though. I do agree ditching the two useless mg turrets was the way to go, they never worked well in any tank saddled with them and were uninhabitable in the desert.
The ring overlaps the tracks, even if the turret basket doesn't. I'll have my 76mm gun, you see if I don't. The co-axial HMG is in the turret (moved from gunner's side to loader's and ball mount chassis MMG on R/T operator's side for production).

Last edited: