Britain allied with Central Powers

There is the possibility that if Germany did not violate Belgium's borders but France did that Britain and Germany might become allies as both signed a treaty guaranting Belgiums borders and existance.

Thx for the info. I read that Britain and Germany were close while Vicky was alive but relations became strained after. I'm rewriting my timeline (again) but have a look if you like..

I think it is very important to remember that the Vicky here is Queen Victoria, not the Victoria, the German Empress, her daughter.

There is the possibility that if Germany did not violate Belgium's borders but France did that Britain and Germany might become allies as both signed a treaty guaranting Belgiums borders and existance.

Not likely. The French had no intention of invading Belgium, tho they had calculated such offensives into the strategical planning. The British would have turned a blind eye toward any French incursion into Belgium and more than likely would have pressured the Belgians to go along with French.

over reaction

One reason that the British never managed to come to an understanding with the central powers was that the government was paranoid about being cut out of the entente. If the British had been a little more willing to negotiate with the Germans in 1905 and come to an understanding then the French could interprate it as countering their agreement. If the French try to hard to undo the agreement or to counter British-German relations they could drive the British empire into the central powers.

A moment which turned the tides against an Anglogerman reconciliation was when Prime Minster Chamberlain told parliament that the British were less barbaric against the Boers than the Germans against the French in 1871.

The outrage in Germany was pretty enormous and poisoned relations as much as the Daily Telegraph interview of Wilhelm II. Less vitriol from the British side could have helped as much as less vitriol from the German side.

One reason that the British never managed to come to an understanding with the central powers was that the government was paranoid about being cut out of the entente. If the British had been a little more willing to negotiate with the Germans in 1905 and come to an understanding then the French could interprate it as countering their agreement. If the French try to hard to undo the agreement or to counter British-German relations they could drive the British empire into the central powers.

Not sure about that. The British were weary of the Germans since 1871 and had been commercial rivals since at least 1890. What the British are worried about is geopolitics and the fact that the Franco-Russian Entente was the greater threat to the British Empire.

True the British were worried about the French getting to powerful, with Russian support, but even after the first world war most British people were more worried about a French invasion then a German one. Also British politicians were increasingly aware that Germany was struggling to keep up with The Empire in terms of navy production because of financial constraints. The commercial factors could have gone either way as all of the empires of the time were using their colonies both to get goods and sell them as this was a motivation for new imperialism. If Britian were to change sides then Germany might be willing to give them comercial advantages as a deal sweetener as they wanted all the allies they can get.

chronos

Banned
B allied to G

This would not happen because the liberal-Imperialists and Roundtable in britain feared the destruction of the Balance of Power in Europe, the clustering of the European Powers around one dominant power and the consequent action of around six European navies against them and the plundering of the Empire. See Grey's comments on this, but it goes back to the '90's.

Two attempts were made by people who diagreed with this view, Joseph Chamberlain and Arthur Balfour but founded on the possibility Germany might have to fight a continental war against Russia on Britain's behalf.

The Triple Entente was created by Britain against just such a removal of the Balance of Power.

problem

If Britian believed that France and Russia were more interested in invading the empire then allying with it then they would seek out alliances with other empires.

chronos

Banned
No, key policy-makers argued they should come to agreements and form ententes with them against the other European Powers thus continuing the balance of Power. There is a lot of documents on this.

Security risk

Britains biggest threat in the build up and during the first world war was an enemy holding the French and Belgian coast. If Gewrmany were to garentee These would be under British control after a european war then there would be a big motivation for Britian to side with them.

Britains biggest threat in the build up and during the first world war was an enemy holding the French and Belgian coast. If Gewrmany were to garentee These would be under British control after a european war then there would be a big motivation for Britian to side with them.
If The War was Quick Such Could Be Hammered Out at The Bargaining Table ...

As it Was, Britain Would Be Required to Take them By Force ...

If Galipoli is ANY Guide, That Would Be a Whole New Kind of Ugly!

:eek:

If Britain and Germany are on the same side then the navy wouldn't be a problem and the costal defences would be in big trouble. The big causalties would come either trying to take a deep sea port or as the troops enter Paris.

If Britain and Germany are on the same side then the navy wouldn't be a problem and the costal defences would be in big trouble. The big causalties would come either trying to take a deep sea port or as the troops enter Paris.
I Doubt The French Navy Would Stand Idly By While The Royal Navy Blockades their Ports, Furthermore a Britain in League with Germany Would Inspire a Militarization of The English Channel Not Seen in a Century ...

As for The Coastal Defenses, The Ones in Dover and Calais May Even Exchange Fire ...

Do you Want to Be One of The Soldiers Charged with Attempting an Invasion Under Those Conditions?

:eek:

I also doubt that the US is likely to sit back and watch the two biggest powers on the planet take out the third and fourth without a fight, especially if the French and Russians can hold out for any length of time. A UK-Germany alliance poses dangers for the entire planet, and the US is eventually going to be a target if only in war planner's minds. Will the UK allow US ships to trade with France?

I also doubt that the US is likely to sit back and watch the two biggest powers on the planet take out the third and fourth without a fight, especially if the French and Russians can hold out for any length of time. A UK-Germany alliance poses dangers for the entire planet, and the US is eventually going to be a target if only in war planner's minds. Will the UK allow US ships to trade with France?

If this is the alliance that Joseph Chamberlain planned out than the USA would be part of this alliance.

Grey Wolf

Donor

I don't know, I can see the US thinking its pretty cool that its rivals are smashing themselves to pieces against each other, leaving a clear field for American commerce in the meantime

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I don't know, I can see the US thinking its pretty cool that its rivals are smashing themselves to pieces against each other, leaving a clear field for American commerce in the meantime

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Plus, given the US' more or less isolationist mindset early on, they're likely to stay out until they absolutely have to get involved. Granted, if the UK starts sinking US ships bound for France, they're going to have to get involved sooner rather than later.