Braveheart Movie

So many events were changed to make the movie a better story (battle of Sterling Bridge > Battle of Sterling for example), it's basically AH.

So there is a joke that movie Wallace and Movie Isabella conceived the future Edward III. However at Wallace's death, Isabella was nine years old and Edward of Bordeaux would not be born for another 10 years.

Movie Argyle tells Wallace that music on Bagpipes were banned, but bagpipes would be banned after... the Battle of Calloden. Also, at the time of the Plantagenet rule, bagpipes used in North England, Mercia, and the Cornwall regions 9not the most popular instrument in any of those places, but not out of place either).

At the beginning it says "1280 AD" as the year, with the Scottish king already dead. In reality, Alexander III died in 1286. At least they got the order right "AD" after instead of before.

Well we all know it's a movie supposed to entertain and not supposed to be an accurate documentary.

But what cracks me up is the narration (by Movie Wallace) to hand wave all the liberties taken with history "Historians will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who've hanged heroes." Read that again "Historians will say I am a liar" and this is the narrator of the story.

Dates are labeled "BC" before the years or "AD" afterwards, I've seen a few "AD 1066" before
Other way around. BC stands for an English prepositional phrase, which goes after what it's modifying (the year number). AD is the head of a Latin noun phrase, so it goes before the number.

I don't think I've seen anyone defending Braveheart for its historical accuracy. In fact, given it's a Mel Gibson historical movie, most people admit it to be highly innacurate and dramatized.

The people who like the film that I've seen never really talk about the historical accuracy: they generally talk about the action and James Horner's soundtrack.

Now, a fun idea could be in what sort of TL is braveheart accurate?
What happens if the scots are a bunch of iron age throwbacks, Phillip of Mowbray gets chucked out a window, William Wallace shags a twentysomething Isabella, and on?

I don't think I've seen anyone defending Braveheart for its historical accuracy. In fact, given it's a Mel Gibson historical movie, most people admit it to be highly innacurate and dramatized.

The people who like the film that I've seen never really talk about the historical accuracy: they generally talk about the action and James Horner's soundtrack.

Oh I'm not complaining, I just found it really funny that they try to handwave it with narration.