Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Aleksei Brusilov - Brusilov Offensive

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Douglas Haig- Hundred Days Offensive

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Others

Votes: 33 22.9%

• Total voters
Unwilling as I am to vote for Haig, it has to be my vote for him during the Hundred Days. His army broke the Germans like a rotten stick.

Unwilling as I am to vote for Haig, it has to be my vote for him during the Hundred Days. His army broke the Germans like a rotten stick.

And lost 400k men doing so. Hardly a pittance. He lost as many men in the 100 days as he did with his other attacks while still no reaching Germany proper

Everyone who voted for Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, Erich Ludendorff or Paul von Hindenburg, keep in mind the Germans lost the war...

Well, with Lettow-Vorbeck, he basically spent the whole war outside the German logistics chain, but he did shoot up a bunch of allied soldiers, so it's arguable that he any way you cut it had an overall positive effect on Germany's overall fate (also a negligible effect, but still).

Well, with Lettow-Vorbeck, it's safe to say that he was of sufficiently low rank and influence that his actions had no effect on Germany losing the war.

True. Good point. I being a northerner and descendant of staunch union supporters think that Lee and Jackson were among the best commanders of the civil war even though their side lost and I strongly disagree with what they were fighting for.

Everyone who voted for Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, Erich Ludendorff or Paul von Hindenburg, keep in mind the Germans lost the war...

As far as Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck goes, he didn't lose the war - Germany did. He was compelled to surrender his undefeated army because of German failures in Europe, not because of any failure in his African theater.

I'll go with Brusilov. A successful offensive against the German/Austro-Hungarian armies that had spent most of the previous year beating the Russians quite severely. The offensive included a successful surprise, pioneered new tactics, and mauled the Austro-Hungarian army, which lost a considerable portion of its fighting capability.

Seconded - The offensive fizzled only when the Russians reverted to old tactics

I would go for Nikola Zhekov, Commander of the Bulgarian Army. He led a series of highly successful defensive operations in Salonika.

Putnik (Serbia)?

He may have lost but he held on for a year against overwheming odds and managed to extract a good fraction of the army to Corfu from where they were able to regroup and play a vital part in liberating the country three years later

I'm finding some of the poll results a bit hard to undestand.

I'm ok with LV being in the lead, but feel that both Petain (for probably saving the French Army in 1917) and Kemal (for Gallipoli) deserve to be at least level with HL, Haig and Pershing, if not ahead of them.

Last edited:
Lettow Vorbeck wasn't an army commander - his main force barely got above a weak brigade.

Don't understand why he is even on the list.

I'm finding some of the poll results a bit hard to undestand.

I'm ok with LV being in the lead, but fell that both Petain (for probably saving the French Army in 1917) and Kemal (for Gallipoli) deserve to be at least level with HL, Haig and Pershing, if not ahead of them.

Yeah I agree, i even vote for Kemal so he actually is really at only two.;)