Bergoglio in 2005

Say Joseph Ratzinger announces in Conclave he would refuse the Papacy if elected, and the Sacred College elects Bergoglio instead, eight years ahead of OTL. Assuming he takes the same regnal name, what changes from OTL?

Good question. Benedict kept the focus on Europe; he was the focal point of the restorationist movement (the return to Latin etc); we could certainly have done without the new Liturgicam Authenticum based translation of the Missal. He was completely unable to reform the curia, with all the attendant problems. He followed John Paul's intellectualism with more, it's a real pleasure to read Francis' off the cuff homely stuff.
So without Benedict what would the last 8 years have been like. I think it's still too early to judge where Francis will take us. Certainly Jewish/Catholic relations would be much, much better. Benedict's Tridentine mess with the prayers on Good Friday, the huge desire to reconcile the Lefverberists (sp?) ended up a PR disaster with the holocaust denying anti-Semite being un-excommunicated. Francis has a very good track record of dialogue with the Jewish community.
I was really impressed with how open the Greek Orthodox patriarch was at his investiture. Francis has kept the focus on being Bishop of Rome which opens up Orthodox reconciliation - first among equals. His refusal to be parish priest of the whole world - speaking only Italian and a little Spanish is really interesting - could be a sign of greater emphasis to local bishops, which could go either way, some are better than others. I'm pretty hopeful at the moment, ask me again in eight years!