Got this idea after posting to Jonasresende's Broken Engagements WI

So What if . . . Martha Parke Custis, George Washington's beloved step-daughter does not die from her seizures in 1773 but lets say they grew more mild with age until almost totally disappearing.

When the the Revolution breaks out she meets and is smitten by a widower general from Connecticut, Benedict Arnold.

When he is bypassed for promotion she speaks out on his behalf

After Saratoga she nurses him back to health

The two are wed when Spring breaks over Valley Forge

Arnold is now linked to the Washington's

Congress treats him a bit better

He doesn't meet Peggy Shippen

They have 3 surviving children

They have a daughter Liberty "Libbie" Arnold in 1781

George Washington Arnold in 1784

Hannah Arnold in 1790

He has more reasons to not betray the Revolution

What does post-war America hold for George Washington's Son-in-Law and his wife?

Does he live longer?

Are there fears of an unofficial "Royal Line" if he and/or his children are successful in U.S. politics?

WAR to WAR Timeline
- Georges Washington Lafayette meets Liberty Arnold while visiting America with his Father

-Georges and Liberty Marry at Mount Vernon

1798 -1800
- XYZ War
Jefferson resigns as VP
New Orleans falls to General Arnold

"The Democratic-Republicans not supporting the war with France turns into a poison Pill and their party sinks into decline and eventual dissolution" - Richard Milhouse, University of Franklin, Author: The Family's War

1799 - Benedict Arnold Lafayette born to Georges and Liberty Lafayette

- Benedict Arnold - Alexander Hamilton win Presidential Election
Burr Governor of NY

1805 - Patsy Arnold Dies

1806 - Benedict Arnold dies
"While it was a lingering illness from the Louisiana campaign that caught up to and eventually killed Arnold others say that they are not surprised he did not survive his beloved wife by a year." - R. Milhouse

1807 - Hamilton (F) controversy over whether he is Acting President or even eligible to be President

1808 - Hamilton (F) wins re-election

1810-1812 - Tecumseh's War
Red Stick War

1812 - Aaron Burr and Monroe form the Independent American Party
Hamilton runs for Third Term
Aaron Burr-James Monroe, New Party, Win Election

"While most believe it was Hamilton's hubris and fear of dictatorship that won the the election for Mr. Burr, I can't help but also consider his First Lady, Dolly, her smile and other voluminous assets were worth many a vote and if I were an American, God Forbid, she would definitely have mine." - John Andre, A Commentary on former Colonies, London Times

1813 - 14 - Spanish-American War

1816 - Burr (IA) WIns again

1820 - Monroe (IA) Vs DeWitt Clinton (F), Monroe wins

1824 - Jackson (F) defeats Monroe (IA)

1828 - Jackson (F) wins again, defeats Clay (IA)

1831 - Jackson Assassinated by George R. Harkins
VP Enos Throop president

"Of course I shot him in the back, I may be an assassin but Indeed I am not a complete idiot." - Harkins on Trial for the President's murder

"After ascending to both the Governorship of New York and the Presidency following the death of his predecessors 'Pulling a Throop' enters the American Vernacular." - R. Milhouse

1832 - John Quincy Adams (IA)* defeats Throop (F)
*JQA had switched party affiliation after growing disagreement with the Jackson government

1836 - Texas Revolt
Zebulon Pike (F) defeats JQ Adams (IA)
Benedict Lafayette hero of Texas Revolution

1840 - Pike( F) wins again Beats Henry Clay (IA)

1840 - 43 Mexican-American War
General George Washington Arnold Hero

1844 - Aaron Burr Alston (IA) defeats George Washington Arnold (F)

1846 - Benedict Lafayette elected Senator from Texas

1848 - George Washington Arnold (F) defeats Aaron Alston (IA)

"For a land without Kings there sure does seem to be a lot Princes taking taking the Crown." - Sam Clemens, Author: The Adventures of Mark Twain, 1878

1850 - Clay's Compromise fails and tensions between Free and Slave states escalate

1851 - Civil War
Benedict Lafayette chosen as President of the American
Confederation

"He was from Virginia, a Hero in Texas, He already helped lead one successful Revolution and his Grandfather was George Washington. To the Fledgeling government meeting in the Charleston hotel lobby he was the obvious choice." - R. Milhouse

Last edited: