Beedok's Maps Thread

Where are you putting the Vatican, because I thought its technical name was "Holy See" and it was not in H? I assume you will just put it under V but in that case I expect something like 95% of its population (most being tourists) to starve as Venezuela will likely collapse and Vietnam and Vanuatu are on the other side of the world so they probably won't find them fast enough.

Where are you putting the Vatican, because I thought its technical name was "Holy See" and it was not in H? I assume you will just put it under V but in that case I expect something like 95% of its population (most being tourists) to starve as Venezuela will likely collapse and Vietnam and Vanuatu are on the other side of the world so they probably won't find them fast enough.
Yes, it's listed as a V in the list I'm using. I do think we'd see more than 5% survival though. Definitely won't be pretty, but I'll say the ISOT happens at night, so there's fewer tourists stranded.

Dementor

Banned
I have to say that you have made developed very imaginatively an old idea. Though perhaps it's overly pessimistic - most developed countries would probably have greater ability to survive the transition and keep up technologically. And after two hundred years even not so developed countries should at least be at modern technological level. I also think that even countries with a currently low fertility rate should see a faster growth in natural population. France, which had quite a successful pro-fertility policy could easily increase three rather than two times just on natural growth if they had about the same average fertility as they did during the last fifty years.

30 thousand with a high birth rate can get you towards the better part of a million easily in 200 years. Also a lot of those statelets will have very low densities (Mongolia has ~3 million people over an area ~3x the size of France, so a nation can function at those densities). As for being close to Hungary, people are only willing to travel so far through the wild before needing to settle down (and the seeds they could gather need a Hungary like climate if they'll be farming).
I was thinking more of why if they're trying to flee Hungary they are setting up so close to its borders, risking soon to be swallowed up again by Hungary. Unless they're periodically moving further ahead.

I have to say that you have made developed very imaginatively an old idea. Though perhaps it's overly pessimistic - most developed countries would probably have greater ability to survive the transition and keep up technologically. And after two hundred years even not so developed countries should at least be at modern technological level. I also think that even countries with a currently low fertility rate should see a faster growth in natural population. France, which had quite a successful pro-fertility policy could easily increase three rather than two times just on natural growth if they had about the same average fertility as they did during the last fifty years.
Most developped nations have survived the transition and seen technological growth. Japan had it rough being fairly dependent on food imports, but otherwise they've done okay. Developping countries are a bit more luck based. The chaos could cause everyone to realise they need to be level headed and work together, or start looking for scape goats and restarting vendettas as the world seems to be coming to an end.
Also a number of low fertility nations have seen their numbers go up, while a number of high fertility nations saw their numbers go down due to food shortages and whatnot.

I was thinking more of why if they're trying to flee Hungary they are setting up so close to its borders, risking soon to be swallowed up again by Hungary. Unless they're periodically moving further ahead.
Refugees want to stop travelling as soon as possible. Also the Hungarians don't really bother attacking them or whatnot. They're more seen as a useful valve to gt rid of minorities and radicals than a serious threat.

Love these maps. Looking forward to seeing what happens in P, U, M, K, and S. Planet U will be especially interesting because I imagine the United States is going to be getting a whole lot bigger. Probably lots of Christian types will be claiming new land as part of their manifest destiny. And the United Kingdom is going to have a chance to rebuild their empire.

Dementor

Banned
I'm interested in some of the scenarios with fewer nations, particularly R and V.

Most developped nations have survived the transition and seen technological growth. Japan had it rough being fairly dependent on food imports, but otherwise they've done okay. Developping countries are a bit more luck based. The chaos could cause everyone to realise they need to be level headed and work together, or start looking for scape goats and restarting vendettas as the world seems to be coming to an end.
You have a point that we tend to assume that everyone will act as rationally as possible in this ISOTs which is somewhat unlikely. There would probably be plenty of such of people in developed countries to cause significant problems there as well.
Regarding technology I though which had well developed education and scientific research should have at least be able to keep up with modern technology, at least by using reverse engineering. Countries falling to 1940s level of technology after two centuries seems therefore unlikely if the country hasn't collapsed completely.

I'm interested in some of the scenarios with fewer nations, particularly R and V.

You have a point that we tend to assume that everyone will act as rationally as possible in this ISOTs which is somewhat unlikely. There would probably be plenty of such of people in developed countries to cause significant problems there as well.
Regarding technology I though which had well developed education and scientific research should have at least be able to keep up with modern technology, at least by using reverse engineering. Countries falling to 1940s level of technology after two centuries seems therefore unlikely if the country hasn't collapsed completely.
I guess Hungary s the issue? With that few people there was going to be a decline, add in a lack of oil and other imports making many things hard to come by and they'd naturally see some decline. At in an anti-intellectual fascist movement though, and you're in trouble.

Dementor

Banned
I guess Hungary s the issue? With that few people there was going to be a decline, add in a lack of oil and other imports making many things hard to come by and they'd naturally see some decline. At in an anti-intellectual fascist movement though, and you're in trouble.
Ten million is hardly few. Many of the European countries that colonized the rest of the world had a similar or lower population.
As for oil, the Ploesti oilfields are quite close and with a few decades they should be able to reach the Middle East or the Northern Sea Oilfields. The Carpathian mountains are quite rich in iron and other metals. Natural resources are not going to be a problem in a virgin Earth world, especially when you have no other significant power to contest them.
And I don't think Orban and his followers are going to be in power for long without their bogeymen to scare the voters.

I don't mean that there won't be some decline in the beginning, but after two centuries?

Dementor

Banned
Again, I don't want to say that I don't like your maps. But a few of them seem to have a bit too much doom and gloom because things going well would be boring ;)

Hey I just realized that Kazakhstan will have the refilled part of the Aral sea that is in Uzbekistan flowing into it's south. I think the the dried basin is mostly empty but some stuff will get flooded. :eek:

Again, I don't want to say that I don't like your maps. But a few of them seem to have a bit too much doom and gloom because things going well would be boring ;)
We'll it's not meant to be 'doom and gloom' (mostly). It's just that humanity is fallible, and sometimes we can mess up. I've also had a few countries be more successful than one might expect (namely a few African nations), because sometimes people get lucky.

Hey I just realized that Kazakhstan will have the refilled part of the Aral sea that is in Uzbekistan flowing into it's south. I think the the dried basin is mostly empty but some stuff will get flooded. :eek:
There were similar issues with Lake Chad.

Dementor

Banned
On the B map, what is the dark green patch in northern Anatolia? It doesn't fit with any of the colors in the legend.

On the B map, what is the dark green patch in northern Anatolia? It doesn't fit with any of the colors in the legend.
Turkish settlers. Bulgaria has a bit over half a million Turks. There were just only so much space for the various colours in the 'nationalist settlers'.

I can't wait to see the great Reformed Inka Empire that owns half of South America from Cusco in the "P" world.

We need a good not terrible Latin American state.