Votes: 3 12.5%
  • American Football

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • other (please post)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Thande Blaming

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
what if in the early 1900s Baseball didn't take off as well as it did and it slowly went down in popularity. when it was time to name "Americ'as official sport", what do we choose? be free to add others that aren't shown.

Straha

Banned
In one of my TLs I have baseball confined to the new england area, american football nonexistent and no NASCAR racing subculture(there's still car races but no NASCAR subcultrue)

I think that in the early 20th century, the only two sports that were really big in America were football and baseball. So unless the Americans want to play a foreign sport like hockey or soccer or rugby, then it's football.

Granted, it would have been regional at first due to the fact that mechanical refrigeration was still a relatively new technology, but hockey was well-known and well-established in New England, the northeast, and the upper Midwest at the same era. Here's one scenario: after demonstrating climate control with mechanical refrigeration (his breakthrough: a Brooklyn printing plant), Willis Carrier looks for new applications and discovers ice-making. Branching out beyond local ice plants, he finances an ice rink in Philadelphia. This happens just after the Wright brothers have made history in Kitty Hawk...and as a result, the Philadelphia Flyers make their debut in 1904.

Whatever it is, this sport would have to be one that was basically developed in The USA by Americans, and it would have to be a sport that could be played outdoors on a field in the Summertime in the heat of Summer.

Take the South American path: Revolting/Civil War as an official sport:D

Or if you are prepeared to perhaps Cricket?
Of cause that is just stage one in the reconquest plan...

Straha

Banned
Take the South American path: Revolting/Civil War as an official sport:D

Or if you are prepeared to perhaps Cricket?
Of cause that is just stage one in the reconquest plan...

Simply have the fascist coup of 1934 go off sucessfuly but not be competently done for the first option.

HelloLegend

Banned
Hey, shouldn't be be at least ALLOWED to choose baseball instead of you deciding automatically the answer is not baseball?

Xen

Banned
Likely football, although in the timeline I am writing on again and off again, baseball remains the most popular into modern times, but football is still big with most Americans preferring college football, over professional. Basketball is third, and hockey just hasnt caught on in most of the United States, anything hockey team below the Potomac River is unheard of. NASCAR itself doesnt become nearly as huge, sticking mostly to the southeast, but has tracks in California, Michigan, Arizona and after 1999 Cuba.

Likely football, although in the timeline I am writing on again and off again, baseball remains the most popular into modern times, but football is still big with most Americans preferring college football, over professional. Basketball is third, and hockey just hasnt caught on in most of the United States, anything hockey team below the Potomac River is unheard of. NASCAR itself doesnt become nearly as huge, sticking mostly to the southeast, but has tracks in California, Michigan, Arizona and after 1999 Cuba.

intresting.