Automotive WI: SAAB survives

In 2009, GM sold SAAB to Spyker, who then planned to sell the brand back to a Chinese group. Unfortunately, GM opposed, still holding patents in SAAB, ignoring that the Swedish brand was heavily in debt and could not be revived. The brand officially disappeared in 2016, although no new SAABs were seen on the roads for some time before.
What different destiny could have been given to SAAB to survive to the present day?

thaddeus

Donor
always thought the SAAB-Subaru link up had potential but the purists on both sides gave it nothing but spitballs.

As a diverging point, I could even suggest a takeover of SAAB by Renault, which would be its luxury counterpart. Nissan has well Infiniti.

SAAB could’ve matched up with a number of companies.

Leyland-Triumph (that’s pre British Leyland btw!!)
Fiat (who wanted them as a northern Alfa at one point)
Ford

But GM has been the kiss of death for any car company. Of all the companies that deserved to be GM’ed...SAAB was not one of them...😔

Ford
- Leyland, why not, it is still necessary that British Leyland itself can still be alive today.
-Fiat, why not either, moreover, the MD of Fiat at the time, Marchionne, wanted to buy all the European activities of GM (Opel, SAAB) in addition to Chrysler, and even planned to merge SAAB and Chrysler. But neither GM nor the German government agreed with Fiat. And Fiat is in a bit of trouble today, releasing very few new models.
- Ford already had Volvo.

In 2009, GM sold SAAB to Spyker, who then planned to sell the brand back to a Chinese group. Unfortunately, GM opposed, still holding patents in SAAB, ignoring that the Swedish brand was heavily in debt and could not be revived. The brand officially disappeared in 2016, although no new SAABs were seen on the roads for some time before.
What different destiny could have been given to SAAB to survive to the present day?

My understanding is that GM had wanted SAAB to build GMs design with a SAAB badge on it - but SAAB couldn't not fuck with it and instead effectively built their own design and this process failed to revive the company - effectively a failure of economy of scale - SAAB was too small to compete 'on its own' in the Audi/BMW dominated market and failed to build a small car

So perhaps GM exerts greater control and SAAB effectively builds a GM clone that uses common parts?

I recall watching a program by one of the Top Gear idiots about why it failed - may have been in an episode - checked - it was back in 2012 ("Top Gear Saab tribute" Clarkson and May)

Ford

But GM has been the kiss of death for any car company. Of all the companies that deserved to be GM’ed...SAAB was not one of them...😔
Ford was hit hard too but at least they took care of Volvo well

Ford was hit hard too but at least they took care of Volvo well
And Geely are reaping the benefits of that now. Their stewardship of Jaguar Land Rover was a little more mixed. One wonders if their proposed takeover of Austin Rover in the mid 80s would have been a success but guess that's going off topic now!

As a diverging point, I could even suggest a takeover of SAAB by Renault, which would be its luxury counterpart. Nissan has well Infiniti.
I think Saab and Citroen would've been a better fit. Both made fwd, quirky cars that were ahead of their time. Maybe Citroen merges with Saab instead of being sold to Peugeot in 1975?

I am neither an American nor Canadian, but despite that I was too late to watch this thread, I think Saab would have financially and mechanically merged with the Hyundai Motor Group if only the latter would turn the former [Saab] into its luxury brand instead of establishing the generically-named Genesis label.

As a result of that, the Hyundai Motor Group would gain benefit from Saab's safety tech, whereas the latter [Saab] would gain benefit from Hyundai's engineering - then the underpinnings might end up being sourced from Renault's cars instead of either Hyundai-Kia or GM.

In particular, both Hyundai and Kia would also licence Renault's body platforms/underpinnings, but this would rather refuse the Hyundai Motor Group (HMG) to release the [Hyundai] Genesis in production - as the Genesis is/was a front-engine, rear-wheel drive (FR) layout car while the majority of Renault and Saab vehicles are front-engine, front-wheel drive (FF). So therefore both car manufacturers, Hyundai-Kia and Saab, would keep its cars FF as their kind of policy.

And also, that would benefit Saab from access to the Indian market, where Hyundai has a deeply robust market share there, but also this would benefit Hyundai from access to the European market by emulating Nissan's role on establishing a foothold in Europe by building a million-pound manufacturing plant somewhere in England...

I think the problem started when they didn't follow Ford and go down the 'FORD route' in regards to their Volvo operation. After Ford brought Volvo they expanded the range making the brand more diverse and profitable.

If GM had expanded the range somewhat with a 'Astra' based set of models it would've have increased production somewhat and made the brand more viable. Just having a two car range in a 'Mondeo' & ''5 Series' bracket limited the brands sales potential.

I think the problem started when they didn't follow Ford and go down the 'FORD route' in regards to their Volvo operation. After Ford brought Volvo they expanded the range making the brand more diverse and profitable.

If GM had expanded the range somewhat with a 'Astra' based set of models it would've have increased production somewhat and made the brand more viable. Just having a two car range in a 'Mondeo' & ''5 Series' bracket limited the brands sales potential.
Anyway, aside from that, could you please leave a post to this thread I recently made?