Austria inside: a Greater German Empire TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame your ending it, but I can't wait for the next few updates!:D:D

i wonder what you will come up with next????:)

I would like to resume my Visigothic timeline, but I will probably start a new one.

A macro-Imperial India from Afghanistan to Borneo is one of my favourites ideas yet to be developed.

why ending so suddenly? did lost all interest on it?

Well, it is not that suddenly. Mind that this TL started back in December.

I have just planned the final part of it. Since the beginning I decided to do not extended it much into the 20th century; I did the same with my Teutonic timeline, because I'm not comfortable when they approach recent times.

I would not like to figure about analogues of Merkel and so :D

Well, it is not that suddenly. Mind that this TL started back in December.

I have just planned the final part of it. Since the beginning I decided to do not extended it much into the 20th century; I did the same with my Teutonic timeline, because I'm not comfortable when they approach recent times.

I would not like to figure about analogues of Merkel and so :D

In your teuton storyline make sense as too massive scale, here, the whole excercise point is too think how the divergent would affect more infamous 20th century affairs(WW I and II,so on and so on). if fear using real life people, just invent people.

Well this was your idea go on, but feel like cut short for not good reason

CHAPTER XVI: THE END OF THE WAR IN THE EAST

During the fall of 1903, Germany applies to Hungary the same receipt used with the USR before the summer. Without any useful help from the USR, Hungary only relies on Serbia for fighting the German advances, but Serbia is increasingly focused on securing the positions in Croatia, so the Hungarian Army is mostly alone in front of their fate.

Following a strong popular discontent with the war, on October 15th 1903 the government is assaulted by a mob and the Republic is proclaimed. The day after that, the three German-Hungarian duchies confirm again their independence from Budapest, which the new government accepts and calls for a general armistice. Romania, which was also fighting against Hungary, accepts the peace after the new Hungarian government accepts the Romanian military conquests in Transylvania. Germany accepts the ceasefire some days later.

The three German-Hungarian duchies (Fünfkirchen, Banat, which is renamed as New Swabia, and Transylvania) are officially accepted in the German Empire on November 7th. Both Romania and Germany recognizes the new Hungarian Republic shortly after, but Russia refuses to do so. However, the young Republic will prove to be not more stable than the former Kingdom, after many USR agents take key positions in the new institutions.

So, after Hungary, the last remaining headache for Germany is Serbia, which has invaded most of Croatia and the Albanian lordships. Unlike Hungary, Serbia stands in a strong way and seems very difficult to beat. But before the German triumvirate or the Kaiser could take any decision, the Austrian King, Rudolf, launches his own plan in order to benefit the Austrian positions in the Adriatic area.

The Austrian agents have been working in Agram since the war broke out with the aim of deposing the actual Croatian monarchy and reinstating the Habsburg rule there. They are just waiting for the proper moment to hit the coup de grace; and this moment finally comes up with the fall of Karlovac (November 28th). The Austrians boost the riots of discontent in Agram that would finally throw down the Croatian regime (December 8th). Rudolf begs the Bundesrat and then the Kaiser to allow Austria to establish a protectorate in Croatia.

Since Austria finally gets the permission to do so, the Austrian militias take a more aggressive involvement in the War that makes Serbia to cede some positions, like Karlovac and Mostar. Anyway, after some months of stagnation, Serbia calls Germany for a treaty regarding the partition of the former Kingdom of Croatia. After some doubts, Austria convinces the central powers of Germany to accept it.

Thus, following the Treaty of Split (May 6th 1904), the last chapter of the Great War is officially over. Croatia is divided between the German Empire and Serbia, as well as the former Protectorate of Albania. The German Empire establishes in their part of Croatia an Austrian-supervised protectorate, divided into four zones: Croatia proper, Dalmatia (autonomous), Mostar (autonomous) and Saveland ('Sauland', former Slavonia), a sort of militarized (and increasingly Germanized) area.
The coastline of Albania is reset as the new protectorate of Southland (Südland), while the Albanian lordships are most of them assigned to Serbia, except the southern ones, assigned to Greece.

Map of Europe at the beginning of 1905

Europe_1905.png

Those German-Hungarian duchies don´t look very defensible in case of Hungarian or Romanian aggression.

Have to agree with the post before me, though: That is a very unique looking Germany. I like it!

Those German-Hungarian duchies don´t look very defensible in case of Hungarian or Romanian aggression.

Have to agree with the post before me, though: That is a very unique looking Germany. I like it!

True, and this will cause troubles in the future.

However, by 1905 Romania is a strong ally of Germany and the country protects the duchies of New Swabia and Transylvania (Fünfkirchen is attached to main Germany now).

Indeed. As i see it the Romanian majority territory ramained in Hungary and the majority hungarian land (Szekelyfold) ramained in Romania. I think it will be the cause of the next war.

You are partly true. But mind that I explained that during the Hungarian revolt there were many exchanges of population.

It does surprise me a bit that Germany would not try and go for the Netherlands/Holland and get that, just to ensure that they have control of the Rhine. Better them than France, really - for the whole natural border logic - obviously which is what France is going for.

The Baltic's i understand, although i hate that when it comes to Germany.

But i absolutely love that strip of land on the Adriatic heading south towards Greece. :D

Well, I really dislike these borders but it´s more this format than anything else.
The name "Germany" is becoming useless as the country is becoming more than only German. I´m not sure that Albania would really stay under Serbia for a lot of time, they are simply too many and too "poor" so they will be willing to rebel, maybe Germany would re-annex the area(You really can´t say these borders are nicer without the whole Albania ;) ).
Also I suggest you to really try to make the borders to looking the best possible in the next chapter, BTW instead of explaining the Hungarian-Romanian borders with population exchange you could maybe create a neutral country like a big Transylvanian kingdom that compromises most of the lands taken by Romania and Germany and also the remaining Romanian speaking land in Hungary, or just give Romanian speaking lands to Romania and create an enclave of Hungary or a independent state(the Hungarians in the area were independent before so there is ground for that).
P.S: Could you give us some hints in how are you creating such maps, they don´t look "professional" but nonetheless are really astonishing and you just print them every chapter.

Zagan

Donor
The name "Germany" is becoming useless as the country is becoming more than only German.

The percentage of ethnic Germans in TTL German Empire is similar to the percentage of ethnic Spaniards in OTL Spain or Romania, for example.

The percentage of ethnic Germans in TTL German Empire is similar to the percentage of ethnic Spaniards in OTL Spain or Romania, for example.
I´m not sure about that, Romania is 89% Romanian now and it was 70% in 1930 but even if the Germans in Germany are in somewhat the same demographic position the main difference is that in former outside Hungarian there were no real ethnicity collegated to a local country as Germans in Romania were physically separated from Austria, this Germany contains more or less 6 entire nation-state inside it, without counting other minorities. Germany is probably 60-70% German with entire Latvia and Estonia.

The name "Germany" is becoming useless as the country is becoming more than only German.

It could simply be the English translation. Anyways, considering how the Kaiser apparently could not be emperor or Germany or Emperor of the Germans because it would been seen to claim the Austrians, Swiss, and others, it seems like this time it actually goes fit.

Downgrading Bohemia from a Kingdom though? It would never be accepted. After all, they had been a kingdom for a thousand years. Why should places like Wurtenburg who only got to be a kingdom because they stole half their land form the church and smaller nobles while allying with French invaders be given precedence over them?

Status
Not open for further replies.