Audie Murphy, Simo Hahya, etc.

I'm looking for information, could be alternate histories or actual biographies, of soldiers and/or sailors that stood far out above the rest of their comrades. Audie Murphy, Simo Hahya, and Manfred von Richthofen are the main examples I can think of after 1900, but I'd like to know which ones should receive special attention in this regard before 1900 as well. I'm looking for either high kill count a la Chris Kyle or Simo Hahya or specific valor in combat as with Audie Murphy. Thank you.

How about Capt. Charles Hazlitt Upham of the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force; the only combat soldier to receive the Victoria Cross twice.

IS this just front-line soldiers? Because there are a few officers that are head-and-shoulders above their contemporaries as well.

Any and all, no matter the country, no matter the war. We could go back into B.C. days for legendary warriors if you like.
Feldwebel Kurt Knispel, SS-Hauptsturmführer (Equivalent of a Hauptmann/Captain) Michael Wittmann, Major Erich Hartmann, Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

All served on the frontlines and certainly racked up enough kills to far surpass competition.

I can think of after 1900, but I'd like to know which ones should receive special attention in this regard before 1900 as well.
Well I do have one before 1900.Slovak soldier Ladislav Skultety Gabris. Served 81 years in Austrian Army. As 77 years old served in war against Russia. Took parts in 22 wars, one of his exploits was part on Hadik capturing Berlin. Legend of Austro Hungarian empire and probably longest serving soldier in military history. Who can beat this grandpa? ;)

I'll add a vote for Charles Upham. Also Daniel Daly (double MoH winner), Chesty Puller and Arthur Champeny. If you want a sniper to rival Hayha then perhaps look at Ivan Sidorenko, who fought on the Eastern front and racked up more than 500 confirmed kills.

Fighting Jack Churchill

The ONLY man crazy enough to fight in World War II with a Scottish broadsword and a longbow. To quote the man, "Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed". As an example from his first assignment with the Commandoes:

Wikipedia said:
As the ramps fell on the first landing craft, Churchill leapt forward from his position playing "March of the Cameron Men"[9] on his bagpipes, before throwing a grenade and running into battle in the bay. For his actions at Dunkirk and Vågsøy, Churchill received the Military Cross and Bar.

Lt Frank Bethune, 1st Australian Imperial Force

I nominate Lieutenant Frank Bethune of the 1st Australian Imperial Force, who as commander of 1 Section, 3rd Machine Gun Company posted this Order of the Day for his group of 7 men who, cut off and isolated were defending a forward position near Passchendaele during the German offensive in March 1918:

Special Orders to No.1 Section 13/3/18
(1) This position will be held, and the section will remain here until relieved.
(2) The enemy cannot be allowed to interfere with this programme.
(3) If the section cannot remain here alive, it will remain here dead, but in any case it will remain here.
(4) Should any man, through shell shock or other cause, attempt to surrender, he will remain here dead.
(5) Should all guns be blown out, the section will use Mills grenades and other novelties.
(6) Finally, the position as stated, will be held.

I can think of two men who showed un real bravery. LT. Louis Zamperini US Army Air Corp, WW2 In the Pacific. Survived a crash landing in the ocean. 47 days in a raft. Then a POW in Japanese Camp.

2. Senator Bob Kerrey, US Navy SEAL TEAM 1. Vietnam war. One of the few Senators and Governors to ever get the Medal of Honor. Yes he is a good friend, and i am prejudiced. But he climbed a cliff with his unit, and fought in total dark. His right leg was blown off and he popped a morphine shot and kept the fight up. Then climbed down that cliff with one less leg.

Jacklyn Lucas. He enlisted in the Marines at 14 , then at 17 fought in the Battle of Iwo Jima where his unit was ambushed by the Japanese. When one of the Japanese soldiers threw a grenade amongst them he dived on top of it, then spotted another grenade lying nearby and dragged that one underneath himself as well, at which point they exploded. He survived. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for this action and left the Marines following WWII. In the 1960s he enlisted in the army and joined the 82nd Airborne because he had a fear of heights. He conquered this fear and became parachute qualified despite a training jump where both his main and reserve chutes failed to open. Against all expectations he died in 2008.

Anyone who can jump on two grenades and live then suffer parachute failure and still survive has got to qualify for an all round badass award.