ATL Airbus?

Riain

Banned
In a couple of recent threads I've learned that 1958-60 demands by BEA and BOAC during a temporary air travel slump caused DH and V-A to shrink the Trident and Super VC10, which appears to be directly linked to their lack of sales success against the 727/707/DC8. I've written a TL where these decisions to shrink were not were taken and the Trident and VC10 are at least twice as successful as OTL.

Which got me thinking about Airbus. IOTL HSA, maker of the slow-selling, shrunken Trident was involved in the initial 1967 discussion that reached the MoU stage in September, but in April 1969 the British Government pulled out of Airbus.

What happens to Airbus if the bigger Trident and VC10 Super 200 are much more successful? How does HSA with ~230 Trident orders on it's books approach European cooperation? What does BAC do with ~100 VC10 Super 200s on its books as well as the brisk selling (by European standards) BAC111? Does BAC become the Airbus lead due to it's big plane 'success'? Or does Britain go it alone, HSA and BAC cooperate to build a wide-body twin or trijet?

Anderman

Donor
In this imho there will be no Airbus as we know it today. In the best case HSA brings the other european companies on board as risk share partners. Very much
like Airbus but with a clear corporate structure at the top from the beginning.