ATL: A Crippled History of New England

One thing I hope to see addressed in the future - who has possession of the Northwest Territories? Virginia had a pretty substantial claim, and the manpower and access to the Cumberland Gap to back it up - do they get carried over to the United States? Does New England get anything?

Dear King's Guard,

I swear on my honor not to crush your hopes. I'll address this as it becomes more pertinent a few chapters down the line. Until then, I'll fill you in on the present situation:

Though Virginia holds the largest claim, New York, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania all have their own claims, which span the Northern half of the Northwest Territory. The lands are still sparsely settled, so any borders between the USA and the FRNE are mostly theoretical. New England refuses to recognize American claims on any part of the Territory, nor does America recognize Yankee claims. Each state claims the entirety of the Northwest Territory as its inheritance. It's one of several border disputes between the Federal Republic and the United States, but it is by far the most contentious.

Your faithful correspondent,
a guardian only of my own heart,
Marianne Bottler

You may call me Umbric, M. Bottler. :) And I'm touched and pleased you took my comments into consideration. Please, keep up your excellent writing and correspondence to everyone - here the discussion is as grand as the historical posts themselves!

Hello there. I must say this has been a rather fascinating read so far.....I hope you'll be able to take us all the way to the end of the 20th Century and beyond someday. In the meantime, any more information on what was happening in the *U.S.A.?

In any case, looking forward to more, for sure. :cool:

Warm regards,

-Steve, aka CaliBoy

Hello there. I must say this has been a rather fascinating read so far.....I hope you'll be able to take us all the way to the end of the 20th Century and beyond someday. In the meantime, any more information on what was happening in the *U.S.A.?

In any case, looking forward to more, for sure. :cool:

Warm regards,

-Steve, aka CaliBoy

Dear Cali Boy,

I plan to take to you all the way to my present day, where I now sit, sipping coffee, scanning the rags for bad reviews. I can't get enough of them. I cut out my favorites and pin them to my corkboard. If I get the chance, I'd love to mention the Big Bottler's time on the Senate. It won't be the high drama of the early days, but I think my father was remarkable in his own way.

Jefferson's Presidency is the subject of my next chapter. Is everyone in your universe psychic or something? You're giving me goosebumps here.

Quimporte said:
Hi there! Qu'importe here again, Wizard-of-Oz-style. I just want to be clear that Ms. Bottler and I are not the same person. My father is alive and well and not in politics.

Now, my dear Californian, I should warn you: your California seems as strange to me as my California will seem to you. You might be pleased. You might be horrified. In either case, you'll have to slog through a bunch of chapters before we see hide or hair of the Bear State.

Pacifically,
Marianne Bottler

Umbric Man said:
You may call me Umbric, M. Bottler. And I'm touched and pleased you took my comments into consideration. Please, keep up your excellent writing and correspondence to everyone - here the discussion is as grand as the historical posts themselves!

Dear Umbric,

Thank you for the grand praise. I'm more used to invective than I am to compliments, so I admit, it leaves a strange taste in my mouth. My opponents call me a communist, my own party members mutter some drivel about crypto-integralism, and no one seems to appreciate satire. I'm glad your imaginary universe appreciates me, if not my own.

As for Boston, I'd rather be there myself. I'm hiding in the Maritimes this month. No matter how friendly Canada's hicks are, "special relationship" or not, this country is far too pretty for my tastes. I was born in Maine, but I'm a Bostonian at heart -- my parents had some bizarre nature fetish, but I came out with my bum legs and they dropped that rural nonsense. Boston is the best place for writers, and doubly so for women. We have deep roots here.

Sincerely,
Marianne Bottler

Last edited:
As for Boston, I'd rather be there myself. I'm hiding in the Maritimes this month. No matter how friendly Canada's hicks are, "special relationship" or not, this country is far too pretty for my tastes. I was born in Maine, but I'm a Bostonian at heart -- my parents had some bizarre nature fetish, but I came out with my bum legs and they dropped that rural nonsense. Boston is the best place for writers, and doubly so for women. We have deep roots here.

Sincerely,
Marianne Bottler

Dear M. Bottler,

I remember Boston with fondness - a girl I dated a time ago there lives there and it's pleasing to have been in a city with such a vibrant cultural life in it. That does remind me to ask: is Boston or New York the capital of the Federal Republic? I may have missed the mentioning in the earlier text.

Dear M. Bottler,

I remember Boston with fondness - a girl I dated a time ago there lives there and it's pleasing to have been in a city with such a vibrant cultural life in it. That does remind me to ask: is Boston or New York the capital of the Federal Republic? I may have missed the mentioning in the earlier text.

Dear Umbric,

I believe I neglected to mention. It's funny, the details you can take for granted. The capital is Philadelphia, the City of Brotherhood, of course! New England's founders knew that Boston and New York already dominated the country, and if they proclaimed the capital in either one, other states would be distrustful of the largest and most influential members of the union. This thinking formed the basis of the original unicameral legislature as well -- each state was represented by the same number of Senators to win over the small states. Philadelphia was and remains significant in its own right, especially after the Conventions, but it was a compromise as well, and an assurance that the Convention did not constitute a coup.

Today and for most of its history, New England's national and political capital is Philadelphia, New York is her economic capital, and Boston is her cultural capital.

From one overproud Bostonian to another,
Ms. Bottler

Quimporte said:
Another key difference between us -- the author's author faces the Pacific, not the Atlantic.

Last edited:

Thomas Jefferson (1789 - 1797): Virginia, Democratic-Republican
1st President of the United States of America

8ITqR.jpg

"The republican is the only form of government which is not eternally at open or secret war with the rights of mankind."

— Thomas Jefferson, in a 1790 letter to William Hunter

~ ~ ~

Vice-President: Nathanael Greene (Georgia, 1789 - 1797)

Chief Justice: John Rutledge (South Carolina, 1789 - 1800)

Secretary of State: James Madison (Virginia, 1789 - 1797)

Secretary of War: James Monroe (Virginia, 1789 - 1797)

Secretary of the Treasury: John Haywood (North Carolina, 1789 - 1797)

Attorney General: Robert Smith (Maryland, 1789 - 1797)

~ ~ ~

Chapter Three: Ishmael and Isaac
Wandering the Wilderness

My father was always an enemy of disclaimers. He’d shut down any attempt to explain or apologize for yourself before you said what you wanted to say. He practiced what he preached, too. I could count on one hand the disclaimers I’ve heard from my father. He liked to get to the point. He’d take his time once he got there, but he wasted no time getting started. As you can tell, my father and I did not share this quality. My work is best served up with a warning.

To my dear Statesians, though I am a scholar of your history, I am not a native of your country. My analysis may ring hollow in your ears, for I carry the burdens of my own past just as you carry yours. This early period of your history is victim to a multitude of divergent interpretations, and I hesitate to add fuel to the fire. My chief purpose is not to present some grand theory on your origins, but to edify foreign readers and my own compatriots.

To my fellow Yanks, I must confess it amuses me that even in the age of NATA, any attempt to understand the motivations of controversial figures gets called treason on talk radio. It is a shame that some people’s impressions of the past are as unrealistic and black-and-white as their impressions of the present. We live in a global age. Centuries ago, Desiderius Erasmus said, “I am a citizen of the world; everywhere at home, and to all a foreigner.” It’s time we all joined his nation.

Many Americans still consider Jefferson's Presidency the nation's first Golden Age, the era of the American idyll. In many respects, I'd have to agree with them. Jefferson was no great orator, but he was the former President of the Richmond Convention and the father of the nation. He reigned with a long leash, and his mere inauguration brought a greater feeling of stability throughout the United States. Madison was made to write a Bill of Rights. At first he opposed its creation, but Jefferson assured him,

Thomas Jefferson said:
”Half a loaf is better than no bread. If we cannot secure all our rights, let us secure what we can.”

The process of drafting the document was transformative for Madison, who had only recently broken with Hamiltonian federalism. Jefferson's many supporters basked in righteous republicanism, but I prefer to cast aside any rosy-eyed glasses. The United States did experience relative stability compared to the chaos of the last two decades. The Articles of Confederation had been replaced with a more suitable document that provided a better balance of executive power and assured that their own laws would not be corrupted by Northern influence. As Hamilton made his creep into the President's office across the border, the American people lauded their own country's unity and liberty. Turmoil still nibbled at the edges of the peace, and some sweet seeds that Jefferson sowed in his Presidency would yield bitter fruit. Our countries regarded themselves as the fulfillment of a divine promise, but each viewed the other as a corruption of that promise.

The unicameral House of Representatives convened in the capital at Richmond for the first time in the 1789. In what remained of the year, they elected officers, established procedure, and settled the minor issues of the national flag and the national motto, “Noli me calcare,” or, “Don’t tread on me.” The next year was devoted entirely to debt, the public credit, and the repayment of former soldiers, the most pressing problems in both the United States and in New England. It was a contentious issue rife with complexity. The first part of the issue, they called "repudiation." Some wanted to default on some of the nation's domestic debt, and some even advocated defaulting on a portion of its foreign debt. Most were opposed to this idea, but the French Revolution offered a tantalizing opportunity to avoid its debts with France. Jefferson was an ardent Francophile who supported the new government, but Adams and his government had already reneged on their debts. American diplomats and financiers dithered on the issue with the French, who were too distracted to respond beyond expressing their irritation. For now, they tabled the matter of their war debts, and tabled the idea of repudiating their domestic debts along with it. Public opinion would not abide screwing former soldiers out of their due repayment. This brought up this issue of "discrimination." Many ex-soldiers in both the States and in the Federal Republic had been forced to turn over their IOUs to speculators at reduced rates to get by. Those in favor of discrimination campaigned to reimburse the original holders for the full price of their securities, but the combined payments would exceed the original denomination. In New England, the Federalists repaid soldiers according to Hamilton's Redemption plan, which restricted full value repayment to current holders of the certificates and deducted arrears of interest. In the end, Jefferson adopted Madison’s proposal. Madison's take on discrimination was in large part a compromise. Though soldiers would receive full value repayment on their IOUs, they would not be paid in excess of the original amount. Whereas in New England all state debts were absorbed into the federal debt, the federal government of the United States would only assume a portion of each state's debt in order to provide a certain limited pool of funding for government projects and bind the states together.

Jefferson and the House of Representatives largely let the States settle their own legislative issues, but in 1791 they passed their own versions of the Naturalization Act, the Patent Act, the Crimes Act, and the Copyright Act. As Jefferson set about reducing the national debt, the Haitian Revolution erupted across the Caribbean. A slave revolt so massive and so nearby sent ripples of terror through the United States. Jefferson was tempted to send troops, but he was a strict constructionist, and felt his ultimate duty as executive was to enforce the laws of land, and nothing further. Besides, the nation was still paying off its soldiers from the war on their soil that ended less than a decade before. It could not afford to commit troops across the sea, economically or diplomatically speaking.

batalha-San-Domingo-650x522.jpg

Polish artist January Suchodolski's Battle for Palm Tree Hill, Saint-Domingue, painted in 1845.

In 1792, Kentucky was added as an equal state of the Union from territory formerly belonging to Virginia. This was a milestone in American politics, the first state admitted to the Union after its founding members, and the people celebrated accordingly. The Southwest Territory was organized later that year, and Statesian settlers flocked to the new lands. Jeffersonian economics encouraged his country’s citizens to spread across unclaimed land and wield the power of unrestrained capitalism. Land speculators spread like weeds across the new territory. It was an unpredictable business. Some found their fortunes in the wilds of the Southwest, but many others lost everything.

Louis XVI lost his head in 1793, and anyone who wasn’t already looking turned their heads to face Europe. The execution poisoned France’s reputation in New England, but it seemed to bolster Jefferson’s opinion of the new revolutionary state, at once America’s elder and younger sister. Years earlier, as the Shaysites gathered their strength outside Boston, Jefferson wrote to Madison,

Thomas Jefferson said:
”I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.”

In another letter to William Stephens Smith, Jefferson said,

Thomas Jefferson said:
”What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.”

As the French Revolution escalated, the United States of America only grew closer to France as New England shied away. Even as friendship blossomed between the revolutionary sisters, Jefferson believed that neutrality was essential. A war in their vulnerable state could crush the skull of their infant nation. Genêt's arrival in Charleston and his activities throughout the States posed a threat to Jefferson's administration despite their common beliefs. Genêt's modus operandi was to organize "Democratic-Societies." These societies championed the same republican values as Jefferson, but they also spurred the American population into the French camp and away from precious neutrality. In the end, Jefferson was forced to intervene and command that Genêt cease his agitations. Genêt took a brief trip to New England to feel out their Francophiles, but he found few friends across the border. When his political party, the Girondists, fell out of favor in the French government, he appealed to Jefferson for citizenship in order to preserve his life. Jefferson agreed as long as Genêt promised to stay out of politics, and the unfortunate Frenchman spent the remainder of his days in Charleston. Jefferson won reelection in 1793 with ease.

Land speculation continued to compound like a snowboulder down a mountain. Speculation caused a small Panic by 1792 in both post-colonial countries. While the federal government of New England scrambled to rein in such rampant land speculation, the United States government did little to restrict it. The Yazoo Land Fraud of 1794 grabbed the country's attention in one of the first hot button issues of the early United States. "Yazoo" encompassed the lands we'd now describe as the states of Alabama and Mississippi, and several cross-conniving cabals nested there like vultures. A secret group called the Combined Society had already formed in 1789, dedicated to the sole purpose of making money hand over fist. The Combined Society coalesced into three separate companies by 1792: The South Carolina Yazoo Company, the Frankland Yazoo Company, and the Virginia Yazoo Company, headed by the esteemed Patrick Henry. Then-Governor of Georgia Edward Telfair sold 20,000,000 acres of the Yazoo land to the three companies at about a cent per acre, but the companies tried to pay in depreciated old currency. The deal fell through and exposed the Combined Society, but its members continued to operate throughout the Southwest Territory. Four new companies formed in 1794: the Georgia Company, the Georgia-Mississippi Company, the Upper Mississippi Company, and the New Frankland Company. Together, the companies "persuaded" the Georgia state legislature to sell over 40,000,000 acres of land in Yazoo for $500,000, securing the deal with bribes and company shares. The backroom bargain was revealed in 1795 to massive outrage. The people of Georgia threw out the old Governor in the next election and replaced him with Jared Irwin in 1796. Irwin ran on the promise to repeal the unpopular Yazoo Land Act, and he complied within two months of taking office with the Rescinding Act.

1796 was a year of torments for New England, but a year of triumphs for the United States. The State of Frankland was admitted to the Union after years of politicking and bureaucratic incompetence, formed from lands once ceded by North Carolina and then incorporated into the Southwest Territory. The Houseagreed to add two new stars to the national flag in honor of its two new states. They also passed Jefferson's baby in 1796, The Gunboat Act, which allowed for the liquidation of the country's large vessels in favor of cheaper, smaller gunboats. These boats were meant to patrol the country's coasts and rivers to protect her the livelihood of its merchants and the integrity of its borders. This was one of the only pieces of Jefferson's policy that met with some consternation even among his supporters. Jefferson was certain his naval provisions would be enough to safeguard the country, but many others, including his Vice-President Nathanael Greene, were not so sure. France had only limited control of its privateers in the wake of the Revolution, and they preyed on both Yankee and American ships in the Caribbean. James Madison, James Monroe, and John Marshall led a delegation to the French Minister and came back with assurances of friendship between the two states. Months afterward, New England's own delegation met with miserable failure. The American people were well aware of Hamilton's rise to power in North. Despite both Adams' and Jefferson's commitment to neutrality, armed conflict between the once-allied states seemed inevitable. Jefferson declined to run for a 3rd term in 1797, and instead supported his Vice-President's bid for office. Nathanael Greene crushed his Federalist opponent Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, and swore to protect the liberty and property of the Southern states just as he had during the Revolution.

Nathanael Greene said:
"Heaven hath decreed that tottering empire Britain to irretrievable ruin and thanks to God, since Providence hath so determined, America must raise an empire of permanent duration, supported upon the grand pillars of Truth, Freedom, and Religion, encouraged by the smiles of Justice and defended by her own patriotic sons."

Last edited:
Enjoying timeline. Stop. Anxious for NW Territories. Stop. Best luck. Stop.

Dear Mr. Ferner, STOP.

I assure you, STOP.

The Yanks and the Statesians are at least as anxious as you are. STOP.

I'm not sure about these telegrams either, STOP.

And I'm glad you're enjoying this view into my world, STOP.

But I refuse to stop. STOP.

Haltingly, STOP.
Ms. Bottler. STOP.

Quimporte said:
Surely you can tell I'm a big fan of Airplane.

Dear readers,

I'd like to take a moment to inform you of another small change. I realized I'd omitted reference to the Naval Act of 1794 in Chapter Two, so I went in and added it.

That's all for now, but not for long.

Yours,
Marianne Bottler

Chapter Four: Hail Mary, Full of Grace
The Mother of Modern Feminism

3073972-3x4-340x453.jpg

~ ~ ~

Mary Wollstonecraft is a personal hero of mine, one third of my namesake, and in her own words, “the first of a new genus.” She was born in Spitalfields, London and spent most of her days in Britain or on the Continent, but in her own way, Mary Wollstonecraft is a founding mother of the Yankee identity. I’ve brought you up to 1797 in New England and the United States, and it’s time to cover one more definitive event of that year. To do that, I’ll have to turn back the calendar a few thousand pages.

Mary Wollstonecraft was born April 27th, 1759, the second of seven children. Her family was comfortable and stable in her earliest memories, but her father whittled away at the family’s livelihood over time. Edward John Wollstonecraft lost his wealth to bad investments and bad habits. The family moved with their father as he flitted from city to city in his futile attempts to escape insolvency. His personal virtues did little to redeem his knack for finance. He cornered his daughter one night and pushed her to turn over money she would’ve inherited when she became an adult. He drank as another form of escape, but his wife Elizabeth could do nothing to escape his wrath. He channeled all his life’s frustration into drunken violence against her. From her early teenage years, Mary Wollstonecraft lay awake outside the door of her mother’s bedroom to ward off her father’s anger.

Mary’s education came not from her family, but from the company she kept. When Mary turned 16, she befriended Frances “Fanny” Blood, along with the rest of the Blood brood. The Bloods became her escape and Fanny became a sister to her. Wollstonecraft found more than friendship with them. She escaped the darkness of her own home for the enlightened atmosphere of the Blood household, and found herself through the exercise of her intellect. Wollstonecraft’s feelings were overwhelming or obsessive at times. Mary was desperate to emerge from under her violent past and the shadow of her own melancholy. In her early adulthood, she pinned everything on her friendships. She once wrote to her other closest friend, Jane Arden,

Mary Wollstonecraft said:
”I have formed romantic notions of friendship...I am a little singular in my thoughts of love and friendship; I must have the first place or none.”

Mary was eager to leave her father’s house as soon as possible. When she turned 18, she took a job as a lady’s companion to Sarah Dawson, a widow in Bath, but the two were at constant odds with each other. She returned home two years later in a final act of charity for her family. The mother she spent her childhood protecting was dying, and she left work to guide her to the grave. She wanted to give her mother the comfort in death that she never received in life. Her father remarried soon after his wife’s cold body hit the dirt. Mary refused to return to the Dawson house. Instead, she moved in with Fanny Blood. They dreamed of living in a women’s utopia, and planned to live together and support each other in both funds and affection. To make their living, she and Blood teamed up with Mary’s sisters Eliza and Everina to found a school for girls. Her time with Fanny made her realize she’d idealized her friend in her youth. She remained close with all of the Bloods for the rest of their lives, but she had to admit that Fanny had far more interest in traditional “feminine” values. Mary moved in with her sister Eliza and her husband Meredith Bishop after two years with Fanny. She quickly surmised that Eliza’s marriage bore a number of disturbing similarities to their mother’s. Eliza was fearful, depressed, and desperate. Mary was unwilling to watch her sister get crushed in the vice of an abusive marriage like she watched her father grind her mother away to nothing. She convinced Eliza to leave and managed her escape, but she had to leave the baby behind, and the child died by August that year. Eliza’s reputation was ruined and she could never remarry. Despite Mary’s best efforts, Eliza was forced to grunt and sweat through a weary life, shamed, impoverished, and overworked.

Fanny Blood married Hugh Skeys in 1784, got pregnant, and sailed to Portugal with her husband and her best friend Mary. The voyage took a toll on Fanny. She gave premature birth and died a bloody mess in Mary’s arms. Her child died soon after. Mary returned to the school she’d started with Fanny and her sisters, but she found it in financial ruin and was forced to close it down. She finished her first publication the next year, a strident essay in favor of women’s education she called Thoughts on the Education of Daughters. Soon after, she took a job as a governess for the Anglo-Irish Kingsborough family. Lady Kingsborough couldn’t stand Wollstonecraft, but the Lady’s children adored her. Margaret King later said, “[Mary Wollstonecraft] had freed my mind of all superstitions.” Mary didn’t work as a governess for long. She wrote her first novel, Mary, A Fiction, and decided she wanted to become an author, which was good, considering Lady Kingsborough dismissed her after only a year on the job. She left for London and started work with the publisher Joseph Johnson, who became both her employer and her close personal friend. This was the greatest productive period of her early career. Mary Wollstonecraft met many great thinkers of the time at Johnson’s famous dinner parties, including her future husband, the anarchist philosopher William Godwin. Neither had a high opinion of the other when they first met. Godwin kept wanting to talk to Paine, but he and Wollstonecraft argued all night long.

In 1790, Wollstonecraft published A Vindication of the Rights of Man as a challenge to the arch-conservative Edmund Burke’s Reflections on the Revolution in France, a critique against Revolutionary ideas that extolled the virtues of aristocracy. Two years later, she published A Vindication of the Rights of Woman.

"I am fully persuaded that we should hear of none of these infantile airs, if girls were allowed to take sufficient exercise, and not confined in close rooms till their muscles are relaxed, and their powers of digestion destroyed. To carry the remark still further, if fear in girls, instead of being cherished, perhaps, created, was treated in the same manner as cowardice in boys, we should quickly see women with more dignified aspects. It is true, they could not then with equal propriety be termed the sweet flowers that smile in the walk of man; but they would be more respectable members of society, and discharge the important duties of life by the light of their own reason. 'Educate women like men,' says Rousseau, 'and the more they resemble our sex the less power will they have over us.' This is the very point I aim at. I do not wish them to have power over men; but over themselves.

In the same strain have I heard men argue against instructing the poor; for many are the forms that aristocracy assumes. 'Teach them to read and write,' say they, 'and you take them out of the station assigned them by nature.' An eloquent Frenchman has answered them, I will borrow his sentiments. But they know not, when they make man a brute, that they may expect every instant to see him transformed into a ferocious beast. Without knowledge there can be no morality!”

Some scholars, such as myself, consider this the first work of modern feminism. Her two Vindications entered her name into the mouths of intellectuals on both sides of the Atlantic. In the midst of its publication, her attempted affair with the married artist Henry Fuseli exploded in her face. After suggesting a “platonic living arrangement” with Fuseli and his wife, she was firmly rejected by the both of them. Mary engineered her latest escape in the wake of her humiliation, this time for Paris. She arrived just a month in advance of Louis XVI’s execution. She found Paris a cauldron of chaos. It wasn’t the paradise she’d hoped to find, but she felt inspired nonetheless, and was determined to experiment with her revolutionary ideals. She began a relationship with the American businessman Gilbert Imlay, who took her virginity and impregnated her. She gave birth to Frances “Fanny” Imlay in 1794, who became the apple of her eye.

”My little Girl begins to suck so MANFULLY that her father reckons saucily on her writing the second part of the Rights of Woman!”

Imlay did not share her affection. Though he’d registered Wollstonecraft as his wife with the French authorities to keep her safe, he left her and his child for London when the situation in France went south. Mary was distraught. She chased Imlay back to London, but he had no interest in a relationship with her. She attempted suicide, but Imlay saved her life. Though Wollstonecraft would freely admit other vulnerabilities in the memoir of her autumn years, she never recorded how exactly her former lover kept her from killing herself. In one last, vain attempt to recapture his love, she went a long business trip for him throughout Scandinavia. Over the course of the trip, she realized that Imlay would never rekindle their relationship, much less marry her or raise their child. When she returned to England, the reality of her situation crystalized, and she attempted suicide again. Wollstonecraft stormed out of the house on a rainy night and leapt into the Thames, her clothes heavy with water, but she was rescued by a stranger. After the attempt, she recounted,

“I have only to lament, that, when the bitterness of death was past, I was inhumanly brought back to life and misery. But a fixed determination is not to be baffled by disappointment; nor will I allow that to be a frantic attempt, which was one of the calmest acts of reason. In this respect, I am only accountable to myself. Did I care for what is termed reputation, it is by other circumstances that I should be dishonoured.”

After a brief hermitage, she returned to Johnson’s literary circle and published her letters to Imlay as Letters Written During a Short Residence in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. She slowly turned her previously combative relationship with Godwin into a grudging acquaintance. Since they last sparred, Godwin had written his treatise on government Political Justice and Things as They Are; or, The Adventures of Caleb Williams. He’d intended the novel as a call to arms against the tyrannical abuses of government, but the public ate it up for another reason: it was a damn good read. Godwin was a little too clever for his own purposes. He started the novel in media res, a device much admired by the great Yankee critic and poet Henry Arnold Hopkins in later years. Most significantly, Caleb Williams was the first crime thriller. Godwin couldn’t help but be amused and a little disappointed in the novel’s success. He lamented that his readers devoured in a day what took him years to write. Godwin had also been reading Wollstonecraft’s latest works, and her Letters struck a chord with the anarchist. He later wrote,

William Godwin said:
”If ever there was a book calculated to make a man in love with its author, this appears to me to be the book.”

fbruinT.jpg

William Godwin, pacifist British anarchist and husband to Mary Wollstonecraft

In 1797, as the American nations elected new "wartime" Presidents and steeled themselves for a fight, Wollstonecraft and Godwin got married. Godwin had argued for the abolition of marriage in Political Justice, so his friends made fun of him and his opponents criticized him for shacking up, but he was too happy to give it much thought. On the first day of September, Mary Wollstonecraft gave birth to Mary Godwin without a hitch. She’d finally forged the family she’d hungered for all her life, and all four members of the new Wollstonecraft-Godwin clan would become great figures in their own right.

To the people of my world — you may hesitate to call the birth of Mary Shelley (née Godwin) a "definitive event" in the history of Yankee feminism, but you cannot see the worlds I see. Can you imagine a world without her mother, a world where Wollstonecraft was slandered for a century, a world where her ideas were buried with her, only to be exhumed decades after her death? I know there are a thousand worlds where Wollstonecraft could not survive the birth of Shelley and could not bring up her own daughters. For all the tragedies of my history, I'm thankful we delayed one small death that gave life to a movement.

Last edited:
No one's commented yet.

This is a damn'd shame.

I shall admit I lapped this post up when it debuted, and I'm happily waiting for more news on the state of the world. It's quite rare to have a new spin on this era of North America. And to have it presented in such a style that isn't a dusty history book, but a well-spoken account from someone who studies their history and speaks of it so eagerly as we do our own? And to do so, so eloquently? This is what I come for: for the atmosphere, and letting myself be immersed.

Please, dear M. Bottler, keep up your fine work updating us of what happens within New England and the United States. You have eager readers, I'm one of them.

An update! An update! Yaaaayyyy!

Two, in fact! Don't miss Jefferson's Presidency in Chapter Three.

Dear readers, your eagerness is noted. I admit, lack of response and a busy life have contributed to my long silence. This next chapter is a big one, and I've had my nose in the history books to make sure I can elucidate the complicated situation to follow.

Chapter five is forthcoming, but it may be several days yet until it touches ground. Until then, I am more than open for questions. I'll do whatever I can do to clarify the atmosphere of my world.

Yours,
M. Bottler

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
I read with interest.

One issue that I usually have with these timelines - I still need to digest a bit before I decide whether yours solves the issue sufficiently - is that the US for one reason or another is far too divided to unify into a single coherent whole, yet the smaller pieces are not. The smaller pieces come to terms in scarcely more time than the US as a whole took. That's a challenging outcome indeed.

Virginia, for example, would have a huge preponderance in any southern confederation economically, demographically, and militarily. [By they way, they ought to have Kentucky in that map.] That means that the smaller states would want a constitution that limited proportionality in government and emphasized representation by state. Compromising that with the Virginians would be a substantial obstacle.

In these kind of events I prefer to err on the side of disorder and ambiguity, even if the eventual outcome is the same.

At any rate, I welcome the new timeline, and shall return with better commentary when I am once again intelligent enough to provide it.

Just read through this TL. I quite like it and and am intrigued on where it will go. Your writing is very good and I very much like your presentation and unique take on the "splintered America" premise.

Please keep up the good work, and if I may ask, what is happening in Europe? You mentioned the French Revolution proceding apace but what of the rest of the continent?

I'll be watching and following this with enthusiasm.

Just read through this TL. I quite like it and and am intrigued on where it will go. Your writing is very good and I very much like your presentation and unique take on the "splintered America" premise.

Please keep up the good work, and if I may ask, what is happening in Europe? You mentioned the French Revolution proceding apace but what of the rest of the continent?

I'll be watching and following this with enthusiasm.

Dear Agent of SHIELD,

Affairs in Europe look more or less identical to the affairs of your timeline. The Coalition Wars rage throughout the continent as Europe struggles with Napoleon. The ripples of America's divorce have had little effect on Europe so far.

This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Intriguingly,
Marianne Bottler

Admiral Matt said:
I read with interest.

One issue that I usually have with these timelines - I still need to digest a bit before I decide whether yours solves the issue sufficiently - is that the US for one reason or another is far too divided to unify into a single coherent whole, yet the smaller pieces are not. The smaller pieces come to terms in scarcely more time than the US as a whole took. That's a challenging outcome indeed.

Virginia, for example, would have a huge preponderance in any southern confederation economically, demographically, and militarily. [By they way, they ought to have Kentucky in that map.] That means that the smaller states would want a constitution that limited proportionality in government and emphasized representation by state. Compromising that with the Virginians would be a substantial obstacle.

In these kind of events I prefer to err on the side of disorder and ambiguity, even if the eventual outcome is the same.

At any rate, I welcome the new timeline, and shall return with better commentary when I am once again intelligent enough to provide it.

Dear Admiral,

Thank you for your interest, and especially for your notes on proportional representation -- I've sent you a private letter to further discuss these issues. In any case, Virginia will dominate the early days of politics within my world's United States. As for Kentucky, it's not notated on the map in Chapter One because that map only shows those states which have been admitted to their respective unions circa 1790. Kentucky was admitted in 1792, so it's not noted on the map.

Now without further ado, dear readers, the next chapter proved so long that I gave it the same treatment as my motherland and split it in two. Here comes Chapter Five!

Yours,
Marianne Bottler

Last edited:
Chapter Five: Trouble in Paradise
A Family Feud

~ ~ ~

Alexander Hamilton (1797 – 1805), New York, Federalist Party
2nd President of New England and Protector of Her Liberties

a-hamilton-national-portrait-gallery-263x370.jpg

“Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others.”

— Alexander Hamilton, from the Federalist Papers

~ ~ ~

Chief Justice: Oliver Ellsworth (Connecticut, 1795 – 1805)

Secretary of State: Rufus King (New York, 1797 – 1805)

Secretary of War: Timothy Pickering (Massachusetts, 1797 – 1805)

Secretary of the Treasury: Oliver Wolcott, Jr. (Connecticut, 1796 – 1805)

Attorney General: Jared Ingersoll (Pennsylvania, 1797 – 1805)

Hamilton took office with just over 70% of the vote. Historians are divided on the issue of his majority in the first election. The flagpinned historians like to say that Hamilton rigged even his first election, that every paving stone on his path was an act of corruption. They paint a picture of Hamilton having run New England all along through a John Adams marionette, but the truth is a finicky thing. Objectivity is an eel that slips through your hands, and it’s been known to bite. The fact of the matter is that while Hamilton had many opponents, they were divided amongst themselves. Hamilton was the sole significant candidate of the Federalist Party, but there were three Republican candidates: Elbridge Gerry, George Clinton, and Aaron Burr. Aaron Burr was still turning Tammany Hall into a political machine that could rival Hamilton’s Society of the Cincinnati, and his feud with Clinton divided the vote. Gerry tried to remain aloof from the catfight of power politics and win the Republican vote by prestige. Unfortunately, his hermitage reduced him in the voters’ minds, and with his prestige came association with the Federalists. In my view, the more level-headed historians agree Hamilton only engaged in vote-rigging in his second-term bid. Then again, I’ve never been called level-headed, and it does take one to know one. Whether or not the Federalists stuffed the ballots for Hamilton in the Presidential Election of 1797, it’s clear he still would have won by a large majority. When my compatriots hear me write this way, they assume I apologize for Hamilton, or even argue in favor of his policies. I never apologize. I point the finger. My dear Yankees, our ancestors voted Hamilton into office. To deny that is not patriotism, but cowardice.

~ ~ ~

Nathanael Greene (1797 – 1805): Georgia, Democratic-Republican
2nd President of the United States of America

QCblzEx.png

“We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again.”​
— Greene on campaign during the Revolutionary War

~ ~ ~

Vice-President: Patrick Henry (Virginia, 1797 - 1799), James Madison (1799 – 1805)

Chief Justice: John Rutledge (South Carolina, 1789 – 1800), Bushrod Washington (Virginia, 1800 – 1829)

Secretary of State: James Monroe (Virginia, 1797 – 1799), Thomas Jefferson (Virginia, 1799 – 1805)

Secretary of War: Thomas Sumter (South Carolina, 1797 – 1805)

Secretary of the Treasury: James Madison (Virginia, 1797 – 1799), James Monroe (Virginia, 1799 – 1805)

Attorney General: John Breckinridge (Kentucky, 1797 – 1805)

Nathanael Greene was elected during the Pre-Party System in the United States. No political parties were officially recognized by the government, and most candidates ran under a “Democratic-Republican” ticket. There was a loose group of Federalists in the United States headed by South Carolina’s C. C. Pinckney, but it could hardly be considered a party. Federalism dominated New England, but it was weak in the South even before the disaster of the First Philadelphia Convention. After Hamilton’s rise to power, the word “Federalist” became a slur, and the Society of the Cincinnati in the United States broke entirely from the New England branch, electing President Nathanael Greene as its own President. Four candidates received significant shares of votes for office. Nathanael Greene won with 53% of the vote, Patrick Henry received 22% of the vote, James Madison 16%, and Charles Cotesworth Pinckney received 6%, with 3% of the vote belonging to various other write-in candidates. None of the candidates ran significant campaigns, but Greene’s particular brand of prestige gave him an edge even over the heady reputations of his opponents. Though he’d largely toed the line of the immensely popular Jefferson, he blanched at Jefferson’s reduction of the navy and relative neglect of the militia. It was evident that the United States could not avoid conflict with New England, and soon. Though Patrick Henry and James Madison were respected ideological leaders, Greene’s legacy seemed more relevant with war on the horizon. The people remembered his salvation of the South during the Revolution, how he’d pushed the British back to the sea where so many others gave ground. Greene was born a Yankee, but the South adopted him. Friends in Georgia offered him land at war’s end, and though he took time to acclimate to the new climate – he suffered sunstroke in 1786, but recovered soon after – he took to the landed life with ease. He retired from his military glory to live a planter’s life, but won second place in the first Presidential race, and agreed to take on the responsibility of Vice-President. When Jefferson declined to run again, Greene was the obvious choice to defend the Southern states once more.

~ ~ ~

Disputes began to mount between our sister-nations from the moment they forged their separate paths. Besides their ideological divide and their opposing foreign leanings, the nebulous borders between the new states provided a host of flashpoints. Delaware was anything but secure with Maryland at its back. The Chesapeake peninsula was sparsely settled by farmers and fisherman, and the stone markers along the straight line of the Mason-Dixon did not make for a defensible border. The problems on the Chesapeake were only a pale imitation of the issues in the Northwest Territory, where there were no true borders between the claims of Yankee and American states. In the early days, most settlers banded together against outside threats regardless of nationality. After the Northwest Indian Wars solidified their countries’ positions over the Native populace, they shattered the brief peace. Perhaps without the issue of ideology, the settlers would not have been so quick to go for the throat. Yankee settlers knew that Americans like William Henry Harrison wanted to expand the South’s planter economy to the Northwest and encircle New England with slave states. American settlers knew that Yankees wanted to spread their banks and their factories along the Great Lakes, and if New England ate too big a slice of the Northwest cake, they could spread further across the Continent and become an even more dangerous enemy. Adams and Jefferson each battled the Natives of the territories East of the Mississippi. After a string of defeats over the Native confederacies, Adams appointed Henry Knox to headed New England’s campaign, while Jefferson appointed “Mad” Anthony Wayne to organize the United States’ effort. Both commanders recognized the need to train and discipline their disorganized militias, and the Presidents of their respective nations passed Militia Acts in 1792 to allow the necessary measures. In New England, the Whiskey Rebellion would demand a revision and expansion of the Militia Act in 1795 to provide for federal response to insurrection. The Barbary States had been hassling both the United States and New England. As the United States developed its coastguard and New England continued constructing its fleet, the Barbary States each made separates peaces with the twin nations. Adams had wrangled treaties with Algiers and Morocco in his final chaotic years in office, and the documents he’d prepared with Tripoli and Tunis were finalized in the beginning of Hamilton’s term. Adams grumbled as Yankee merchants cheered Hamilton’s name.

Though Henry Knox retired at the end of the Northwest Indian Wars that year, he kept in contact with his friend and ally Hamilton, and Hamilton called on his expertise once more when he took office. Hamilton had promised the post of Secretary of War to Timothy Pickering, his co-conspirator in Adams’ government, but Knox was uninterested in active government or military service. Still, Knox was Hamilton’s most important advisor on the Northwest situation. He advised Hamilton that New England’s position in the Northwest was untenable. New England’s somewhat tighter regulations on land speculation and settlement meant they had fewer boots on the ground, and Virginia’s claims overshadowed that of any other state. Knox was in a unique position to grasp the hanging vine that would lead New England out of her quagmire. He had surprisingly liberal views of the Native populace, despite or because of his battles with their tribes and confederations, and recognized them as sovereign nations, not as mere weeds to be culled from the garden. The fracture of the former colonies had sent the Native states into diplomatic disarray. The split from Britain already made the situation confusing. Before the Revolution, most Native Americans had little reason to differentiate the British from the colonists, and now even the colonists came under two flags. Knox and Hamilton were determined to capitalize on the confusion. Little Turtle was the most famous Native warleader on the Continent and a prominent member of the Miami tribe. The Yankee General St. Clair suffered the first great defeat of the Northwest Indian Wars to Little Turtle, but after being forced to sign a humiliating treaty, Little Turtle championed cooperation to preserve his people. Soon after Hamilton's election, the new President met with Little Turtle and presented the warleader with a ceremonial sword as a symbol of burgeoning alliance.

UTBq1vD.jpg

Little Turtle of the Miami

Hamilton and Greene each took office near the end of 1797, and they each capped the first year of their term with a bit of legislation. Hamilton passed the Tariff of 1797 to increase the country’s tax base and the Useful Manufactures Act to further protect and fortify New England’s growing industries, especially its naval factories. Greene passed the Militia Reorganization Act of 1797, providing for better organization and training of its prospective military, still slapdash after the Militia Act of 1792.

1798 was a flurry of activity in New England. The Senate established the New England Marines and passed the Naval Expansion Act of 1798, allowing for the construction of four additional frigates to join the six constructed during Adams’ term. The War of the First Coalition had dwindled by October of the previous year, but Britain remained at war, and a new Coalition coalesced. Hamilton expanded his international aims with King’s Treaty. The Treaty affirmed the kinship between New England and Great Britain and put them on the same page when it came to the Northwest Territory. In the past, the British had funded Native American confederations to undermine their wayward colonials, but the Americans were entering the French orbit as New England mended bridges with her mother. King’s Treaty assured that the British would no longer support the Natives in their fight against Yankee interests. Instead, they’d funnel their funds to stem the tide of Americans coming up from the South. King’s Treaty outraged the United States and Yankee Republicans, but the Federalists dominated the Senate at the apex of their popular support. They passed the Alien & Sedition Acts under the guise of national security to further entrench their party. The Naturalization Act of 1798 increased the time required for naturalization to 14 years with 5 years advance notice (largely to restrict Irish immigrants, who usually became Republicans), the Alien Friends Act and the Alien Enemies Act allowed the President to imprison or deport aliens “dangerous to the peace and safety of the country,” or any citizen of a hostile nation within their borders over the age of 14, and the Sedition Act restricted speech critical of the federal government, even allowing imprisonment in extreme cases in times of war. It’s hard to imagine how these autocratic laws could be put in place by a democratic government, but it’s all too easy to gloss it over with the Black Alexander Myth. Even the controversial Sedition Act was met with significant popular support, and that’s a truth we have to stomach. Fries’ Rebellion broke out among the Pennsylvania Dutch in early 1799, the last insurrection against Federalist tax policies. The government crushed it in months and imprisoned many of the agitators.

Greene enjoyed support from all corners of the country and a cooperative government, but his cabinet still required reorganization. His Vice-President Patrick Henry and Chief Justice John Rutledge both died in 1799, forcing Greene to shake things up. James Madison, who had been his Secretary of Treasury, assumed the role of Vice-President, and Greene appointed Bushrod Washington the new Chief Justice. Jefferson returned from his restless retirement to become Greene’s new Secretary of State, and shifted Monroe to head the essential Treasury Department left open by Madison. Greene passed the Naval Reconstruction Act, allowing for the construction of four frigates to prepare for impending war, but the Act would prove too little, too late. By the dawn of the next century, New England’s navy sported five frigates armed to the teeth – New York’s NES President, Massachusetts’ NES Constitution, Pennsylvania’s NES Federation, New Hampshire’s NES Senate, and Rhode Island's NES Liberty – with five more near completion. On February of 1800, the NES Constitution fought and captured the French privateer Vengeance. After the Constitution’s victory and capture of L’Insurgence at the same time the last year, Hamilton felt the window of opportunity was finally open. After many deliberations on the issue, the Senate of New England declared war on the Republic of France for its diplomatic insults and its disruption of trade. Hamilton declared an end to foreign depredations and Jacobin extremism as the country approached the precipice of its destiny.

"For never can true reconcilement grow where wounds of deadly hate have pierced so deep...”​
— John Milton, from Paradise Lost

Last edited:
Chapter Six: Leviathan
The State of Nature

leviathan.jpg

“Covenants, without the sword, are but words and of no strength to secure a man at all.”​
— Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan

~ ~ ~

The Franco-Yankee War was only a sideshow to the War of the Second Coalition to the larger war, but it proved a defining moment in my country’s history, for good or for ill. 1800 seemed the perfect time to strike against the French and prove the country’s independence from all foreign powers. To the Americans, his declaration only symbolized New England’s thralldom to their estranged motherland. For Hamilton, the war served a dual purpose. Beyond securing New England’s place on the world stage, Hamilton saw the war as a means to keep the country secure and paralyze his opposition once and for all. The Alien and Sedition Acts already gave the President significant ability to fine or imprison immigrants, foreigners, and those who organized or disseminated literature against the government. In times of war, the Acts further expanded the President’s power over threats to national security.

An Act Respecting Alien Enemies said:
“All natives, citizens, denizens, or subjects of the hostile nation or government…and not actually naturalized, shall be liable to be apprehended, restrained, secured and removed, as alien enemies. And the President of New England shall be, and he is hereby authorized, in any event, as aforesaid, by his proclamation thereof, or other public act, to direct the conduct to be observed, on the part of New England, towards the aliens who shall become liable, as aforesaid…”

My mouth is dry as a desert after reading that legalese drivel, but obscurity is the law’s chief defense mechanism. The Federalist base had been firm even before Hamilton’s election, but under war’s umbrella, it had no little legal contest. The Republicans began to coalesce under the banner of Tammany Hall after Hamilton’s victory. The firebrand Aaron Burr and the old patriot George Clinton were never fond of each other, but the threat of the Sedition Acts that forced Tammany Hall into secrecy also forced them into cooperation. Though the Tammany Hall political machine was still far from contesting the Federalists’ Society of the Cincinnati by the outbreak of war, the Republican Party at least ceased to be a kingdom divided against itself.

The first year of war was relatively uneventful. Yankee ships hunted French privateers as the fleet finished construction, but there were no battles of note involving more than one French ship against one or two from New England. All resulted in Yankee victories, but none could be called decisive by any stretch of the imagination. France was faraway and its own navy was distracted by Britain, so Hamilton mostly used the conflict for political means. Apart from his expanded powers under the Alien & Sedition Acts, the string of victories against the French navy inflamed popular support for his regime and vindicated the Federalists’ significant naval spending. It also gave Hamilton the opportunity to raise up militias throughout the country and fortify his position against the Americans under the pretense of defense against the French. By the end of the year, troops lined the Mason-Dixon and massed in the Northwest Territory, ostensibly to ward off a potential French assault up from St. Louis. Greene and his fellow Americans were not so easily deceived, but the President of the United States knew his country had a significant disadvantage against their more centralized and militarized neighbor. Gabriel Prosser only irritated the public terror in an equivalent to Shays’ Rebellion up North. Gabriel was a Virginia slave born in 1776, a trained and literate blacksmith often sent to do business in Richmond for his master. All that I can say for certain is that he plotted a large-scale slave revolt that was discovered in the summer of 1800. The allegations varied from a plan to seize Richmond and create an African Kingdom in Virginia or a comparatively modest scheme to kidnap Governor Edmund Randolph and force him to abolish slavery in the state. There are conspiracies of British, Yankee, or even French involvement in the plot – in fact, some historians theorize that the so-called “Prosser’s Rebellion” was entirely fabricated as an excuse for the tight restrictions on the movement of slaves that would follow. No matter the exactitudes, Gabriel and his comrades were hanged, and American fear twinged against threats from all corners.

prosser_gabriel.jpg

Gabriel Prosser, one of slavery’s early martyrs on the American continent.

1801 seemed to erode all the promise of Hamilton’s glorious century. The war between France and Britain began to subside as Napoleon won battles across the Continent and forced the other members of the Coalition out again. The British public was already tired of war, and Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger fell from favor as the Tory Henry Addington took his place in March, eager to make peace. In April, Hamilton’s eldest son Philip overheard a young lawyer accusing the President of tyranny in a loud speech in a public place. Philip challenged the man to a duel, not content with letting legislature protect his father’s honor. When evening set on the day of their duel, the 19-year old Philip Hamilton died after hours of agony. His sister Angelica had a nervous breakdown and never recovered from the trauma. The President declared a national day of mourning, and his son’s assassin was tried and imprisoned under the terms of the Sedition Acts, though their duel was technically legal. Hamilton fought to keep strong under pressure, but his daughter was not the only Hamilton who would never recover from Philip’s death. His paranoia intensified as did imprisonment of his political opponents, and the Society of the Cincinnati calcified into another instrument of Hamilton’s autocracy. Members of the Society ostensibly “volunteered” to safeguard the public against foreign intrigue, but their true purpose was to root out resistance and curtail the growing influence of Tammany Hall.

Toussaint L’Ouverture’s revolutionary country covered the entire island by his conquest of Spanish Santo Domingo in January 3rd. After issuing a decree to free all slaves remaining on the island, he declared a new Constitution for the newly independent country of Haiti. Napoleon didn’t take Toussaint’s attempt at autonomy lightly. Addington’s mere ascendancy lessened pressure on the French Navy even with a truce still on the horizon. Napoleon sent his brother-in-law Charles Leclerc with a massive expedition to reestablish slavery and French control throughout the island in December. Thomas Jefferson was no longer President, but he was Secretary of State, and he still held sway in the American government. He pushed Greene to send a small American contingent of troops to support the French, citing the extreme peril of a free slave republic so close to their plantations. Greene knew the move would give Hamilton the perfect opportunity for war, but with France active in the Atlantic again, this could be his perfect opportunity to win it. Greene authorized his country’s support of the French Expedition. Though Hamilton was still rapt in the throes of grief, he could not reject the fruit of his long ambitions. In January of 1802, the New England Senate declared war on the United States for its support of the French enemy and their contesting claims on the Northwest Territory. With Haiti transformed from hostile territory into a new staging ground against New England’s enemies, Hamilton authorized his own country’s expedition and snuck a small Yankee contingent into Haiti to advise, arm, and support L’Ouverture’s resistance.

With the Treaty of Amiens on March 27th, 1802, Europe breathed a sigh of relief as New England struggled to catch its breath. The French force in Haiti was a massive one, and though the Yankees could offer the Haitians additional supplies, they were forced into guerilla warfare, hiding out in the mountains. Hamilton’s early mobilization into the Northwest Territory meant only that the Americans couldn’t drive out the Yankees without stiff resistance. 2,000 federal forces hunkered down as a Native confederacy led by Little Turtle of the Miami and Black Hoof of the Shawnee harried the Statesians and kept them from organizing for as long as possible. New England had a distinct advantage along the Mason-Dixon Line, but the Appalachian Mountains and the Piedmont Plateau made a significant advance impossible. Forces in Delaware were strong enough to discourage an American assault, but insufficient to take on the rest of the Chesapeake Peninsula. The war was becoming a stalemate and Hamilton was quickly running out of time as dissent bubbled against him beneath the surface. His salvation came by the year’s end. Leclerc’s Expedition met with initial success, but even with Napoleon shunting thousands of Frenchmen into Haiti, they could not stand against L’Ouverture’s best ally – yellow fever. By December, 15,000 Frenchmen lost the battle to the disease, including Leclerc himself. The Haitian forces were beleaguered, but they had the luxury of time, which proved so deadly to their enemies. The Treaty of Amiens meant an end to hostilities, but not to enmity, and tensions starting rising as soon as they fell. Things were still uncertain, but if France and Britain returned to a state of war, victory could fall within Hamilton’s grasp. He entered the front to lead Pennsylvania’s armies alongside many members of the Society of the Cincinnati, and his Secretary of State Rufus King took over many of the day-to-day responsibilities that did not concern a Commander-in-Chief.

The_First_Kiss.jpg

"The First Kiss This Ten Years," a caricature by James Gillray. Citizen François says, "Madame, permittez-me to pay my profound esteem to your engaging person! & to seal on your divine Lips; my everlasting attachment!!!" to which Britannia replies, "Monsieur, you are truly a well-bred Gentleman! — &, tho' you make me blush, yet, you Kiss so delicately, that I cannot refuse you; tho' I was sure you would Deceive me again!!!" These exclamation marks are Gillray's, not my own.

On May 18th, 1803, the Treaty of Amiens was shattered after only one year of peace and Britain assembled a Third Coalition to stand against Napoleon. Napoleon returned to Europe as he hemorrhaged troops in Haiti, and decided his adventures in the New World were not worth losing control over the Old World. He quickly made peace with Haiti and recognized its independence, then made peace with New England, offering to call the matter of debts square in the Treaty of Port-au-Prince. The Treaty concerned Haiti’s relation both with its old colonial master and its new ally in the Americas. Haiti emerged victorious with little help from the Yankees, but it was in a dire economic position in the wake of its independence. France and America both refused to recognize or trade with the state, as did most other nations. New England offered to recognize Haiti, grant the country small subsidies, and guarantee its independence, but only at a price. New England demanded favorable trade relations “in perpetuity,” the right for Yankee ships to harbor in Haitian ports, the right for New England to construct her own forts on Haitian soil “for mutual defense,” and the right for New England to repatriate freed slaves in Haiti. America raged against France’s betrayal, but French diplomats were already colluding with Greene’s government for post-war plans. Hamilton had been reluctant to mass the Yankee navy and commit to a blockade for fear of being crushed against the Chesapeake by French ships. With that threat blown out of the water, he was free to engage the baker’s dozen of ships he’d managed to either construct or repair after capture from the French. The New England Navy moved to blockade the Chesapeake and cut the peninsula off from mainland support. Meanwhile, he pushed troops from Pennsylvania into Delaware until he had the strength to push to the end of the peninsula, sparsely-populated and sparsely-defended with Richmond, Baltimore, and Maryland as the chief concern of the States. Resigned to New England’s incapacity to reach the American capital across the mountains and force a peace, Hamilton funneled troops from the Pennsylvania border into the Northwest Territory, and led the way himself. The Yankees had been able to stand their ground before and had solid control over the area around the Great Lakes, but with the Americans in Kentucky, they were still dominant force in the Southern half of the Territory. America had been deserted by her ally and couldn’t stand against the Yankee’s ballooning military in the Northwest. By the end of the year, New England was gaining ground. The Statesians began breaking ranks as the Yankees made their way to the Ohio River, and Greene realized they had no choice to concede if they wanted to survive. Yankee diplomats used the Chesapeake as a bargaining chip. They would return the occupied lands of the Peninsula to Maryland and Virginia, but only if the United States would renounce all claims on the Northwest Territory and cede them to New England. The Treaty of Nassau ended Hamilton’s War on March 3rd, 1804. The United States government had to swallow the bitter pill, but they took it with a swig of sweet wine. After months of negotiations with the French, Napoleon finalized a sale that had been completed in secret even before the Treaty of Nassau. The whole of the Louisiana Territory, including the important cities of New Orleans and St. Louis, was transferred from France to the United States for the bargain price of $15,000,000, or about 4 cents per acre. The sale gave New England their own taste of outrage, but it could hardly dull the taste of victory. The Federalists rejoiced at the end of the long struggle and Hamilton planned to run for a 3rd term, but his celebrations were cut short. He founded the National Military Academy at West Point in his last act as President, still glowing, unaware of the fall to come. Aaron Burr had been a fugitive since his attempted arrest in 1802, staying with the Clinton family. The Clintons had gone from Aaron Burr's rivals for control of New England's Republicans to allies by necessity. They'd become allies in politics and in marriage after Theodosia Burr's union with George Clinton Jr., the brother of Dewitt Clinton. He reemerged at war’s end with the publication of a scathingly detailed report of several affairs Hamilton had while in office, including one woman Burr had hired to gather information. Hamilton tried to counter Burr’s accusations with total honesty and assure the public he’d used no public funds to keep his affairs quiet, but no one wants an honest politician. Hamilton’s reputation went down in flames overnight along with his ability to hold the country in an iron fist. The pulsing boil of discontent burst into the open air. Public criticism against Hamilton which had so long been illegal was now the talk of the day. A lawsuit congealed accusing Hamilton not only of adultery, but corruption and treason for his subversion of the law. New England was and remains a highly moralistic society, and they can hardly abide vice in plain sight. Even his own party turned against him, recognizing the need to cut themselves loose from a sinking ship. Hamilton lost the reins of his government as surely as Adams’ had, but in one fell swoop. With his world crashing down around him, Hamilton was determined to defend his honor by any means. He challenged Aaron Burr to a duel, perhaps remembering the death of his own son at the onset of the war. When they met on the field with their seconds, Aaron Burr aimed just above Hamilton’s head, and the bullet sailed just a few feet above his cap. Hamilton steeled his nerves and aimed for the stomach. Hamilton was jailed pending his trial and the next election, and Aaron Burr breathed his last.

CuuXPEY.gif

EDITOR: The 1805 borders between New England (green), the United States with the Louisiana Purchase (shades of orange), and European holdings on the continent, butchered in another godawful map by yours truly.

The Federalists maintained a strong standing in the next elections, as they were still the party of industry, business, and the Yankee aristocracy, but they had no true hope of victory in Hamilton’s wake. George Clinton of the Republican Party was elected the 3rd President of New England and Protector of Her Liberties. He promised a Bill of Rights, the repeal of Hamilton’s tyrannical Acts, and a new era of government accountability and restraint. Greene left office beloved for his tenacious defense despite defeat, and James Madison was elected the 3rd President of the United States of America as the leader his own nation's Republican Party, now an official organization. Madison saw the dangers of ill-preparation, and vowed to reform and defend the country’s institutions. Citizens of the sister nations still held prejudices against each other after the war, especially those forced to evacuate the Northwest, but Hamilton’s fall gave some small sense of catharsis. 1805 seemed the dawn of peace and prosperity across the continent after so many years of fear and violence.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.

— Robert Frost

Last edited:
Oh my. I'm a bit mixed - New England's sedition laws passed shall be bitter for the future. I hope that a bit more common sense and right for the common man shall prevail in time and they shall be repealed, even if classic Yankee morality apparently remains to our present times.

At the least, I'm glad the Northwest is for New England and my own Delawarean home was kept safe - I shall hope for my nation it's a part of they'll be able to expand westwards somehow. After all, why would America desire that worthless wasteland above St. Louis?

Another excellent update upon the world, Ms. Bottler! Please, know myself and many others continue reading on in excitement.

With his world crashing down around him, Hamilton was determined to defend his honor by any means. He challenged Aaron Burr to a duel, perhaps remembering the death of his own son at the onset of the war. When they met on the field with their seconds, Aaron Burr aimed just above Hamilton’s head, and the bullet sailed just a few feet above his cap. Hamilton steeled his nerves and aimed for the stomach. Hamilton was jailed pending his trial and the next election, and Aaron Burr breathed his last.

This is not tragic irony, but terrible irony. :D:(