Asante Rising

Sorry for the long pause between updates; I'm just wondering where exactly to go next with the story. I try not to jump between years too much but I may have no choice, as I can't think of anything interesting happening in the rest of 85 or 86.

But don't worry, updates will be coming soon.

Funny thing, I've actually written updates for this multiple times, but I've deleted them every time because they're not up to snuff. :p

Three problems keep me from updating. One is the lack of information on African states surrounding Asante. Two is trying to decide whether to skip half-a-decade {or more} in the interests of speeding things along, or keep going at a yearly{ish} pace with more focus on the characters {this is actually a big problem, I've written up updates for both options and deleted them all}. Three is I've been sucked into the NG portion of this site. :p

What do you guys think? Yearly pace or skip ahead? Oh, and what countries should I visit besides Asante? I have like no knowledge of Europe so I'm afraid I can't travel there.

Funny thing, I've actually written updates for this multiple times, but I've deleted them every time because they're not up to snuff. :p

Three problems keep me from updating. One is the lack of information on African states surrounding Asante. Two is trying to decide whether to skip half-a-decade {or more} in the interests of speeding things along, or keep going at a yearly{ish} pace with more focus on the characters {this is actually a big problem, I've written up updates for both options and deleted them all}. Three is I've been sucked into the NG portion of this site. :p

What do you guys think? Yearly pace or skip ahead? Oh, and what countries should I visit besides Asante? I have like no knowledge of Europe so I'm afraid I can't travel there.

Talk to Jonathan Edelstein for information. He may not have it himself, but I'm sure he'l have sources. Secondly, I'd say speed things along. Personally, I prefer non-character-based timelines in general, but that's just me. Finally, I'd say that a visit to Southern Africa would be pretty interesting.

I'd love to see another update on this whenever you get the time! :)

Cheers,
Ganesha

To the east, the kingdom of Dahomey might be an interesting place to visit; to the west, the kingdom of the Baoulé, the Bouna kingdom and the Senoufo state of Kenedougou; to the north, the three kingdoms of the Mossi, the Toucouleur empire, and the Toucouleur successor states such as Samori Touré's Wassoulou. You might also want to discuss what effect the strengthening of the Asante state is having on the surrounding pre-state peoples.

The pace should be whatever you're comfortable with. If you can't think of anything in a particular year that would move the story along, or you 'd prefer to let the changes play out a bit before returning to the narrative, then by all means skip a few years.

Hey! This seems to be a rather slept on timeline, but it is quite enjoying. As Jonathan said, we need more African TLs, so keep it up. My knowledge on the region isn't great, so it's not like I can make in-depth comment, but I like. :)

FORMER FANTE-CONTROLLED COAST, 1890

Yaw Badu, youngest child and now unofficial-heir to the Badu business, strolled through the Asante Coast at a leisurely pace. Finally given some attention by his father, he was now allowed the responsibility of meeting trade contacts in the Fante region. For Yaw, it was about time his father recognized that he was a better merchant than Enam. While Enam spent his days staring into the barrel of guns for fun, Yaw was out there in the markets, with nothing but a handful of coins and a sack of misshapen potatoes given to him out of pity by his mother, making a small fortune. By the time his father Atu decided that Yaw would be the one {most likely} to control his fortune after his death, Yaw's own business dealings were already self-sustaining.

Turning a corner, Yaw gave casual glances to the stalls. He was indeed shopping, but at his own pace, without giving the appearance of being rushed or in need of anything. He would keep nonchalantly circling the market for a while, even though he already knew what he wanted. Meanwhile, his father's order to him to make new trade contacts could wait; just as Yaw had been kept waiting by him.

The market square was surrounded by moderately-large buildings; some of them government buildings, but most were residences. Yaw did not care for the way the Fante built their homes; they looked ugly and bare. These people can't even built a little hut correctly, and they thought they could stand against us, he thought.

As if his thought was a trigger, a massive KA-BOOM erupted from behind him. Yaw was thrown to the ground violently, he felt wood splinters pierce his back. Everything appeared to be shaking to Yaw's eyes. He didn't know what to do, he simply kept to the ground with his arms over his head.

Silence followed. For how long, Yaw would never be able to say.

And then the screams. Loud, wild, screams of complete shock and fear. And pain. And, soon, mourning. Yaw overcame his own confusion and panic, and rose to his feet to see what exactly was happening. Looking to where the sound came from, he saw the burning ruin of an Asante government building. Soldiers were already rushing to the scene, but for many of the people lying in the market square, they were too late.

Yaw couldn't look at this anymore. He turned away and promptly threw up all over his nice shoes. Wiping his mouth, he looked in the opposite direction of the ruined building and the dead bodies. He looked straight ahead, hoping to see nothing that reminded him of the chaos behind. Instead, he saw a dark figure holding was looked to be a rifle, darting into an alleyway.

Great to see an update on this, Kooluk Swordsman! And very well written too. You have a gift for introducing characters smoothly, naturally, and in a way that makes them interesting.

Cheers,
Ganesha

FANTE UPRISING, 1890

Kwame had been enjoying a quick meal with Minkah in a tavern, before continuing their rounds, when an earth-shaking explosion rocked the establishment. They quickly glanced at each other before readying their rifles and pistols. After that, they rushed out into the street.

What confronted Kwame was chaos. Asante and Fante running in all directions, a large billow of smoke rising from the direction of the market square. Not knowing what else to do, Kwame recommended heading to the barracks, in order to get a better sense of what was going on. Minkah agreed, and the two were off. Kwame's mind was a complete blank slate at this point; it had no idea what to think or do besides put one foot in front of the other towards the barracks. Looking around as he rushed toward the army, he saw children weeping in their mothers arms, and mothers trying desperately to drag their children to what they thought may be safety. Kwame also saw the beginning of looting, though he didn't even give a thought to stopping it. No, one problem at a time.

Kwame glanced back toward Minkah. He looked just as stunned and confused as Kwame himself was. Their eyes met for a brief moment, then Kwame turned around and picked up the pace. His brain was so panic-stricken over what he was seeing that he didn't pick up the sounds coming from the block where the barracks were housed. If Minkah hadn't pulled him to a stop, he probably never would have.

"Listen!" Minkah yelled. "Do you hear that?"

Kwame had to strain over the noise all around him, but his ears soon enough picked it up. "Gunshots", Kwame said, panic creeping into his voice. "But who else is armed?"

"Do you have to ask?"

Kwame cursed. "We need to get to the barracks; if it falls we're screwed."

They ducked into an alleyway; a shortcut to the barracks, with Kwame in the lead. They were nearing the exit when suddenly a young Fante woman burst through. She noticed them before Kwame could fully register her presence. And unfortunately, she was armed.

Realizing that Kwame and Minkah were Asante soldiers, she quickly raised her pistol and pointed it straight at Kwame's chest. Kwame and Minkah were holding their rifles; not suited for this kind of close combat. And anyway, she had them in her sights first.

"You killed my family, Asante pigs!" she barked coldly.

There was no time to react. Kwame froze, reflecting on his entire life in a few short moments.

A shot rang out.

Great to see an update on this, Kooluk Swordsman! And very well written too. You have a gift for introducing characters smoothly, naturally, and in a way that makes them interesting.

Cheers,
Ganesha

Thanks! :D Your kind words are most welcome.

I've decided to jump 5 years ahead, which I realized made me skip over the Suez thingy, which I really wanted to put in the story. I'll cover that a bit later.