Arrogance and Empire - An Alternate 7 Years' War Novel - Part 7 - 1800-1808

Chapter 74
September 1808

Cork

Colonel Jose de San Martin smiled expansively as the city fathers of Cork nearly genuflected in gratitude as Marshal Ney indulgently accepted their praise. The dignified Frenchman discovered the conquest of the magnificent port of Cork to be far less perilous that he'd feared. The Franco-Spanish-Portuguese fleet had arrived without incident at the sprawling harbor a week prior. The winds were poor, making the journey north last a few days longer than the allies had hoped, but at least no storms arose to challenge Ney's invasion as General Hoche had faced six years earlier his own abortive conquest of Ireland. Better still, barely a British ensign was seen at sea. Only a handful of trading vessels and a Frigate or two noticed the massive fleet's passage past the tip of Bretagne towards southern Ireland.

Arriving in as orderly a fashion as any massive convoy of a hundred and sixty vessels could (and crewed by questionable French sailors), the fleet made anchor in Cork Harbor on the 2nd of September. Prior to the departure, great debates raged as to the strategy of taking the iconic Irish port. Some high-ranking admirals lamented the complexity of such an invasion and pleaded with the Emperor to allow a smaller force to seize the harbor first before sending for the cumbersome invasion fleet. Should a sizable British fleet defend the harbor, the entire convoy might be scattered and lost, they claimed. However, Emperor Napoleon I had no time for half-measure. They entire fleet would sail, and it would take Cork in the allotted time. As the armada entered Cork harbor, the Naval Commanders were shocked at the complete lack of defenses. Obviously stripped of any valuable warships to defend southern England, Cork's sole protectors included a pair of Frigates and a sloop. The Portuguese galleons and the French ships-of-the-line made short work of them and even rashly set fire to a trio British warship sitting empty and impotent awaiting repair.

A handful of British soldiers scrambled along the shoreline but not a single shot was fired from the obviously dilapidated and undermanned fortifications of Fort Camden, Fort Carlisle and Fort Westmorland guarding the Lower Cork Harbor. That evening, several fires erupted within the city as Irish rioters violently turned upon the few British troops daring to remain. Per the Emperor's orders, the disembarkation process was to take two days despite the objections of every sailor in the fleet such a timetable was impossible. It took a full five to even get the French and Spanish soldiers and horses ashore. Had hundreds of Irish longshoremen and sailors not turned out in numbers to assist, half the men and provisions would still rot aboard ship. The allied naval vessels promptly took defensive positions along the mouth of the harbor after pummeling the British fortifications into silence but days stretched into a week without the slightest hint of British retaliation.

Thousands of Irish farmers arrived from the countryside, most unarmed and pitifully thin and some bearing only makeshift spears and daggers, demanding to join Ney's army. Immediately, the French Marshal ordered a full accounting of the men and segregated out those of use. Enough arms were discovered in the untouched Cork armory to outfit two Regiments from the stronger men. Sadly, the garrison's powder store had been destroyed by the retreating British force. Apparently, the city held only one hundred able-bodied British regulars. Twice that many were captured in the squalid military hospital emitting a particularly foul stench throughout the town. Reportedly, the military hospital cared for the majority of the British Army's lame and afflicted in Ireland. So great was the locals' ire, San Martin was forced to post guards upon the dismal building to keep the natives from torching the helpless victims of African Death, cholera and Bleeding Death. Judging by the hundreds of fresh graves hastily dug into the local cemetery, the plagues had taken their toll of Irishmen of late.

"Marshal Ney," stuttered an aging Irishman through an interpreter, "we warmly receive you to the Emerald Isle. The Irish people have dreamt for years of a liberator to help us throw off the yoke of British oppression. Many a season, we rose in rebellion only to be crushed by a merciless foreign power. You shall have the whole of Ireland at your side, sir, as you eject the British into the sea!"

Seated in a tall-backed chair in a courtyard before an ancient stone building which San Martin assumed was a custom house or town hall, Ney received the praise and adamant words of gratitude with aplomb. So enraptured by the prospect of freedom from their protestant landlords, the Irish uttered not a word of objection when Ney confiscated entire storehouses of beef, grain and butter as well as commandeered virtually every usable horse and mule to properly outfit his command. Only later did San Martin learn that virtually everything seized had belonged to Protestant merchants or landholders. The impoverished Irish Catholic rarely had anything worth sequestering. Thought it had been a long week of toil since disembarking upon the Cork docks, the Army of Bordeaux, rechristened by the locals as the Army of Liberation, was finally prepared to more east towards the heart of British domination in Ireland. Fifteen thousand French and Spanish regulars, augmented by five thousand hastily assembled Irish auxilleries, would march on the morrow.

Presently, Ney stood and addressed the throng of officers and local civic leaders in his native French, "My friends, your day of liberation has arrived. I have received word that your brethren have revolted throughout the length of Ireland. As England herself collapses before Emperor Napoleon's might, so shall the pitiful remnants of her hold on Ireland. On to Dublin!"

Though San Martin doubted one in ten of the Irish onlookers comprehended a word the Frenchman said beyond "British" and "Dublin", his tone brooked no ambiguity. Albion would fall. San Martin gazed throughout the wildly cheering audience and spied both Bernardo O'Higgins, long an exile to his native land, and the youthful adjutant, Lieutenant Wolf Tone, weeping in joy. O'Higgins proved himself worthy of his rank while the latter exercised his duties with the remarkable energy of the young.

The Spaniard nodded silently to himself as the surrounding crowd raised their voices in cheer.

Yes, we may actually prevail yet.

Chapter 75
September, 1808

Guadeloupe

By random chance, Private James King was selected to stand honor guard during the parley requested by the governor of Guadeloupe and his senior military officers. An elderly English General stooped next to a short, fat man in civilian clothing. Flanked by two of their own privates in the admittedly impressive red jackets and tall caps, hatred and contempt radiated from the men in waves. Behind then were a few quiet civilians whom King assumed were leading citizens. After the expected brief exchange of honors, the insults began.

"You and your entire pitiful nation shall rue the day that you dared set foot on British territory!" The governor began. "I demand an immediate withdrawal from our soi…"

"Shut the hell up, ye bloody beast!" Shouted O'Rourke. "Ye'r beaten and ye know it. This is not a negotiation. As a courtesy, I am here to inform ye of the terms of yer surrender."

Stunned an Irishman would dare to speak to a Briton such, the Governor's face blotched beet red in outrage to the point that he could not speak.

The elderly British General inserted, "I suggest you control yourself, Colonel, as Great Britain will not tolerate this outrage. Our revenge for your impertinence will be terrible. The British fleet will pour down upon you like the wrath of…"

"Y'er fleet has been sunk by the French occupying your capital," O'Rourke inserted with vicious satisfaction. "I suggest you concern yourself with your miserable lives."

"Ye are surrounded and outnumbered. If ye do not surrender, we will burn your miserable town to the ground with you in it."

Seeing that the British General was about to reply, one of the citizens smoothly cut in with a formal bow, "Colonel O'Rourke, I am Angus Smythe, a plantation owner and citizen of this humble island. Surely, further bloodshed is unnecessary. Perhaps terms could be arranged for which all could retain honor."

Ignoring the officers’ outcries, McNeil wagged his finger at them.

Obviously, the planters rule here, thought King.

"Gentlemen," the rich Englishman continued grandiosely, "though our great nations are at war, certainly honor and human dignity can be retained. This island has been fought over many times and, in each case, property rights and various freedoms were guaranteed during an occupation."

"Soldiers," he continued with a nod to the apoplectic British General, "were offered full military honors. The defeated armies were allowed to sail for home waters with various small arms, regimental colors, cannon, etcetera. Life always went on. Can we not think of the fate of thousands of helpless and innocent people ahead of war? Let the diplomats deal with larger issues while life goes on for the common man."

King wondered if this pontificating coward sat in Parliament. Most plantation owners of Guadeloupe did as the story went. The man probably thought that he could retain his own wealth and privileges by selling out his country. If so, he obvious had never met Colonel O'Rourke.

With a savage smile, O'Rourke replied, "Why mister..?

"Smythe," the plantation owner replied smoothly.

"Why, Mister Smythe," O'Rourke continued, "I am merely fulfilling the will of the people of this island. You see, over the past several days, I have consulted with the Irish, negros, even those poor English debtors that ye have chained out in those canefields. They are the ones that do not wish for "life to go on" in the current state of affairs."

"I daresay that they have most explicitly expressed the desire to wipe you and your type off the face of this island. You see, good gentlemen, over the past few days I have distributed rifles, shot and powder to every prisoner and slave toilingon this island."

Delighted at their horrified expressions etched across the Englishmen's faces, he added, "It seems that each and every overseer and plantation owner failing to reach the relative safety of Georgetown has been strung up and cut to pieces by their inferiors."

"Oh, you Englishmen do make quite the racket as you die. But now that they inhabitants of this island have run out of people to kill, they have all arrived here. Even now, thousands sit behind my lines waiting for the chance to enter and….properly thank King George's army and loyal subjects for their treatment."

King thought the civilians would faint dead away. The governor fell silent as he knew full well that the town could not possibly be defended. Only the Redcoat General could bring himself to speak.

"Sir," he uttered through clenched teeth, "This is a violation of every human decency and military honor."

Laughing, O'Rourke responded with a sneer, "Sir…the English have no honor or decency to begin with. And they shall receive none from me."

Eyes flashing, O'Rourke laid out his terms, "Georgetown will surrender at by noon today. There will be no conditions. The army will yield all arms and supply and the soldiers imprisoned. The officers will be no exception. The naval vessels in the harbor will be surrendered with all cannon and provision."

Turning to McNeil, "The "civilians" who are responsible for the atrocities I've witnessed on this island will be given no rights whatsoever except my protection from those you have wronged. Your wretched lives will be preserved, no more. If you are fortunate, you and your soldiers will be removed to some port in Columbia where you will be safe."

"Britain's reign on this island is over." Throwing a parchment on their feet, O'Rourke added as he looked up at the sun, "It appears you have less than two hours to noon. You have that long to sign the surrender terms as I have written. If you fail to do so in that time, I will not consider or accept any future offer of surrender. Your defenses will be shelled and then I shall remove my army to higher ground. Your fate will be determined by the ten thousand slaves and prisoners waiting outside your walls."

Turning to lead, O'Rourke stopped and finished, "Understand, Sirs, I pray you do not sign. Nothing would please me more than watching Georgetown burn with every last one of you in it."

With that, O'Rourke stomped away with King in tow.

Chapter 76
September 1808

Georgetown, Guadeloupe

My Dear Julia,

I bring good news. Guadeloupe has surrendered unconditionally. It was quite a sight to see. The Redcoats marched out of the capital almost as if on parade and surrendered their weapons. The British fleet, only a handful of frigates and sloops and two ships of the line that we later learned were unseaworthy also surrendered. When the British General commanding the defenses was called upon to surrender his sword, he broke it rather than hand it over.

Colonel O'Rourke didn't seem to care. The British soldiers were marched back into town where they remained under guard in their barracks. Ben Hayes says General Hatfield, the expedition commander whom O'Rourke reports to remained on board the blockading fleet the whole time, screamed at O'Rourke for the harsh and humiliating terms. The Irishman didn't apologize and simply directed the General to speak to the natives. I can't image how a General can remain on board a ship while his subordinates fight anyhow. Seemed a coward, really.

As is, Hatfield didn't alter the conditions. Once he met the slaves and prisoners, he understood why. Apparently, the inhabitants of this island had elected some sort of leaders for their mobs and demanded that the Columbian Army step out of the way and let them deal with the British. I believe they meant to kill every single soldier and British civilian just as O'Rourke threatened.

Hatfield immediately ordered the Brits loaded onto the captured British trader vessels and shipped them to Columbia. Problem was, there wasn't enough room for the redcoats. Fortunately, another Columbian flotilla arrived with additional supplies (this island grows nothing but sugarcane. Without food imports, not only the army but the natives would starve). Once unloaded, there were enough transports to take the enemy soldiers back to Boston or Baltimore or New York or wherever they were destined. With the slaves hunting down a few Brits hiding in the hills, I daresay that Guadeloupe will so be free of their influences.

Though I loathe the treatment of these poor souls, I wonder how our actions reflect upon ourselves. Do we just create a spiral of hatred with the enemy? If so, the conquest of a few sugar islands will prove scant compensation.

Anyway, the flotilla I mentioned had just come from another island in the Caribbean. Apparently, President Burr ordered another expedition fleet to the south. They conquered some place called Dominica, we're not sure yet exactly where that island is or who lives there. But the General, General Harrison that is, who took that island came with the fleet to Guadeloupe and he has been given overall command of Columbian forces in the area. I thank God for that as Hatfield is obviously a coward.

The worst news is that many men in my Regiment have started to fall ill with Malaria despite the efforts of the doctors. Fortunately, only a few cases of Bleeding Death and none of Yellow Fever, apparently common this time of year, have come up.

The Sergeant is going to make an announcement shortly so I must go.

All my love. I think of you every day.

Your James.

Chapter 77
September, 1808

Windsor

Once again consolidating their armies, the defenders of Great Britain sought to offer a last-ditch attempt before the ancient Windsor Castle to repel the French invaders. Nearly forty thousand British soldiers – regulars, reserves and militia – formed a jagged line along the best ground east of the Castle. Unlike St. James Palace, Buckingham House, Kensington Palace and other Royal properties already seized by the French forces, Windsor provided something akin to a true defensive fortification…though obviously obsolete against the power of modern siege artillery…which the French army lacked in abundance.

However, King George IV, horrified at using the expansive…and expensively redecorated…Windsor Castle as a battlefield pleaded with his brother Frederick to halt the enemy before reaching the gates. Prince Frederick, displaying more than a little contempt for his brother, grudgingly acceded. While preparing to fight, the commander-in-chief of His Majesty’s forces learned George spent the ensuing days overseeing the removal of hundreds of objects d’art throughout the massive castle, even utilizing dozens of wagons earmarked for military use to carry the valuable artwork north to safety.

Disgusted, and knowing the truth would swiftly make its way through the army, Prince Frederick arrayed his forces against the enemy.

Two miles east:

General Davout, having spent the past months chasing partisans and attempting to entice the British forces into battle, knew the enemy had the advantage of position, artillery, and cavalry. Several thousand French cavalry finally arrived from the Continent…though so many of the horses were injured or killed during the crossing (a spring gale incurred heavy casualties) that the French Chasseurs, Dragoons, Lancers, etc were forced to utilize whatever horseflesh could be acquired by the army throughout London and southeast England. This severely slowed the integration of these Regiment’s into Davout’s army.

Davout, seeking council with his senior Generals, Joubert and Kleber, demanded, “Well, shall we accept the British invitation to battle?”

Joubert, a short, stocky officer of some forty years and a close friend of the Emperor, nodded, “I think we have no choice, General. However, I do fear the enemy’s position to the west at Windsor may be but a feint and the British intend to strike from the north.”

“I disagree,” the Alsatian Kleber shook his head. “Our scouts report tens of thousands of British regulars under command of Prince Frederick himself…”

“Or merely militia in scarlet uniforms,” Joubert argued before turning back to Davout. “Frederick has had months to plan a defense. Surely, he’d have something more complex in mind than to fortify Windsor and wait for us to attack…”

“I don’t hold Frederick in such esteem as you, Joubert,” the Alsatian, countered. “A good administrator, I have yet to hear anyone refer to Frederick as the next Marlborough…”

“Enough!” Davout exclaimed, tired of the backbiting. “For months, we’ve consolidated London waiting for the British to present battle. They finally do so and we cannot miss the opportunity.”

“Kleber,” he turned to the senior man, “You have the right flank. Keep as many scouts as you want marauding to the north in search of a flanking maneuver. I don’t want to be pinned against the Thames any more than you do.”

To Joubert, he nodded, “General, you will strike along the northern shore of the river, bypassing the most powerful of the British defenses in the center. Let us crack the enemy like an egg.”

Twenty-four hours later:

Augmented by the Irish Brigade in French service (their General had suffered a leg wound and forced to return to London for treatment), Jackson’s reinforced Brigade (or Division but no one cared about semantics) struck at the forefront of Joubert’s southern march along the Thames. Hoping to avoid the worst of the British artillery and knowing that the river protected them against a cavalry flanking attack, Jackson’s Brigade smashed through the modest British pickets in less than fifteen minutes. Obviously seeing the danger, Prince Frederick dispatched a brigade of two thousand cavalry and a brigade of infantry to prevent the Columbians and Irish from turning HIS flank.

Finding his forces upon a long, narrow green adjacent the waterfront, Jackson swiftly ordered “Form squares!”

At once, the disjointed Regiments commenced consolidating into squares, the bayonets and musket barrels pointing outwards menacingly as the British cavalry impotently raced between the massed formations. The tactic was something of a risk as a determined and organized British infantry charge in support of the cavalry might find the Columbians incapable of effective defense. Fortunately, the British infantry preferred forming their own second line of defense instead. Unfortunately, this meant that the scattering of the British pickets accomplished little more than seizing a few hundred yards of riverfront property.

In short order, the frustrated British cavalry retreated, having taken significant casualties from the Columbian and Irish infantry taking potshots at the riders as they galloped past. Presently, General Joubert arrived with another French division and ordered the 82nd Foreign Detachment into line adjacent his own forces.

“That British defense will not hold!” Joubert announced dramatically to his staff officers. For his part, Jackson just rolled his eyes. There was a time for speeches, and this was not it. Now was the time for action.

Massing over ten thousand French, Columbian and Irish infantry (augmented by about five hundred cavalry in reserve), Joubert personally gave the order for his forces to charge.

Chapter 78
September 1808

Ireland

Ears burning from yet another rebuke by his commanding officer at the painfully slow progress the Army of Bordeaux made across Ireland, Colonel San Martin proceeded to tear into every officer in sight. The reputation of the Spanish Cavalry, the improvement of which San Martin had made his life's work, could charitably be described as leaving something to be desired. For years, that damned Prime Minister Godoy underfunded the Cavalry to such an extent that half the cavalry lacked horses and many of those in saddle discovered their animals completely inadequate to the task. Horses were expensive to maintain and replace and the bankrupt nation of Spain fared worse than most of Europe. The typical quality of officer was seldom better as Manuel de Godoy sold commissions by the dozen to the highest bidder to pocket the cash. Worse, promotions were entirely political. The inevitable result was indifferent, greedy officers commanding over sullen, starving, and half-naked cavalrymen lacking suitable mounts.

When San Martin took command of the 10th, Godoy had been too busy to properly exploit the new Regiment's officer corp. The Colonel had been able to recommend several officers he'd encountered over the years. Surprisingly, a few had even been appointed to his command. O'Day, among others, served well as cornets and senior Lieutenants against the Portuguese, French and British over the past decade. Granted, several were infantry officers, but their courage and industry commended them well enough to merit promotions to the more aristocratic cavalry. The predominance of Irish names hadn't batted an eye in the war department. For a century, Irishmen migrated to France and Spain by the thousands to seek employment in any army likely to battle the English. Most of these men were the sons and grandsons of Irish expatriates serving the King of Spain faithfully, usually taking Spanish wives. San Martin imagined the tough professionals reveled in the prospect of expelling George IV from their ancestral homeland. Certainly, Bernardo O'Higgins, whose father fled Ireland after English Protestants claimed his family lands, seemed to drink in the stunningly green countryside with wistful eyes. Every cheer by the shockingly ragged populace was music to his ears.

Unfortunately, the same countryside hindered their advance far more than the occasional appearance British patrols nervously keeping tabs on the approaching allied force. Only a handful of roads broke through the verdant grazing lands and the tiny, walled family plots where women tended to their potatoes. Ironically, San Martin learned these dismal thoroughfares had been constructed with the purpose of expediting the movement of British troops to suppress rebellions through the island. Of course, Marshal Ney hadn't accepted the underdeveloped roads as an excuse for their slow advance towards Dublin any more than San Martin listened to his men's whining about the late summer/early fall heat and unwelcome humidity.

The humiliated Spaniard could not find a suitable answer as to why his cavalry regiment somehow could not keep pace with the French infantry and, even more mortifyingly, the French baggage train. In his heart, despite his most earnest efforts to change the fact, San Martin accepted that the Spanish Army was irredeemably obsolete. Well prepared to fight the wars of the previous century, the organization simply failed when confronted by modern strategy and procedures. His years of virulent protests still hadn't resulted in the establishment of a viable commissariat. Exactly how the Spaniards of a hundred years ago fed their soldiers San Martin couldn't guess as the Spanish Army apparently didn't feel such an irrelevant resource was necessary today. He'd been forced to beg the French commissariat to tend to the Spaniards as well as their own men.

Witnessing the efficient French commissaries competently provisioning the army whilst still maintaining forward northeastern momentum left San Martin anxious that the modern world was leaving his country behind. He redoubled his efforts and ensured his subordinates did the same. Despite the endless delays and abortive starts, the Army of Bordeaux methodically picked its way across the Irish countryside towards the last British bastions of power in Ireland. Though no redcoat unit above a squadron challenged Ney's expedition, San Martin was certain that would soon change.

In two days, three at the most, the Army of Bordeaux would reach Dublin's city limits.

Chapter 79
October, 1808

Georgetown, Guadeloupe

Private James King of the 1st West Florida Cavalry settled back against a tree. Though he'd long since bored with his assignment, his picket duty outside of Georgetown (he wondered if that name would soon change) proved a great deal more pleasant than the previous four days during which he'd dug trenches on the cliffs above the town. Perched on a high ledge, the trio received a good view of the abundant life and vitality of the island.

No, he thought, standing around doing nothing is actually quite relaxing.

Under the fading twilight, he found the sprawl of masts bearing the Columbian flag in Georgetown Harbor quite lovely.

"Seem a bit young to be a general, you think?" inquired Jarvis Hayes, his pallor worryingly pale.

Though both King and Ben Hayes commented on it since their regiment's arrival on Guadeloupe, Hayes simply ascribed the discoloration to a touch of seasickness. After a month on land under the scorching Caribbean sun and oppressive heat, such a complexion should be impossible. However, when pressed Jarvis merely demurred and informed them both that he was fine. As he showed no signs of Malaria nor had there been a case of Yellow Fever, neither worried overly much at the time.

"I hear he was a Senator in Ohio 'fore the war. Guess he had connections. 'sides, he sure seem competent," responded his brother.

King grunted his agreement. In the few weeks since General William Henry Harrison set foot upon Guadeloupe's soil, he'd been a whirling dervish of activity. Taking command from General Hatfield (and relegating him to meaningless tasks), Harrison organized the logistics lines, reinforced the harbor by placing the dozens of British cannon scavenged from the captured ships of the line on high ground surrounding the town and trained soldiers in their use, improved the fortifications and negotiated a treaty with the liberated slaves and prisoners.

This last gave pause to a number of his officers. Harrison organized the training of the natives into a viable militia despite dissenting opinions that prisoners and Negros were hardly promising material. What's more, he extended a written invitation to the remaining inhabitants of Guadeloupe to join the United States of Columbia as full citizens if they so chose. Given that slaves and prisoners rarely were offered options, they swiftly formally applied for admission to the union.

"He does sure seem a politician. I was on guard outside the command tent when General Harrison explained to the officers what for," said King. "He said that the United States only holds this island because the twenty-thousand occupants approve. Now that they are armed, nothing in the world can put them back into chains. Says they'd fight to the death before submitting. They'd go back into the hills and mountains and woods."

"Awe, we could beat 'em," stated Ben.

Amused his brother countered, "With our three thousand men, we gonna conquer them all?"

Agreeing with Jarvis, King asked, "And what would we do if we they did surrender to us? Keep the regiment here forever to force them to work in the fields like slaves? No, Columbians stopped doing that around the time we were born, even to negros…well, maybe in Maryland, but no where else."

"So he offerin' to split up all that rich cane-growing land among the slaves?" argued Ben petulantly. "Why do that? Why not keep it to ourselves?"

Jarvis smirked and offered, "How's that different from what's happening in West Florida or Louisiana or Missoura? Governments bin giving land away for years if one had a mind to farm it. Land ain't worth a penny without no laborers. You planning on cutting cane upon your discharge, Ben? I'm sure you can find employment."

Seeing his point, his twin conceded, "No, sir, I ain't livin' in all this heat. I'm gonna find a nice cool northern town someday where it never git this hot. I hate this place worse'n Louisiana or West Florida."

"You see the point?" inquired King. "President Burr has it right. No one in his right mind would come here to work under this sun. If all those slaves and prisoners they freed weren't given the land, they'd hop the next ship to Columbia or I'm a damned Brit. Now, most will stay and cut cane for their own profit, Columbian controls and taxes it and, best of all, the Brits are gone."

Shrugging, Ben said, "Makes sense, I reckon."

Jarvis bent over as a coughing fit wracked his body. Waving off his brother kneeling at his side, Jarvis said, "Just a summer cold, not to worry."

King wondered if Jarvis believed that or if he simply wanted to alleviate Ben's worry. In his two years of army service, King witnessed the camp hospitals treating everything from a broken arm to malaria. In every one of them, there lay a section cordoned off from the sight of the other patients. Within those rooms rested men whose complexions mirrored the unnaturally pale and waxy features Jarvis now displayed. Each of those men served until their increasingly aching joints reached the point where any further movement was too painful to bear. Now longer useful as soldiers, they were left to sit in quiet rooms like ghosts until the inevitable pneumonia claimed their weakened bodies.

Though no one in the Regiment had noted it, King was sure that Jarvis contracted caught the African Death. He remembered Pastor Browne's dull sermons about how men fornicating with women who were not their wives would be punished even if the disease did not become apparent for years after. For all the trio's romps through the whorehouses of New Orleans, none had suffered anything more than toothmarks upon their manhoods (King always abided by the Doctor’s caution: “let them suck, don’t stick it in.”). But Jarvis frequently bragged of “pleasuring the girls”.

Now, King was glad he listed to the doctors. If Jarvis' pallor could be explained, certainly the sergeant would note the stiff gate soon enough. Though the disease could not spread through the regiment like Malaria, Yellow Fever or the Bleeding Death, surely Jarvis would be removed. More than one soldier had been beaten and ostracized by his mates fearful of catching the horrible disease. Though his fellow Tennessean had no intention of having sex with any of them, there was still too much superstition in army to tolerate Jarvis’ presence.

As night fell, King cast his eyes towards town. The relief watch would come soon and the trio could retire to the barracks for the night. King was quite certain, though, that this night's dreams would not be pleasant.

Chapter 80
October 1808

Windsor

Exploring the cavernous rooms of Windsor Castle, Andrew Jackson and his senior officers took the time to sample the best of the King’s wine cellar.

“Truly,” Henry Dearborn opined, sniffing his crystal goblet, “His Majesty’s taste in porte and sherry is exceptional.”

Colonel Seamus O’Rourke, the aged battle-hardened Irishman commanding the full Irish Brigade in French service now under Jackson’s command, turned up his nose, “No Englishman knows as much about wine as the common French peasant!” With a flourish, the Irishman threw the contents upon the visage of some ancient British Royal, one of the hundreds of paintings King George IV was unable to carry over in his flight from Windsor.

The previous week’s battle had been a close-run thing. On several occasions, the British Army had been able to repulse the French (and French-allied) attacks on the British defensive formation. However, enough punctures in the enemy line made the position untenable and, after two days of almost constant battle, the British Army retreated northwest of Windsor, ceding the seat of British power. By most accounts, George IV raced northwards as fast as his carriage could carry him (the King had long since grown to massive to mount a horse with any ease).

“God, look at that!” Colonel Richard Montgomery of 1st Regiment muttered. “I think this whole room is covered with gold leaf!”

The opulence…and self-indulgence…of Windsor Castle was staggering. Marshal Davout ordered over two hundred soldiers to strip anything of value – from gold leaf, paintings, furniture and the like – from the Castle (just as he did St. James Palace, Buckingham and the smoldering ruin of Kensington Palace) and shipped back to Emperor Napoleon. While George IV no doubt saved the prized portions of his collections, the British King left behind vast quantities of valuable goods including, it was discovered, a stash of Queen Caroline’s Jewelry in her Windsor apartments from which she’d been banned years ago.

The Columbians took as great a pleasure in defacing the British Crown property as the French…but not necessarily the Irish. Colonel O’Rourke took every opportunity to relieve himself upon various objects left throughout the Palace, including the throne and King George IV’s bed. The Irish were anything but subtle.

Finally determining to call it a day, Jackson led his officers from the rapidly stripped British Castle and back to his exhausted Brigade, now augmented by the Irish. Though beaten, the enemy retired in good order, inflicting as many casualties upon the French as they sustained.

However, the capital was now securely in the hands of the invaders and Marshal Davout already plotted his next objective: the source of Britain’s manufacturing might in the English Midlands. Once those factories and agricultural bounty was seized, the General was certain the British would beg for terms.

He hoped.

Chapter 81
October 1808

Watford, northwest of London

Lead by the 82nd Foreign Detachment (Jackson’s Brigade) and the French Irish Brigade, Marshal Davout’s army crept north in the face of almost constant partisan activity. Scarcely an hour passed without witnessing puffs of musket smoke emerge from the woods, troops of dragoons striking from remote fields or full ambushes upon the curving country lanes.

Plans to march upon the midlands were put on hold for a combination of shortages in key military supplies (like powder) and this ubiquitous partisan activity. With the native advantage in cavalry, Davout’s army struggled to land the decisive blow against the British Army (and militia) at both Kensington and Windsor. On each occasion, significant enemy cavalry prevented a collapse of British infantry.

Also plaguing the invaders was the requirement of leaving large quantities of manpower behind to deal with irregulars and maintain the supply line. Unlike Austria or Italy or Germany, where the defeat of the local army or the capture of the capital largely ended the conflict, the British civilians resisted in any manner possible including raids and sabotage. Scarcely a supply convoy travelled five miles without being struck by cavalry. No supply depot could be left attended by fewer than fifty men lest it mysteriously erupt in flames.

Still, General Davout, spurred by letters from the Emperor demanding to know why Great Britain had yet to surrender, plodded northwards through the manicured countryside of southern England towards the Midlands. Increasingly frustrated, Davout permitted ever more vindictive reprisals against civilians partisans.

Requiring no such encouragement, Andrew Jackson and the 82nd Foreign Detachment ardently threw themselves into the task. When a group of civilians in the district of Ealing were caught stockpiling weapons, the Columbian General burned a half dozen local towns – Acton, Greenford, Hanwell, Northolt, Perivale, Southall – to the ground right down to the last privy. Any victuals were immediately confiscated by the French army, which descended upon the countryside like locusts. Lacking any significant non-military supplies from the Continent, securing provisions similarly exhausted precious French manpower.

At the cutting edge of the French invasion, the 82nd led the army into Watford, a one-street market town northwest of London. Here, Jackson ordered his subordinates to “acquire” any victuals on hand. However, a fierce firefight emerged in the center of town. Jackson rushed forward experienced units, expecting to brush aside a few dozen partisans but swiftly discovered hundreds of partisans were backed by equal numbers of redcoats.

Like the Columbian, the enemy commander summoned reinforcements over the course of several hours until thousands of soldiers on either side traded volleys and took turns charging the enemy formation.

The Battle of Watford had begun.

Chapter 82
November, 1808

Off coast of Guadeloupe

Long after Guadeloupe faded into the horizon, Ben Hayes stared back towards the island, his thoughts on his brother. As much as it tormented his friend, James King could not find any words to comfort his friend. During the last medical inspection, the doctor noted the Jarvis' discoloration and promptly ordered the private to walk briskly across the room and perform a variety of movements. As the Tennessean winced in obvious pain, the doctor pulled him aside and delivered the news.

Though Jarvis must have known full well his fate, hearing the death sentence aloud made it real. His twin rushed to his side while the doctor left to make his report to the Captain. It had been a bad week for the Regiment. Two other soldiers were diagnosed with the African Death while a malaria outbreak swept through the camp. Ordered immediately from the barracks, the afflicted found themselves interned at in the various hospital tents segregated by illness. Though malaria claimed far more victims, at least some would endure and return to health. The African Death left no survivors.

Despite barely a shot being fired in anger, nearly a tenth of the regiment succumbed to disease. King overheard one of the doctors stating it was perhaps the lowest fatality rate in decades for any campaign in the Caribbean and a triumph of their sanitary procedures. This, however, brought few cheers among the common soldiers. Jarvis could not blame the tropics for his disease. The pleasures of New Orleans in the person of some whore signaled his doom. Maliciously, King hoped the woman was burning in hell already.

Days later, word spread that General Harrison ordered another expedition, this time, to the island of Martinique, an island nominally under control of King Louis XVI from his exile in Acadia but, in all reality, only the British Army and Royal Navy kept it out of French hands…and put down any slave or prisoner rebellions (the French King graciously allowing Great Britain to deliver Irish political prisoners and vagrants to work the pestilence-depopulated fields since 1792). Though the prospect of invading another squalid, disease infested swamp populated by slaves and prisoners normally would be unwelcome, King secretly was pleased to put Guadeloupe behind him. Watching Ben stand vigil over his increasingly immobile brother brought tears to King's eyes. Though ashamed by his own cowardice, King held no desire to further witness the Hayes brothers' pain.

After a tearful goodbye which all three knew would likely to be their last, James King and Ben Hayes boarded an ugly clipper with rotting floorboards and set sail north to Martinique. Though the weather was fair, the ghastly seasickness returned with a vengeance and King spent much of the two-day journey vomiting over the rail.

"God, I hate the sea," King repeated miserably to Ben.

Though the constant listing of the ship in the tides and wind was no less tormenting to Hayes, Ben didn't complain. He just continued to stand his vigil at the ship's stern, staring back towards his lost brother.

"I'm sure that the transport for Mobile will arrive in Guadeloupe soon, if it isn't there already." Offered King hopefully. "Jarvis will be much more comfortable in West Florida. The barracks are cleaner, the hospitals are better supplied."

"Of course, I'm sure you are right, James," Replied Ben automatically. Since the regiment's departure, he hadn't said more than ten words at any given time.

Giving up, King changed tactics, "Louis White says that Martinique doesn't have good defenses, like Guadeloupe did. No forts or anything. Shouldn't be too much trouble to take that island too."

Ben simply grunted his acknowledgement. Giving up King left his friend to his thoughts and navigated through the cluttered deck to return to his own bedroll. Though this ship held more space below decks including some honest to go hammocks, King had decided that he preferred the sun and fresh breezes of the deck than to the rancid odors below. Waiting for him was some of his other mates from the regiment. Ben Holden, Andy Gates and Louis White were grumbling over the hard biscuits they'd been provisioned with in Guadeloupe.

"Do the army really think we cans eats this for a full week?" asked White incredulously.

"Naw," Gates replied, "They'se think we can eat this for two weeks. Thats all we been given."

Seeing King's approach, Holden raised an eyebrow in inquiry. King just shook his head. Ben Hayes could not be consoled despite his mate's best efforts to raise his spirits. In the end, King imagined if it were his brother facing a slow death, his morale could hardly be improved either. And James was not ever remotely as close to his own brothers as Ben was to Jarvis.

"They did have some salt port and other provisions in the hold," interjected King. "But they are probably saving that as a reward for conquering the island."

"No victory, no food, eh?" Asked Holden mirthfully.

"Yeah, that sound like the army, all right." Grumbled Gates as he took another bite of the tooth-shattering biscuit. More than a few soldiers only half-jokingly voices concerns about infection from the cuts in the mouth from the hard tack.

As typical per the unspoken agreement, none of the soldiers had even mentioned Jarvis' name since his internship in the hospital. Once a soldier contracted the African Death, even to speak of him brought bad luck. It was a harsh tradition but King saw no reason in arguing the point. Besides, seeing Ben's obvious sorrow at the very mention of his brother pained King almost as deeply.

"Well," White began, "I reckon we see Martinique right away. Strange to see the place where ma mama was a youngin. And she never say a good word 'bout the place. She say our massa in Georgia was nicer and he was mean as a bea' in winter. She also say lots more people die here of whippin an' starvin'. Bad place to be, I think. Bad place to be."

"Well, I say we taught thems on Guadeloupe a lesson, we do the same on Martinique," Voiced Gates.

"Yeah, we'll see," responded King as he wondered if perhaps a good fight may revitalize Ben Hayes. "We'll see."

Last edited:
Chapter 83
November 1808

Watford

“Dammit!” Jackson cursed as he limped southwards from the battlefield. Only moments before, the fine white charger upon which he’d planned to lay waste to central English suffered a bullet through the eyeball, the beast dead before it hit the ground. Only chance prevented the tall General from suffering significant injury.

Immediately, a clutch of adjutants raced forward to the narrow rise upon which the General had been witnessing the contest for…whatever the hell this town was. Watford? Unfortunately, he’d also been making himself a delightful target for British partisans. As an aide offered his own mount to the General, Jackson limped forward and managed to alight the animal, ignoring the throbbing pain in his ankle which his now-dead horse nearly crushed in its death spasms.

“General Jackson!” his adjutant, Major Devereaux cried out in concern. “Are you well?!”

“Of course, Major!” Jackson snapped, embarrassed at being fretted over like a sickly child. “What of our reinforcements?!”

Still alarmed at the incident, the Frenchman managed to report calmly, “General Joubert is personally leading the 2nd and 4th Brigades to assist us, sir….and also our scouts report a formation of British regulars, several regiments at least, marching to the aid of the enemy.”

Jackson turned back towards the bitterly contested battle building ominously in this petty English market town.

Watford, Jackson thought incredulously. Perhaps today you will be remembered in posterity for the battle in which the British Empire was laid low.

Chapter 84
November 1808

Martinique

My dear Julia,

I write to you in hopes that this letter will reach you in good order. Since the mail delivery to West Florida is hardly efficient, I have taken to writing two letters, one to mail and one to hand deliver upon my return.

I do so because I feel the compelling need to let you know what I have been feeling from my long separation.

Your face comes to my dreams every night and my mind repeats our every conversation during the toils of the day. Though I remain proud to serve our country, I dearly wish that my enlistment had run out before the declaration of war and my continued service was made mandatory. I long for peace so, once again, I can hear your laughter.

I have written of the illness of my good friend, Jarvis Hayes. I pray that a swift ship carried him comfortably back to West Florida for his final days. His loss, though he has yet to pass to my knowledge, weighs heavily on my soul. His brother, Ben, remains inconsolable and I find I can do little to raise his spirits.

However, I do not wish to burden you with the troubles of others.

Our invasion of Martinique, that which concerned our officer's minds, ended in astonishing fashion as soon as it began. Sailing into the harbor of Port North (apparently so named after some British politician that ruled during our own War for Independence), we found no enemy fleet nor did the locals offer any resistance whatsoever.

I was privileged to be among the first to march into Port North with our officers. Not only did the British surrender immediately but were nearly overjoyed to encounter us. Over the past summer, the majority of the local garrison along with the entirety of the British Naval squadron based in Martinique had been recalled first to the Island of Jamaica (of which I know nothing) to suppress a rebellion, then back to Britain to defend their home country against the French invasion. Apparently, Great Britain is in dire straits and may well have been conquered by the time you receive this letter. I pray it is so as the end of the war would speed my way back to you.

The situation on Martinique baffled us. With the withdrawal of the garrison, the slaves and prisoners rioted and slaughtered every French or British plantation owner, the island is nominally the property of the King of France in Acadia but governed by Britain, they could lay hands on. I should point out that, even before the reduction of the garrison and naval force, nearly nine men out of ten throughout the island were in some sort of bondage. The remnants of the French and Britons fled into Port North as the furious slaves besieged the town.

Making the situation worse, the entire island was starving due to lack of trade. Much like Guadeloupe, Martinique producing virtually no food of its own. Sugarcane is the only crop. With Great Britain fighting for its life (and, I pray, failing), the little islands were left to fend for themselves.

Starving and surrounded by hostile prisoners and slaves bent on revenge, the local officials greeted General Harrison as a savior. They demanded protection of their property rights including, absurdly, that General Harrison help the British return their slaves and prisoners to the fields. When the General and Colonel O'Rourke, my old Captain had been promoted yet again to command the regiment, threatened to blow down the town walls and let the slaves in, the British and French promptly agreed to limit their demands to protection, transportation off the island to Columbia or some safe harbor and some food supplies which arrived upon some timely British trading ships. These vessels were promptly seized as prizes of war by our navy and the food confiscated.

The General then negotiated an armistice with the slaves and I was assigned to stand ready at the proceedings. Much like Guadeloupe, the slaves and prisoners formed some sort of government from the twenty thousand or so poor souls condemned to labor in the fields. Their leader was a negro named Bouchez whom even the whites obeyed. I was surprised that he spoke French instead of English. However, since this had been French territory at one point and I am given to understand that many of the negros on these islands still spoke the language of their unfortunate grandfathers.

Bouchez is a cunning man, I must say, Julia. As the British already surrendered, General Harrison didn't need to arm the natives like he did in Guadeloupe. Given the native people were starving, the General thought he could arrange a swift understanding without making promises. However, Bouchez refused to offer his peoples' loyalty without guarantees that the United States would be honor bound to preserve in any treaty with Britain. He feared that the United States would sell the people of the island back into slavery and forced labor.

So Bouchez haggled more tenaciously than your mother does with a client. Eventually, Harrison agreed to divide up the plantations on the island among the workers, to arm and train them, to provide adequate provisions and allow local government much like he agreed upon Guadeloupe. In the end, a treaty was signed which would guarantee a strong military force on Martinique even if every Columbian soldier were to withdraw. I pity the British soldiers who would try to retake this island.

I explored the island during various patrols. It is shaped like a potato with a mountainous north and flatter south. A lovely green canopy covers the island due to the chronically warm sun and frequent rainfall. I prefer the mountains as it gives relief to the devastating heat that lasts even this late in the season. Sometimes my boots, trousers and shirts are drenched within an hour of marching even in the loveliest sunshine.

I cannot describe the pitiful state of the natives. Bodies already being broken down by harsh labor, their poor victuals and brutal discipline leave many unable to work further. Such unfortunates are left to starve. However, upon the treaty, Bouchez and Colonel O'Rourke swiftly divided the island's plantations among the workers within weeks. The marked improvement in the spirits of the inhabitants was immediately obvious. Free of the whip and offered pay for their labors, the natives harvested the cane with alacrity. Traders swiftly arrived bearing desperately needed food and left (minus the British ones which were, of course, seized) with holds bulging with raw sugar and molasses. Certainly, the rum producers in New England will be well pleased.

They only problems, once the population had been fed, was the large number of natives seeking to leave the islands. The white men and women, mainly criminals and the families that followed them, often long to go to Columbia as returning to Great Britain is not possible. Even a large number of the negros wish to emigrate to the United States as they fear their own return to bondage should Great Britain prevail.

Recent news, as you may know better than I, has been quite good. My own state's native son, Andrew Jackson, continues to be victorious in the Emperor's armies. Our French allies still march north the length of Great Britain. Even the great city of London has fallen. I do not see how the war can continue any longer.

Other Columbian naval expeditions have raided Jamaica, Hispaniola and other islands with success. I understand that Hispaniola, a large Spanish and French island somewhere to the west, is in British hands but they only control a couple of port cities surrounded by hostile natives. I wonder if the British Empire will shortly be relegated to one of your history books.

Also, I understand that the British have raided numerous towns along the Columbian coast causing great damage. I am pleased that the British North American colonies in New York and the Vice-Royalties of the Carolinas have declared themselves neutral in the conflict. Without their aid, certainly the British cannot mount any serious attack on Columbian territory across the ocean whilst they battle the French at home.

Every day, I pray for your continued safety and that of your family in Mobile. I remain confident that no such raids will darken your shores.

Sadly, a number of men from my Regiment have fallen to an outbreak of Yellow Fever. The doctors feared such an event since launching from West Florida. It is our hope that no more Columbian soldiers die of these horrific tropical diseases.

May God protect you, my dear Julia.

Your James

I had thought Ireland will rise up in rebellion, now that a French army is invading not only Ireland but London as well. How will they send patrols when partisans must be ambushing them.

Chapter 85
November 1808

Watford

Andrew Jackson stalked among the ruins of the petty town of Watford. So similar to many rural villages in his native Tennessee (he was born in the Viceroyalty of North Carolina but never spoke of this), the Hertfordshire burg seemed an unlikely setting for a major battle. However, led by Jackson’s 82nd Foreign Detachment, the minor conflagration erupted into a pitched battle drawing in over seventy thousand soldiers.

The British Army withdrew, once again leaving the field to the invaders, but the battle proved inconclusive, leaving at least another six thousand dead and wound.

Fortunately, a French force under Kleber seized Reading and Oxford to the west even as the primary British Army retreated northwards to Luton, the next significant town between London and the Midlands.

Rather unfortunately, the moderate and dry Indian summer formally ended with a week of near constant rainfall bogging the roads and spoiling powder followed by a sudden drop in temperature. Southern England was suddenly covered in ice and the French commanders immediately sought to protect their soldiers from the elements.

Though Jackson assumed that the French Army would continue marching north throughout the winter, it appeared that Davout had other plans.

November 1808

Luton, England

Shivering under a makeshift tent of canvas, Private Cillian Welsh dabbed a wet cloth upon his wounded shin. Fortunately, the Irishman had only sustained a grazing shot which sliced left a long gash across the shin. It could have been worse. More than a few of Welsh’s mates fell to French bullets…or even Irish ones.

As the predominantly Irish 25th of Foot was finally transferred from Belfast to Liverpool in September, the Regiment took part in the hasty assemblage of British military force under Prince French, the commander of the forces. Thrown upon the front lines, the 25th, by cruel chance, engaged a group of Irish and Columbians at Watford…and suffered accordingly.

The Regiment thoroughly dispirited at firing upon fellow Irishmen, this turned to elation upon learning of the French invasion of the Emerald Isle.

Chapter 86
November 1808

Southeast Ireland

Despite the unseasonable cold striking Ireland, Marshal Ney refused to halt his advance upon Dublin. To halt would allow the British and Irish Protestant militias to regain control over the countryside and consolidate forces against the invaders.

“No,” the Marshal determined in his Council of War. “We march until the soles wear from our shoes or King George’s minions are expelled from this isle.”

Naturally, a series of cheers erupted…by the Irish present. The French and Spanish held little interest in marching in the snow.

Finally, along the road to Dublin, the first truly consolidated British resistance emerged to greet them. As thousands of Ireland’s defenders had been transferred to Britain, the Emerald Isle was denuded of British regulars. As the first waves of French and Spanish troops arrived in Cork, the magnitude of this error proved apparent as the ensuing general rebellion enveloped the island, forcing the British regulars and Protestant militias to spread out into the countryside suppressing the Catholic majority.

As Dublin lay sprawled under a series of hills, the city was effectively indefensible by land. And with the Catholic majority rioting with unfortunate frequency, withdrawing behind the obsolete city walls was not an option.

With four thousand British regulars and three thousand militia, the men of King George sought to defend the city along the road to Dublin. Gathering a vanguard of six thousand French and two thousand Spaniards, Marshal Ney also took advantage of thousands of Catholic Irish volunteers hastily assembled into loose battalions.

In a single cataclysmic battle unfolding among the hedgerows and stone fences, the British defenders arrayed in a defensive formation. Artillery was scarce and cavalry severely handicapped by the fragmented terrain.

This would be an infantry battle.

Unfortunately, the hedges also hindered infantry charges and the engagement descended into a series of indecisive volleys exchanged behind cover. Attempts to maneuver resulted in heavy casualties. The 10th Cadiz Chasseurs under San Martin were never even engaged.

Against any expectation, the Catholic irregulars’ repeated attacks along the flanks and upon the British supply columns eventually forced the British Commander, Viscount Gerard Lake, to retreat.

Unfortunately for the old General, his son Major George Augustus Lake fell in battle, having taken a ball to the chest by a partisan musket. His father, hated beyond measure throughout Ireland for his iron-fisted Martial Law regime in which torture, imprisonment without trial and mass “transportation” to West Indian sugar islands, would never see his son’s body. Identifying the scion of their oppressor, George Lake’s remains were violated and eventually thrown into the Irish Sea by jubilant Catholics.

Chapter 87
December 1808

Canton

Feet moving faster than they had in months, Nelson hurried toward the cry from above. Opening the door to the main deck, he shielded his eyes momentarily from the glare of the sun setting to the west and turned toward the ship’s bow. Refraining from joining his men’s cheers, though certainly sharing their delight, Nelson composed himself and looked with satisfaction at the long green shoreline now visible on the horizon. Though the ubiquitous junks had become a common sight over the past month, viewing the land itself made hammered in the reality that their long journey was almost over. As such, he allowed the relieved sailors a moment of joy.

“China, at last”, came a quiet voice behind him, “After the straits of Malacca, I was beginning to wonder if we would actually make it.”

“Not at all, General,” Nelson replied calmly, “the trip through the straits was remarkably easy given the time of year.”

Wesley’s low chuckle was all the response necessary. Dining together for eight months tended to break down barriers between men. Though not a seaman, Wesley was a seasoned traveler with voyages to North America and India under his belt. He knew well enough the storms battering the Royal Navy vessels as they entered the South China Sea nearly finished them on more than one occasion. Fortunately, the unexpected friendship that developed between the two reduced the strain of the mission.

“Still,” Nelson continued as Wesley moved to stand next to him, “it will be good to set foot on dry land again.”

Unsurprisingly, Wesley readily agreed. Despite having spent half his lifetime at sea, Nelson never truly developed proper sea legs. Though he would never divulge the embarrassing details of that weakness to his subordinates, Nelson felt comfortable enough about revealing that to his new friend.

“I have no idea on how the traders do this on a regular basis,” Wesley commented as he shaded his eyes under the hot equatorial sun. “Surely, too many such voyages must drive a man mad.”

“The sheer profitability of the trade must help them make do,” Nelson explained.

Wesley nodded absently and peered north into the distance as one of the lookouts trotted up, spyglass in hand. The rest of the men continued to dance and celebrate across the deck without any apparent regard for their commanding officers. Most likely this was because the officers were little less jubilant.

“Captain,” the rumpled sailor stated breathlessly, “Canton harbor is only a few miles north of our heading.”

A bit surprised at the pinpoint accuracy of his navigation, Nelson dismissed the man and looked again at the great landmass that lay before them. China existed in folklore as much as the real world. Legends of its wealth reached to every corner of the earth. Anything was possible for whichever nation could break China to its will. With a quick grin and nod toward Wesley, who quickly returned it, Nelson strode toward his officers. The time for celebration was over. It was time to accomplish their task.

Three days later:

Watching the Chinese bureaucrats embark from their small, boxy junk, Nelson could barely restrain his mirth. Though the flowing grey robes were reminiscent of Gregorian monks, it was queer pointed hats that seemed truly ridiculous. If the China experts and translators the naval ministry so fortuitously included on the mission were to be trusted, these men were eunuchs. For whatever ungodly reason, these heathen believed a man that would geld himself was more trustworthy with power. In a bizarre way, that made sense. Certainly, none would overthrow the government in hopes of siring a new dynasty.

As agreed before the fleet left England, Wesley would govern all political and strategic matters. Even without orders, his experience and temperament made him far better suited for the task than Nelson. In greeting their guests, Wesley chose to seat himself on deck behind the stylish, ornate desk he had brought with him from England and regularly adorned his office. Royal Marines in dress uniform lined the immaculately scrubbed deck on either side. As if unsure of their place, the Chinese emissaries remained standing rather than seat themselves across from him. Nelson wondered if the men normally used couches or some other furniture in a situation like this.

Ensconcing himself next to Wesley, Nelson nodded to the Chinese interpreter. As he issued few quick, chosen words to the ambassador, Nelson nodded imperceptibly to the gunnery Lieutenant. Almost on cue, a massive broadside went off, shaking the deck. The startled Chinese looked frantically around and huddled together as if to ward off attack. As the nervous looking interpreter made no more effort to speak, Nelson assumed he had informed them just before the salvo that it was meant to honor their presence. Nelson admired Wesley’s plan. From start to finish, the performance was meant to frighten and intimidate the Chinese with a show of British might. As the emissaries were obviously thrown off-guard, Wesley’s plan appeared to be working.

Gathering their wits, the eldest of the robed men stood forward and uttered a long barrage in his nonsensical language at the interpreter. Nelson noted with wariness, if not concern, that the young man, a Captain of a Chinese junk who learned the English language through frequent voyages to Britain’s Indian territories, seemed almost terrified of the collection of nearly fossilized bureaucrats. Nodding fervently at each word until the old eunuch, if he was so, finished speaking, the short, mustached Chinese presently turned toward Wesley with relief and, with a reasonable English accent, translated:

“His eminence, Wen Shian, Governor of this territory, servant of the glorious Qing Emperor, demands to know why you have entered holy Chinese territory without permission. He reminds you that the great port of Canton is not open to foreigners, much less to ships of war.”

Exuding no hint of anger at the lack of honorifics common to European statesmen, Wesley merely sat quietly until the Chinaman had finished, back ramrod straight in perfect military etiquette. Pausing to consider his response, Wesley presently steepled his fingers and leaned forward. In the most moderate tone, he replied:

“Please extend to his honor that this fleet most certainly does not appear at his doorstep without the most extensive respect and admiration of the Chinese people and their glorious Emperor. As a representative of the King of Great Britain and Ireland, I am here in the spirit of brotherhood in the hopes of bringing the British and Chinese peoples together in the most affectionate friendship.”

Settling back as the translator issued his statement, Nelson noticed Wesley barely blinked as he studied the Chinese reaction to his words. Though Nelson would never be a diplomat, he knew well that even the most imperceptible expressions or gestures can reveal to an enemy what one is thinking. However, he doubted that the expressionless masks on the faces of the Chinamen offered any secrets even to Wesley’s trained eye.

Replying at once, the old man said bluntly, “The glorious Emperor states that, in his infinite wisdom, no foreigner will henceforth trade in opium with China or be allowed to trade in any ports other than those he dictates. Your presence here in an affront to our glorious emperor’s wishes. You are ordered to remove yourselves from the area at once or be held as enemies.”

Once again, Wesley politely waited until the ancient bureaucrat finished speaking before formulating a response. From Nelson’s standpoint, the statement could elicit only one response. The war department had directed them to open up China to uninhibited trade. Nothing else mattered. If a lesson in power was necessary, Nelson would be happy to provide it to the stubborn Orientals. Once again, though, he left it to Wesley to speak. Raising somewhat dramatically to his full height, thereby dwarfing most of the Chinese, Wesley raised his voice slightly to express the firmness of his conviction and stated unequivocally,

“It is with utmost regret that I perceive his honor’s words as combative. Violence is far from my sire’s thoughts. We arrive with only the best interests of the Chinese people in our hearts and are saddened to hear that closer political and economic ties between the British and Chinese people’s is viewed as negative by the Chinese government.”

Now walking around the table to face the unbowed Chinamen, Wesley continued, “I have been ordered to aid in the Chinese people’s development and engagement with the world. If your words imply that his honor’s emperor is against such progress, then I will take direct action to defend the Chinese people’s rights and benefits of trade.” Pausing momentarily, he continued meaningfully, “This is not restricted to taking direct control of this port until his honor sees the sense in my words.”

As the interpreter conveyed these words, Wesley turned his back on the governor and stoically marched back around the table and gracefully sat down to await the man’s response. The months of sailing allowed both Nelson and Wesley to pour through all available data on Chinese military capability. Constantly putting down tribal insurrections in China’s West and North mandated a large army. However, it was spread out throughout the nation. More meaningfully, the weapons utilized by the Chinese Army were as antiquated as their navy. A battle between nations would almost be like fighting with modern muskets against the army of William the conqueror.

As Wesley’s words sank in, the old man glowered at the assemblage of British might around the room. For the first time losing his composure, the Chinese governor spat out a stream of vitriol which the translator rushed to convey as best he could, “The dragon will not bow to western dogs. Our empire has endured for thousands of years without the trash you wish our people to purchase and will do so long after you barbarians return to throwing spears at one another,” With a flourish, he gestured for his silent subordinates to follow him out. Turning one last time over his shoulder, he said, “Our glorious emperor has issued a personal demand that you leave his domain at once. Failure to do so will result in your deaths.”

Without bothering to get up or even to watch the man leave, Wesley called after him, “Perhaps you should actually receive your orders from your emperor before you speak in his name. His instruction might be different than you think.”

Stopping momentarily to await the translation, the old man turned and laughed as he stated, “These are his exact words when informed about your presence.”

Wryly, Wesley inquired, “How could he have received news of our visit in Peking? Do your horses move so fast that messengers can depart from Canton, reach Peking, and return in a single day?”

Almost as if deciding if Wesley were worth of response, Shian shrugged and said, “I sent a messenger to Peking for the emperor’s response when your other fleet arrived with the same demand a month ago.”

With that, the eunuch followed his men to the waiting launch and departed. For a long moment, the stunned British officers said nothing. Looking around the deck at the senior army and navy officers assembled as a show of intimidation, his gaze settled finally on Nelson.

Wesley bemusedly inquired, “What other fleet?”

Chapter 88
December 1808

Dublin

Amid the impromptu festivities, a lone figure trod silently through the raucous revelers of liberated Dublin. Though Irish by blood, Lieutenant Tone felt a stranger to the city of his birth. Rejoicing in their liberation from English domination, the citizens of the ancient Roman city expressed their pleasure in an orgy of drunken exultation which promised to last indefinitely. Two days prior, the Army of Bordeaux marched triumphantly through the city gates without firing a single shot. The ponderous Army's halting momentum east (slowed by lack of forage for the horses, incompetent commissaries among the Spanish and epidemics of Bleeding Death and Typhus) had been closely monitored by the retreating British cavalry but not opposed for the enemy's remaining Irish garrison was far too weak to contest Ney's advance to Ireland's largest city. Before the allied army even reached the city gates, Irish emissaries arrived by the thousand to announce that an insurrection had already unshackled Dublin from their former masters.

The French-educated Protestant officer swelled with pride as he swept into the city square behind his commanding officer, the bulk of the 10th Chasseurs following in a passable imitation of parade formation. Immediately, Tone's exhilaration turned to dismay as the devastation of the city became apparent. Predominantly Catholic, Dublin's residents rose in revolt against the despised British aristocracy ruling the city. Largely stripped of the redcoat regiments ensuring Irish obedience, the defenseless Protestant Ascendancy fled before enraged mobs, leaving a trail of torched Georgian mansions and looted shops and warehouses. The bodies of the loathed establishment figures, those too slow to escape, often hung from elegant oak trees or lay silent in alleys stripped of their valuables and boots.

The once-bustling Dublin bay, the lifeblood of the city, lay silent and still. Overturned carriages and carts gave testimony to Anglican citizens desperately fleeing the mobs in hopes of whisking their families and possessions away to the dubious safety of Belfast or Liverpool. However, the predominately Irish Catholic sailors manning those vessels refused to sail, stranding the panicked British loyalists in Dublin. Most fled north to Belfast by land but many suffered assault and arrest by the mobs of vengeful Celts. The Royal Navy, reduced to a minor squadron of schooners and frigates protecting the harbor, attempted to restore order by bombarding portions of the city. Captured Dublin cannon offered an inadequate defense by inexperienced catholic gunners. The "Battle of Dublin" ended upon the destruction of all immediately available targets (including the scuttling of every trading and fishing vessel they could not crew) and an order by the squadron commander to sail for Liverpool with news of the insurrection. The blackened, burnt-out hulks of proud sailing ships protruded from the once-pristine Bay like broken teeth. Tone wondered if the merrymakers realized the city's economy would take decades to recover from the destruction. Their future burned along with dozens of Union Jacks so enthusiastically incinerated.

And where will we go from here? The Lieutenant thought.

He gazed north towards Belfast, the last real bastion of British power in Ireland. There, the Scottish Presbyterian Whigs majority, similarly disaffected as the Catholics, watched wearily as an army of rabid rebels approached their homes and farms. Who would these Scots ally themselves with, the English devil they loathed or the destructive Irish Catholic juggernaut marching under a French Marshal?

To Tone's estimation, anything, even continued Anglican domination, would be preferable to the atrocities he'd witnessed these past few weeks. Protestant bodies, regardless of affiliation, littered the fields of Ireland as enraged Catholics repaid centuries of oppression and indignities with massacre. Anglican landlords of massive, confiscated plantations and their overseers were frequently hanged or beaten to death by their impoverished tenants. Irish "traitors", who sacrificed their faith in order to inherit the totality of their Catholic father's estate through the British designed "Protestant Ascendancy", were torn apart by their own brothers. Any remnant of the British regime, both good and ill, was left burning in the wake of a horde of crazed and vengeful Irishmen. Scottish Presbyterians, an obvious group with which to make common cause, looked on in horror.

Soon the Army of Bordeaux would depart Dublin with tens of thousands of poorly armed and barely controlled Irish Catholic volunteers in their wake. He shuddered at the inevitable violence of the final confrontation between Ireland and England, Protestant and Catholic.

Chapter 89
December 1808

Liverpool

Back aching from his labors, Valentin Joyce stretched until he heard the bones pop. Wearily he returned to his task after blowing upon his frozen hands. As Liverpool's carpenters and shipwrights strode mightily to repair the battered ships of the British Navy, idle sailors like Joyce and his mates were tasked with lowered skilled assignments such as caulking the hull of the frigate whose name escaped Joyce's mind. Ordered into drydock, the sturdy frigate received necessary repairs under the cold winter drizzle of Northern England.

Like so many of His Majesty's ships, the frigate had sustained damage with Britain's enemies. This one her wounds on the high seas outshore of Bermuda courtesy of a Columbian sloop. As most of the frigate's crew aided in her repair, Joyce had received a firsthand account of the battle. After noting the enemy ships at sail, probably tasked to raid what remained of British shipping, the Dolphin (that was the Frigate's name, Joyce suddenly remembered) attacked. Despite fierce resistance, the sloop struck her colors before her captain ordered the ship scuttled.

Victorious, though without a prize, the Dolphin returned to Bermuda only to discover that the island under assault by a full Columbian fleet.

"Ahh, you should have seen Santo Domingo, boys." said one of the Dolphin's regular crew as Joyce slapped another coat of caulk between the ship's timbers. "Beautiful women, good rum. Pity we never saw the rest of the country."

Nodding, another elaborated, "Only the city surrendered, not the entire island. Most of the inhabitants fled for the hills and the soldiers couldn't dislodge them."

Leaning towards Joyce, Simon Taylor muttered, "Not much left to the great British Empire, eh? I wonder if the Admiralty truly believed they could fight every power on Earth and still win."

As typical, the strapping blond youth didn't bother to moderate his words though the young idiot as least had the sense to lower his breath. Far too many failed to exhibit such common sense and paid the price for it on the whipping post. Though the French advance ground to a halt under the bitterly cold winter, the increasingly panicked government and military cracked down on any defeatism or dissent. Just a week ago, a starving mob of civilians demanding immediate peace talks were sabered down by cavalry. For once, Joyce understood. Emperor Napoleon was known for annihilating his enemies, not producing an amicable peace. If there was an opportunity for "Perfidious Albion", France's ancient and most persistent enemy to be brought low, he would not hesitate to expend every resource to finish it.

"Aye, boy, that's quite good," intoned a thick brogue behind Joyce and Taylor. The latter immediately stiffened and prayed the Scotsman had not overheard his comment. "I expect a true carpenter could nary do a better job."

Angus McFadden was a skilled shipwright assigned to manage the Dolphin's repairs and he took great delight in stamping out any dissent among the increasingly resentful sailors under his supervision. Said to be a wealthy landowner in Scotland, his loyalty to the King was a notable among the untitled gentry. In Joyce's experience, resentment remained throughout the northern land over the Highland Clearances where Jacobites were displaced in favor of English landlords. Rumors of impressment riots in Edinburg and Glasgow sent McFadden into fits of rage. Having seen the British system from below, Joyce understood on a level McFadden probably never could the depth of resentment among the British lower classes. This war laid bare the warts of the British system which normally remained hidden under the veil of prosperity and power. However, with Marshal Davout approaching, tepid Scottish support and Irish uprisings were least of George III's problems.

"Now, lads," McFadden continued as he looked upon the Dolphin with satisfaction, "I'd say she's a ready to hoist His Majesty's colors and give the Emperor a bloody nose. That's four more this week. Quite a record really."

Yelling for the work gang to assemble, McFadden directed to the sailors, "Each of you are to return to your own quarters. Your task is done today."

With a collective sigh of relief, the sailors rubbed their sore shoulders. Twelve-hour shifts had long since become the norm. Even a bedroll on a frozen dirt floor sounded good.

Smiling with pleasure, McFadden added, "The Gallant has also completed repairs, lads. Tomorrow, you return to duty. May God guide your hands."

With that, the Scotsman turned and stalked down the docks towards the next vessel rapidly returning to service.

"Well," said Michael Bates appearing at Joyce's side, "I guess its better than freezing our arses off repairing someone else's ship."

"Yes," replied Joyce, "Far better to freeze our arses off maintaining our own. Come on, let us see what fare our cooks have provided tonight."

Nodding, Bates joined the stampede for their quarters. In recent weeks, the weak stew commonly rarely lasted long and sailors returning late from their labors routinely received little but lukewarm broth.

Still, Joyce considered, at least they had something to eat. Far too many Britons had nothing.

Chapter 90
December 1808

Road from Dublin to Belfast

Jose de San Martin glanced back with apprehension as the ponderous bulk of the Army of Bordeaux managed to crawl forward another miserable mile down the mud-drenched road snaking north towards Belfast. Of the Army's original fifteen thousand French, Spanish and German soldiers, only nine thousand now trekked northward under the summer deluge pouring upon Ney's Army like the tears of God. The spritely spirit carrying the allies northward from Dublin had withered to a disgruntled dirge as ankles twisted in the muddy excuse for a road. Hastily appropriated teams of mules and oxen dragged forward the Army's pitifully small batteries of artillery while common carts carried provisions. Forage for such a large force became impossible to procure as the Irish country folk, in these areas predominately Anglican and Presbyterian rather than the Catholics of the west, engaged in the age-old wartime pursuit of secreting their food, hay and other necessities from the invaders. Snow repeatedly covered the picturesque fields, barren of farmers fleeing from the main roads with their families, lay ripe with bounty. Unfortunately, the “bounty” was now rotting potatoes never to be harvested. In what must have been the slowest campaign in the Spaniard's memory, the hundred miles between Dublin and Belfast gradually diminished as the exhausted soldiers approached their target.

Damn potatoes, San Martin thought of the Irish staple crop, Peasant food. They'll just leave them in the ground until the army marches past. Always better to advance through wheat country in the summer or fall.

The Spaniard would never have believed such a short distance would take so long to cover. First, their departure from Dublin was detained by a particularly virulent outbreak of bleeding death. Then, a pandemic of smallpox ravaged the twenty thousand Irish auxiliaries whom the British neglected to inoculate en mass over the past half-century. After spending two weeks attempting to contain the epidemic, Ney finally elected to leave the heavy majority in Dublin's squalid slums. Poorly armed (the French War Department evidentially lacked the foresight to add surplus weapons to the expedition with which to arm their new allies) and virtually impossible to discipline, the Irish slowed the advance from Cork to Dublin to a crawl as they consumed massive quantities of food and rampaged through the countryside preying on whomever they found. Only six thousand of the stouter men were chosen for armaments procured from fleeing British authorities, ailing French and Spanish soldiers and whatever could be scavenged from the countryside. The result was an ugly, motley collection of untrained militia. While Irish expatriate soldiers benefited Spain the past, acclimating to a soldier’s life took years. These men were little more than a mob, though a motivated one. Many thousands more trailed the procession uninvited bearing shotguns, knives, makeshift spears and whatever else they might lay their hands upon. San Martin feared setting them loose in a civilized city.

Nevertheless, Ney's effective army burgeoned to fifteen thousand regulars and Irish militia. Catholic spies trickling in from Belfast attested the Marshal’s force now dwarfed the remaining redcoat garrison in Belfast. San Martin didn't doubt the assertion given the steady reports French victories in southern England. However, the Loyalist Irish concerned the Spaniard more than the modest quantity of redcoats defending Belfast. The north of Ireland was the Protestant heartland, and their militia was sure to be better armed than the Catholic rabble accompanying the Army of Bordeaux. San Martin hoped the Scottish Presbyterians, who outnumbered the English Anglicans, would throw their lot in with the rebels. Unfortunately, the wanton destruction and violence by liberated Catholics did not distinguish between the two Protestant classes. In the euphoria over the Army of Bordeaux's virtually unopposed invasion and subsequent liberation of most of Ireland, the moderate voices of inclusion and reconciliation among the Catholic masses vanished in a haze of vengeance of the slights of the past, both real and perceived. There would be no further toleration of Protestant infection of the Emerald Isle, drunken Gaelic voices vowed. Ireland for the Irish!

Unfortunately, this ensured a steady stream of Scots-Irish Presbyterians entering the British militia as the protestant dissenters opted for the lesser of two evils. Despite a complete lack of reinforcement and resupply from England, centuries of domination in Ireland would not be surrendered easily by the proud vestiges of the British Army…and the terrified desperation of the Protestant Ascendancy. Ney's Army of Bordeaux could expect a bitter battle before raising the French banner in Belfast.

Chapter 91
Christmas Eve, 1808

Presidential Mansion, Philadelphia

President Aaron Burr raised a toast to his dinner guests. Though many longed for the familiarity of home at the holidays, few high-ranking government officials abandoned their posts during this time of war.

Elated with the news of conquest in the West Indies, the public remained largely supportive of the war…for now. Columbian attention was notoriously short and wartime taxation tolerated only so long. The Federalist stronghold of New England remained only sullenly acquiescent to the war…but the out-of-favor opposition clearly waited for an opportunity to strike at the ruling Democratic-Republicans.

But today, the President was pleased. Great Britain, facing invasion, left their West Indian territories bare of defenders, a fact the Columbian Army and Navy already exploited. The Royal Islands of New York as well as the Viceroyalties of North Carolina and South Carolina abandoned George IV without a moment’s hesitation, proving how shallow loyalty to the Crown truly was.

“My friends,” Burr intoned, gazing upon senior Cabinet members, high-ranking soldiers and close allies, “though we dearly hoped to avoid the necessity, Great Britain insisted upon pushing us towards this course. Now the arms of the United States of Columbia shall bring the former masters of these shores to task for Britain’s ill-considered and perfidious actions.”

Looking about at the somewhat doubtful faces of Nathan Hale and James Madison, Burr’s handsome features morphed into his remarkably confidence-instilling grin which convinced so many of his warranting office.

“Though unwelcome, this war shall be but the first step in delivering upon these shores a nation sure to take its place at the forefront of the world.”

“You must only maintain the faith but a while longer…and you shall see as I do.”