If the title's a bit vague, I'm sorry. But basically what I'm wondering, several people took a stab at the Netherlands governorate/leadership over the course of the latter half of the 16th century - Habsburg (legitimate and illegitimate, Austrian and Spanish), Valois, Farnese, Alba, the earl of Leicester, and not to mention there are quite a few local noble families. Yet somehow, the house of Nassau-Orange became the leader.

Now, I have 2 questions. The first one being, as above. Was there anyone besides Willem der Zwijger (William the Silent) who could've somehow ended up as ruler? Would they be ruling more or less than he did? Could they establish a lasting dynasty?

And question 2 is more of separate WI:
WI: Renatus of Nassau-Orange has legitimate male issue, No William the Silent?

Renatus, only son of Hendrik III of Nassau-Dillenburg and Claude de Châlons, inherited the title of Prince of Orange via his mother after Claude’s brother, Philibert, Prince of Orange died with no legitimate issue in 1530. Renatus married Anne of Lorraine but their only child, a daughter, Marie, died at the age of three weeks. And Renatus died at Saint Dizier in the same year. In Renatus’ will he specified that the title of ‘Prince of Orange’ was to pass to his Nassau cousin, Wilhelm of Nassau-Dillenburg (aka William the Silent), on condition that he tack the name of ‘Orange’ onto his surname of Nassau.

Now, Renatus had an illegitimate son (not sure when the boy was born), and he’d been married to Anne since 1540. So, what-if somewhere in the window between August 1540 (when he married Anne) and July 1544 (when he died), they were to have a surviving son? Obviously Marie could be born male and survive whatever killed her, or maybe the illegitimate son is born on the right side of the blanket.

It’s not a big change (at least, I don’t think it is, since the Principality of Orange was in the old kingdom of Arelate (Burgundy), and the cousin who became William the Silent married a Low Countries’ heiress in any case – Anna of Egmond, Countess of Buren, Leerdam and Lingen, but that could be because he inherited the title from Renatus or simply independent of it), but I thought it would be interesting to see what ramifications it might have.

Interesting question. The two main candidates are the Prince of Anjou or Dudley as they were send by France and England respectively to lead the Netherlands. Biggest problem was that they were idiots.

Interesting question. The two main candidates are the Prince of Anjou or Dudley as they were send by France and England respectively to lead the Netherlands. Biggest problem was that they were idiots.

Pretty much. So were there any other native candidates besides Willem de Zwijger?

Which is the main reason Willem van Oranje took effective control of the revolt. He had the brains both of them sorely lacked.

Pretty much. So were there any other native candidates besides Willem de Zwijger?

What you must realize is the Willem De Zwijger was pretty much the most powerful noble in the (northern) Netherlands given his lands but also his position on the court of Philip II and especially Charles V. ATL, is he on the Spanish side or simply doesn't exist? If it's the last than someone takes his power and/or lands.

When is the POD? Does it butterfly the executions of Egmond and Van Horne?

What you must realize is the Willem De Zwijger was pretty much the most powerful noble in the (northern) Netherlands given his lands but also his position on the court of Philip II and especially Charles V. ATL, is he on the Spanish side or simply doesn't exist? If it's the last than someone takes his power and/or lands.

When is the POD? Does it butterfly the executions of Egmond and Van Horne?

As to him not existing, I was wondering about the second WI I outlined (namely that Renatus of Nassau leaves a surviving son), would it remove Willem (given his marriage to Anna van Buuren) from the picture?
The reason I asked the question was that there were several people who took a stab at ruling the Netherlands, but none were really successful, which left Nassau kinda the ruler by default. So if he were to be killed in the war (before he winds up stadtholder (i.e. pre-1572), but after he's got a couple kids), would the power just devolve on another member of the Nassau family (as regent for the eldest son, he had enough brothers IIRC)? Or would there be no one to fill Willem's political vacuum?