And the band played on.

Fletch

Kicked
I couldn’t believe they let the press print the photographs. It was a monumentally stupid thing to do, especially as they had supposedly declared a state of emergency to calm the situation and the mood of the public after the IRA operation in Downing Street. Lang went public to state whilst he had no knowledge of how a photograph of the mangled corpse of the Prime Minister had appeared on the front page of the Sun it was worrying. When he stated that despite all that it showed “the barbarity of the IRA” it was terrifying.

Allegedly following the release of the pictures, and I only ever got confirmation of a public attack on the Church of Our Lady and St. Nicholas in Liverpool, which was broken up by the police, there were attacks on several catholic churches up and down Britain. Of course, despite protests, these attacks were never publicised due to the state of emergency. It seemed it would be a scary time to have an Irish accent on the island of Great Britain. In addition to which, the government were fanning the flames rather than douse them with water as they should.

Personally I was shocked as I never thought such horrible actions had any currency in England. It was as if Ian Paisley had won through.

In the first meeting of the Commons after the emergency was declared, I raised the issue of the photographs, to ask for an official enquiry, only to be shouted down as a traitor by government back-benchers as some form of traitor. Tapsell calling me a traitor of the standard of Oswald Mosley.

I cannot see a way to underscore how serious this situation is.

Tony Benn Diaries 10th February 1991

Fletch

Kicked
Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
To blow up the King and Parli'ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's providence he was catch’s,
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holla boys, Holla boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
And what should we do with him? Burn him!
Gerry Adams has been shot whilst speaking to RTE outside Belmarsh, where the accused of the murder of the British cabinet are being held. We understand the Loyalist terrorist, Billy Wright has been arrested. We will provide further news when it becomes available….

11th February 1991. 9:07am. BBC Newsflash.

Last edited:
I'm guessing soon there'll be calls for a reinstatement of the death penalty from the U.K?

Wonder how the international reaction is though I imagine it would be 99% condemning the IRA bombing except for a few pariah states.

Oh no, Gerry Adams is gone. How will we ever survive without his love for the IRA bombings?:rolleyes:

Getting better, And poor Gerry Adams finally got what he deserved:D

NoOneFamous

While I agree you're probably totally accurate here I fear that the reaction could get out of hand. There is a tendency for extreme minority groups to seek to prompt a reaction from their opponents in the belief it would in turn generate in the group they claim to represent a counter-reaction that will achieve their expressed aims. Such actions often generate a power reaction from the authorities of the states under attack. The counter-reaction generally doesn't occur or is swamped. Which tends to leave authoritarian states with a hostility towards dissent.

Since it sounds like the governments playing the IRA game in seeking to prompt reaction against the initial atrocity this could get very grim for everybody, not just the Irish extremists.:(

Steve

I'm guessing soon there'll be calls for a reinstatement of the death penalty from the U.K?

Wonder how the international reaction is though I imagine it would be 99% condemning the IRA bombing except for a few pariah states.

Oh no, Gerry Adams is gone. How will we ever survive without his love for the IRA bombings?:rolleyes:
Given that the penalty for high treason in 1991 was still death, it's somewhat possible that the arrested men could be hanged - as far as I know 'high treason' covers Ministers of the Crown as well as the monarch herself.

Ian Lang was actually my MP until 1997 (although I was far too young to remember him) so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Well, the guys behind the whole thing are arrested. Who was Jerry Adams, and what's with the Gunpowder Plot references?

Gerry Adams was some arse who never condemned IRA bombings and acted like they were a bunch of saints but still got into Irish Parliament through sheer luck and constantly being being a dick. Still Ian Paisley was some nutter who wanted to butcher the Catholics so don't say the Unionists were squeaky clean.

Fletch

Kicked
Well, the guys behind the whole thing are arrested. Who was Jerry Adams, and what's with the Gunpowder Plot references?
It was an IRA assasination attempt. Gerry Adams was/is head of Sinn Fein, the political wing of the IRA. The guys were not some lone nutters and in Britain at least you do not pick Mortars up in your local hardware store. He was performing an interview with Irish TV outside the maximum security prison in which they were held and was consequently murdered by a leading Loyalist Paramilitary leader.

Britain is at war in the Gulf, so the majority of the British Army is abroad and almost the entire British Cabinet was murdered/seriously injured by a terrorist group. The state of emergency has sommit to do with that combination of factors.

Also, whilst I was writing the third entry (Tony Benns diary entry), it struck me that this is basically what the Gunpowder plotters were aiming for, to wipe out the governmnent. It is in effect a modern day succesful version of the gunpowder plot. Hence the reference.

Last edited:
There were a few other eyebrow raisers, such as the return of Lamont, albiet only for a limited time and of Willie Whitelaw and Cecil Parkinson.

Your cabinet list doesn't include Norman Lamont (who was blown to bits). I assume you mean Nigel Lawson (and yes, I often used to confuse the two as well).

Also - Subscribed. Please continue.

Fletch

Kicked
Conversation recorded by the CIA inside Clarence House. 6pm 12/02/1991

A: How long do you think it’ll take?
B: Not long, we have the Intel in place, it just depends on the Prime Minister..
A: Don’t worry about him. I think he’s in a state of shock after the attack. If we feed him more of the possibilities, he will be on board.
B: Bloody disgrace, if you’ll pardon the language. All these people. Murdered.
A: Quite. Which is why we are doing the right thing. For too long we’ve been on the decline as a power, this just shows how far. These evil paddies will pay. It will be the turn..(interrupted)
B: It had better be.
C: Will any of this come back?
B: No, your Highness, there is nothing connecting any of us. It’s word of mouth.
C: If it ends the terror, and brings back the peace of the state, then it must be for the good.
A: You are showing all the signs of being your uncles nephew.​

Conversation recorded by the CIA inside Clarence House. 6pm 12/02/1991

A: How long do you think it’ll take?
B: Not long, we have the Intel in place, it just depends on the Prime Minister..
A: Don’t worry about him. I think he’s in a state of shock after the attack. If we feed him more of the possibilities, he will be on board.
B: Bloody disgrace, if you’ll pardon the language. All these people. Murdered.
A: Quite. Which is why we are doing the right thing. For too long we’ve been on the decline as a power, this just shows how far. These evil paddies will pay. It will be the turn..(interrupted)
B: It had better be.
C: Will any of this come back?
B: No, your Highness, there is nothing connecting any of us. It’s word of mouth.
C: If it ends the terror, and brings back the peace of the state, then it must be for the good.
A: You are showing all the signs of being your uncles nephew.​

That better not get out.