So if the Crusaders pursue a similar policy could they Christianize the Maghreb?
Personally I think that that's very possible, thats why I think christianising the Maghreb is very possible, even if a few Muslims are left.
How did they Islamize so fast?
In discussing the potential (re)Christianisation of the Maghreb, I believe it's necessary too understand the Islamisation process beforehand.

The Islamisation process of the Maghreb may have been relatively quick in comparison to Egypt and the Levant, yet was certainty not without its fair share of resistance. Akin to most areas of the Caliphate, much of the Berber populace initially retained their adherence to -re-Islamic traditions: folk religion, Judaism and the blend of Christianity which had governed relations with the Byzantines for the previous 150 years. The process of conversion was complex defined by both intense cooperation and instances of significant violence between the Berbers and ruling Arab elite. Ironically, many of the early converts to Islam amongst the Berbers where individuals of the likes of Kusayla, who would accept Islam and then lead a revolt against Muslim armies.

Nevertheless, the military proved to be fertile base for local conversion. According to the tale of Kahina, a Christian Chieftaness who lead a Berber coalition against the Arabs, she commended her two sons to the victorious Arabo-Muslim general Hasan b. al-Nuʿman. These children where then duly received into the armies their mother had fought against, along with 12,000 of their warriors. Although perhaps a legend, it is indicative of the extensive recruitment of Berbers into the army. Motivated particularly as a means of securing booty from Iberia, these recruits perceived the acceptance of Islam as a condition of allying with the Arab ruling elite rather than as a form of subjugation.

Moreover, the process of conversion was aided significantly by the proliferation of Islamified cities and urban centres. Despite the fact that the adverse effects of Islamic conquest on cities such as Carthage have been largely exaggerated, Muslim rule cemented a significant shift in local dynamics. Across the littoral, numerous classical cities where revived, while new urban centre's expanded. Urban life in North Africa was effectively revitalised under an Islamic vision, the foundation of various cities such as Kairouan and Tunis (essentially Islamised version of the old Roman cities) meant that the Mosque was established as the central meeting place rather then the Roman model of temples and law courts surrounded by markets and baths. Non-Muslim Berbers would be incentivised to adhere to Islamic law in order to gain access to economic opportunities. Rural populations would be exposed to Islam as little capitals centred on the mosque, the market and the castle would proliferate across trade routes becoming poles of economic and political attraction during the 8th and 9th Century. Simultaneously, those same populations were recruited into the armies or into the military service.

It has been argued that subtle similarities between the Arab elite and rural Berber communities allowed for a fostered acculturation between the groups, potentially stimulating the growth of Islam. Indeed, Islam would emerge as the nexus of Berber/Maghrebi identity. The Arab-centric connotations once associated with the faith quickly eroded with local communities adapting Islam, the Arabic language and the blood lineage of Arabs they intermarried with, as well as Arab notions of identity and authority, to their own social and cultural sphere, as a means of counteracting the Arab supremacism propagated by the Caliphate. The heavy syncretism of the early years meant that conversion appeared and was indeed superficial in many areas, particularly with continued practise of non-Islamic traditions and emergence of groups such as the Barghawata which adapted Islam under a highly unorthodox Berber interpretation. The development of such groupings serves as a testament to the local population exerting influence and co-opting Islam under their own terms, a heretical yet integral part of the Islamisation process.

The arrival of Kharijite missionaries, who ascribed to the belief that only the best Muslim was entitled to lead the community of the faithful, irrespective of race, further solidified Islam in North Africa. Under Umayyad rule, the Berbers where categorized as booty regardless of faith. Arab supremacist policies consistently made no distinction between Muslim and non-Muslim Berbers in their discriminatory approach, proving to be deeply alienating. Consequently, the Maghreb became fertile ground for Kharijism, with its ideological tenants heavily appealing to many Berbers due to their opposition to the Caliphate and the radical egalitarianism for all Muslims regardless of ethnicity advocated. This effectively shed Islam from being perceived purely as the faith of the Arab conquerors, rather it became a source of liberation with the explicit puritanicalism of the Kharijite movement. The Berber Revolt, dominated by Ibadite/Kharijite revolutionaries, resulted in the collapse of Caliphal rule of North Africa. Moreover, it would result in the establishment of the Rustamid polity by Kharijite leaders, which flourished economically, becoming an indication of Islam's economic value as a mercantile creed

Islam, rather then Christianity, would thus became accepted by the Berbers as a principle of authority for leadership and for state formation. Although far from nationalistic, a sense of Muslim Berber nationhood would emerge, continued by later polities such as the Fatimids, Al-Murabitin and Al-Muwahadeen. Such a sentiment was a direct consequence of the proliferation of Islamised urban centres, economic incentive through the military and these aforementioned urban centres, and ultimately the divorce of Islam from solely an Arab identity through a variety of means. Islam's primacy was established as the Berbers adopted and adapted it and the Arabic language as of counterreaction. It was not so much Caliphal policy that triggered Islamisation, rather in part a reaction towards it.

This prompts the question on whether the Crusaders could emulate such a process, yet instead with Christianity. My own impression would be not necessarily, although this certainty does not rule out a potential process of Christianisation. The circumstances which the Crusaders could inherit would be rather different to those of the Islamic conquerors. Although Christianity had been dominant in the region on the eve of the Islamic conquests, the sense of identity established during Islamisation amongst the Berbers simply did not develop. Islam remained pre-eminent within the Maghreb as these sentiments of Muslim Berber nationhood remained feverously expressed in movements such as the Almohads/Al-Muwahadeen (notably contemporaries of the current Crusaders ATL and an indication of the persistence of such belief).. Indeed, the nature of identity had further shifted, particularly with the process of Arabisation. The initial arrival of the Muslim armies in the 7-8th Century marked a significant disparity between the Arab ruling elite and local Berber populace. These fissures became increasingly less prevalent as the two identities entered flux with certain Berbers claiming Arab lineage as a means of asserting legitimacy and counter reacting Arab disparagement of Berber culture, along with a larger process of Arabisation of the hinterlands. The increased focus on Arabity, particularly through claiming relation to the Prophet PBUH, simultaneously re-inforced the role of Islam.

Furthermore, the potential Crusader States would have little to no base to develop this new Christian community. Unlike the Levant, in which many areas of the countryside remained majority Christian up to the 15th Century, the indigenous Christian community of North Africa had been essentially reduced to a residual isolated communities by the 12th Century. Akin to Norman Rule, Crusader incursions will most certainty have a revitalizing effect. Nevertheless its unlikely the indigenous community would be able to proliferate its influence much further then the areas they had a pre-existing role in prior to the Crusades.

A particular strata of the Arabo-Berber community will convert under the assumption that Crusader polities establish a longetive presence (which becomes a whole different matter of discussion), particularly in terms of social advancement. The military could prove to be an avenue towards conversion, although recruitment may prove increasingly difficult as nomadic mercenaries (who tended to be fiercely Muslim) tended to be some of the most significant forces in the political environment. Whether or not the Crusader-states will be able to match the cultural ramifications of the Islamification of urban centres, remains rather ambiguous at such an early point.

Whether or not the Crusader-states will be able to match the cultural ramifications of the Islamification of urban centres, remains rather ambiguous at such an early point.
Would the loss of Egypt re-energize the more rigorist/militant brand of energy the Almohads have championed, and would this be an avenue to increasing the longevity of the caliphate past otl?

Another question is what becomes of the Almohads/Morocco in general in a timeline where they see themselves surrounded by expansionistic, zealous Crusader kingdoms.

I do not think they will be conquered by Christians, first of all. Morocco is large and potent enough on its own to survive, and its terrain heavily favors the defender, as seen in the OTL disastrous attempts by the Iberians to conquer it. Moreover, even if the Normans or whoever conquer the rest of the Maghreb it will be a very tenuous control, with Muslim raiders almost certainly dominating the hinterland, and Morocco can readily support those raiders to make life hell for that state and make it harder for them to support a Moroccan invasion. Hell, at this point in time al-Andalus is still a factor.

However, collapsing trade with the East is a major threat. In time Morocco will wither on the vine if trade and social networks collapse thanks to Christian conquest and, presumably, piracy of Moroccan trade through the Med.

My bet is that this will force Morocco to play the diplomatic game. They’ll have to make nice with Christian powers, probably playing some off of others to survive, maybe even do weird stuff like royal marriages. I mean, Trebizond did it historically, why couldn’t Morocco?

And if Morocco needs alternate routes of trade besides Europe, in the long run there’s always those mysterious continents to the west…

I know this is supposed to be a Crusade-centric TL but I would love to see how Europe has functioned since the crusaders were more successful. I'd like to hear about what's going on in England, Eleanor of Aquitaine, the Holy Roman Empire, the Italian city-states, Spain, the Balkans, and the Plantagenets.

Also I have to wonder if the Montforts will get as involved in English politics as they did OTL. The rivalry between Simon de Montfort and Henry III of England is legendary.

Last edited:
Would the loss of Egypt re-energize the more rigorist/militant brand of energy the Almohads have championed, and would this be an avenue to increasing the longevity of the caliphate past otl?
It most certainty is a possibility. Religious rhetoric, particularly calling for Jihad, was often utilised by local polities in the Maghreb to marshal and bolster support for military campaigns. These conflicts were often not purely ideological/religious with the usage of religious rhetoric being opportunistic, only applied when it suited the interest of its rulers. Nevertheless, traditions of opportunistic holy war remained persistent in the Mediaeval period, proving to be very successful in attaining support in conflict.

With the inevitable fall of Egypt and likely collapse of Al-Andalus, the Maghreb will find itself increasingly encroached by the Dar Al-Harb (abode of War). Mediaeval Jurists of the Maliki school of fiqh (the dominant school for Islamic legal thought in North Africa) asserted that Muslims should not live in places governed by Non-Muslims/Dar al-Harb unless absolutely necessary and that Muslims should endeavour to either leave or revolt if they are able. OTL Maliki legal arguments and a tradition of opportunistic holy war fuelled widespread revolts against Norman rule of the littoral. The emergent mentality triggered widespread militancy amongst the local populace.

While the Al-Muwahadeen/Almohad were indeed very divisive, their puritanical doctrine was not totally unpopular. Support for their ideological rigorism did exist, particularly due to the sense of Muslim (Arabo-)Berber/Maghrebi nationhood they eschewed. A compound of such factors, coupled with a siege mentality likely to the occur as Iberia and Egypt fall, could create the political conditions which would stimulate the growth and support of militant rigorists in the Maghreb.

They’ll have to make nice with Christian powers, probably playing some off of others to survive, maybe even do weird stuff like royal marriages. I mean, Trebizond did it historically, why couldn’t Morocco?
An interesting possibility. Under Shar'ia, Muslim men are permitted to marry non-Muslim women provided the latter are considered "People of the Book." We could see Royal marriages between Maghrebi Emirs and Crusader/European princesses. I believe such a tradition was practiced in Al-Andalus.

Last edited:
Here I'll reply to the posts starting from #2,817.

@St. Just - the world is changing...

@DanMcCollum (#2,818) - Ohhhh, now I understood the reference! Its close to what happened OTL when King Amalric established a protectorate of sorts over Egypt.

@Quinkana (#2,819) - I agree its an interesting idea, but its not really in my plans to see this going through. I think it would deviate too much from what I've planned, and, in fact, brings the problem that we won't be always focusing in Byzantium to see how this will develop.

@St. Just (#2,820) - Agreed! I also tend to think that, in the long run, non-assimilated Muslim Turks will be outright expelled, and I'm not sure about how many of this demographic group will convert. The idea of Turcopoles as pseudo-Cossacks is a fascinating one. And the Byzantine government will indeed be keen in dissipating them as a demographic unit. As you mentioned, they did it various times previously, as did the ancient Romans with the foederati.

About the contact between the Crusaders and the Indian Christians (#2,822 onward) @TickTock The Witch's Dead @DanMcCollum - Yes, this will certainly happen. It likely won't happen from the start, because, AFAIK, the St. Thomas Christians are fairly insular and Kerala is not the first place you'll usually disembark coming from the western side of the Indian Ocean. While there's a lot to discuss, I can think about two broad consequences of this contact:
1) Regarding religion, its another "lost" Christian denomination that will be "found" by the Catholics and by western Christendom as a whole. There will likely be theological issues to discuss, and instances of cultural alienness, but overall, the contact will be beneficial because it will allow for a greater integration between the Christian denominations.
2) Regarding economic activities, it will be of fundamental importance for the Latins to have more friendly Christian allies and supporters in India to sustain commercial ventures to the Indian Subcontinent - instead of them depending on likely more hostile Islamic, Hindu or Buddhist states around - meaning that the European presence in India will be a given at least since the later part of the High Middle Ages.
Beyond that, there's nothing more useful I can add.

I agree with Dan in regards to piracy in the Red Sea. It ought to have been endemic to the region, but, with the collapse of the Fatimid Caliphate and with the bloody implantation of a mostly hostile Christian power, it will likely grow, not in the least because some disgruntled elements of the former Shia regime will turn to piracy - now with a friendly base in Aden. On the other hand, the Italians, Flemings and other merchant-minded groups will think its very much worth the risk of facing piratical attacks the profits of the Indian commerce. Curiously enough, its conceivable that, by the late 14th C.C.E., perhaps, the Red Sea becomes even busier in regards to naval warfare than the Mediterranean itself.

Moreover, as you mentioned in #2,829, the Prester John legend is becoming popular exactly in this period (the original supposed "letter of Prester John" is addressed to Manuel Komnenos, so it was allegedly from the middle to late 12th C.C.E.), and I intend to explore how this fable will impact in the POV of the Crusader explorers, even more so after they encounter the East African and Indian Christian communities. We'll see how this will unfold.

#2,826 et al - The Nubians are not exactly pushovers, so I think that while we might see Fatimid remnants in Upper Egypt attempting to carve to themselves a successor state in Nubia, their chances are not really better than that of any prospective conquerors of the region. On the other hand, the Crusaders will from the very start of the Egyptian rule actively seek the acquaintance and likely alliance with the Coptic states in the Upper Nile - Nubia and Makuria more likely, and also Ethiopia, even though the Ethiopians due to the sheer distances will be less relevant.

@St. Just (#2,831) - Excellent analysis. I agree with all the words. The Ethiopians are certainly proud of their heritage, but it must be considered that, religious peculiarities aside, they are interested in preserving a political friendship with whatever Frankish king becomes established in Egypt. Also, interesting thoughts about the Mongols and the survival of Nestoriasm. I intend to delve about the Nestorians in separate installments, I think the extent of their expansion is worth being addressed in detail.

@Al-Za’im (#2,832) - Great question. I've been thinking about this for a long time indeed, ever since my original concept for the TL. With the fall of Palestine, Syria and Egypt to Christian states who are not only hostile, but drive their whole POV around the idea of religious warfare, this will certainly have a large impact over the self-image of the Islamic world, whose cultural, economic and religious core will become firmly established in Mesopotamia and Persia, with Arabia still being fairly provincial and ancillary in this regard. To be fair, it was an historical trend ever since the rise of the Abbasids, but what will change, after the Crusades and especially after the alt-Mongol invasions, is the perception of the Islamic world. A more pessimistic philosophical perspective might arise among the Muslim intelligentsia, especially in Persia and in Iraq, not unlike how the Romans saw the collapse of the WRE to the barbarian kingdoms. They will question themselves: how come the ummah could have been eroded and destroyed by this various barbarian nations, from the Turks to the Franks to the Mongols? And likely this will inspire either religiously-guided reforms or revolutions in Islamic polities to cope with these changes.
On the other hand, the western Christian world will gradually re-orient its own ideology to see the Crusades not only as holy wars, but also as a grand-scale "Reconquest" of the ancient "Christian [Roman] Empire".
Its a complex concept that I want to develop and explore better in the future, but the general idea is that the Latins, in the wake of various successful Crusades, will likely see the Mediterranean basin in the same vein of the Roman "mare nostrum", but repurposed as a Catholic Christian dominion.​

As for the discussion about a possible Christian Maghreb @Al-Za’im @Gabrielico @Quinkana @Reyne @Icedaemon @Orisha91, I think the debate has been thorough and detailed, I don't think I can really add anything more after this. In any case, I'll give my two cents, stressing that this is far from canon.

As I see it, Egypt and perhaps Tunisia, due to their geographic situation, are more likely to see a long-lasting Frankish presence over the course of the centuries. The rest of the Maghreb, not so much, even though the Crusadist spirit will certainly motivate attempts of military conquest by the Mediterranean-focused powers, such as the Iberian kingdoms, the Provençals (Occitans), Sicily and the Italian republics - here more likely Genoa and Pisa due to their position in the Tyrrhenian Sea. Morocco IOTL was impossible to conquer by the Spanish, and there was no lasting presence beyond a few coastal harbors such as Oran. ITTL, the circumstances are not liable to be very different. Perhaps we can see one more resourceful Christian power establish a military dominion over the thin stretch of the Mediterranean coastline, north of the Atlas Mountains, mirroring the Roman Empire, in Morocco and in Algeria. Beyond that, I don't think the variables are in favor of these expansionist Crusaders. I'm not convinced of the argument that the Berbers would be keen on converting. On the contrary, I think that, if the entrance of the European powers in the Maghreb occurs violently, religion will be an element to strengthen resistance.

I exceptioned Tunisia because I figure that its proximity to Italy and the fact that the Crusaders can project military power through the urban centers such as Tunis, Kairouan and Mahdia can make it more pliable to Frankish rule. It will hardly be a peaceful one, though.

Beyond that, I think its worthwhile to discuss the consequences of a Maghreb that, while Islamic, remains politically and culturally isolated from the rest of the Islamic world. This was a trend that began even before the ascent of the Almoravids, and will undoubtedly be continued by the Almohads and the successor states. I think their sheer influence will produce the same pattern of religious conversion in relation to the Sahel states, such as Mali and Kanem-Bornu.

And although I'm not ready to talk about the Americas yet, I think its interesting to conceive the possibility of having the Iberian powers deciding its worthwhile to explore the coast of West Africa to tap in the Saharan gold and slave commerce, using the sea lane instead of the Berber-dominated Sahara route.

Also, I must render a much deserved compliment to @Al-Za’im's posts in #2,862 and #2,866, which were very comprehensive and thorough.

@Orisha91 (#2,863) - The fate of the Almohad Caliphate will be addressed in detail in the Act VII of the TL. But, to give you a more specific answer: in my planning for the TL, the Almohads will fall roughly in the same timeframe as OTL, albeit in very different circumstances. The Iberian Reconquista will finish much quicker than it historically did, not in the least because the Fourth Crusade will be directed to al-Andalus. But let's not get ahead!

@TickTock The Witch's Dead (#2,865) - Its also a concern of mine to explore better the world beyond the Outremer. I considered creating a separate thread for this, so that in the "main thread" we can focus in the narrative part of the TL itself, and then in the other thread we can discuss separately, and each installment would be focused in a country, a character or an event. Still not sure about the best format, however.

The Plantagenets won't exist like IOTL, at least not beyond Anjou. The same for the Montforts, which are now entirely based in the Outremer. The remnant of the Montforts will stay only in France, and they are unlikely to get lands in England (AFAIK, they did so by marriage, which won't happen ITTL).

Knowing that the Plantagenets won’t get power in England, I don’t think we’ll ever see a Magna Carta come anytime soon. So without the English model of parliamentary governance, which country will serve as an alternate model?

And will England still be involved in seizing French lands? I assume it still has some control over Normandy still.

I exceptioned Tunisia because I figure that its proximity to Italy and the fact that the Crusaders can project military power through the urban centers such as Tunis, Kairouan and Mahdia can make it more pliable to Frankish rule. It will hardly be a peaceful one, though.
Urban centres on the Ifriqiyan littoral could most certainty fall under Frankish rule, the interior/hinterlands (in which nomadic and local forces exerted control) less likely, although certainty easier then the interior eastwards. At this point, the nexus of authority in Ifrqiya had transitioned firmly to coastal cities, such as Tunis, Tripoli, Mahdia etc. This transition occurred at the expense of Kairouan which had fallen into significant decline, meaning it's authority had become increasingly tentative. Crusader authority thus may be best exercised in coastal settlements of modern day Tunisia and Tripolitania in Libya.

A more pessimistic philosophical perspective might arise among the Muslim intelligentsia, especially in Persia and in Iraq, not unlike how the Romans saw the collapse of the WRE to the barbarian kingdoms. They will question themselves: how come the ummah could have been eroded and destroyed by this various barbarian nations, from the Turks to the Franks to the Mongols? And likely this will inspire either religiously-guided reforms or revolutions in Islamic polities to cope with these changes.
In terms of secular literature, these circumstances will almost certainty have massive effects on the writings of an ATL Ibn Khaldun equivalent (should a figure of such prominence arise).

Also, I must render a much deserved compliment to @Al-Za’im's posts in #2,862 and #2,866, which were very comprehensive and thorough.
Many thanks! I have really enjoyed this TL so far, and am incredibly excited for how the histories of Egypt and the Maghreb will manifest ATL!

Regarding the Sahel states, one interesting wrinke in my opinion would be if the in general weaker Sunni and Shia orthodoxy would lead to one of the more out-there offshoots like Yazidi gaining a foothold in Sub-Saharan Africa. Aternatively a syncretic mixture of traditional Dogon and islamic practices and beliefs merging into something new.

Regarding the Sahel states, one interesting wrinke in my opinion would be if the in general weaker Sunni and Shia orthodoxy would lead to one of the more out-there offshoots like Yazidi gaining a foothold in Sub-Saharan Africa. Aternatively a syncretic mixture of traditional Dogon and islamic practices and beliefs merging into something new.
Having a more syncretic version of Islam floating around in the Sahel would be very interesting, I've no one's how that would work.

As in North Africa, the Maliki school should dominate more in the Sahel than otl if more muslims from the north are under pressure from the crusades.

Last edited:
65. The Fall of the Fatimid Caliphate
66. THE FALL OF THE FATIMID CALIPHATE

1200px-Yahyâ_ibn_Mahmûd_al-Wâsitî_006.jpg

Non-contemporary (c. 1200 C.E.) illumination depicting soldiers of the old Fāṭimid army, at the time of the conquest of Egypt.

Mourning an Autocrat

Manuel I Komnenos was one of Rhõmanía’s most extraordinary monarchs, and his legacy lived not only through his descendants who sat upon the throne in Constantinople, but also in his achievements. History decreed that his various military successes in Armenia, in Cilicia, in Syria and Palestine, in Sicily and in Hungary, would be overshadowed by his ultimately failed attempts of conquering Egypt, and this is demonstrated by the fact that, in spite of the various triumphal titles that he accumulated to his person, reviving the ancient Roman practice of using the names of the vanquished nations, the nonexistence of the name Aegyptiacus [1] would haunt and humiliate his dynasty for generations to come, even more so after the Frankish conquest a few decades later. The fact that none of his predecessors since the reign of Heraclius, who witnessed the first Arabian conquests, had genuinely attempted to reconquer Egypt, and neither would Manuel’s immediate successors in the throne, not only demonstrates that no one saw the possibility of the restoration of imperial rule in the Nile as feasible, but also authorizes a conscientious Historian to criticize the whole enterprise as a folly, driven not by Rhõmanía’s necessities, but by the Basileus’ personal ambition and thirst for glory. The late Basileus had sought to capitalize in the evident weakness of the Fāṭimids, but, in retrospect, the task was nothing short of herculean, and wasted useful resources that might have been useful to the well-being of the Empire.

Be as it may, Manuel was much celebrated in his lifetime and his portrait was given to posterity with various endearing encomiums by the historians of his age, who described him as a magnificent monarch, as a valiant knight and as a pious devotee.

In diplomacy, he had been more successful, having obtained the recognition of his suzerainty by Rhõmanía’s neighbors, from the Hungarians, Croatians, and Serbians to the Armenians and the Turkomans, and fostered alliances with the great nations of the age by marriage and treaty, from Germany to Georgia, and from Russia to France, and everywhere he had been acknowledged as a powerful and dynamic ruler, even by the Roman Pope. Although the finances of the state had been compromised by the long campaigns and by extensive warfare, overall the economic situation of the themata was positive; taxation had not been raised, and whatever excesses of the provincial aristocracy might be perpetrated were either prevented or repressed by the law and by justice. And while his impetuous attempts of incorporating the Frankish “Crusadist” ideology to his own purpose was met with stern and determined resistance by the churchmen, late in his reign, he had cultivated good relations with the Church, and the Patriarchs of Constantinople remained allies to the Crown.

Upon his death, he was succeeded peacefully by his eldest son, Alexios, who had long since been used to the honorific of Despotes, but now emphasized the use of the ever-significant Porphyrogénnētos - considering that he was born only a few months after Manuel was crowned Emperor [in 1155 A.D.]. Manuel’s other male sons, Andronikos and Alexander, both having only recently become adults, made no claim to the throne, and neither did the other nobles, most of whom, having been associated to the Komnenoi dynasty by marriage and happily obliging for the largesse, gifts and honors distributed by the new autocrat, also desired a peaceful transfer of power. And then, just as it had happened to himself, Alexios’ firstborn son was born not long after his accession, and was also baptized as Alexios, considering that the newly crowned Basileus regarded the AIMA prophecy as cyclical, meaning that his successor’s name had to begin with the letter “A” as well [2].

Alexios had been associated with the imperial administration from young age, and, if on one hand he apparently lacked the same martial spirit of his father, his grandfather and his great-grandfather, he knew nonetheless that military victory was necessary to safeguard and to adorn his own reign, and thus he did not seek to make peace with the Ismaelites for the time being. One important extant document we have from the period is a missive written by Hugh Eteriano [It. Ugo Eteriano] in Alexios’ name to the Duke of Ancona in which the Emperor affirms his intention of giving quarters to the Anconitan merchants to live and work in the port-metropolis of Alexandria. The project, however, would not be fulfilled in the years after his accession.

******​

In late January 1176 A.D., upon Manuel’s last breath, the upper-echelon officers who witnessed his passing sought to withhold the information about his passing from the soldiery and from the auxiliary armies.

It was a useless effort. The Emperor, in fostering the sublime and quasi-divine presence in his contact with the lowly subjects, made his very absence all too evident. In scantily less than three days after his passing, the rumors abounded through all the peoples involved in the campaign about Manuel’s untimely death, and the high officialdom, themselves paralyzed by the abrupt fatality, could do little to nothing to prevent the predictable outcomes: confusion from the lack of orders and miscommunication from across the spread of rumors in various languages immediately provoked hysteria in the soldiery and inspired insubordination and desertions.

Soon enough, a dispute arose between the officers, aggravating the crisis even more: John Doukas Komnenos claimed the leadership of the army, but was contested by Megas Primikērios Andronikos Komnenos and his son John Komnenos the Younger.

By the time the dispute was solved the army was in complete disarray, having failed to take Cairo by storm. Even if they could scantily hope to conquer the well-fortified Egyptian capital, and neither to face the more numerous Fatimid army in the field of battle, John Doukas Komnenos refused to abandon the siege, arguing that they ought to avenge the deceased Basileus, whatever high might be the cost. The decision proved to be unpopular and then, suffering through constant harassment of the Saracens, the remaining officers orchestrated a coup and demoted John Doukas Komnenos from leadership, replacing him for Megas Primikērios Andronikos. The new general detained John Doukas and ordered the siege to be lifted immediately.

Using diplomatic parleys as an strategic subterfuge, he sought to keep the Fatimid army at bay while he could organize the retreat. In spite of enjoying a far larger numerical superiority, the Fatimids did not attempt to engage in a pitched battle nor did they effectively cut off the possible venues for a retreat of the Christian army. The Fatimid army, comprised by the Rayhāniyya [the "Sudanese" regiment] and the Juyūshiyya (the "Armenian" regiment), led by the battle-untested Grand Vizier Husayn ibn Abu ʾl-Hayjā, assisted by a recently arrived allied army of Shia Yemenis under Yāsir bin Bilāl - himself a Vizier of the Zurayid Emir Abi Saud bin Imran Muhammad bin Saba [3], likely feared that the Christians, if encircled and desperate, could very well attempt to take Cairo by storm or, even worse, perpetrate atrocities in the sacred grounds of the Caliphal palace. It seems that Husayn ibn Abu ʾl-Hayjā, indecisive about the course of action, simply humored the Rhõmaîon embassies over the course of several days, while Andronikos’ army broke off the camp and marched northward.

The Fatimids, however, refused to acquiesce to a truce, and remained battle-ready.

Indeed, in his path to Bilbeis, Andronikos’ army was constantly harassed and assaulted in its weakest elements by the Ismaelites.

Andronikos Komnenos’ Anabasis

Andronikos knew that the expeditionary army could only survive if they returned to Damietta, whose outlying region had been deftly fortified.

In Bilbeis, however, he was forced to give battle to the Caliphal army. His rearguard secured by the citadel-city itself, he pivoted the army due south to face the oncoming Egyptian men-at-arms. The combined Rhõmaîon army, with their associated auxiliaries and mercenaries, was superior in experience and organization, but their individual soldiers were demoralized, famished and struggling with the very epidemic of fever that had reaped their monarch’s life. The Ismaelite army consisted in the crack regiments of heavy infantry and archers (generally of Sudanese, Armenians and Syrians) and heavy and archer cavalry (mostly Turks and Bedouins), assisted by light infantry and cavalry and other divisions. The battle concluded in a tactical victory to the Christians, who successfully preserved their position in Bilbeis, but the engagement was impressively violent, involving wanton use of Greek fire and naphtha weapons against the infantry formations, resulting in hundreds of men immolated in unbearable agony. John Kinnamos, who was an eye-witness of the engagement, now attached to the administrative retinue of Andronikos Komnenos, describes the battle in grisly details in an eerie narrative that emulates the scenes of Hell.

The hard-won victory, however, gave the Christians only a brief respite, because the Fatimids did not retreat; on the contrary, they remained afield, still holding numerical advantage. The Megas Primikērios knew that the only hope for salvation was to abandon Bilbeis and to go back all the way to Damietta, which had been fortified. Chronos, however, was not seemingly acting in their favor. Desertion of the mercenaries was rife, and disease, from camp fever to malaria, was rampant among the soldiery.

Two strokes of luck saved the Christians, after all.

Firstly, in Fustat, the collective social climate of hysteria and apprehensiveness provoked a riot against perceived enemies of the state, such as Sunnis and Copts. Secondly, and even worse, we see that the treacherous Emir Kanz al-Dawla, established in Aswan, had brought Makurian raiders from Dongola to serve as mercenaries to attack the provincial governors of Upper Egypt still loyal to the Caliphate, and, after sacking and occupying Qus, he marched against the fortified city of Akhmim, while his tribesmen, taking advantage of the lack of organized defenses, made themselves the masters of the oases of Kharga and Dakhla, which, despite fairly isolated, were inhabited by families of prosperous merchants and served as entrepots of the Saharan trade. Both of these events, which happened between February and May 1176 A.D., forced the Caliphal army to give halt to the pursuit of Andronikos’ host and to face these threats.

Andronikos attempted to win over to his cause the deposed Vizier al-Malik al-Ghazi - who was still biding his time in Alexandria the unraveling of the war between the Rhõmaîoi and the Caliphal government - promising to surrender Bilbeis to him. Al-Malik al-Ghazi, however, was no fool, and knew that it was far more useful to him that the Christians and the Ismaelites exsanguinated themselves in another campaign. His condition was that the Rhõmaîoi evacuated Egypt, surrendering both Bilbeis and Damietta and all other captured cities to him, but to this Andronikos could not answer favorably.

The Megas Primikērios devised an alternative, more desperate strategy: he would retreat back all the way to Damietta, and secure this small stretch of northeastern Egypt until the reinforcements from Constantinople came; but he would devastate the whole land between Bilbeis and Damietta, so as to deny to the Egyptians themselves much needed foodstuff and manpower when they proceed to march against Damietta.

This reverse scorched earth campaign lasted only a couple months in the middle of 1176 A.D. and was of limited geographical scope, but it resulted in widespread destruction of rural settlements and in substantial human casualties. John Kinnamos says that Andronikos ordered the Pecheneg, Cuman and Turkish horsemen under his purview “to live and walk in the manner of the basest of animals, of jackals and wolves, to extirpate the soulless and godless Saracens and to make the earth black with cinders”. And this they did, indulging in every type of atrocity against the hapless and mostly undefended Egyptians, indiscriminately against Muslims, Jews and Christians. The historian Usamah ibn Mundiqh, who at the time was living in Medina, far more sympathetic to the plight of the Muslims, remarks in his chronicle that: “Egypt, already a land of veritable ancient ruins and buried nations, saw new ruins to appear and another nation to be buried”. The violence appalled both the Ismaelites and the Egyptian Coptic populations, represented by the Patriarch of Alexandria, who supposedly died of heart-break once he heard about the heinous campaign of the Rhõmaîoi. In the end, Andronikos’ strategy was successful: the Caliphal army became much less concerned with impeding their retreat than with facing these swarming bands of horse-mounted marauders, whose attacks they could only combat by employing their own cavalry and by detaching small mobile units, but to no avail.

Infuriated by the act, the Caliphal army, led by the Vizier, only saw their resolve strengthened to destroy the Christian invading army, and thus, once the summer season ended, they, having suppressed the riot in Fustat - but yet still to suppress the Banu Kanz in Qus and Aswan - came in full force to besiege Damietta.

Of the Siege of Damietta

In November 1176 A.D., Andronikos, preparing for the inevitable siege, had been reinforced by five hundred men from the Catepanate of Syria and from Cyprus, though he awaited for even more reinforcements still, believing he lacked enough men to adequately defend the port. Then, before they even received the news about the approach of the Caliphal army, the Franks, here including the Hungarians, and the Armenians staged another mutiny. Their leaders, notably Robert of Emèse, Ampud of Csánad and Thomas of Tarsus, all argued that they had given their oaths personally to Emperor Manuel, and that it had thus expired by his untimely passing, and that they had been released from their oaths. Faced with threats of death and all sorts of brutal reprisals by the Megas Primmikērios, they sustained their rebellion and forced him to acquiesce, and before the middle of the month they departed to Acre, transported by Genoese galleys.

Worse even was the desertion of not a few Cuman and Turkoman warbands, who, of more adventurous disposition, claimed their respective shares of booty and departed as well. Andronikos attempted to challenged them by force of arms, but the effort was useless and counterproductive; his own men were demoralized and dispirited. The prospect of a long siege instilled their hearts with fear. So he simply desisted and made no opposition to the barbarian mercenaries. Only some of these Cumans and Turkomans did find their way back to the confines of Asia from whence they came; but most of them, of more adventurous disposition, actually remained at large in the regions of Sharqia and Gharbia, forming a swarm-like band of bandits and raiders based off a cluster of towns near Bilbeis.

Left to the Megas Primmikērios were the Rhõmaîon soldiers, with Syrian and Turcopole conscripts, some Turkoman mercenaries and the Serbian soldiers under Prvoslav, son of Tihomir, who was a hostage in the Constantinopolitan court.

To many of the Rhõmaîoi soldiers, to defend Damietta, according to John Kinnamos, was an impossible venture, but Andronikos Komnenos, driven by a heroic devotion to his cause, sustained the siege. He had expected the Ismaelites in 1176 still, but they awaited for the spring of 1177 to make the move, and finally Damietta was besieged.

The siege of Damietta lasted for various months, only because the Christians held absolute mastery over the sea, and thus could be replenished by ships coming from Cyprus, Greece and Anatolia, but, in time, it became impossible to face the Fatimid onslaught.

Realizing that it would be useless to starve them into submission, the Muslims made good use of their numerical superiority, having conscripted thousands and thousands of commoners to participate in the operations. Every sortie and every defense of the battlements were, to the Christians, pyrrhic victories; the reinforcements they expected from Constantinople would never come. Once again, their greatest enemies were not only the besiegers, but demoralization, exhaustion, deprivation and disease - the latest one aggravated by the fact that the Ismaelites constantly catapulted pestilent mortal remains inside the city to spread foul miasmas. Andronikos had had the means to use Greek Fire as a desperate defensive measure only in the first month of the siege, before even this resource was exhausted, but the Egyptians constantly used naphtha weapons, which, even if in smaller scope of destruction, were nonetheless an important piece in the engagement.

In the height of summer, fearing that the next assault of the Saracens would be the final, the Megas Primmikērios finally decided to abandon the siege. He had provided for five Anconitan galleys to assist in the evacuation of his retainers and the soldiers, but many others were compelled to stay, so as to avoid suspicion from the besiegers, and to secure the town’s defenses in its last effort. Afterwards, they left by sea, carrying all the booty and pillage, and went to Cyprus.

Uncertain of what would be the reaction of the new Emperor, Alexios, when the news about the fall of Damietta arrived in the capital, Andronikos decided to await in Nicosia, and there they remained for months, enjoying the accumulated booty, by the virtue of which many lowly men had become rich from night to day. His fears were apparently unfounded: the new Emperor, instead of chastising or punishing him for the desertion, actually welcomed him in Constantinople with the honors due to the a war hero, and he was afterwards granted the governorship of Macedonia, but would in fact remain active in the imperial court in the Bosporus. It is impossible to say if Alexios' consideration to his cousin was genuine or if he, having been recently elevated, was simply complying to the established precedent of the Komnenoi Emperors of favoring and patronizing their own family members, though the fact that Andronikos would never more be given a significant military command, instead bestowing his favoritism towards the Axouches, the Doukai and the Hethoumids of Cilicia, seems to demonstrate that the new Basileus held the Megas Primmikērios responsible for the loss of the short-lived Exarchate of Egypt. Or perhaps he simply did not trust Andronikos, who, famed for his good looks and charismatic persuasion, was a potential contender to the imperial throne. In any event, this veiled fall from grace fed into the Megas Primmikērios' resentment.

Meanwhile, in Damietta, the city finally fell in August 1177 A.D., and its remaining garrison men were slain to the last man and crucified near the Mediterranean shore.

Likely fearful of another attempt of amphibious assault by cross-bearing assailants, the Grand Vizier ordered the destruction of the harbor, and of the towns’ defenses, leaving only the towers and the fort which had been constructed by Manuel Komnenos in the beginning of the war, further to the south of the city’s walls, which became appropriately known as Qalat ar-Rumi [5].

The expulsion of the Christians, for the second time, was regarded as an undeniable triumph, but it did actually very little to save the ailing Caliphal regime. It was in fact a hollow victory, one that demanded a substantial amount of human casualties to be obtained, and it did not prevent the action of other enemies of the state: the Mamluks in Alexandria, the Banu Kanz in Upper Egypt, the Berber raiders in the western deserts, and the Cuman and Turkoman bandits who were rampaging in Gharbia and in Sharqia.

Now, it was during the siege of Damietta that the determined Mamluk warlord, al-Malik al-Ghazi, hitherto restive in Alexandria, made his own move. With it, he intended to topple the decadent Caliphate once and for all.

Of the Capture of Cairo by the Mamluks

It is evident that, in 1177 A.D., when al-Malik marched against the capital of Egypt, he had long since abandoned any prospect of being reinstated as Grand Vizier, as he now desired to install himself as the reigning monarch. By then, he styled himself with lofty victory titles commonly used by the Caliphs, such as “King of Kings” [Ar. Malik al-Muluk] and “Emir of Emirs” [Ar. Amīr al-Umarā] - even though he did not adopt the title of Imam, which, being of religious nature, still seemed reserved to the actual successors of the Prophet.

To ensure the success of his own play for power, the former Vizier reached out to his former adversary, Abū Ḥafṣ ʿUmar ibn Yahya, the Sheik of Ifriqyia, and a vassal to the Almohad Caliph, for an alliance. Abū Ḥafṣ enjoyed a quasi-independent autonomy, as did his own men, whose tribal allegiances were stronger than the superior bond to the Moroccan Caliph - who, at the time was campaigning in distant al-Andalus - and he accepted to join al-Malik’s campaign in return for tribute and a share of plunder.

Al-Malik al-Ghazi ignored Damietta for the time being and made his way directly to Cairo, marching along the Canopic course of the Nile. His march was so impressively quick that contemporary sources attributed to him the sobriquet of “Great Panther”. In the span of a few days, his whole army, having come from Alexandria, had already crossed the Nile and put Cairo to siege. The palace-city, well guarded by a large bodyguard corps comprising various groups, from Sudanese and Nubians to Armenians and Yemenis, fell shortly after the beginning of the siege due to the agency of treacherous elements inside the court. Disgruntled and disaffected with the shadowy rule of the eunuchs, the guardsmen of the palace opened the gates to the besieging army and immediately proceeded to slay the eunuchs, including their minister Mu’tamin al-Khilāfa, who was tortured to death.

The capture of Cairo could have very well signified al-Malik’s ultimate victory in this long war, because he could make the Caliph himself his own prisoner. However, after whole days scouring the inner sanctum of the palace, the Mamluks failed to encounter Caliph al-ʿĀḍid. Under torture, one of his former concubines confessed that the Caliph and his sons had, in the day before the fall of Cairo, been spirited away from the palace disguised as slave women by Yemeni soldiers loyal to Yāsir bin Bilāl.

This abduction, which surprised even the Grand Vizier Husayn, was carefully orchestrated by the Zurayid Emir, who, predicting the inevitable collapse of the rightful Caliphate, acted to save the life and to preserve the lineage of the man that he considered to be the genuine successor of Muhammad. Caliph al-ʿĀḍid had, before the fall of Cairo, been escorted the Red Sea coast and ferried in a fishing boat to the port-town of ‘Aydhab, from whence he was transported across the sea to Aden in Yemen.

Righteous purposes notwithstanding, the Zurayids did not waste the opportunity of taking advantage of the situation; shortly after his arrival, Caliph al-ʿĀḍid and his sons Da’ud and Sulayman were compelled to marry Ibn Saba’s daughters and sisters, and their respective male sons would later be regarded as the successors of the Caliphal lineage, with other claimants relegated to obscurity.

Still active in Egypt, Yāsir ibn Bilāl, after leaving Cairo, occupied the two main ports of the Red Sea to the Zurayids without any resistance. Al-Qusayr [modern El-Qoseir] and ‘Aydhab would then be used as bases to raid the nearby villages and merchant ships, further weakening whatever remnant was left of the Caliphal government.

Of the Collapse of the Caliphal Rule in Egypt

Regardless of his triumph, al-Malik al-Ghazi would still have to contend with the Caliphal army.

As the “Great Panther” prepared to face the Rayhāniyya and Juyūshiyya once and for all, he was surprised by another wave of violent riots by the overcrowded and distressed populace of Fustat. The inhabitants were suffering with chronic famine and the war and instability severely impoverished them. In spite of their general apathy towards the political questions - the population could hardly be expected to be anything less than indifferent towards the Fatimid Caliphs, whose reclusiveness had been the norm for the better part of a century -, they came to actively despise the self-proclaimed Mamluk warlord, seen as a corrupt usurper and despised for being a freedman. The enraged civilians were no match, however, to the seasoned and well-armed slave soldiers, and thus the insurgence was rapidly quenched. However, it happened that precisely during the parade to commemorate his victory, in the very apex of his fortunes and prestige, al-Malik al-Ghazi was ignominiously slain. Mounted in his Kipchak steed, even surrounded by his guardsmen, he was felled by an assailant who surprised him from above, having jumped from a rooftop. He fell hard from his horse, the throat trespassed by a small dagger. The perpetrator was then killed in the very spot, eviscerated and hacked to pieces by spears. His personal identity was never discovered, but it was all but evident that he was one of the Nizari Assassins [4]; the causes of the crime are impossible to ascertain, but it seems that they had become inimical to him once he revealed himself an enemy of the Caliph.

The foul assassination of the Emir of Emirs, in the view of his contemporaries such as Usamah ibn Mundiqh and of later historians, put to death the last hope for a genuine revival of the political and military strength of the Caliphate, because his immediate successors would fail to prevent the collapse of the realm into anarchy.

On the other hand, the kidnapping of Caliph al-ʿĀḍid and of his immediate family by the Yemenis had removed the very final figment of ceremonial conformation that still existed to guide the fragilized state apparatus and the warring statesmen, considering that, over the last hundred years, the physical presence of the Caliph in Cairo as a de facto hostage to the multitude of tyrants that had succeeded Badr al-Jamali had been a source of legitimacy to the viziers and ministers that commanded the palace and the government in his very name. Now, none of them held any better or more satisfiable claim to power; they were preying upon one another, and upon the hapless population of Lower Egypt, like jackals, drooling and gnawing for the pieces of a cadaveric kingdom.

******​

To succeed al-Malik al-Ghazi, his sons, who had been born free - and were thus not ghilman - attempted to claim the position, but they were immediately sidelined and then quietly murdered by his second-in-command, another Turkoman born as Tegin al-Sivasri, but who became better known by the honorifics which he assumed, also as King of Kings and Emir of Emirs, al-Azhar and al-Mansour [5] [Latinized Lalazarus Almanzor]. Like his predecessor, al-Azhar laid a claim to the whole of Egypt and thus made war against the remnant of the Caliphal army and against the other rivals such as the Yemeni raiders and the Banu Kanz in Aswan.

His first act, however, was to turn against al-Malik’s latest ally Sheik Abū Ḥafṣ, and thus the Mamluks once again made war against the Berbers. The alliance with their former enemies, who were hated with passion, had been al-Malik’s most unpopular act during his tenure, and al-Azhar, who knew and shared of this hostile sentiment, happily obliged to his men upon ascension to power by attacking the Berber encampment constructed near Fustat during the dark of night. Sheik Abū Ḥafṣ, who distrusted the Ismaelites, and correctly predicting that al-Azhar was making a fool of him, was prepared and, before the assault, he had abandoned the camp and quickly ventured into the desert. Believing that al-Azhar would not follow pursuit, aware that the Rayhāniyya and Juyūshiyya under Grand Vizier Husayn were approaching Fustat, the Berbers established themselves in the oasis of Bahariya, where they erected a fortress to serve as a headquarters.

Despite their strong position holding Alexandria, Fustat and Cairo, which in turn allowed them to secure the dominion over the prosperous and populous center of Egypt, from Gizeh to Fayyum, after the death of al-Malik, the Mamluks saw their hold over the more distant provinces dissipate entirely. Even worse to them, and to the stability of the realm, was the fact that al-Azhar al-Mansour launched yet another persecution against the citizens of those cities, under the pretext of purging the Assassins from Egypt, but which targeted mainly the rich merchants and the aristocrats, whose properties were unscrupulously confiscated upon their grisly executions.

Realizing that Husayn was unwilling to commit to a pitched battle, having become entrenched with his army in Bilbeis, al-Azhar made the first move and attacked them, but his assault was unsuccessful. Once again, the remnant of the Caliphal army capitalized on its far superior numerical advantage, while the Mamluks, in spite of their proficiency in battle, had trouble to replenish whatever losses they suffered, and had to rely in conscripts to bolster their numbers. The Emir of Emirs, after the failed attack on Bilbeis, reached to the leaders of the Cumans and Turkomans who had come to Egypt under the payroll of the Rhõmaîoi and hired them as mercenaries, a decision that proved to be as unpopular as that of his predecessors in enlisting the Berbers, because these bandoliers were undisciplined and hostile to everyone, and had wrought immense suffering in the Egyptian peasantry, whom the Mamluks were supposedly defending.

As it happened, these events inspired the rebellion of Faris Nasir ad-Din ibn Umar in 1178 A.D., centered in Ushmunayn [ancient Hermopolis] and al-Bahnasa. Unfortunately to Historians, he is an obscure character of which we know only that he, originated from a wealthy aristocratic family of Bedouin descent, had been placed as governor of the region by al-Malik al-Ghazi in expectation of the financial support from the Egyptian nobility, to whom Nasir ad-Din was well connected. He, however, had an ambition of his own, and thus, proclaiming himself Malik, he proclaimed his allegiance firstly to Husayn, and then to Kanz al-Dawla. Later in that year, a Bedouin army with Christian Makurian mercenaries defeated a detachment of Cumans sent by al-Azhar to retake al-Bahnasa, and thus Kanz al-Dawla unexpectedly became the master of the whole of Upper Egypt, from Aswan in the border of the realm to al-Bahnasa, which lay in just a couple days’ march to Fustat.

In Cyrenaica, the Sunni Berbers affiliated to the Almohads once again began to prey upon the rural communities, to disrupt the already deserted trade routes, and to attempt to take the coastal cities, which had been left mostly undefended by the Mamluks. Sheik Abū Ḥafṣ in early 1179 A.D. succeeded in capturing Barqa for the second time, thus securing the western littoral of Egypt to the inimical Caliphate.

So, as it came to pass, in the [Christian] year of 1179, the formerly proud and prosperous Shia Caliphate finally collapsed under the weight of its own decadence and the land, which had been languishing under the tyranny of self-serving warmongers for more than a century, was now wholly dilacerated. The fairer part of the realm was engulfed by war, pestilence and famine, and the exhaustion of the belligerents impeded one another to obtain a decisive triumph, necessary to restore stability and peace to the land, hence perpetuating this miserable state of warlordism.

This barbarous anarchy would last until the end of the decade of 1180 A.D., when the cross-bearing armies of the *Third Crusade would come to vanquish the final remnants of the Ismaelite monarchy and to restore the Christian domination in Egypt after half a millennium of Islamic rule.

In the next installment: In the Frankish Levant, Robert of Emèse will play his ace against Prince Raymond III and make a bid for a greater ambition.

Notes:
[1]
Manuel historically did resurrect the defunct practice of using imperial victory titles, five hundred years after Heraclius, who had been the latest one to adopt them; and then Manuel was the last Roman Emperor to do so. In a 1166 inscription, he referred to himself as Isauricus, Cilicius, Armenicus, Dalmaticus, Ugricus, Bosniacus, Chrobaticus, Lazicus, Ibericus, Bulgaricus, Serbicus, Zikhicus, Azaricus, Gothicus, in celebration of his campaigns. ITTL, had he successfully conquered Egypt, he would add Aegyptiacus to the roster. This is an interesting tidbit from our History which demonstrates Manuel's conscious celebration and imitation of the classics as an element of legitimacy to the Byzantine claim to the preeminence in Christendom.
[2] Here I'll render to the Wikipedia's description because it is fairly concise and useful. The AIMA prophecy “[it] claimed to foretell that the initial letters of the names of the emperors of the Komnenos dynasty would spell aima (αἶμα), the Greek word for "blood". The emperors of the dynasty had been, in order, Alexios I Komnenos (r. 1081–1118) (alpha), Ioannes II Komnenos (r. 1118–1143) (iota), and Manuel I (mu) (whose succession was unexpected since he was the fourth son of Ioannes). (...) Manuel also gave the name to at least one and perhaps two of his own illegitimate sons.”
[3] The Zurayids and the Hamdanids are historical Shia/Ismaili Yemeni dynasties which prospered during this timeframe. IOTL, both of them were deposed by Saladin during the 1170s and the whole of Yemen was annexed to the Ayyubid Sultanate (whose existence here, however, has been entirely butterflied). ITTL, as foreshadowed in the chapter, they will thrive as the new center of Shia Islam after the fall of the Fatimids, and will likely play a more relevant role as preservers of the Fatimid/Egyptian culture in south Arabia.
[4] The Assassins are much less relevant in this TL in comparison to OTL because they never quite established a secure holdout in Syria, even though they remained very much active in northern Persia and Azerbaijan, where they are still a thorn in the side of the Seljuks as well as in the Sinai. Whereas historically they took advantage of the chaotic patchwork of conflict in Syria to entrench themselves firstly in Aleppo, then in Masyaf, in this alternate timeline they were thwarted from doing so by the early annexation of northwestern Syria to the Crusader State, and by the conquest of Aleppo during the *Second Crusade by the Byzantines. I figure that they still played their usual assassination shenanigans over the decades, but, since they are more active in Iraq and Persia, their actions went off-screen. In Chapter 49 I give a briefing about their origins and their role in Fatimid Egypt.

[5] Qalat ar-Rumi means literally the Castle of the Romans.
[6] al-Azhar means “the shining” or “the radiant one”, and al-Mansour means “the victorious one”.

Author Comment: The narrative leading to the current Chapter was conceived and modified many times before I decided for this final version. Even then, I have some doubts sometimes, which, I think, is understandable considering the scope of the TL. One constant has been the concept of Egypt being conquered in the course of the Third Crusade, after a long period of decline and internecine warfare. I don’t believe that, before that, the Franks had the manpower nor the resources to topple the Fatimid Caliphate. So I had to devise, from a narrative POV, a way to weaken it enough, from a military standpoint so that it can be liable to a foreign conquest. Manuel’s wars played this card well, even though I recognize the merit of the criticism not a few readers raised about the unfolding of events, and the fact that both of his expeditions failed due to completely unforeseen events: the appearance of the Almohads and later Manuel’s own death. On the other hand, I think that, in hindsight, the narrative, albeit fictional, is coherent with the character and the aspirations of Manuel Komnenos. I tried to portray his ambitious attempt of conquering Egypt in a plausible way according to the image I have of his persona. Then, again, this TL is focused on the Crusades, and thus I made the conquest of Egypt ending as an “alternate Myriokephalon” of sorts.

For those who are familiar with OTL, you'll realize that the fall of the Fatimids occurred in roughly the same period that it historically did - al-Adid here being also the last Caliph to reign in Egypt - but the circumstances of this collapse are very much different, and come to demonstrate how far the alliance between the Byzantines and the Franks could have achieved, IMHO.

Last edited:
The Rhomanians are going to get extremely jealous of Catholic Crusaders after the latter conquer Egypt. I see this as a serious wake-up call for them to do something about it.

On the other hand, I can see loads of European noble families having power in a Christian Egypt. I wonder if OTL obscure families will rise to prominence there. Imagine Habsburgs, Plantagenets, and Wittelsbachs having lands in Egypt. I am already thinking of Piers Gaveston being a prominent crusader in this case. I wonder if the Lusignans and Despencers (the family that got involved with Edward II of England's shenanigans until Isabella of France gave them a whoop-ass) will also make their fortunes in Egypt. Hell maybe even the Woodvilles (the family that rose to prominence during the Wars of the Roses thanks to Edward IV of England) could get power there.

Last edited:
The Rhomanians are going to get extremely jealous of Catholic Crusaders after the latter conquer Egypt. I see this as a serious wake-up call for them to do something about it.

On the other hand, I can see loads of European noble families having power in a Christian Egypt. I wonder if OTL obscure families will rise to prominence there. Imagine Habsburgs, Plantagenets, and Wittelsbachs having lands in Egypt. I am already thinking of Piers Gaveston being a prominent crusader in this case. I wonder if the Lusignans will also make their fortunes in Egypt.
Reading this, I can just imagine 'Charles III of Hapsburg, Pharaoh of Egypt' or something, which is quite funny.

PS: please make this canon this is too good, especially if the Hapsburgs lose their German territories.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the soon-emerging dynamics within the region, now that the Caliphate had collapsed. However, you know me, my eye will be caught on the mention of Prvoslav Tihomirović, nephew of Stefan Nemanja and son of his predecessor, and the fact that he is a hostage in the Constantinopolitan court! I am but curious as to how that occurred!

Were things going roughly OTL, then Nemanja would have prostrated himself and have spent time in Constantinople as a prisoner in the early 1170s, while Prvoslav would be declared his father's successor in the lands he owned, having been forced to renounce his father's claims to Grand Prince a few years earlier, and mainly be remembered OTL for his sponsorship of the Đurđevi Stupovi Monastery in modern-day Montenegro (which, based on scholarly discourse, only began building after Nemanja had left the throne, due to Nemanja having built his own Đurđevi Stupovi Monastery in celebration of his victory over Tihomir). Makes me curious how the lad had made it over there.

If the Yemenis now have the Caliph, I wonder if they'll be more assertive in exporting Shia Islam to Somalia and the Swahili Coast, or perhaps aim to take Mecca and Medina from the Hejazi.

I'm definitely interested in seeing the players involved in our Third Crusade here -- and to see Robert of Emese seize the Jerusalemite throne (or at least the feudal component thereof.)