Now if only the Rhomaoi could come pick the ripen fruit of Crusader labor, Damascus is quite tantalizing at right this moment. :p

This is the high-water mark for Crusader expansion for the time being, huh? Now it’s time for consolidation, politics, all that stuff. I’m sure it’ll be extremely, uh, cutthroat—their nominal masters in Constantinople can provide excellent examples of that :p

Well, I said that Damascus would eventually fall to the Crusaders, I didn't say when. For the time being, I think it would be too somewhat of a stretch (both figuratively and literally) for the Crusaders to capture it, especially considering that Baktash's regime IOTL was somewhat stable. Also, some drama for the story :)
If I was to imagine, I would say by betrayal, with the gates opened by the Assassins as was plotted IOTL in 1128/1129. I had written long ago some outline of a TL over such an idea, in this thread.

You know, based on this post, I wonder if the future Princes of Jerusalem will manage to get their kingly title by eventually conquering Damascus and then being declared the King of Syria. This would allow them to grab that Kingly title they will desire, without becoming the King OF Jerusalem. Maybe they will eventually settle on something like "The King IN Jerusalem" which would indicate that they are Kings, they live in Jerusalem, but they are not the King _OF_ Jerusalem (since no one wants to compete with the great JC for that title!)

Md139115

Banned
You know, based on this post, I wonder if the future Princes of Jerusalem will manage to get their kingly title by eventually conquering Damascus and then being declared the King of Syria. This would allow them to grab that Kingly title they will desire, without becoming the King OF Jerusalem. Maybe they will eventually settle on something like "The King IN Jerusalem" which would indicate that they are Kings, they live in Jerusalem, but they are not the King _OF_ Jerusalem (since no one wants to compete with the great JC for that title!)

If I recall correctly, it has been agreed that the title of Prince Regnant of Jerusalem does hold royal rank. I’m not sure though if it is equal in precedence to a King or a Regent of a King. I doubt it matters right now for the rulers because being a new creation, it would be the lowest of the kings in seniority, and probably first among any regents. In diplomatic protocol for ambassadors, it would make no difference at all since Jerusalem itself is clearly a kingdom.

Hoping to see the Byzantines backstab the Crusaders.
Helps you in clearing your own backyard, gives you Antioch and helps you recover a key settlement and on top of that puts up with your cerimonial BS and then they should even betray them? This is blasphemy!

If I recall correctly, it has been agreed that the title of Prince Regnant of Jerusalem does hold royal rank. I’m not sure though if it is equal in precedence to a King or a Regent of a King. I doubt it matters right now for the rulers because being a new creation, it would be the lowest of the kings in seniority, and probably first among any regents. In diplomatic protocol for ambassadors, it would make no difference at all since Jerusalem itself is clearly a kingdom.

You know, I wonder about the prominence of the Price of Jerusalem. Although they are certainly a new King and so ranks lower in seniority, they are also the ruler of JERUSALEM and their state was brought about by a holy war. They are going to be seen as having a special relationship with the Church and God for certain. I wonder if this wouldn't increase their prestige and prominence a bit. I wonder how this played out in OTL - sadly, I don't know enough myself to really say.

You know, I wonder about the prominence of the Price of Jerusalem. Although they are certainly a new King and so ranks lower in seniority, they are also the ruler of JERUSALEM and their state was brought about by a holy war. They are going to be seen as having a special relationship with the Church and God for certain. I wonder if this wouldn't increase their prestige and prominence a bit. I wonder how this played out in OTL - sadly, I don't know enough myself to really say.
Weirdly, it all depended on politics, another king could treat them as low one day and high the next. All depended on relations with the church , mood of the people, getting one over another king etc. All that can be said is that they got some perks such as having metal on metal heraldry ( gold crosses on silver ) which no one else could have ( it breaks the rules ) and could count on men/money as a show of faith from people who needed to be pious ( many promised to go on crusades , few actually did but might send some help as a token).

So the first Crusade is done with. What comes of the second?

Edit: And what about the knightly orders? When will the Knights Templar be formed, or the Order of Malta?

Last edited:
Surprised the Rhōmaîoi are still pushing South into Syria, is Alexios content with the situation in Anatolia and is greedily snatching up Syrian sports while they are on bargain sale?

I'm interested in the long term consequences of Bohemond’s attempt to take Damascus, it'll be quite a long time until the next attempt. Will this dispel the aura of invincibility and encourage further raids into the KoJ? Stabilising may prove even more difficult than the initial conquest and survival.

Surprised the Rhōmaîoi are still pushing South into Syria, is Alexios content with the situation in Anatolia and is greedily snatching up Syrian sports while they are on bargain sale?

I'm interested in the long term consequences of Bohemond’s attempt to take Damascus, it'll be quite a long time until the next attempt. Will this dispel the aura of invincibility and encourage further raids into the KoJ? Stabilising may prove even more difficult than the initial conquest and survival.
The Komnenos’ priority was always Syria.In otl,they put much of their resources to try and control Syria rather than expel the Turks from Anatolia.

Last edited:
We have not seen yet the effects of the most important change that ATL has compared to OTL and that is the fact that we have a secure land route to the Levant. With that now you could have many people flock to this place even during peace time, strenghtening the Frankish presence.

Last edited:

trajen777

Banned
The Komnenos’ priority was always Syria.In otl,they put much of their resources to try and control Syria rather than expel the Turks from Anatolia.
Good section.. On the byz focus on Syria I always saw it is being Antioch the focused on. If Antioch had been theirs is think they would have focused on Anatolia after..

We have not seen yet the effects of the most important change that ATL has compared to OTL and that is the fact that we have a secure land route to the Levant. With that now you could have many people flock to this place even during peace time, strenghtening the Frankish presence.

You might even see less...willing immigrants. In the 1090s the Pechenegs are due to invade the Balkans. ITTL I’m wondering if when the Byzantines defeat them that they might possibly do their “shipping defeated populations across the Empire” and dump them into the Crusader states?

You might even see less...willing immigrants. In the 1090s the Pechenegs are due to invade the Balkans. ITTL I’m wondering if when the Byzantines defeat them that they might possibly do their “shipping defeated populations across the Empire” and dump them into the Crusader states?
Aren't we already past that? We are in 1116.

Hither came Bohemond, the Norman, son of Robert Guiscard, blonde haired, bright eyed, sword in hand, a slayer descending from a barbarian race of conquerors, and who might not be crowned in the place where Christ had died and resurrected, but perhaps… just perhaps, could be the King of Syria… a realm of fertile farmlands, antediluvian valleys and gleaming white mountains, slowly consumed by a golden desert of death

I see what you did!

Unfortunately, Bohemond does not seem to measure up with Conan, shame on him. To Damascus or bust!