An ounce of lead

Feburary 8, 1855

Annual Report to Parliament and Her Majesty's Government
Office of the Governor General of Canada
February 1, 1855

On the Question of the French and the Annexation Movement in Canada

Although the local populace here continues to favour the idea of 'Responsible Government', i.e. a local Parliament of some sort, the concept remains more dangerous than helpful at this time. Althought the recent promise of reduction on corn tariffs was well-received, the war with Russia continues to go on and many here are openly talking about the future of the province. With a local parliament, I frankly fear that the organization of the Quebec-quois French along with a growing pro-annexation movement among the English-speaking colonists continue to represent a danger of tossing the province into the hands of the United States. I recognize that the movement of colonists en masse from Ireland to New Ireland, British Columbia, and Victoria territories has allowed for rapid development of those areas, but I can not help but worry such a strategy may backfire on us if we do not take care. Defence of New Ireland will be difficult as the Irish still despise us for the suffering from the famine that occurred there until only late last year. Victoria and British Columbia are literally on the other side of the continent, were it not for our Forts in the area I doubt we would hold the region for long.

Settlers continue to move into the Victoria territory from the neighboring Mexican territories of Oregon and Deseret. While the coastal areas are settled by a plethora of nationalities the inland tends to be settled solely by small Mormon colonies in a pattern of townships numbering about 100 souls with surrounding farmland settlers numbering perhaps 300 to 500 more. Three of these colonies are known to exist in Victoria and the Mormons are quite apt at converting the local natives and other populace to their cause, the Blackfoot being among those most recently turning to the Mormon faith in considerable numbers. Their tendency to produce large families also lends to concern as they are the main white settlers in the whole of eastern Victoria at this time, never mind that they now have their own province recognized within the Republic of Mexico which they and the natives therein almost exclusively populate as well. Western Victoria and coastal British Columbia are also of concern as American settlers along with Irish, English, and increasing numbers of Chinese also begin to come into the area. The new town of Tacoma seems to be close to the border with British Columbia, whose able governance by James Douglas has not only kept the area firmly in British hands but whose division of the colony at 49 degrees latitude allowed the agents of the Hudson Bay Company to continue governance of the newly-named Victoria territory south of that.

This also does not include the rising threat of pro-annexation movements in upper Canada by the English-speaking colonists already established here. I do not doubt that the repeal of the Corn Laws will help eliminate some of this but without more drastic action I worry about the future of the Province. While talk of a Reciprocity Treaty from London allowing for free trade with the United States has reached my office I am not sure if that would help or hinder the cause of pro-British colonists at this point. Perhaps most concerning is the emergence of the leader of this annexation movement, a Mr. John Abbott, whose skills at speech honed during his practice of law over the last decade have made him a focal figure of the movement. An established politician named George Brown is also helping to lead the movement, he is now mayor of Montreal as of the election only a few months ago. I believe that we have an ally in another local politician here named John Macdonald who serves as a rallying point for the loyalists, but the tide here is near turning and I believe that a local Parliament with powers sufficient for self-governance would prove more of a hindrance than a boon at this time.

As for the inquiry about a railroad in Mexican California to connect to Salt Lake City I do not believe that one is beyond the planning stages at this time. If any railroad is of concern in Mexico it is the one recently completed along the Tehuantepec Gap, the others are still either on the drawing board or only the planning stages so far as I know. The opportunity to create an independent Republic of California inclusive of the Mormon Territories remains the dream of some in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and elsewhere, but for now the Mexican government remains in firm control of the area under the very able administration of Governor Pico. He is also governor of the emerging Mexican territory of Oregon until its own legislature is set up, word is the border town of Barcelona just south of Victoria Territory will be the new capital there.

April 8, 1856

"And I have the treaty copies here for you to review as well, Your Highness". The young man stood at attention in a crisp new uniform laden with decorations, he watched the Emperor of Russia sigh as he took the papers from the young man's hand. "What is wrong, Your Highness"?

"Please do not call me that unless I tell you to ahead of time, Nicholas", noted Tsar Alexander II of All Russias, his heart weigh heavy after the rounds of negotiations to end the disaster of the Crimean situation. "You are my son and certain social niceties are to be respected, but one day you will find that the crown is more a shackle and the palace more a prison than you can imagine".

"I do not understand, father", said the boy gently. Alexander looked at his eldest son Nicholas for a few seconds and squinted briefly.

"Perhaps this is a valuable moment to teach you some lessons about how you might rule an Empire. Tell me, did you read the papers you just brought to me"?

"No sir, you asked me not to".

"Good. What do you know about the current situation in the Crimean"?

"So far the British and French along with their Sardinian allies have taken over Sevastopol along with most of the Crimean peninsula. Ottoman armies have moved into the Caucasus with British help and our armies have taken significant casualties".

"What are 'significant casualties' in this case"?

"About half a million from what I gather, sir". Alexander nodded as the number was fairly accurate from what his sources could tell. Nicholas was astute, there was good reason to have faith in the boy though he still had much to learn as would any twelve year old.

"So far so good. What are the benefits to our continuing the war"?

"We might be able to undermine popular support for the conflict in France and Britain. Austria is already fragile, we might push somewhat and cause internal rebellions that could destroy that empire. Unfortunately the real winner in such a case might be the Prussians but mother's family has enough pull to make the situation uncomfortable for the Prussians in Germany if they try anything". Alexander doubted that a great deal but knew that the boy was an idealist - Prussia wanted to use the Zollverein to first unite the German nation economically then as a basis to unite it politically. Austria had the same dream in mind, war between the two was only a matter of timing and trigger in Alexander's mind.

"And what are our risks to continuing the war"?

"We run the same risk of dis-integration and rebellion. Although the people should know their place as servants of the kingdom..."

"Excuse me"?

"The people of Russia serve the Imperial family, father, you most of all".

Alexander was almost agasp at the notion of servitude by all subjects, although he agreed in principle the wording would need to be delicately placed. "I would not say that in such a way again, Nicholas. There are niceties to be recognized, and without the boyars our control might be much harder to maintain".

"Yet we maintain serfdom in the Empire while elsewhere in Europe it is nearly non-existent, in some areas for over half a century".

Alexander knew about the attempts of his grandfather to abolish the system entirely, he was also aware that in doing so he would anger the nobility while enthralling the peasantry. The choice was easy, the latter had far more numbers. "Alright, what other risks were you going to mention"?

"Dis-integration. Our holdings in Congress Poland and Finland along with parts of former Poland-Lithuania are near revolt and there were riots or significant police actions recently in Moskva, St. Petersburg, and Kiev. We are as vulnerable to the threat as Austria, although we shall not shatter like a glass window broken on rock".

"You say that with confidence, may I ask why"?

"Because we are Russia, we do not bend and we do not break"! Such foolish patriotism and notions of nigh-invulnerability were exactly what had gotten Russia into trouble in the first place. Alexander had only recently begun talking with his general staff about needed changes even as the United States had been offering a series of treaties involving closer ties. No other nation had more reason to hate the United Kingdom than the United States, save the Irish and various Indian kingdoms who had no political clout or field army to note.

"I disagree only with your last assessment, we are not invincible and this war has been proof of that. We will talk about that later. So we are here in Paris to negotiate an end to the war. What do we want and what must we have"?

"We must have Orthodox pilgrims protected en route to Jerusalem and we must have territorial integrity".

Alexander was curious about the last part. "What do you mean by, 'territorial integrity'"?

"Our enemies would see us shattered, we must have borders we can defend easily while giving up as little land as possible".

"Indeed. What are your suggestions"?

"I would need to study a map in further detail, but the mountains in the south and the Danube river would be a good place".

"The Caucasus mountains, you mean"?

"Yes, the ones your father secured from Persia a generation ago". Nicholas was inferring the consequences of the treaty of Gullistan. That document made Russia the lone government north of the Caucasus, Alexander was still in shock that the Qajar Shah had not decided to launch an expedition to reclaim his Empire's former territories during the current war. He might have to send a diplomat out to probe for a possible alliance against the British in the 'Great Game' evolving in that area.

"And what do we want"?

"We want to rule Tsarigrad someday and should continue to push towards that goal". Russian names for Constantinople also included Mickelgrad and Konstantingrad, but either way the City of Men's Dreams was a jewel that Russia would one day take, perhaps Nicholas would be the Emperor to do it, but not yet. First the army needed massive reform, the railway system had to be expanded, and preparations for another war in a generation or so would need to be undertaken.

"I am pleased to see you paying attention to what is going on, but would also add we would like time to build and prepare".

"Why do you have such a heavy heart in reviewing this treaty then"?

"Other than the British taking Alayska from us, the deaths of half a million soldiers, and the humiliation of having to publically accept blame for a war we did not want to start"?

"They are buying it for £10 million though, right"?

No, they are stealing it for it should be worth three times that amount at least, but with no other way to defend the area and the Russian ned for hard capital..."Technically yes, and I also dislike having to recognize their 'protectorate' over the Kingdom of Hawaii".

"Why are we concerned about that kingdom and where is it again"?

"Review your maps and answer your own question while I review the treaty with my advisors". As Nicholas left the room the three men seated next to Alexander, who had been silent up to this time, looked to the Tsar.

"He is headstrong, ignorant, and overly prideful in our nation", noted Alexander in a huffing breath.

"Yet at twelve he shows more knowledge of the world than many men twice his age. He is still young your Highness, but I am more hopeful for the future now than an hour ago".

June 19, 1858

"And it was truly a damn shame, I kept telling him, 'You know nothing, John Snow', and he consistently reverberated these wild ideas about how disease must be transmitted. Brilliant man, but misguided, I kept telling him that cholera was multifactorial and not simply a pathogen or germ of some sort. Do you know that he actually had the guile to stand up in front of the Committee for Scientific Enquiries and tell us that perhaps we were all wrong and that London could suffer for it"? William Farr was a prominent statistician who had been part of a case review for a cholera outbreak in London four years prior to this unexpected visit from Dr. Thomas Shapter, who had also begun his career with investigation of a cholera outbreak. Although the unexpected death of John Snow was dismaying and the man had gone even farther into the fringe after the Broad Street incident, that was not the reason for Dr. Shapter's visit.

"Yet you were interested in the evidence even during the inquiry".

"Snow could not conclusively demonstrate that the water from the site was actually dangerous. What, should we have had others drink it after he ranted about its proximity to feces, sir"?

"No, I think that he had a point and perhaps we are not yet able to make sense of how to look for his 'pathogen' just yet".

"Dr. Shapter, are you saying you believe his theory? You realize the professional consequences..."

"What I am saying is that his theory makes sense for the 1832 outbreak as well. I am not saying he is right, only that the pattern holds".

Farr contemplated that for a moment. "I grant you the man cited your work in his reports and that your report on the cholera outbreak in Exeter twenty-five years ago stands as unparalleled, but you are suggesting that miasma theory is somehow wrong".

"Are you familiar with Ignaz Semmelweis, Mr. Farr"?

"What, the mad Austrian doctor who insisted on the poisoning of women in childbirth after cadaveric dissection whose rantings speak to madness"?

"And the one who also noted that the use of chlorinated lime as a cleanser beforehand might be able to solve that problem. We boil our water in many cases when epidemics arise, yet now we are trying very hard to defend a theory from ancient times that does not account for the evidence at hand".

"Dr. Shapter, listen to me carefully. Please recognize that the methods you describe have already been the professional ruin of two established, prosperous physicians in two different countries. There have been previous challenges to miasma theory, it has survived them all. Yes, Redi and Fracastoro gave 'evidence' against it centuries ago, yes Bassi demonstrated that vegetable parasites can make people ill as well. Yet the theory stands accepted around the world despite the challenges then - and now. You risk ruin if you choose to push what you infer and I will not support it".

Shapter sighed audibly. "I am headed to France to discuss these ideas with a scientist there who shares these ideas, perhaps he and another colleague here in Berlin can aid me more than you can. I was not asking for your support, Mr. Farr, only your thoughts, and I do appreciate them".

"You are preparing to launch a damn fool's crusade, I will have to notify the Board of Health of your actions unless you give me your word right now that this foolishness is a passing fancy, perhaps influenced by the death of a friend"?

Shapter looked indecisive. He had contacted a Professor Pasteur of the Ecole Normale Superieure outside Paris and a Dr. Rudolph Virchow at the University of Berlin who seemed to be receptive if not supportive of his ideas. Pasteur had come up with the same thoughts independently while investigating a problem with winemaking the year before while Virchow was interested in listening to the ideas presented as part of a greater investigation into typhus and other diseases, Shapter had not yet introduced the two of them but was to meet separately with each in Paris in about a month. He weighed the options carefully, knowing that Farr had the pull with the board not only to jeopardize his career, but perhaps ruin it. He also recalled that it was only with Semmelweis's departure for Texas four years ago under threat of internment in an asylum and recent publications in the Journal of American Medicine continued to provide support for his theories. He had resulted in drastic decline for the outbreaks of smallpox among the native Americans and the cholera outbreak in Chicago shortly after his arrival, again citing Shapter's work and resulting in the first of their two dozen letters to each other. He turned to Farr, "Do what you must, Dr. Farr. But know that the prosperity of one man is ill comparison to the lives of thousands or millions. And know this, we reap what we sow, Mr. Farr. Good day".

January 27, 1859

"I don't give a DAMN what she wants, get my child out of there is you believe there is some sort of danger, NOW"!. The enraged man lifted the poor servant off of the ground and set him down again, furious that the English obstetrician his wife had asked for continued to be late. This was his first child and he would not tolerate chances, especially when the midwife had declared the child to be in breech. The older servant was humble and understanding, 'Fritz' was a man normally quite caring and respectful but under these circumstances...

His wife's screams continued to echo behind the closed doors as a message came to him noting the arrival of Dr. Carl Crede, an obstetrician who worked barely a mile away. As director for the Berlin academy of midwives he was among the best of the German medical establishment in his field. He literally rode up on a bicycle as the matter was deemed 'most urgent and life-threatening' without further explanation. "My goodness, they said the matter was on some import but no one said..."

"Niceties later, doctor, for now my wife is howling in pain and the midwife says the birth is in breech".

"That means mother and baby are at significant risk, you know. I do not think that the..."

"You are rumored to have been working with new surgical techniques for this sort of event, yes"?

"Sir, the process is still unrefined and the mortality still very high..."

"And you are one of those 'Semelweiss' followers who talks about infections and sterility, yes? Your rate of mortality in births is less than one in one hundred, yes"?

"Sir, I do not know whether the situation would permit..."

"And I know that these are controversial in the medical field but my wife and I are desperate...I can not lose her...do what you must and SAVE HER, MAN"!

The rather tall man was visibly fighting back tears, it was everything he could do not to storm into the room and take charge but his wife had insisted that only the midwife and attending doctor be in the room no matter what happened. She had also insisted only on an English midwife and English medicine, thankfully there was a reason to overstep this request. "I will need boiling water to clean the instruments, some chlorinated lime or at least very strong alcohol for my hands and anyone else involved, and perhaps some anesthesia for the young lady. Can you get a hold of some chloroform for her in addition to the other two items? And you are aware that if I do as you ask that mother and child might not survive the procedure"?

"I...understand, doctor, and...sorry, Uli about earlier...but she is my wife...my love...my everything...". The older man simply nodded his head, the local culture frowned upon men showing significant emotion, but that did not stop Fritz from embracing the man in a bear hug. This enabled him to hide his tearing eyes more easily.

"I have already had water boiling and asked that instruments be brought from the hospital before you arrived, doctor". The midwife's assistant had heard him outside, briefly opened the door to let him know, then closed it again to go back inside.

More screams of pain, more frantic motions of the staff. "Is the chloroform safe to use on her with child, doctor"?

"It was used by her mother five years when her brother Leopold was born".

"And look how easily he bleeds, doctor. I would not want the same for my child".

"If I thought it was the chemical I would not use it. Besides we have used it elsewhere in our own hospital on hundreds of patients with no such results".

"If I should find the child to bleed easily afterwards..."

"Then I will answer for it. Until then, please trust me, we must save the woman and child, yes? Stay out here, I will come to get you when we are done".

"I will be inside with her".

"No, you will not. I must insist on this, it could cause problems".

The smell of whiskey emanated from the room as the midwife's assistant opened the door, "She asked for something to drink and we spilled it on her belly, it seems to be running down towards the birth canal".

As the door closed again, the doctor looked at Fritz, "I need to get in there, please stay until I call for you".

Fritz looked about at his staff, all of whom nodded their heads slowly. "Do what you must, doctor, I await your summons".

The next two hours were maddening, Fritz paced back and forth with great care as he did anything he could to keep the situation off of his mind. Yet he continued to return to the door time and again, only to walk back and make sure not to open it. When the loud cries emanated from the room he was not yet to the door when it opened widely and Dr. Crede invited him inside. "Do not mind the quantity of blood, it is only slightly more than usual, sir".

Fritz thought he had walked in on a murder scene, the only thing keeping him from blind rage was the doctor's warning and midwife's confirmation shortly thereafter. His wife was still asleep, though starting to come around, and her surgical repair seemed to be in place. "I had to sew the uterus back up, the chlorinated lime will sting and I soaked the needle and thread in it repeatedly. We need to see if an infection will set in, but the worst is over and the bleeding appears to have stopped. I am also applying silver nitrate to his eyes and her wounded area as a preventative. Be thankful, his left arm was caught in a small space and I was able to extract the child without damaging it. Any attempt to deliver by breech could have killed him or worse left him physically or mentally crippled, if not both".

Fritz looked into the eyes of his first child, a boy, and had all but tuned out the remainder of Dr. Crede's last statement. "What will you name him, sir"?, asked the midwife.

Fritz and his wife had already discussed the name for the child for both male and female children, almost screaming the name in jubilation,"His name is Frederick Wilhelm Victor Albert Hohenzollern, Prince of Prussia"!

March 15, 1860

"I still think the document must be mistranslated somehow", came the reply of the Shogun's Councilor, Il Naosuke. "I can not figure why they would ask for such terms".

"You question good luck, I do not, old friend. I say we confirm the translation one more time and sign the document before they change their minds". Nagano Shuzen was Il's confidant, friend, and ally in the struggles the Bakufu of Japan to modernize. They agreed that the nation must expand its trade outwards, the recent Treaties of Amity and Commerce with the Americans, Dutch, English, French, and Russians had soured the taste of many for Westerners. Yet it was the newest arrivals from the Republic of Texas that offered something in writing that the rest had not - a lack of extraterritoriality anywhere in the treaty. It meant that Imperial subjects in Texas would have to follow Texan law while Texans in Japan would have to follow Japanese law when on Japanese soil or suffer the consequences. Although this treaty arranged for consulates and treaty ports at Shimonoseki, Osaka, Kagoshima, and Nagasaki.

"My friend, they wish to lease the whole of Ganryu-Jima Island off the coast of Shimonoseki, Sakurajima Island by Kagoshima which they plan to turn into a naval coaling station under very specific restrictions, the island of Iojima which they also plan to turn into a coaling station and naval base, and for Osaka they wish to develop the island of Ajikawa. They do not wish to use the already busy port at Hyogo as they say it will be overcrowded, same for Shimoda, Hakodate, and Kanagawa".

"What about the consulate itself, Naosuke"?

"That is the odd thing, they ask to build a consulate in Kyoto and another main one in Tokyo".

"Why two"?

"They understand that the Shogun does not act without the Emperor and His Highness must have consent on all treaties. They are not aware of how significant the influence of the Bakufu over the Emperor truly is, but of all the barbarians they are far and away the most respectful".

"Truly odd my old friend, are they somehow desperate"?

"They are a smaller barbarian nation, they treat their native subjects as equals and have begun to eliminate slavery from their domains. They also have a reputation as fierce fighters, loyal unto death, and people who would kill for even perceived slights of personal or national honor".

"Yet they employ firearms, do not show proper respect to their warriors, and have little sense of protocol or diplomacy".

"Their nation has existed less than half a lifetime, ours transcends millennia".

Nagano pondered this carefully. "You sound like you wish to send this to the court for consideration".

"I would, the fact that there is no extraterritoriality goes a long way. They have also sent an ambassador who is eager to learn our ways, his name is Paul Hebert, who is also a general in their army. His deputies will man the main consulates, their names are William Wirt, Henry Allen, and Howard Bee. They bring a Dr. Richard Gano with them who wishes to open a Western hospital here at some point, he is most interested in discussing our ways of medicine".

"Be careful not to be blinded by optimism, Naosuke. We are only just opening up to the world after a very long time in isolation and many wish to return to that. Whether from Texas or Persia or wherever else they may come from, the Westerners are all to be treated with great care".

"I understand my old friend, hence why I wanted to speak with you. My enthusiasm might override my better judgment in this case and I wanted your thoughts".

"If they can realistically provide us with some benefit, certainly. The notion of making their people follow local laws certainly sets a wonderful precedent. I would bring it up to the remainder of the Bakufu for their input, but it actually sounds interesting. Be careful about their 'leasing' territory though, I think that will prove much more problematic than you believe. You might ask them to pick *one* location to develop as theirs before sending this to council. I might ask about Sakurajima Island specifically, it is not in the Satsuma domain nor is it so close to the heart of the Empire".

"But it's an active volcano".

"Which is why of every place you mention on the list it just might be the one the Bakufu permits them to lease".

July 21, 1861

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Lord Palmerston was reviewing and updating the 'Historical Cases', code for invasion plans and military scenarios for various nations around the world. The names of the cases had little to do with the actual plans, if nothing the codes often referred to very opposite countries from the names used. "So in summary, Lord Russell, by working with the Prussians and Kingdom of Italy regarding the French it may be possible to neutralize them from three different directions. Prussia would receive Luxembourg and Alsace, Italy would get Corsica and Savoy, and we would take the Caribbean colonies, French Guiana, and their concessions in China and Japan".

Foreign secretary Earl John Russell had already been Prime Minister, but it was Palmerston who had delivered the devastating Treaty of Annapolis and 'revenged' the Colonials for their humiliation of the Empire in 1783. Hence why he had been Prime Minister for ten of the last thirteen years. "That should conclude Case Blenheim. And now onto the last of these, 'Case Agincourt'. I presume this involves North America as it is the last major nation on our list"? Case Yorktown involved Russia, Case Plessey involved Prussia, Case Hastings involved Italy, Case Trafalgar involved Austria, Case Waterloo involved the Ottomans, Case Louistown involved the Empire of Brasil, Case Armada involved Norway-Denmark and Sweden (common word had it they were proposing a union as the Kingdom of Scandinavia), Case Crecy involved the Netherlands with and without Belgium, and Case Blenheim had been in regards to France.

"This is our plan for the dismemberment of the United States and afterwards the Republic of Mexico".

"Ambitious, Mr. Prime Minister".

"You are familiar with our most recent map of the area"?

"Yes, the Mexican government has annexed El Salvador, Honduras, and split Guatemala in two. I hear they are also interested in purchasing Belize". Russell noted the changes in the map. "And I suppose if this comes to pass we give it to them"?

"And recognize their planned annexations of Nicaragua and Costa Rica which have already been put to our attention".

"Given the color schema I guess we are also intending to support the breaking off of a Republic of California in light green, an independent Mormon Republic in light brown, a new nation entirely out of Sonora, Chihuahua, and New Mexico, and an enlarged Republic of Texas in red. What is the light green color supposed to be"?

"A gift to the Lakota and any other Native American tribe that cares to partake in a permanent reservation there".

"Looks like we are also planning to take over the rest of Maine as part of New Ireland along with other territories from the United States".

"I plan to do the following: Everything west of the Great Lakes above 44 degrees fifty minutes will become British as the Territory of Wellington. Everything north of the Erie and Oswego Canals along with Vermont, New Hampshire, and the remainder of Maine will be unified as a Territory of British Georgia. Indeed, the Mexicans will be tasked with taking the western Territories of the United States and the Texans with New Orleans and the western Mississippi. We will take Cuba for ourselves. I then plan to offer the seven Southern-most states independence. The northeastern rump from Philadelphia to Boston will be encouraged to secede as they once tried to do during the War or 1812 though I doubt it will work. If nothing else we can at least sew the seeds of that revolution. Finally that leaves a rump United States probably based out of Chicago or Saint Louis. We then allow Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, southern Missouri, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware a plebiscite as to whether or not to join any of these nations that they so choose, perhaps some even decide to join Texas as their Secretary of War Jefferson Davis reportedly suggested should slavery be banned. The Potomac will likely serve as a new border as might the Ohio River".

Russell was aghast. "There is no way they would accept these terms, Henry. We would have to devastate the country so badly as not to permit a reasonable recovery and might incur the wrath of everyone involved".

Palmerston smiled briefly. "I intend to sew the seeds of hatred between the nations by using the plebiscite to push our own desired boundaries while making the other nations believe each other responsible. They will be at war with each other sooner or later and we can manipulate them as we would chess pieces. Eventually I would hope we could resume de facto or de jure control of the continent, but I will not live to see it".

"Then turn around and shatter Mexico while giving them Belize, Honduras, and Costa Rica? Do you not think they will seek revenge, and if they figure this out ally with at least one of the inheritor nations of the United States"?

"No, I think they will be consumed in civil war trying to reclaim their own territories. Without California, Sonora, and the Mormon regions, Mexico runs a tremendous deficit. We will then reclaim those pieces we want buy selling arms all across the continent".

Russell could hardly believe that the Prime Minister had even drawn this up, much less had any intention of seeing something like this executed. Dismantling Russia's armed forces during the Crimean War must have given him delusions of grandeur. "There is probably no way we could do this. Even with several thousand troops, we could occupy several cities, but the hinterland would remain beyond our control. We would also incur significant losses of our own Navy which would open us up to possible attack by other powers".

"You are familiar with the new Warrior-class ironclads, yes"?

"Ironclads are new and untested, besides they are only capable of so much artillery and shore-strike capacity..."

"We have three more under construction and five more planned. They will be finished in approximately 24 months, giving us a total of ten. All equipped with rifled breech-loading artillery pieces up to 3500 yards, possibly 4000, including the newer Martin-shots".

Russell nearly lost his breath. "This is not just a contingency plan, is it? If you mean to go through with this the Martin-shots cause damage that could not be taken back, the casualties..."

"...will be horrific, yes. First we aid Mexico and Texas in taking New Orleans to strangle commerce, then they will head for Vicksburg and Mobile, then St. Louis and if possible Savannah and/or Nashville. We will initiate an invasion of the Midwest via Detroit and another of the East Coast via Halifax. We will crush the American fleet then shell Boston, then New York, then Philadelphia, then Baltimore, then burn Washington to ashes again. And this time we will not stop until they yield".

"What you propose is at best a far grab. There is no way to ensure that it works. Yes, we have the advantage; yes, we will have the newer warships. and yes, the slavery issue divides them. Yes, the Texans have made it clear they want and eastern border on the Mississippi if not the Chattahoochee, and yes the Mexicans would want nothing more than to take down the United States another peg".

"My thoughts exactly, Lord Russell".

"But look at the downside, sir. This creates a single nation running from the Columbia River to Panama, from the Pacific to just shy of the Mississippi to the entire eastern half of the Caribbean. If they unite, they pose a threat to our other holdings in North America. This also permanently antagonizes the rest of English-speaking North America against us, and whether we get two, three, or half a dozen nations out of what was the United States. And then turning on one of our allies and carving them up like a steak? Forgive me sir, but they call us 'Perfidious Albion' in jest for a reason, this would give them a reason to do so. And that is if all goes well".

"What do you mean, 'if all goes well'"?

"Well sir, what if the Mexicans catch wind of this, or the Texans who would shed blood for land they would have no rights to...or heaven forbid, somehow the Americans win"?

Case Agincourt Planned Results.jpg

Nice update very ambitious on Palmerston's part, for the map can you give a guide to what is what. Not sure what all the coloured territories are.

Last edited:
Current Map of the Situation in North America - 1860

This would be the 'current' map Russell and Palmerston see at in the above post. Dark blue are US states and the mid-shade blue in the West are US territories. Texas is in Red, the light green area is a 'special status' area of Alta California for gold miners and the international crowd there, the state capital is now San Francisco. Brown is the 'Special Status Area', or Mormon Territory, which is still loyal to Mexico City on paper. Pink is the UK/Canada, where Corn Laws are still in effect and the population lacks a 'Responsible Government' at the local level. The United States has acquired the Dominican Republic as a territory as it applied for admission to the Union in return for debt alleviation, explanation is pending in the next post.

Alamo 1860c.jpg

Interesting, so at this point at least not sea to sea for the U.S. and the slave states have not separated. The U.S. is looking somewhat vulnerable but certainly has much potential left. So Cuba is U.S.?

Yes, Cuba was bought by the US about the time of the Ostend Manifesto in OTL, 1854. The US bought it and looked to buy Puerto Rico but that did not work out. And the potential for the US is quite potent. The color references are listed in the main post with the map.

September 17, 1862

William Seward was in the midst of his second year as President of the United States. His term was thus far noted for a few significant successes, most notably the Taney Act that allowed for slavery to be reconciled in the Congress. The failure to expand into Texas had meant that the sixteen free states continued to outnumber the fifteen slave states but with the Kansas and Nebraska set to be admitted as States, that gap would increase to three and the 116 electoral votes in the South could be facing over 200 electoral votes in opposition. Seward loathed the institution of slavery but saw no way to be rid of it at the present time, the American economy was drive by cotton and textiles, without them much of the nation would become depressed. That money was also funding the new Office of Naval Research among others, which was how Seward made his way to East Rock Island, Illinois, where the very first railroad bridge across the Mississippi was built six years prior. His ride across the river was smooth, the Rock Island Arsenal awaited an inspection and its new factory floor was certainly reported to be impressive. With him was the Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles, Secretary of War Winfield Scott, and the newly created Chief of Staff Robert E Lee. His interest in the Prussian model of military organization had led to lobbying for the creation of such an office with eight internal departments and thorough resources for both an overhaul of the army itself and a research branch to investigate newer technologies. Seward and Lee had various points of disagreement, but like most of the country, they shared a desire to see revenge placed on the United Kingdom and believed that the potential dissolution of the Union for any reason would make North America the 'chessboard of European potentates and Empires', as Secretary of State Lincoln had so notably phrased it.

"Mr. President, as a professional soldier I was at first taken aback by the proposals for this project. My experience is on land, but artillery makes sense to me so the idea for the Jackson-class frigates and Washington-class coastal and river monitors made sense. The more radical Adams-class ships were a bit of a surprise once the prototype was built, especially because of the waterline merely six inches below her top deck".

Seward looked about as the men rode ever-closer on the train. "And you say this concept was pioneered centuries ago in Italy"?

"Yes sir, the first ideas came from reports of ancient Roman shipyards in the upper Tiber and later Venetian methods in the northern Adriatic. Rock Island is but one stop the vessels make, the trains bring steel from Pennsylvania en masse and the hulls are to be made here. The next part of the report is confidential and is not to be repeated beyond the Cabinet and the designated officials listed in the report I gave you two days ago. We fit guns to the ships at the Western Arsenal in St. Louis which are made there but production will start here soon enough. Crew will train on the Lower Mississippi and Chesapeake Bay before being permitted to handle the boats on their own, already we have been training crew for several boats".

Scott spoke next, "I agree with Mr. Lee about the ideas in place here. This process allows us to mass-produce smaller vessels in large quantities quickly in protected harbors. Our newest guns are breech-loaders, we are working to replicate the same ideas as the Volcanic Model 2 Rifle and Spencer Rifle to naval cannonry, including the shape of the shell along with the pre-packaged round. Alternatively we have also worked on a basic shell with powder placed behind it and the breech sealed at that point".

Seward was aware of these developments, the promise of heavy artillery in the form of 11-inch cannons on the Jackson and Adams class along with 8-inch guns on the Washington class were inspiring. Essentially they had taken Armstrong breech-loaders and copied them with a few improvements, namely separating the powder stores from the gun itself to prevent explosions and using a higher-strength steel to permit longer-range shots, so far up to 4500 yards. "The guns sound excellent, you mentioned rotating turrets in the report, Mr. Lee".

"Yes sir, the guns are placed in pairs in each of the Washington-class two rotating turrets and three turrets of the Adams and Jackson-class. Loading is done via elevator from the decks below, turning is done by large chains attached to the motor but can also be done by the crew if needed".

"Excellent, let's talk about propulsion. What is the 'screw propeller' you mentioned"?

"In essence think of a corkscrew that has fins at one end, as it turns a churning motion is created in the water that permits higher speeds regardless of wind. We try to use anthracite coal to prevent smoke in the exhaust, but it is not easy to come by".

Seward thought about that and began to smile. There were some truly nasty surprises almost ready for the next war. "What is its top speed"?

"We think right now about 8 knots, we are refining the steam engine and hope to get a top speed of 12 knots before true mass production begins, the prototype of a so-called double-expansion and a triple-expansion steam engine are currently underway".

"Why are the engines still in testing"?

"The vessel prototypes currently use side-lever marine steam engines, they are not the fastest and we want to minimize upgrades and fuel consumption. The expansion engines cut fuel use by about half".

'Spar Torpedoes' had also been on the list for discussion but Seward was not interested in hearing about 'explosives tied at the end of large sticks'. Likewise for hand-powered submarines, thus a model was being built that ran on compressed air and a small engine. "And we also have three types of small arms to discuss"?

"Yes sir, the Spencer Rifle Company has developed a repeating rifle with seven metallic cartridges per tube fed from the back of the rifle, its effective range is about 500 yards. Our buyout of his patent was most generous but he finds his work here limiting, we are keeping a close eye on him. Our Volcanic Model 60 Rifle is only about half as powerful but holds twice the ammunition per tube, we are finishing work on a more powerful load for the gun. Last but not least is the 'Mule', derived from the Dreyse Needle Gun and English Whitworth Rifle and built by a Lt Colonel Greene and refined by us. It uses a bolt action in four turns to load a very powerful bullet into the chamber, the opening of the bolt ejects the prior round. So far it only holds one round at a time, but we are working on a ten-round magazine system that should accelerate the time between firings".

"How powerful is the round"?

"We call it a .50-70, meaning a .50 caliber bullet using 70 grains of powder, or about two to three times what is normally used. We are also looking at a .45-70..."

"In English, Mr. Lee"?

"It will knock you on your duff if you're not careful, and practical range is about 1,000 yards in all tests so far".

"Did you say one thousand yards, Mr. Lee"?

"Yes sir, one thousand yards".

Seward looked to be in shock. "Start production of the Volcanic once the ammunition testing is over then focus on the magazine-fed version of the Greene Rifle with whichever ammunition works best for it. And when testing is complete initiate production at once along with stockpiling of ammunition. You also said you could demonstrate its effectiveness at the firing range"?

"Yes sir, please let me introduce our local ordinance officer-in-charge Lt. Colonel Thomas Jackson and his new rifle expert Second Lieutenant George Custer..."

August, 1864

"He said, 'We do not hire Americans for purposes involving British security', so send him away". The larger man proved quite insistent as the American engineer tried repeatedly to inquire about developing a new type of breech-loading rifle derived from the Pattern 1853 to the British Government. Palmerston insisted that they could rely on British innovations alone or to take (steal) whatever innovations they wanted from elsewhere. "I know that we are working on such things ourselves, why would we want to use an American to do what we can do for ourselves? Suppose we are successful, what stops him from going straight back to the United States and simply giving them such a weapon as well"?

George Ripon had become Secretary of War for Palmerston at age 36 by being utterly pragmatic. He failed to understand the Prime Minister's near-obsessive desire for vengeance among the former colonies known as the United States but knew of the need to modernize the military forces of the Royal Navy and Marines, the pattern 1853 was certainly a fine weapon but the development of 'combination cartridges' with primers, casings, and powder together with the bullet meant that someday someone would figure out how to develop a weapon with much faster firing potential. Ripon had seen the Americans try something like this many years ago with the Hall rifle, but the newer cartridges would make such a possibility much more plausible. "I would like to talk to this Jacob Snider, where is he now"?

The burly sergeant hung his head a bit. "He left for Philadelphia this morning, saying he would press his claims as he was promised money for the gun. Order came direct from Palmerston not to buy it, he changed his mind about half an hour later and asked that we just take the gun to examine it. We missed the clipper by about five minutes".

Ripon shook his head. "What is the name of the ship"?

"Her registry lists the ship as the Amazon, but she just got new owners that call her the Mary Celeste. Do you want to have any of our available ships to pursue this Mary Celeste, milord"?

Ripon pondered seriously about that. Palmerston had already threatened war with Austria over the 'Danish Question', the rise of Prussia and Austria acting together was of grave concern. Needle guns 'acquired' by Britain were still being refined into better system but so far with little consistent progress. Britain had her navy, the two Warrior-class and two Defence-class ironclads leading the way with the HMS Achilles and two Hector-class already nearing completion. The ever-expanding capability of steam engines and steel mills were producing ever-larger behemoths of the sea, Ripon wondered where they would top out one day. "Contact Somerset and see about which ships would be available, and make haste sergeant. I do not know why Palmerston delayed or changed his mind, but we would very much like to examine Snider's work".

"I asked someone in his office in case the question came up. We have the HMS Eurydice, but she just had some trouble after a storm recently. She is the fastest ship available".

September 1864

Lincoln read the report on the new rifle at his desk in disbelief. A 'twisted' cartridge of .45 caliber with an entire bullet gripping the rifling would make for a fearsome weapon while the lever-action allowed for 12 rounds 'in the pipe as it were. A British warship had stopped literally inside American waters in pursuit of the Marie Celeste bearing Joseph Snider and a prototype means of converting rifle-muskets to breech-loading falling block rifles. Snider noted a Whitworth rifle and Henry Rifle while onboard, passing the time he had combined the designs into the prototype that laid before Lincoln now. It's astonishing range was complicated by the presence of a British ironclad in the Chesepeake Bay, her men furious and pondering what to do as the President did the same...