An Italy called Rome. . .

So, here's a question. . . with a 19th century POD, can we have a unified Italy called Rome or the Roman Republic, or the Roman Empire, or the United Roman Provinces or something of that sort?

reformer said:
So, here's a question. . . with a 19th century POD, can we have a unified Italy called Rome or the Roman Republic, or the Roman Empire, or the United Roman Provinces or something of that sort?
Boubtful. Italy was "reunited" before it even had Rome.

I'd imagine that for Italy to end up as Nova Roma or whatever they choose to call it you'd at least need Rome joining up during the unification, instead of the Papacy maintaining a rump state under French protection for ten years after the unification.

As for the viability of a Roman Republic in the 19th Century, there actually was one, though it only lasted for a few months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic_(19th_century)

I imagine if things had gone diferentely it is quite possible that the Republic could have survived, and taken advantage of the general madness of 1848 to unify Italy.

Xen

Banned
Romagna

Hmmm perhaps if the Roman Republic suceeded in unifying Italy, we would see today the Republic of Romagna in its place. Of course something I have always been intrested in is a Bonapartist Italy, or in this case Romagna. Perhaps the Bourbons are able to maintain control of France, and Napoleon III goes to Italy instead, or maybe Napoleon I does, I dunno thats sort of out of my league.

could there be a drive for unity coming from the Pope? I know it's a bit unlikely but could we see such a 'Italy' being referred to as Rome?

Or how about something along the lines of the German Confederation, known as the Roman Federation?

However I do like the idea of the 'Restored Roman Republic', perhaps with the Pope as Consul for life? :)

Faeelin

Banned
I can't see it. I'm sorry guys, but Italians aren't that madly in love with their Roman heritage. They're Italians, not Romans.

Xen

Banned
Faeelin said:
I can't see it. I'm sorry guys, but Italians aren't that madly in love with their Roman heritage. They're Italians, not Romans.

Theres one possible pod, Italians, like the Greeks are proud and in love with their Roman heritage, and want to recapture it in the form of a new nation. :p

Faeelin

Banned
Xen said:
Theres one possible pod, Italians, like the Greeks are proud and in love with their Roman heritage, and want to recapture it in the form of a new nation. :p

Ya, but the Greeks were part of the Roman Empire until their conquest by the Turks, which helps to explain their fascination with Byzantium.

You're forgetting a Mr. Mussolini. I could see a successful Fascist empire (North Africa and the Balkans likely) officially calling itself the Nova Roman Empire, in similar propagandistic tones to Japan's Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. Speaking of which, the Roman Republic coin at Wikipedia looks like something the Fascists would have pressed:

597px-Repubblica_Romana_-_3_baiocchi_1849.jpg