An Examination of Extra-Universal Systems of Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 108228

Hugbox technically diverged in the 90s. There's a moratorium on current politics outside polchat, and ignoring it very nearly ended the Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes thread. I don't want to bring mod attention on this lovely thread, and to be honest what you've posted is already pushing it.

Sry, I'll stop

Deleted member 108228

Bengal independent but not West Pakistan, so pre-1948. But I have no idea on how the more powerful part of Malaysia ended up in Indonesia...

So the idea is that Pakistan declares war on India, and was conquered, and East Pakistan declared independence, as the Bengali Islamic Republic, a state known for it's radical Islamism and brutality, and West Pakistan didn't develop a strong identity and was absorbed, and India decentralized to a US-esque manner. Malaya was absorbed by the Dutch East Indies, as the White Rajas stayed in Sarawak, and the British sold it to the Dutch after the war

Deleted member 108228

The furthest bastion of Christendom: the Philippine Islands! Where the Santo Niño was the last and greatest of our pagan gods before the Conversion! :p

The real champion of farthest bastion of Christendom goes toooooooooo..........New Zealand!

I have a fun idea for a scenario but won't be able to properly write it in the next week or so: Confucian theocratic China with the Duke Yansheng as its monarch and a structure quite similar to modern Iran, with a council made up of Confucian teachers (nominated by the Duke Yansheng) forming a clear majority (and about 45 percent of it comprising of officials nominated by universities and the supreme court) which inspects candidates up for election for their validity; a cultural police enforcing things like appropriate attire or fining people for littering or being too loud in public... That sorta stuff

In terms of territory that "Righteous State of China" covers mainland China excluding Xinjiang, Tibet, most of Qinghai, Sichuan (and Chongqing), the Shanghai International Settlement, Yunnan, Guzhou, Hunan, Jiangxi, Fujian, Guangdong, and Guangxi. The Shanghai International Settlement still exists, Sichuan and Yunnan are run by warlords that made it, and southern China is the Tangren Republic. All of that would be after the fall of the Qing dynasty.

Does that sound interesting?

Last edited:
Speaking of China, I have this idea last night: an Imperial Japanese remnant state in Formosa (AKA OTL's Taiwan) that was formed from the aftermath of a nuclear Third Sino-Japanese war in the 1990's (mind you this takes in a TL where the French decision to keep fighting in Europe made WWII a stalemate and Hitler killed off in a Valkyrie-esque coup a few years later). What's odd about it is that the remnant state is made up of non-Japanese Asian subjects that consider themselves more Japanese than the post-Imperial Japanese nations and ironically hate other Asians as well, talk about a nation of boomerang bigots.

Deleted member 108228

Speaking of China, I have this idea last night: an Imperial Japanese remnant state in Formosa (AKA OTL's Taiwan) that was formed from the aftermath of a nuclear Third Sino-Japanese war in the 1990's (mind you this takes in a TL where the French decision to keep fighting in Europe made WWII a stalemate and Hitler killed off in a Valkyrie-esque coup a few years later). What's odd about it is that the remnant state is made up of non-Japanese Asian subjects that consider themselves more Japanese than the post-Imperial Japanese nations and ironically hate other Asians as well, talk about a nation of boomerang bigots.

What ethnic groups, we need to be sure that they really think they are Japanese, like the native Aboriginals, and Chinese who live on Formosa

Deleted member 108228

Will the name be like West Japan/Nishinihon or some other name

The French manage to stop the Germans from conquering mainland France (like Blunted Sickle) or the French are driven from Mainland France and manage to fight on from Corsica/Algeria (like FFO). (With the first, it would take work for the Germans to not get their heads handed to them within a few years)

What ethnic groups, we need to be sure that they really think they are Japanese, like the native Aboriginals, and Chinese who live on Formosa
Partly, I have some Koreans and mainland Chinese in mind who are "imported" to the island for "Pan-Asian" causes.
The French manage to stop the Germans from conquering mainland France (like Blunted Sickle) or the French are driven from Mainland France and manage to fight on from Corsica/Algeria (like FFO). (With the first, it would take work for the Germans to not get their heads handed to them within a few years)
More like the first case, with France continuing to fight on, the Allies manage to have a good hold on their colonies in Asia and are less distracted which in turn deter Japan from moving south and instead focus on defeating China (which it fails yet is able to hold on to Inner Mongolia, Manchuria, and parts of Eastern China by the mid-40's) and of course trying to start wars with the USSR.

The Liberian Federation

It is a wet tropical day as I walk through the serene streets of Monrovia. Compared to all other versions of the city, it's a welcoming one: a bustling, cosmopolitan megapolis bursting with life, with countless shops around the corner, all of them full of people or otherwise trying to invite them with flashy neon signs. As I walk, I notice a tall building resembling a Venetian villa, surrounded by walls with numerous palmettos. Looking at my notes, I quickly walk towards the building, and notice a slender man in a purple posh suit and a striped black tie, talking on his phone in a local dialect of French. I immediately recognized him as Shomari Jackson. After finishing his phone conversation, Shomari glances at me. He's ecstatic to see me and shakes my hand eagerly, smiling.

"Greetings, Mr. Chana!" he says in perfect English, "What brings you to my workplace? I didn't expect anyone important to visit, less so from the Nutshell. At first glance it doesn't seem like much, but as a businessman I am very interested in the multiverse."

I stated that I wanted to study Liberia's history, as I found this version of the Liberian nation to be quite interesting. I noted that Shomari Jackson himself was quite unusual, as he had distinctly East African features and a Swahili name in what was a very West African state. When I questioned him about it, he just chuckled before taking a sip from his cup of tea.

"The love of liberty brought my mother here," Shomari said, "My mother, Eunice, pursued a career in Monrovia to escape her dull and oppressive surroundings in Meru, in what was once British Kenya. In the eyes of many Africans, Liberia was a stronghold of peace, a place where all Africans, regardless of tribe or religion, could exercise their rights freely. I can say that it did not dissapoint. After all, she became a businesswoman and met my father."

I look at the map of the world Jackson lives in. I decide to ask him about the history of the Liberian Federation.

"I'd waste no second to tell you about my homeland."

The Liberian Federation is a democratic presidential federal republic, spanning from the Senegal River and its tributary river of Bafing to the southern coast of West Africa. The Federation consists of seven states, which are Senegal, Gambia, Casamance, Mandeland, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia proper. Liberia's history begins with a settlement of the American Colonization Society, which transported free blacks to the territory of Liberia as they believed that the American blacks would face better chances of freedom at their "home continent" of Africa than back in America. Liberia would declare its independence on July 22 of 1847, followed by the British colony of Sierra Leone on February 16 of 1858. Both states were known as the two "Free Black Homelands" in Africa.

For much of the 19th century, Liberia was dominated by the Republican Party, a political party that emphasized decentralization, economic liberalism and progressivism. Although the Americo-Liberians and the Native Liberians had a tenuous history, they were granted the right to vote in 1892, when newly elected President Andrew Jackson Beard, an inventor and economist, issued the Act of Rights for All Liberians. Andrew Jackson Beard is also credited with democratizing the institutions of Liberia, transforming the African republic's one-party system into a multi-party democracy, and integrating the Republic of Sierra Leone into the Liberian state, thus beginning the Liberian Federation.

Liberia was neutral during First World War (1911-1918), in which a Anglo-Russo-French coalition fought and defeated an Amero-German coalition. Liberia, at that point governed by William Henry Ferris of the Nationalist party, came into international prominence when it won the Franco-Liberian War (1919-1921), annexing French Senegal and Guinea in what was considered a highly lopsided war. The results of the war contributed to the French Third Republic's already unstable state, triggering the French Civil War of 1923-1927 and the creation of the French Integralist State, and popularized Liberia in the eyes of Africans, causing mass migration from European colonies to independent Liberia and empowering the anticolonialist movement in Africa. Later in 1936, Liberia would acquire Gambia from Great Britain, completing its expansion and emerging as a regional power.

The future of Liberia would be defined by Liberal politician Marvin Delany, who was President from 1947 to 1955. Promising to fix the Liberian economic crisis of the 1940s, Delany implemented a wide-ranging economic program, which involved strengthening of private businesses and minimization of governmental involvement. The Delany reforms contributed to the Liberian Federation's economic boom and remain in place today.

"For example, my company, 'Jackson & Co', is a floral supplies company. These palmettos that you saw are just a small part of the products that we offer - and trust me, all around the world come to Monrovia to buy our flowers straight from the gardens. And whenever my clients or employees come to the harbor, they can see countless ships from completely different countries being registered by commercial registries. Liberia is the largest flag state in the world, and the revenue which those registries get goes into the Liberian budget. Indeed," Jackson states, smirking, "Liberian companies are so powerful that they have a share in the government, and many employers are also governors. But that's not necessarily a bad thing! If a Liberian works to earn his money, he can be expected to be a good employer and, therefore, a good politician. If he's not, then he will be held accountable, though I can assure you that our crime rate is the lowest in the world - as is our poverty rate."

"It is also a matter of philosophy," Jackson continues, "The Liberian citizen is hard-working, self-reliant and perseverant, and his labour is justly rewarded. That is why, even more so than those tyrannical fiefdoms in North America, we follow the three undeniable truths: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

I thank him for his conversation and leave the premises, though I am uncertain if Shomari provided an accurate account of the Liberian state. I wanted a second opinion, and I found it in a different part of the Federation. In a dusty café in Zwedru, I met Josiah Dalieh, a Liberian farmer and labor activist. I asked him about his sentiment in regards to the Liberian Federation and its policies.

"Oh, so you've met one of those businessmen in Monrovia," Josiah mutters grimly, "they talk a lot about how Liberia is an abode of liberty, but they tend to gloss over a lot of things. See, there are few regulations for big business here in Liberia, and some companies, like those working in the pharmaceutical industry, have been receiving incentives to operate in Monrovia since the 1990s. President Sowell and his supporters called it 'healthcare improvement', but unless you want to sell powder and marijuana unchecked it isn't really that positive for our healthcare system. And that's not even talking about the arms traders, hah... Detractors say that our nation hosts the global black market for a reason."

I questioned him further regarding Liberia's low crime rate.

"Of course, of course. Liberal economists pride our nation's 'highly competitive' economy as the source of Liberia's success. One could say it's a little too competitive," Josiah says, chuckling darkly, "Since the 2000s, shootouts between rival company employees have spiked, as have extrajudicial killings - consider the 2006 Spartacus Hotel incident, for example. The mainstream news channels don't get too deep in it, obviously enough - the big corporations form the backbone of the economy and the Liberal government, so they can do anything - kill dozens of people, even - and the Liberals will sweep it under the rug."

"Now, about poverty..." Josiah continues, "In Liberia, everyone works for one company or another, and it is deemed that anyone who is unemployed is either poor, lazy, or a pirate. The poverty census doesn't quite count people who are employed, due to a number of loopholes in the law. The census takers tend to overlook a lot of things, like crime and death, and the Liberal bosses are perfectly happy about that, knowing that the status quo will be maintained even as dozens of young men engage in shootouts. But, with the recent economic recession," Josiah remarks, "I believe that the Liberals' stranglehold will be broken in the next election, and Liberian democracy - and liberty for which it is was once famed - will flourish once more!"

liberia.png

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
Strange that Josiah should claim that the lack of regulation causes a huge black market. That makes no sense! Black markets are illegal markets. If there's few regulations, few things are illegal, making the black market tiny. (For example: prohibition leads to bootlegging, ending prohibition ends bootlegging...) It would make more sense for him to say that because there are so few regulations, Liberia has become a free haven to all sorts of business that's legal there, but outlawed elsewhere (arms trade, narcotics...)

Regardless of such imperfections, however, this Liberia sounds like a success story. Flawed, like every real(istic) society, but so much better off than OTL.

Strange that Josiah should claim that the lack of regulation causes a huge black market. That makes no sense! Black markets are illegal markets. If there's few regulations, few things are illegal, making the black market tiny. (For example: prohibition leads to bootlegging, ending prohibition ends bootlegging...) It would make more sense for him to say that because there are so few regulations, Liberia has become a free haven to all sorts of business that's legal there, but outlawed elsewhere (arms trade, narcotics...)

Regardless of such imperfections, however, this Liberia sounds like a success story. Flawed, like every real(istic) society, but so much better off than OTL.
I presumed he meant that they're hosting the global black market; IE, people come to Liberia to buy stuff that is illegal in most countries. Stuff like drugs, guns, endangered animal parts, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.