An American Oddity Mk. II

Should I restart An American Oddity?

• Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
An American Oddity was my first TL on this site and it ran from December 2019 to May 2020. I eventually killed the TL off for what I saw as a lack of interest. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me restarting the TL, with a few changes. For those not familiar with AAO, the POD is after the Seven-years-war when Britain begins to integrate Quebec to the level of a colony as, say, New Hampshire or North Carolina. Quebec is given the same treatment as the colonies to the South if not harsher, such as Britain giving an extra tax to colonial Catholics, among other things. The 14 colonies (as well as other parts of British North America) become independent. The rest I cannot say, although you may re-read the original AAO. However, I have several changes in mind for the earliest parts of the TL, ranging from territory to the governing style. I've put up a poll for 2 weeks, and if I get a sizable number of people to say they want a redo, I'll restart AAO.

if you restart you can have Nova Scotia join in too and maybe have Prince John Island Join in too it was at St. John Island because there was resentment because the people working the land couldn't get ownership of the land that they had been working on before King George loyalist were given titles. I am actually planning on doing timeline but I always have trouble sitting down and writing it. So I have some Ideas if want them and you want any help I would be willing to help you.

if you restart you can have Nova Scotia join in too and maybe have Prince John Island Join in too it was at St. John Island because there was resentment because the people working the land couldn't get ownership of the land that they had been working on before King George loyalist were given titles. I am actually planning on doing timeline but I always have trouble sitting down and writing it. So I have some Ideas if want them and you want any help I would be willing to help you.
Part of the plan as well as Upper Canada and Quebec. I'd be very open to you going ideas. The territorial reductions are me scaling it down from North America north of the Tropic of Cancer (which, I admit in hindsight, is ASB). If you'd be up to it, I could collaborate with you on ideas and I'll do the writing, but we share the credit.
Do what you want to do...
I could, I'm just trying to gauge interest (it's disappointing when 19 of the 20 posts per page are TL chapters

Part of the plan as well as Upper Canada and Quebec. I'd be very open to you going ideas. The territorial reductions are me scaling it down from North America north of the Tropic of Cancer (which, I admit in hindsight, is ASB). If you'd be up to it, I could collaborate with you on ideas and I'll do the writing, but we share the credit.
sounds good to me

Not really no. But it is why we have the ignore button. Write what you want and if Canada gets sucked into the vortex of evil Canadians just tap.out.

CHAPTER I
CHAPTER I
END OF THE SEVEN YEAR'S WAR AND TURMOIL IN THE COLONIES

1593550582013.png
October 1760 was not a good month for the Royal Family of Britain. The nation was at war, and although winning, the Treasuries funds were being drained. On top of this, King George II’s health was at risk. He was blind in one eye and hard of hearing. His physician began to direct the King to stop drinking hot drinks and put the King on a diet that was designed to extend the monarch’s life. The King’s grandson began to prepare to ascend to the throne. However, in late October, George II began to miraculously recover. Prime Minister Pitt commented on the night-and day difference in his memoirs:

Monarch George the Second, our beloved King, was a sickly man in October of One-Thousand, seven hundred and sixty in the year of our Lord. His condition improved at such a rapid rate beginning around the 25th it was as if the Hand of God stretched forth and touched the beloved monarch of Britain. We were truly blessed from it.
-Prime Minister William Pitt the Elder

King George II and Pitt the Elder had been creating a peace deal through 1761 and in December 1762, they proposed it to the French. The French, ravaged by the war, stalled but accepted in September 1763. The war ended with all of French America in British hands, except for Louisiana which was given to Spain. Canada, the newly exchanged province, initially was governed by Lord Amherst, a war hero, but the governing position was later given to James Murray.

The war had drained the British treasury, and taxation was already at an all-time high on the streets of London. It didn’t help that despite having such huge amounts of sugar from the formerly French as well as British Caribbean, colonists smuggled sugar in from Spain. The dark market that grew didn’t only start in the British colonies, but the defeated French began to excessively pirate sugar from the British Caribbean. George II died in October 1761, and George III took power. One of his first acts in 1762 was to limit colonial expansion, to divert colonists to Nova Scotia and Florida. This sparked outrage. This permanently put the Colonists of King George III’s bad side. The King and Parliament also began to pass taxes in 1763 on the colonies, the most notable being the Sugar Tax and Non-Anglican Tax. The Sugar Tax cut the six-pence tax on sugar to four-pence, and also made it a felony to smuggle sugar from the Spanish Caribbean. The Non-Anglican Tax came during the First Great Awakening, possibly the worst time. While famous preachers such as Jonathan Edwards and George Whitefield were preaching in the colonies, all non-Anglicans, which was most of the population outside the Southern colonies, had to pay a 20-pence yearly tax for not being a part of the state church. This caused in 1763, large riots to break out in major urban areas like Montreal, Boston, and Philadelphia. The situation was escalating fast, and King George III and all of Britain and the world knew that the Legacy of the King depended on keeping these colonies from starting a revolution that could undo all British advances.

CHAPTER II
CHAPTER II
EUROPEAN JEALOUSY AND COLONIAL RIOTS

The sentiment in Europe was not in favor of the British. The French, Spanish and Austrians were in rage about the Anglo-Prussian victory. The Prussians felt isolated by the British. The Prussians felt used. King Louis XVI began in 1764 banning British goods. Soon, Spain, the Netherlands, and Austria followed suit in 1765. In 1766, Prussia and all remaining continental nations save Portugal only had placed an embargo on British goods.

The economic conditions in London were worrisome. The only source of income for the merchants now was the colonies. London also was strapped for cash, and the double-digit taxes in the Isles weren’t cutting it. Soon, London passed the Colonial Taxation Act of 1864, which taxed all items imported from Britain 15% and if any colonists imported goods from other European nations or colonies, they would be fined triple the value of the contraband goods.

The uproar in the colonies was massive. In June 1765 (When the Tax went into effect), riots consumed Montreal and Boston. Led by James Livingston and Samuel Adams, the New England-Canadian riots began to spread throughout the colonies. The Massachusetts Colonial Legislature nulled the British laws and declared themselves the Republic of Massachusetts. The British quickly put down the rebellion in 1766, but rioting could not be stopped.

Meanwhile, the French and Spanish began plotting to get vengeance against the British. They wanted to target the British North American holdings, but they knew they could not fight the British at the current time; the French and Spanish had racked up debt. But, Spain had a newfound power. The Continental Embargo put Spain in a neo-Monopoly on New World goods. Spain began to economically recover from the war.

Last edited:
CHAPTER II
EUROPEAN JEALOUSY AND COLONIAL RIOTS

The sentiment in Europe was not in favor of the British. The French, Spanish and Austrians were in rage about the Anglo-Prussian victory. The Prussians felt isolated by the British. The Prussians felt used. King Louis XVI began in 1764 banning British goods. Soon, Spain, the Netherlands, and Austria followed suit in 1865. In 1866, Prussia and all remaining continental nations save Portugal only had placed an embargo on British goods.

The economic conditions in London were worrisome. The only source of income for the merchants now was the colonies. London also was strapped for cash, and the double-digit taxes in the Isles weren’t cutting it. Soon, London passed the Colonial Taxation Act of 1864, which taxed all items imported from Britain 15% and if any colonists imported goods from other European nations or colonies, they would be fined triple the value of the contraband goods.

The uproar in the colonies was massive. In June 1865 (When the Tax went into effect), riots consumed Montreal and Boston. Led by James Livingston and Samuel Adams, the New England-Canadian riots began to spread throughout the colonies. The Massachusetts Colonial Legislature nulled the British laws and declared themselves the Republic of Massachusetts. The British quickly put down the rebellion in 1766, but rioting could not be stopped.

Meanwhile, the French and Spanish began plotting to get vengeance against the British. They wanted to target the British North American holdings, but they knew they could not fight the British at the current time; the French and Spanish had racked up debt. But, Spain had a newfound power. The Continental Embargo put Spain in a neo-Monopoly on New World goods. Spain began to economically recover from the war.
I think you got the years wrong. It should be the 1700s, unless I'm missing something. Other than that, an interesting TL.