An American Dr Who

Although many ways quintessentially British, I was thinking the other day ''what if Dr Who was a US series?'' Never a big Dr Who fan myself though, preferring Outer Limits and Twilight Zone despite being British.

So which US / Canadian actors could've filled the role on US television?

One actor that instantly springs to mind is Christopher Lloyd.

I suppose the TARDIS would have to be something else other than a British Police phone box too.

I'm not sure how open an American audience would be to the whole "variable main actor" thing.

Can anyone tell me how that was first received by the Brits?

I'm not sure how open an American audience would be to the whole "variable main actor" thing.

Can anyone tell me how that was first received by the Brits?

I'm a bit too young to remember, but judging from subsequent regenerations, there were probably a number of fans who said that he wasn't as good as the previous Doctor :D. More seriously, the series was well established before the concept of Regeneration was introduced. BBC Drama in the Sixties had something of a feel of repertory theatre, where replacing actors in a long running show was quite acceptable.

It's not as if American Series didn't sometimes do something similar - Dick Sargent replacing Dick York in Bewitched, for example.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Although many ways quintessentially British, I was thinking the other day ''what if Dr Who was a US series?''

That depends on whether your POD is (A)the original BBC series never gets made or (B)one of the U.S. TV networks cuts a deal with the Beeb to adapt the show for U.S. audiences.

I'm a bit too young to remember, but judging from subsequent regenerations, there were probably a number of fans who said that he wasn't as good as the previous Doctor :D. More seriously, the series was well established before the concept of Regeneration was introduced. BBC Drama in the Sixties had something of a feel of repertory theatre, where replacing actors in a long running show was quite acceptable.

It's not as if American Series didn't sometimes do something similar - Dick Sargent replacing Dick York in Bewitched, for example.

Cheers,
Nigel.

We're talking about more than just a change of actor here.

That depends on whether your POD is (A)the original BBC series never gets made or (B)one of the U.S. TV networks cuts a deal with the Beeb to adapt the show for U.S. audiences.

Good question. Realistically, the latter as Dr Who is a classic British eccentric. Some of the actors mentioned such as Christopher Lloyd, Gene Wilder and Vincent Price would fit in well.

That said, I can see the Americans perhaps having a female doctor before the British (Although I think Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders were female names tossed into the hat at one point). A strong possibility of a black American doctor as well had it survived into the 2000's.

What exactly would the Blue Police Box TARDIS be replaced with?

In a thread from (I think) 2011 or 2012 someone suggested an Airstream trailer. I'd say it'd be a good choice: they're cheap (so the production team has it easy) and pretty common too (so the in-universe explanation of "blending in" works).

marathag

Banned
Nah,

Winnebago

135889304110079.jpg

Outside of daytime soaps, same character/different actor in main roles are and rarely successful, especially with main characters. Darrin on Bewitched is more the exception. Replacing an actor after the pilot (example, DJ on Roseanne) or in a reunion movie (Ginger in the Gilligan's Island tv movies) , or recurring characters played by different actors is common.

An actor leaving the role of a main character on a US show usually means the character is written out and a new character is introduced. With a title character, it usually means the end of the show

Even more recent examples involving major supporting characters, like Becky on Roseanne or Aunt Viv on Fresh Prince, were joked about on the show.

That said, i don't think it would have had the same longevity. Science fiction has had a hard time on US television. Maybe strictly as a kids show, but then it would be either Saturday morning or syndicated.

Driftless

Donor
Nah,

Winnebago

135889304110079.jpg

Winner!....

the alternative might be a Checker Cab, though that would have worked better mid 20th century than it does now.
8095298433_615c2f3a74_z.jpg

Christopher Lloyd would perfect jumping out of the drivers door; and Vincent Price or Gene Wilder from the back.

Sherman Hemsley as a Doctor?
Or Bob Newhart?
Or Ricardo Montalbon?
Or David Ogden Stiers?
Or Kelsey Grammer?
Or Peter Falk?
Or Kathy Bates?
Or Kate Jackson?

Winner!....

the alternative might be a Checker Cab, though that would have worked better mid 20th century than it does now.
8095298433_615c2f3a74_z.jpg

Christopher Lloyd would perfect jumping out of the drivers door; and Vincent Price or Gene Wilder from the back.

Sherman Hemsley as a Doctor?
Or Bob Newhart?
Or Ricardo Montalbon?
Or David Ogden Stiers?
Or Kelsey Grammer?
Or Peter Falk?
Or Kathy Bates?
Or Kate Jackson?

A time-travelling car and Christopher Lloyd? That would probably butterfly away Back to the Future, and that's not a world I want to live in.

A few more

I like the Wilder, Price and Lloyd suggestions a lot. A few more for consideration: Dennis Hopper, Eli Wallach, Robin Williams, John Astin, Burgess Meredith, Eddie Murphy and Danny Devito

I like the Wilder, Price and Lloyd suggestions a lot. A few more for consideration: Dennis Hopper, Eli Wallach, Robin Williams, John Astin, Burgess Meredith, Eddie Murphy and Danny Devito

Two names I'd suggest for a modern US Doctor are Louis C.K. and Danny Pudy. Two totally different takes on the character, but either could work - depending in whether the show-runner wants a gritty but easily exasperated Doctor, or a quirky but almost Aspergers Doctor.