An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Regardless of the outcome of the war, I think that its this war that will now cause the Romans to seriously re-evaluate the military capabilities of the Latin powers in that they have the ability to match them in tactics, generalship.

The Romans are still superior overall, but what this storyline has shown to me is that the Romans major political rivals, Ottoman Persia and now the HRE, have caught up to them in many ways and would never be able to bring the full strength of their armies to bear because they'll always have to keep a substantial force to watch the other. Even if the Romans could concentrate all their strength on the HRE, it seems unlikely they would be able to deal any real crippling blow to the Germans either. They look to be a set up for their two major long-term political rivals that will endure throughout the rest of the Early Modern/Pre Industrial Age

There goes Lazar's legitimacy. That's great for the Romans, because it strengthens the argument that Durad is totally the one with the divine right to rule.

What could these be? Who else is there for him to woo to his side?

Maybe the Ottomans? Highly unlikely given that the Ottomans seem to be focused elsewhere, but if for whatever reason they did decide to turn their gaze back west. Yikes.

Fighting both the HRE and the Ottomans would be nothing short of a disaster for Constantinople.

Theodor's solution to the Serbian surrender is the make them a formal vassal of the Romans? I suppose that's one way to solidify Rhomania's grip on Serbia without much of a fuss, but isn't his goal to diplomatically isolate the two?

Regardless of the outcome of the war, I think that its this war that will now cause the Romans to seriously re-evaluate the military capabilities of the Latin powers in that they have the ability to match them in tactics, generalship.

The Romans are still superior overall, but what this storyline has shown to me is that the Romans major political rivals, Ottoman Persia and now the HRE, have caught up to them in many ways and would never be able to bring the full strength of their armies to bear because they'll always have to keep a substantial force to watch the other. Even if the Romans could concentrate all their strength on the HRE, it seems unlikely they would be able to deal any real crippling blow to the Germans either. They look to be a set up for their two major long-term political rivals that will endure throughout the rest of the Early Modern/Pre Industrial Age

Remember that the generals for the Germans and Ottomans in their victories over the Romans are quite possibly their GOAT generals, particularly Iskander and Blucher (even Vauban), B444 gave them these OTL names for a reason.
And this is against below average Roman generals, it'll be a while until the quantitative advantage the Germans and Triunes have becomes more apparent, all it takes is for another great commander to take the reigns of the Roman Army to turn the tide.

Theodor's solution to the Serbian surrender is the make them a formal vassal of the Romans? I suppose that's one way to solidify Rhomania's grip on Serbia without much of a fuss, but isn't his goal to diplomatically isolate the two?

Roman vassal as in subjects of Theodor Le Emperor of the Unified Roman Empire (parts of which is unfortunately occupied by a few stubborn Romans who haven't been enlightened atm)

Ah, but Theodor is still convinced that he will be Emperor of the Romans once the smoke clears, so he really is just making them vassals to himself, which is good for him if everything turns out as he wants, which it won't, but he's too biased by his own ego to think about that yet.

Roman vassal as in subjects of Theodor Le Emperor of the Unified Roman Empire (parts of which is unfortunately occupied by a few stubborn Romans who haven't been enlightened atm)
Ah, but Theodor is still convinced that he will be Emperor of the Romans once the smoke clears, so he really is just making them vassals to himself, which is good for him if everything turns out as he wants, which it won't, but he's too biased by his own ego to think about that yet.

Oh right that makes much more sense, was confused by the Roman terminology. Demetrios III thanks Theodor for the inadvertent assist.

That Serbian defection is... bad news. That sounds like an opening through the Roman lines. That sounds messy. However, their submission to Theodor ends the chapter of Serbian independence.

I wonder what Demetrios will do with Serbia - leave it independent? Make it a Despotate again? The fate of Serbia is in doubt here.

That Serbian defection is... bad news. That sounds like an opening through the Roman lines. That sounds messy. However, their submission to Theodor ends the chapter of Serbian independence.
Not really..i think most serbs are gona defect to durad

I wonder what Demetrios will do with Serbia - leave it independent? Make it a Despotate again? The fate of Serbia is in doubt here.
that will depend on the relationship between demetrios and durad

Vauban hits it with a grand battery, 98 cannons pounding the Roman lines, overwhelming the 28 Roman guns that try to respond. German assault columns storm forward, taking heavy losses from Roman musketry but the lack of artillery is crucial. Sheer weight of numbers smash through the Roman lines.
What?!? Isn't that OTL Napoleon's move?

Looks like so far the Germans are winning every battle, but they're slowly losing the war. I doubt their reinforcements have the quality and quantity of the Romans.

Looking forward to the war being shaken up, just no Ottoman invasion, surely they've learned their lesson?

I really think that Ibrahim is back West just to try and spook the Romans. The Ottomans are still kneedeep in securing India and surely they've learned their lesson after so many times? Fighting the Romans WILL result in the loss of Eastern gains.

Perhaps all this talk of Napoleon going the navy path is all a big red herring? He's still young enough for a career change....

I really think that Ibrahim is back West just to try and spook the Romans. The Ottomans are still kneedeep in securing India and surely they've learned their lesson after so many times? Fighting the Romans WILL result in the loss of Eastern gains.

Perhaps all this talk of Napoleon going the navy path is all a big red herring? He's still young enough for a career change....

Perhaps - after all, where better than the navy to learn to love the cannon? :D

Have no fear, Demetrios will bump his head reaching for a land reform chrysobull under the desk, and for 6 months be the living embodiment of Timur. Then after the successful campaign season, come home and bed his wife, falling asleep muttering about the honour of Samarkand and versing the Turk.

Only to wake up the next morning wondering where that piece of paper was, and how much the damned cook was spending on spices. Always too much damned cinnamon on his pastries in the morning!

Imagine the puckering in the Turkish court when reports of the Western War come in, of the erudite Roman Emperor leading his armies screaming in Turko-Mongolian.

Have no fear, Demetrios will bump his head reaching for a land reform chrysobull under the desk, and for 6 months be the living embodiment of Timur. Then after the successful campaign season, come home and bed his wife, falling asleep muttering about the honour of Samarkand and versing the Turk.

Only to wake up the next morning wondering where that piece of paper was, and how much the damned cook was spending on spices. Always too much damned cinnamon on his pastries in the morning!
I admit I would not mind seeing Timur reborn and Napoleon team up, I would not mind at all.

Imagine the puckering in the Turkish court when reports of the Western War come in, of the erudite Roman Emperor leading his armies screaming in Turko-Mongolian.

I'm not sure what is more terrifying. The Nerd-Rage, or the suggestion that he hasn't slept for 6 months!

I am curious as to whether House Sideros is going to gather more swords however. I'm pretty sure that having Joyeuse and the Sword of Attila added to the collection wouldn't be a bad start.