An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I wonder what the the far East ships of Lotharingia will do after the mainland is overrun. Many of them will turn to piracy I imagine but I remember some of them favoring Rome, I wonder if some of them will join the Roman fleet which will be beneficial to both sides involved especially for the Romans because they could really use the extra ships right now

All this talk of overextending I’ve realized that @Basileus444 has never actually said he would. Merely that the Ottomans would recover and partially regain lands in a future war.

So I wonder if Ody actually does make the more or less permanent borders in Mesopotamia and North Africa without anything extraordinary but his legend is truly made in RITE. Imagine Ody going east for 5 or 6 years while Athena runs Constantinople in his stead, going from island to island and bringing them all under Roman control. What Ody conquers on land Kalomeros protects on the sea smashing native and European fleets one after the other. Along the way they crack open Eastern Africa and make Roman outposts and squadrons along there to shut out any Western influence.

By the time Ody returns to Constantinople Island Asia is wholly Roman and all other European influence has been driven to India and points west with even that faltering due to Roman/Ethiopian squadrons attacking everything that rounds the Cape

All this talk of overextending I’ve realized that @Basileus444 has never actually said he would. Merely that the Ottomans would recover and partially regain lands in a future war.

So I wonder if Ody actually does make the more or less permanent borders in Mesopotamia and North Africa without anything extraordinary but his legend is truly made in RITE. Imagine Ody going east for 5 or 6 years while Athena runs Constantinople in his stead, going from island to island and bringing them all under Roman control. What Ody conquers on land Kalomeros protects on the sea smashing native and European fleets one after the other. Along the way they crack open Eastern Africa and make Roman outposts and squadrons along there to shut out any Western influence.

By the time Ody returns to Constantinople Island Asia is wholly Roman and all other European influence has been driven to India and points west with even that faltering due to Roman/Ethiopian squadrons attacking everything that rounds the Cape

Would that make the Indian Ocean the Roman Ocean? :p

Vince

Monthly Donor
What I don't understand is why you seem to assume almost for granted that Odysseus will be consumed by some irrational rage. Odysseus is a veteran of the Twelve Days. He has seen rage, has been rage, and knows its effect. He has seen his comrades commit suicide, unable to cope with what remained after the rage of war. He has seen the devastation wreaked upon poor Macedonia. If, as I guess, he has spent his contemplation wisely, he knows what rage can do to him, and why he, the future Emperor, must not be enraged.

He survived the Twelve Days. If anyone can keep a cool head, it is Odysseus Sideros, Kaisar of Rhomania. Any cruelty he shall do, shall be done not in anger, but in calculation.

^Such is my opinion. The author and readers like me may well differ, and I trust I would indeed find a differing interpretation interestingly handled.

He kind of reminds me of Andreas I but in a better way emotionally. Both of them appear to be militaristically inclined Emperors, both had PTSD though Andreas was probably worse (12 days vs the Black Day), both of them have rage issues but both of them have a support network that helps them cope. If anything Ody's support network will probably better when he ascends to the throne as he'll more of his family, his father was around longer and he's much older than Andreas was.

1) How have music, sports and religious art evolved in Europe?
2) Is it possible for Oddyseus to use the spoils from the upcoming Ottoman war to build an even grander church than Hagia Sophia and make it the new seat of the Ecumenical Patriarchate?
3) Have any Orthodox saints been proclaimed isapostolos since St Sava the First?
4) What would the TTL Romans and OTL Ottomans think of each other?

I can't imagine there's any reason to try to replace the Hagia Sofia. Especially given that we know Odysseus hates Constantinople. Likely he'd be more inclined to spend that money somewhere he actually likes. Really though he strikes me as the type to use the spoils to fund further wars.

Honestly, I can see him using war spoils to solidify the Empires defences with modernised fortifications and other military projects - but one side project I can see would be a sort of Veterans Aid - basically aid for the soldiers of the war. Start it up for the veterans of the Black Day, and then it becomes a regular expenditure, I think there is a sense of poetry that rather than Constantinople getting the spoils of war, it goes to the soldiers they abused when fighting. Plus it maintains the idea of the army as a really good profession choice - if you live, you get a government pension!

I can't imagine there's any reason to try to replace the Hagia Sofia. Especially given that we know Odysseus hates Constantinople. Likely he'd be more inclined to spend that money somewhere he actually likes. Really though he strikes me as the type to use the spoils to fund further wars.
I don't think Athena would allow Odysseus to spend so much money on the military. She'll balance it out, after all their father told her to help balance Odysseus tendencies. He'll listen to her, their close and respect each other.

Lol exactly what I asked some time ago, if Ody will have a great adventure to the far east. I hope like his namesake there would be a great tale to be told. Fits the narrative as well, but we'll see about that soon enough.

I don't think Athena would allow Odysseus to spend so much money on the military. She'll balance it out, after all their father told her to help balance Odysseus tendencies. He'll listen to her, their close and respect each other.
That's possible, but the Empire legitimately has about a hundred and ten things that money would be better spent on than trying to outdo an already fantastic cathedral. There's simply no need, and a desperate need in other areas outside the capital, such as rebuilding ruined infrastructure, fortification projects, and projects to make sure you don't have a bunch of disgruntled, traumatized veterans turning to banditry or open revolt as the massive imperial military tries to transition to peace.

If/when Ody conquers Mesopotamia let's just hope he doesn't wreck the infrastructure like how his ancestors have in the past.

It'll be impossible to hold if it's a burning husk, and I would say taking Basra would be the goal here, having a port in the Persian gulf will expand the options available for RITE.

If/when Ody conquers Mesopotamia let's just hope he doesn't wreck the infrastructure like how his ancestors have in the past.

It'll be impossible to hold if it's a burning husk, and I would say taking Basra would be the goal here, having a port in the Persian gulf will expand the options available for RITE.

Tbh, securing Basra is the key to a few things, one of which is the Persian gulf, and obviously Mesopotamia itself - being able to project power and have two lines of supply, river or sea, will be great, but what interests me is Najaf an Al Hirah. Najaf would be great to have secure control over, primarily for the Shia pilgrimage revenues, whilst Al Hirah I'm pretty sure is gone at this point, but it could be refounded as a place to either settle folks from more secure regions of the Empire, or (my preference) as a place for Christian Arabs to set up, essentially creating a band of Christian Arabs between the Roman Empire in Syria and Mesopotamia, and the rest of Arabia, effectively insulating the Roman Middle East from the south, and potentially a good group to lean on if there are future wars with the Ottomans.

I was just hit by the realization that if in the Ottoman Empire that the Turks primarily live in Mesopotamia, and they've been jockeying with Persians for cultural preference in the Empire... if this coming war trashes Mesopotamia it could potentially solidify the empire as a (more) truly Persian entity

An interesting thing to keep in mind after the war of the wrath is that the islamic world will essentially be split into three between north africa, Arabia and Persia long since have the days past since Rome seemed only a few centuries away from being swallowed by the ever expanding tentacles of Islam. Almost all communication between Muslim powers will need to travel through Rome and the efficiency of the office of barbarians means that the Romans will always be aware if the Maranids and Ottomans decide to gang up on the Empire in the future.

This is true @Frame, arguably Rhomania has the best and the worst geopolitical situation being situated literally at the center of the world (if you look at a map with Europe in the center). As for knowing if any Islamic coalition, the Latins could just as easily be utilized as a go-between. After all, the Triunes did aid the Ottomans in their naval development didn't they? (or was it just trading partners?)

I believe the Triunes directly helped build up the Ottoman army. If memory serves i think they are even have an official Alliance with them. If I'm not just talking out of my ass said alliance has been its going to be an interesting aspect of the upcoming war of the wrath specifically in the indian ocean. Perhaps that will be how the Romans will get their third island in the Atlantic

As far as I know the Triunes are still at war with the Germans and likely will be for a while yet. Even if they aren’t they’ll still be recovering from that war and they’re a decade out of peace deal with the Romans. The Triunes are gonna leave the ottomans to their fate. It’s not worth it in treasure or geopolitically. The Romans would likely just take sack, burn, or take over the cape colony and pirate the Caribbean (does it have a different name in TTL?) while the Triunes maybe gain two sugar islands assuming they can take them.

Man I've been listening to the history of Byzantium podcast and hearing the slow and painful decline of the empire hurts so much that I've forced myself to pretend that the age of miracles will happen and the decline is only a phase lmao

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Man I've been listening to the history of Byzantium podcast and hearing the slow and painful decline of the empire hurts so much that I've forced myself to pretend that the age of miracles will happen and the decline is only a phase lmao
It is sad to listen or read about it but it is also a bit inspiring that it fought on till the last, refusing to just roll over and die despite all the wounds.

For sure Rome starting out as a city state and then conquering the world then over time being reduced to a city state but never giving up their Roman sense of pride even though it means certain death is quite poetic and beautiful. I prefer the Romans coming back with a vengeance and destroying venice though haha