An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

So I've been wondering what do the religous demographics in Rhoman Libya look like? Are they mostly muslim with a christian ruling class or something else? Also i know Libya consists of a series of vassles I'm just calling it that for short

Speaking of Roman Africa, I had read somewhere that there used to be an African Romance language, similar to Sardinian. If it survived to the founding of the state of Carthage, maybe it influenced Carthage's weird Italian-Berber mishmash that they call Carthaginian.

Speaking of Roman Africa, I had read somewhere that there used to be an African Romance language, similar to Sardinian. If it survived to the founding of the state of Carthage, maybe it influenced Carthage's weird Italian-Berber mishmash that they call Carthaginian.
It did survive in very limited amounts into about the time Genoa had colonized it but it was almost completely extinct. At most I can imagine a few words carrying over, depends on how different it was from Italian though

Ngl i really miss Al-Andalus I hope their legacy can live on through that colony they had in south america. Perhaps it could become independent some day and we'll see a muslim majority state in south America

Ngl i really miss Al-Andalus I hope their legacy can live on through that colony they had in south america. Perhaps it could become independent some day and we'll see a muslim majority state in south America

As implausible as it would have been I'd like to have seen a surviving Al-Andalus too, if only because I'm a total mark for non-unifed nations.

A fractured Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, China? Sign me up! That's one of my favorite alt history tropes.

As implausible as it would have been I'd like to have seen a surviving Al-Andalus too, if only because I'm a total mark for non-unifed nations.

A fractured Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, China? Sign me up! That's one of my favorite alt history tropes.
You may very well get your wish in germany! I can't imagine any Rhoman emperor being omay with a unified germany. We'll just have to see though

So considering how much control Rhome has over Egypt is it possible they could try to force the Coptic churches hand into being in communion with Orthidoxy? Perhaps it would piss off Ethiopia but i really can't see them minding considering how close they are to Rhome already. There might be some important theological differences im not aware of that make it impossible tho

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
So considering how much control Rhome has over Egypt is it possible they could try to force the Coptic churches hand into being in communion with Orthidoxy? Perhaps it would piss off Ethiopia but i really can't see them minding considering how close they are to Rhome already. There might be some important theological differences im not aware of that make it impossible tho
I think that Rhome isn't going to touch that issue with a ten-mile pole. Trying to force the hands of one of Noble Heresies could cause negative reactions from the others, like the Armenians, and other allowed minorities. Not to mention that is how they lost control the first time and the Rhoman government has shown to not mind minority religions to prosper so long as they abide by Constantinople's will, which is where the Arab Sunni managed to make themselves persona non grata.

Last edited:
Wow looks like the Zeng are certainly no pushovers. Constantinople better hope they don't get too close to the Ottomans

A united China that is even remotely competent is a powerhouse. Zeng China has more people than Rhomania, the Triple Monarchy, the HRE, and the Russian Principalities combined.

A new power rising. But one with intense xenophobia. That will be trouble in the long run for them.

That will cause problems for them. But considering Chinese history ITTL, a nativist backlash was very realistic.

I feel they would find the everyday coffee weak, and watery. Thinking of something analogous to Turkish, or Levantine coffee. You have to almost cut it with scissors, but what a flavour.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. I miss Turkish coffee so much, there was a serbian restaurant that had the best Turkish coffee but is closed due to the quarantine

Only had Turkish coffee once, at a café next to Kos airport while waiting for the bus into town. Thought it was good, although I’m certain the glass of water that came with was for washing my teeth afterwards.

A united China never is really.

What is to everyone else's benefit is that current policy seems to be very weak in naval concerns. This will severely hamper their ability to project power.

For one, someone else will need to fight the naval wars. Against the Romans I'd expect Spain, and vice versa.

This means that the most likely situation - for China to assist the Ottomans, it will be a logistical nightmare and one that could shatter the Zeng if they overcommit - and I expect at the hands of the Khazars, Tibet and Ship Lords.

An army to ensure the Ottomans can pull a D3 on Constantinople will need to be similarly huge, and I doubt the Ottomans can really supply it. Even taking a huge amount of time to prepare supply depots, a supply chain from China Proper is insanely vulnerable to the Khazars. That means they'd have to survive on local supply or pillaging. That'll wreck the region. I'm not even convinced that if secure the overland route has the capacity.

Which leads us to the sea.

They have no window on sea, Oman, Ethiopia, the Romans and Ship Lords are all in the way. You'd need A Spanish-Triune domination to secure that. Sure a change in policy and developing a strong navy could flip that, but it doesn't look like that's happening. Even if that did happen there is Japan on the mix too who shouldn't be overlooked.

The Zeng at the moment might be best placed as a regional soft power that you don't want to face on land locally. But anyone expecting them to send a big enough army to save the Ottomans in the next war is going to be disappointed I expect.

Personally though I'm all for a glorious attempt by the Zeng, only for the new Khazar King to show he's got his predecessors skill and crushes the Zeng supply system and teaches them that they can't project out west militarily. Not without providing a literal slave army to the Khazars.

Zeng China might be able to send a small army to Central Asia; the Tang were overlords of the region after all. But we’re talking a few thousand men. The Chinese aid to the Ottomans would be economic rather than directly military.

One interesting development of the Pyrgos trade hub could be the introduction of modern banking into China. One of the many reasons that traditional Chinese economic growth kept periodically getting hit with Malthusian population crises and dynastic collapses was that they didn't have the concept of long term money storage or fractional reserve banking. That meant all financial transactions were done between personal friends/family, involving transfer of float or actual hard currency. They had no interest or large scale loans. This wasn't at all conducive for the development of lending institutions or middle class entrepreneur class, so China stayed mostly rural. Add in endless population growth, bureaucratic bloat to deal with said increased population, and increasing division of farm plots, and you get poverty, corruption, inability to accumulate reserves, inability to import food, inability of government to pay for relief, and eventually collapse. They couldn't transition their economy to a more efficient configuration to deal with the pressures.

If the Zeng Imperial Government can get past their fanboy fascination with older dynasties and accept "barbarian" practices, then this China could become the sole global superpower in time. I don't expect them to at all ofc, since Confucian bias against greedy moneyed classes and the practice of trade that prevented banking in OTL China exists here too. Their disinterest in naval power is indicative of that.

Your last paragraph nailed. The Zeng want the silver they’re getting from trade in Pyrgos; they want nothing else.

The logistics to send Chinese armies to Mesopotamia certainly are not there. The logistics to send bullion to finance the Ottoman war effort probably are... as long as that much bullion is around.

The Chinese couldn’t single-handedly pay for the Ottoman war effort. The trade connections across the Silk Road provide a boost for Ibrahim. It’s not huge but every coin counts.

Why would they even do such a thing?

It’s a way for the Chinese to harass the Romans while not threatening Pyrgos and the flow of silver directly.

Recently binged this TL. I had read it before, a few years back, stopping when I hit the end of the Time of Troubles with the repeat of Heraklius' old campaign. That whole segment, from Theodoros to Andreas Drakos, what could be called the "Andread" is some of the best stuff on this site IMHO. I was delighted to see that the quality continued in the continuation. The War of Roman Succession is proving to be quite the interesting mess. Keep up the great work, @Basileus444 !

One thing I did notice while rereading is the weird hate on Demetrios II in this thread. I guess I just don't get it. To me, he seemed to be a passable emperor, who had to spend far too much time dealing with the mess Helena I left him and with a neverending string of plain bad luck. Facing off against Iskander could have gone a lot worse, and almost every defeat proved to be a result of a failure on the part of the Roman military leadership rather than from Constantinople. I think he deserves a bit of a break.

He made mistakes, no doubt about it. He also showed a fair bit of wisdom in other cases. Dismantling Hungary in the way he did earned him goodwill in the Balkans and laid the groundwork for the current, very pro-Roman, order.

Collectively the Drakid dynasty seemed to be something of a dud. That's how it goes sometimes. I think in the history books they'll be overshadowed by their predecessors and successors both.

Thank you for the kind words.

My personal opinion of Demetrios II is that he certainly wasn’t good, but he wasn’t terrible either. Maybe a ‘meh’. Guy was definitely a bit of a religious prude and had some mental issues.

I agree on the Drakoi being duds (which wasn’t planned, at least to the extent they were). And they’ll definitely be overshadowed.

I’ve forgotten what the altered upload schedule is going to be, could someone remind me?

Now aiming for the regular update schedule. The hiatus was meant to be a one-time thing; there was a week there where I was too distracted/stressed to work on this, so something had to give.

D2 was dealt a bad hand but also played it poorly. You are right, he is more or less blameless for the Battles of Nineveh from a tactical perspective. However, it was his diplomatic ham-handedness that prevented Georgia from joining that war in the first place. D2 just assumed they'd follow his lead without actually bothering to ask the king of Georgia. 15,000 Georgians at Nineveh sure would have been nice, huh? Not to mention that the rot in the imperial bureaucracy that led to the abomination that was the Treaty of Mashhadshar was allowed to fully fester during D2's long reign. So yes, he wasn't given a lot to work with but he still managed to make a mess of things all on his own,

Agree wholeheartedly with your first sentence. That said, I’d take him over Alexios III Angelos any day of the week.

Oooh, Zeng China on the rise!

I wonder what they think of Nan. If they even remember that it exists. Which they mightn't, considering that Nan currently has nothing worth conquering in the first place.

Yeah, I was wondering whether the Kyushu warlords have already invited the Koreans to Japan. Though considering that Korea had to send its soldiers literally halfway across the world, it might not be so keen on returning to the Chinese yoke.

*China is whoole again...*
*And then it brooke again...*

They’re aware of the Nan since they have contact with the Nan emigres in Pyrgos. Since they’re Chinese who fail to recognize Zeng authority though, Luoyang doesn’t like them.

The Aisin Gioros want to know your location. If the Jurchens have managed to take advantage of the Tieh's collapse and unite Manchuria and even parts of Mongolia, they will be a constant threat to the Son of Heaven as the Qing in OTL did. The Zeng still face the perennial problems of nomads but maybe this time it is the Hermit Kingdom which will rise out of its shell if they can harness the power of the steppe. (Goguryeo Ascendant 2.0?)

Put a pin in that thought.

Is it time? Are we getting a Salsu repeat? God I hope so...

*China reunifies ITTL*
The Lord taketh
*Their naval policy is worse than how the OTL Knicks run an NBA team*
The Lord giveth as well haha

The Zeng are trying to emulate the Tang, not the Sui, dangit! ;)

So I've been wondering what do the religous demographics in Rhoman Libya look like? Are they mostly muslim with a christian ruling class or something else? Also i know Libya consists of a series of vassles I'm just calling it that for short

Muslim vassal rulers lording it over Muslim subjects on the coast, with the tribes of the interior acknowledging no lord save God. Roman presence here is extremely light.

It did survive in very limited amounts into about the time Genoa had colonized it but it was almost completely extinct. At most I can imagine a few words carrying over, depends on how different it was from Italian though

Wasn’t aware of that. Considering the lateness of the POD though I doubt there was much, if any, influence.

Al-Andalus died for the same reason Nan. I had no idea what to do with them, but had ideas for states replacing them. (This is an OOC reason for the Marinids lasting so long; I’d end up just replacing them with a new dynasty that fills the same niche, so why bother?)

I think that Rhome isn't going to touch that issue with a ten-mile pole. Trying to force the hands of one of Noble Heresies could cause negative reactions from the others, like the Armenians, and other allowed minorities. Not to mention that is how they lost control the first time and the Rhoman government has shown to not mind minority religions to prosper so long as they abide by Constantinople's will, which is where the Arab Sunni managed to make themselves persona non grata.

Ethiopia would be pissed, really pissed. The Orthodox can get away with shoving around the Thomasine Christians, but there’s too many Copts. Trying to force the Coptic Church, which has been out of communion with the Orthodox for literally over a thousand years at this point, back into communion with the Orthodox (which really means become Orthodox), is a course of events that would have Ibrahim cackling in delight. It’d be the best way to blow up Rhomania’s eastern frontier.

The Zeng are trying to emulate the Tang, not the Sui, dangit! ;)

The tradition of shitty Chinese “cosplays” has to come from somewhere...

“Hey minister!”

“Your Heavenry Majesty? Why you so angery? I don’t want no trabble.”

“I had our clothiers make a bunch of stuff for me so I could look like a T’ang Dynasty Emperor! This bullshit look-a-like-a Sui court garments! And now I hear the king of the Jyusin has married his son to the daughter of the king of Samhan? And now the Koreans have a foothold in Xuantu again? Are you deadass?”

“Well, maybe? I didn’t oversee that.”

“FUCK! We’re gonna get our army drowned by a man-made flash flood again, aren’t we? It’s always ‘you be physician’ or ‘you be yangban’ with those chumps until one Korean parent goes ‘you be landscaper or engineer’ and it all. Goes. To. Shit.”

“If it’s any consoration, your heavenship, we’re too far away from Pyrgos to hear how hard the Romans are raughing at us.”

“At least we still have that. And stop talking like that! Pronounce your ‘L’s correctly, this isn’t one of those raunchy and offensive theater productions they hold in the Southern Park.”

Thomas1195

Banned
All the discussions regarding Industrial Revolution here have missed the biggest elephant in the room: IOTL the heart of the Second Industrial Revolution was no longer in Europe. A liberal regime that controls the Great Lake and Northeastern seabed of OTL North America would lead the world.

Last edited:

Thomas1195

Banned
The great weaknesses of Rhome include:
- A coup tradition that is on par with OTL Latin America (this would affect everything including industrialization).
- A multi-cultural/religion/ethnic society on par with OTL Ottoman Empire/A-H Empire/Russian Empire (certainly worse than Triune).
- Probably slavery as a power institution, and there are likely lots of influential slave-owners and slave traders in Rhome.

The fate of Rhome as a great power is a coin toss. The possibility of becoming a meme state (I mean, OTL Ottoman Empire) is as high as becoming a great power. If another War of Five Emperors occurs in the mid-to late-19th century onwards then Rhomania is toasted. Such a war would combine dynastic power struggle with various nationalist/separatist/abolitionist/religious fundamentalist movements. And foreign powers would waste no chance to intervene.

You can even have a crazy Emperor decides to sign some capitulation treaties with the Latins and thus kickstarts a Roman economic decline (that happened with OTL Ottoman Empire).

Last edited:

Thomas1195

Banned
They have some Caribbean islands with sugar plantations.
If Spain is weakened, Triune should definitely seize the Strait of Gibralta, and then link up with the Ottoman Empire to conquer the TTL version of Suez Canal, and seize Malta as well. These moves should be able contain Rhome.

The great weaknesses of Rhome include:
- A coup tradition that is on par with OTL Latin America (this would affect everything including industrialization).
- A multi-cultural/religion/ethnic society on par with OTL Ottoman Empire/A-H Empire/Russian Empire (certainly worse than Triune).
- Probably slavery as a power institution, and there are likely lots of influential slave-owners and slave traders in Rhome.

The fate of Rhome as a great power is a coin toss. The possibility of becoming a meme state (I mean, OTL Ottoman Empire) is as high as becoming a great power. If another War of Five Emperors occurs in the mid-to late-19th century onwards then Rhomania is toasted. Such a war would combine dynastic power struggle with various nationalist/separatist/abolitionist/religious fundamentalist movements. And foreign powers would waste no chance to intervene.

You can even have a crazy Emperor decides to sign some capitulation treaties with the Latins and thus kickstarts a Roman economic decline (that happened with OTL Ottoman Empire).

1. They're trying to fix that ancient venerable tradition of coups. They might well succeed.

2. Yes, but unlike the Ottomans or the Russians or Austria-Hungary, Romania has one identity that goes beyond the Greek/Turkish/Armenian/Bulgarian/Kurdish etc. divide. They are Romans first.

3. No, because chattel slavery and serfdom (which is what I presume you mean) were never prevalent in Romania. I guess there are domestic slaves, but nothing else in most of the Empire. Cyprus and the Caribbean are the only regions of the Empire where slavery is an integral part of the economy. But as American sugar production increases more and more, Roman sugar magnates grow weaker and weaker. Moreover, there are few Roman slave traders. The Mediterranean slave trade is in the hands of the Ethiopians, because they buy directly from the source and ship the slaves to Alexandria, where Roman merchants take over. The Atlantic slave trade is entirely in the hands of the Portuguese, I guess, due to their extensive contacts with Atlantic Africa. There is no influential Roman slave trader lobby, at any rate.

4. Such a War of Five Emperors would not occur in the 19th century precisely because of nationalism - Roman nationalism.

5. No self-respecting Roman Emperor would ever sign an unequal treaty with the Latins or anyone really. If he does, it would be a race between the army and the mob to see which one lynches the Emperor first.

Thomas1195

Banned
No self-respecting Roman Emperor would ever sign an unequal treaty with the Latins or anyone really. If he does, it would be a race between the army and the mob to see which one lynches the Emperor first
The problem is that OTL Ottoman capitulations first were signed by Suleiman the Magnificent from the position of power. You only need an overconfident Emperor to have the same thing occur.

Yes, but unlike the Ottomans or the Russians or Austria-Hungary, Romania has one identity that goes beyond the Greek/Turkish/Armenian/Bulgarian/Kurdish etc. divide. They are Romans first.
Greeks/Turkish/Armenians/Bulgarians/Kurdish/Serbians/Slavs/Arabs are distinct people with distinct religions/cultures/languages and with sufficiently significant population... so logically Roman Empire should become a hotbed of early nationalist/separatist movements. In addition, Rhome has lots of hostile neighbours and enemies due to its strategical geographical position.

But, I will wait and see and watch how things will play out for the Romans ITTL. Most likely it will end well for them in this specific TL.

The problem is that OTL Ottoman capitulations first were signed by Suleiman the Magnificent from the position of power. You only need an overconfident Emperor to have the same thing occur.

Greeks/Turkish/Armenians/Bulgarians/Kurdish/Serbians/Slavs/Arabs are distinct people with distinct religions/cultures/languages and with sufficiently significant population... so logically Roman Empire should become a hotbed of early nationalist/separatist movements. In addition, Rhome has lots of hostile neighbours and enemies due to its strategical geographical position.

But, I will wait and see and watch how things will play out for the Romans ITTL. Most likely it will end well for them in this specific TL.
Well the turks were almost completely assimilated and the bulgarians let's say after some ethnic cleansing an no longer a major thread..